• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Ah yes. Those quick fix guards that were soooo "common sense" yet overtime that will collect dust and actually scratch your screen.

Now I'm not absolving their blame for the hardware. But how can people complain so much about an anecdotal case of screen scratching and not want to get a screen protector.
So people can't complain unless they buy a screen protector? Or should they not complain if they've bought a screen protector? What are the requirements for complaining about an obvious design flaw?

I still stand behind the Tempered glass protectors.

Still waiting to hear back from people with Ozrly protectors.

amFilm has been good for me and a few others.

Me

Septimus Prime

I ordered the amFilm protector, but reading that article about dbrand cancelling their Switch skins because the adhesive damaged the underlying plastic when removed has kind of got me paranoid. Do we know that the screen itself is exempt from that issue?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It doesn't make sense to me. Have there been other people who have had scratches as bad as the OP or Blunty?

Not microscratches as mentioned by others, I'm talking about the dock apparently causing really deep scratches that leave deep lines compared to seeing lines that appear when reflected against light.

I would not be surprised, it is really really difficult for the console not to run against the plastic edges inside the dock... for a £279 I expected this to work a bit better (line some parts that rub against the screen with something less abrasive than hard plastic perhaps?).

ggx2ac

So what's the answer you're looking for, here?

Do you think they are lying? That they scratched the shit out of their systems to make up problems for Nintendo?

What doesn't make sense for you? Several (many?) people are having issues with their docks scratching their consoles. I'm just not sure why you're so suspicious of those two people you mentioned.

Woah there, why are you getting so defensive?

I am just wondering what the cause is.

Yes, there will be friction from sliding the Switch down the dock, that is inevitable. What I don't get is deep lines of scratches occurring. Even if the dock is bent inwards, the Switch would have to be getting squeezed to apply more friction to go sliding down the dock which could cause worse scratches, maybe.

I hate shit like this, that console could have gone to a kid, instead someone ruins it for no good reason.

It would be nice if they actually donate a few consoles with all the money they get from the video, it would also be good publicity for them. I'm sure some of this channels do this already, hopefully.

M_A_C

Anyone have a good design explanation as to why the dock has to cover the screen? Why couldn't they do it Surface Pro dock style?

My guess would be for marketing reasons. It reinforces the idea that this thing is a console.

yeah that makes no sense to me at all. They could have even used the screen for something while it's docked, even if it's just a clock or something simple like that.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Woah there, why are you getting so defensive?

I am just wondering what the cause is.

Yes, there will be friction from sliding the Switch down the dock, that is inevitable. What I don't get is deep lines of scratches occurring. Even if the dock is bent inwards, the Switch would have to be getting squeezed to apply more friction to go sliding down the dock which could cause worse scratches, maybe.

It's fine to ask questions, but the way that you frame it is attempting to shift blame on user error rather than Nintendo.

I ordered the amFilm protector, but reading that article about dbrand cancelling their Switch skins because the adhesive damaged the underlying plastic when removed has kind of got me paranoid. Do we know that the screen itself is exempt from that issue?

From what I understand it's the textured coating used on the device that's causing the issues. The screen doesn't have that coating.

shira

Anyone have a good design explanation as to why the dock has to cover the screen? Why couldn't they do it Surface Pro dock style?

My guess would be for marketing reasons. It reinforces the idea that this thing is a console.
Removes possible comparisons to Wii U.

The tactile sensation you feel when you slide the controllers on/off or the system in/out of the dock are supposed to feel unique and different than plugging into a charger or tapping a stream button.

SMattera

Removes possible comparisons to Wii U.

The tactile sensation you feel when you slide the controllers on/off or the system in/out of the dock are supposed to feel unique and different than plugging into a charger or tapping a stream button.

You could still design a dock that didn't have the front cover though. I agree with you though, it does distinguish it from Wii U.

Seen an imgur user whos dock scratches the back of the console too. maybe some adhesive backed moleskine like they use for Window tint in cars? this seems like bad design to me....

wowzors

I put some moleskin on mine till my glass protector comes in like two weeks. Hopefully the moleskin doesn't scratch it in the time being.

What's the clearance in millimeters between the dock and the Switch when mounted? Anyone try mounting small adhesive rubber pads along the inside of the dock?

What's the clearance in millimeters between the dock and the Switch when mounted? Anyone try mounting small adhesive rubber pads along the inside of the dock?

I did, it's very tight.

33235623175_70eeb852bc_h.jpg

With Electrical Tape

It's basically flush.

melman101

To be fair, they do show a second Switch that they plan on giving away...

I'm going to cancel mine. I have the Hori Premium which bubbles up around the edges and was a pain in the ass to get on. I complained to Amazon and they refunded my money. However, I ordered the amfilm right away but am going to cancel it. I don't like messing with adhesives and heat. Maybe I'll buy the cheaper Hori and see how that goes.

I'm going to cancel mine. I have the Hori Premium which bubbles up around the edges and was a pain in the ass to get on. I complained to Amazon and they refunded my money. However, I ordered the amfilm right away but am going to cancel it. I don't like messing with adhesives and heat. Maybe I'll buy the cheaper Hori and see how that goes.

So you cancelled a tempered glass protector, and are considering the cheap Hori protector which is also reportedly having problems because of a single reddit post? If Heat is really the issue, than I can't imagine any other screen protector will fare better. We have no confirmation on what is causing the issues either. I still have a hard time believing it could be heat that's causing it.

hiim_haz

Banned
I noticed a really small mark on the left bezel of my Switch screen, which I can only presume is from the dock. Even though I'm really careful taking it in and out of it, pretty shitty.

Grechy34

I put a screen protector on mine as soon as I purchased it. It bubbled a little because they always do when I put those things on but at the end of the day I have saved myself the stress of potentially damaging the console and sacrificed little and have enjoyed Zelda immensely. PROTECT IT FOLKS!

Ellite25

So I put moleskin on the inside and don't like the way it made my switch for (too snug and it was leaving smudges) so I took it off only to be stuck with a sticky residue which is sure to fuck on my screen. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

So I put moleskin on the inside and don't like the way it made my switch for (too snug and it was leaving smudges) so I took it off only to be stuck with a sticky residue which is sure to fuck on my screen. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Rubbing alcohol and a Qtip and some patience. Good luck.

Veitsev

If rubbing alcohol doesn't work go buy some goo gone spray. Apply it on a cloth in small amounts and remove the residue then do the same with soap and water. Don't apply too much as it can get somewhat slimey. The soap and water is to get rid of the light residue it leaves behind.

bumpkin

Damn, I took a close look at my Switch tonight and spotted one or two little scratches. I can count on one hand how many times I've docked/undocked the system since Friday, but damn if it's not a bummer. I've been super careful. They're only visible if I look at the system in the right lighting/angle, but I'll be if this doesn't seem like an egregious oversight on Nintendo's engineer's parts. I've never been crazy about screen protectors, I can never get them on correctly/evenly/bubble-free. Maybe I'll thumb through the thread and find the padding suggestion that makes the most sense for me.

linkboy

Damn, I took a close look at my Switch tonight and spotted one or two little scratches. They're only visible if I look at the system in the right lighting/angle, but I'll be if this doesn't seem like an egregious oversight on Nintendo's engineer's parts. I've never been crazy about screen protectors, I can never get them on correctly/evenly/bubble-free. Maybe I'll thumb through the thread and find the padding suggestion that makes the most sense for me.

I'm the same way with screen protectors, but the glass ones are super easy to install. I put one on my Vita a few weeks ago and it went on perfectly.

To remove friction against the screen when sliding it down the dock.

Although I wonder if it will fall forward.

That doesn't seem like overkill? Again, some simple and cheap felt tape would fix it and not require destroying the dock. Ordered it from Amazon for $9 on Friday and it arrived today.

Haines

Banned
So is anybody actually seeing scratches on there screen?

Or is everyone so focused on fixing something ober one persons issue?

Cranzor

My Switch has a scratch on the back now. :( No idea how. It's in a weird shape though so I'm not sure if it's from the dock or not.

Damn, I took a close look at my Switch tonight and spotted one or two little scratches. I can count on one hand how many times I've docked/undocked the system since Friday, but damn if it's not a bummer. I've been super careful. They're only visible if I look at the system in the right lighting/angle, but I'll be if this doesn't seem like an egregious oversight on Nintendo's engineer's parts. I've never been crazy about screen protectors, I can never get them on correctly/evenly/bubble-free. Maybe I'll thumb through the thread and find the padding suggestion that makes the most sense for me.

Buy a glass screen protector or buy the basic HORI one for 10 bucks. It's incredibly easy to apply and even easier to remove any bubbles when you're done.

Top Bottom