• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Nintendo Switch's screen is extremely hard to crack on drops, unlike any kind of glass, gorilla or not.

And Nintendo has always been all about durability.

Meanwhile my iPhone 6s+ display that cost 3x a Nintendo Switch, also scratches like hell even with glass.

because the screen is plastic not glass.

Dreamwriter said:
This is a shitty comparison. You're comparing a guitar whose function is to make sound to a tablet whose function is to DISPLAY content.

Of course people will feel some kind of way when their displays get scratched.
You apparently don't realize what the problem is - the display will never get scratched unless you are crazy uncareful. There are rails that face the screen on the left and right sides, those rails if they scratch anything will scratch the black bezel, not the part which displays content.
So it's ok for you? Even if it is, it isn't for other people.
I didn't say anything was OK, I was responding to a person who said that the part that's being scratched is the part that displays content, and that is incorrect. The guide rails are lined up with the bezels, not the screen.

hlhbk

Ok I have taken all the screws put of the back of the dock. How do I get the faceplate off? It doesn't want to budge.

Fyi to anyone considering this method once you get the inital screws out there are smore screws deeper to get the front panel off. Unfortunately i need a longer screw driver so this will need to wait.

Oh, sorry if I didn't make it clear. Yes it's plastic and it's the more durable choice vs glass.
In some ways, yes. In others, like scratching, no. Especially when it's designed to slide in and out of a poorly QC'd dock made of plastic that can scratch plastic.

There are types of glass used on mobile devices that are very resistant to scratching and breaking. I guess it's too much to expect from a $300 device (lol). Nintendo's margins on this thing must be enormous.

In some ways, yes. In others, like scratching, no. Especially when it's designed to slide in and out of a poorly QC'd dock made of plastic that can scratch plastic.

There are types of glass used on mobile devices that are very resistant to scratching and breaking. I guess it's too much to expect from a $300 device (lol).

Vita Slim uses gorilla glass. No idea why they didn't just use that for the Switch.

Buys $300 piece of hardware with a touch screen.

Doesn't buy $8 dollar screen protector.

👌🏿
Because screen protectors are fucking shit.

And stop shifting blame from Nintendo's poor design decisions to the players using the device as intended. 3DS all over again, in every way.

Jumeira

Banned

👌🏿

Unbelievable. Why are you trying to shift responsibility away from Nintendo? Consumers shouldn't need to invest in measures by using the system as intended.

shiyrley

Banned
Guys it's a machine not a Picasso

I have a $10,000 guitar and it's covered with scratches. Each scratch is a story and makes the instrument cooler. Ever heard of distressing? Golden Goose Deluxe Brand sneakers?

You sound like a bunch of old women. Git gud.
jirky5q.jpg

D.Lo

Because screen protectors are fucking shit.

And stop shifting blame from Nintendo's poor design decisions to the players using the device as intended. 3DS all over again, in every way.
Keep ignoring the posts that say it's been proven more durable from drops than glass.

Azerare

Unbelievable. Why are you trying to shift responsibility away from Nintendo? Consumers shouldn't need to invest in measures by using the system as intended.
I mean scratches are inevitable without a screen protector. People get them for phones, tablets, etc. What makes this any different. It's a real easy cheap solution. But I guess it's easier to just complain about it and not remedy it.

hlhbk

I mean scratches are inevitable without a screen protector. People get them for phones, tablets, etc. What makes this any different. It's a real easy cheap solution. But I guess it's easier to just complain about it and not remedy it.

Screen protectors take away from the IQ imo. I hate them. I have tablets and a galaxy s7 edge and dont have any scratches on them.

Rellik

Why people would even use tablet like device without a screen protector is beyond me. As far as I'm concerned, you guys deserve that shit lol.

👌🏿

Lol some of the most pathetic brand loyalty you'll ever see across 2 posts right here.

That bent dock is shocking. Nintendo should be replacing those for you guys.

Bullshit. Never had a screen protector in my life and not a single scratch. My phone doesn't even have a case and has been dropped a few times... 0 scratches.

Was just about to buy some felt stoppers until I read Kagoshima_Luke and appleofenlightenment's posts stating that adding felt or micro fiber potentially increases the potential for both pressure damage and scratches in the long run due to the material gathering dust and particles over time. My dock doesn't seem crooked from what I can tell so not overly worried about this for now, will keep eye on it though of course.

👌🏿
To protect the screen from scratching itself with it's own hardware from it's intended function?

Make sure you get checked at a nearby clinic, I'm not sure your brain is receiving enough oxygen. Same for the other posters defending this shit. The fact that people need to jam books, get out heatguns, and fasten ghetto-ass screen guards is fucking surreal-ass shit right now. This has to be one of the most faulty hardware launches in the last decade.

The Cowboy

Screen protectors take away from the IQ imo. I hate them. I have tablets and a galaxy s7 edge and dont have any scratches on them.
Same I have an edge to, with no case and no screen protector - not a mark on it due to the great anti scratch glass on it.

When phones/tablets use good glass, you don't need a screen protector IMO.

Mikey Jr.

I was laughing reading this thread. Ripping apart the dock, buying felt tape, crooked docks, scratches, cramming shit into the dock.

I'm not laughing at you guys, just this whole fucked up situation.

What got me though is the guy who took apart the dock.

The Cowboy

People should not need a screen protector for a design problem, is this hard to understand? :/
Yeah, it's really bizarre isn't it.

To suggest/need a screen protector against the devices own included docking station is just weird, by all means suggest them for out and about, but if the device needs a screen protector to guard against its own dock which comes with it, then it should have came with one.

Yeah, it's really bizarre isn't it. To suggest/need a screen protector against the devices own included docking station is just weird.

If the device needs a screen protector to guard against its own dock - it should have came with one.

This is beyond true. I couldn't agree more but unfortunately that isn't the world we live in. If you have a switch right now and want to keep it scratch free a screen protector pretty much a necessity, as much as that sucks.

ggx2ac

I won't be getting a screen protector however, I do want to see if I end up getting scratches as bad as in the OP or that video from Blunty(?) that someone posted.

Surface level scratches aren't a big deal for me since I've got them on my DS and 3DS but I never notice them during gameplay.

The weird part is how the scratches on the two sources I mentioned seem to have scratches that are deeper than that which is why I'm still wondering how that happened.

I won't be getting a screen protector however, I do want to see if I end up getting scratches as bad as in the OP or that video from Blunty(?) that someone posted.

Surface level scratches aren't a big deal for me since I've got them on my DS and 3DS but I never notice them during gameplay.

The weird part is how the scratches on the two sources I mentioned seem to have scratches that are deeper than that which is why I'm still wondering how that happened.

my guess is, the scratches are deeper because their dock is bent more severely than others so there is more pressure being applied to the screen so when you pull it out it's digging in much much deeper. I don't know that for sure, it's just my theory.

People should not need a screen protector for a design problem, is this hard to understand? :/

Is this true though. It seems a trade-off between durability vs scratches. Quality of screen is super clean anyway. Almost all mobile devices need screenprotector aswell.

Is this hard to understand?

Still haven't used my dock yet, but I just took a closer look at it and noticed it is bent inwards slightly. I'm just going to keep using it strictly as a handheld until this shit is sorted out.

Is this true though. It seems a trade-off between durability vs scratches. Quality of screen is super clean anyway. Almost all mobile devices need screenprotector aswell.

Is this hard to understand?
Is the OP and the entire thread hard to understand? Mobile devices don't come with mandatory docks that scratch the mobile device when used as intended. Have you missed the dozens of pics of inward bent docks? How is your point remotely relevant?

Jumeira

Banned
None of those machines provide guards for using official equipment, not a good argument and another attempt to absolve Nintendo from blame.

ggx2ac

my guess is, the scratches are deeper because their dock is bent more severely than others so there is more pressure being applied to the screen so when you pull it out it's digging in much much deeper. I don't know that for sure, it's just my theory.

It doesn't make sense to me. Have there been other people who have had scratches as bad as the OP or Blunty?

Not microscratches as mentioned by others, I'm talking about the dock apparently causing really deep scratches that leave deep lines compared to seeing lines that appear when reflected against light.

It doesn't make sense to me. Have there been other people who have had scratches as bad as the OP or Blunty?

Not microscratches as mentioned by others, I'm talking about the dock apparently causing really deep scratches that leave deep lines compared to seeing lines that appear when reflected against light.
So what's the answer you're looking for, here?

Do you think they are lying? That they scratched the shit out of their systems to make up problems for Nintendo?

What doesn't make sense for you? Several (many?) people are having issues with their docks scratching their consoles. I'm just not sure why you're so suspicious of those two people you mentioned.

If the screen heated up really badly that would make it easier to scratch. Removing the unit and replacing it while the screen was warm from playing could have done it. Again it's just my theory. I don't know what else it could be. I mean I guess it's possible that they are faking it and it just so happen to turn into a real problem for others but it seems unlikely.

Coffinhal

Not true, a good tempered glass screen protector with a >99% rate doesn't change anything. You won't notice it 30 seconds after your start playing anyway.

Seik

Banned

👌🏿

Sorry man, but no.

The dock is poorly done, that's it. I have one and I'm not supposed to fear that my system get scratched by its own equipment.

You have scratches on them. That's the innovation of Gorilla Glass; it gets scratched, but the vast majority of scratches aren't visible in visible light.

Azerare

None of those machines provide guards for using official equipment, not a good argument and another attempt to absolve Nintendo from blame.
Ah yes. Those quick fix guards that were soooo "common sense" yet overtime that will collect dust and actually scratch your screen.

Now I'm not absolving their blame for the hardware. But how can people complain so much about an anecdotal case of screen scratching and not want to get a screen protector.

SMattera

Anyone have a good design explanation as to why the dock has to cover the screen? Why couldn't they do it Surface Pro dock style?

My guess would be for marketing reasons. It reinforces the idea that this thing is a console.

Top Bottom