• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

RobotVM

Alright after reading more of the thread I am now thinking my scratches could be smudges like other users. I am going to buy some windex wipes and see if I can get them off. I know my standard wipe didn't take them off.

0racle

1. That can be used for a USB to USB - C cable to charge the Switch Pro Controller, not much other use for now.

2. You can put it to sleep if you want (If you are in a game it will suspend the game as well) and use up a bit of power so when you come back to play you can wake it up and hop right back into your game. OR you can power it down completely (It will charge both the system and the Joy-Con if they are attached either way.)

3. If it is 100% charged and the Joy-Con are 100% charged and it is in the dock with will just draw off the USB-C Power until you remove it from the docking station.

Thank you, is there a light indicator to see the battery status of the joycons?

Peltz

Been undocking and redocking since Thursday. No scratches.. no screen protector.

It definitely feels like there's a lot of room inside the dock and I'm able to put it in without touching the wall of the dock. It's a bit of an odd design though and Nintendo should've foreseen this issue beforehand.

I think the reason why they went with this design was to distinguish the Switch a bit more from the Wii U from a visual standpoint.

Resilient

I'm laughing my ass off at all these "it wasn't a scratch, just a smudge!!" Posts. I wonder how many of those people ended up returning their Swifch.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Until my protector comes in, I went ahead and cut up an old iPhone protector I had and placed it simply on the lower parts of the bezel that are prone to scratching. Sure it looks kinda cheap, but it'll do.

I'm a little worried that so many people are adding potentially damaging extra padding to their docks and trying to bend them and such, all based on the op video (which I also think is suspect) and some pics in this thread (several of which are clearly smudges).

Haha. Yeah, the tightness that people must be creating with extra padding doesn't seem like a great idea. The fit is already tight enough and if something gets into whatever pads they're using, then they're definitely gonna get a scratch.

Great to hear. I'll see if I can get this off later today.

Yeah, then let us know how it goes. That picture makes it look so extreme that I'm curious to how it turns out.

But if it comes off, you should update your original post with such info.

Hey guys,

I have some confusion with my system as I just set it up.

- what is the USB for on the dock?

As another use for the USB port, I have a USB-to-ethernet adapter that I had for my WiiU, and use that to hardwire to my Internet connection when it's docked.

So, I've been busy to chime in on this thread, but I've had a similar scenario to the most recent posts.

i did get some lines on the bezel part of the switch. I tried cleaning with cloth and they stayed. I used a bit of eyeglasses cleaner on the cloth and used a bit of force and both sides came off, clean as a whistle.

Not to say no one has had real scratches, but for some odd reason, my smudges were really hard to clean.

vampyren

Neo Member
Every Switch design decission seems like a master plan to make you buy some accesory.

No dpad? Buy a Pro
Docking scratch it? buy a screen portector.
Grips doesn't charge it? Buy the charging grip.

hehe my thought exactly, there are so many things i think they intentionally made just to force people to buy the next itteration and call it a upgrade version or + or whatever.
Like the charge port being on the bottom, the kickstand being flimsy, screen being made of plastic and getting scratches easily, the dock , the joycon side thing going on the wrong way and destroying the joycon, etc etc.
I want to love the switch but for this much cash and accessory i bough (around 500 including Pro controller, screen protector, case, game) i think these issues should not exist in the final product. Hell a few gamers would have figured out these issues in a few days. What the hell is Nintendo doing.

RobotVM

Can confirm I do have scratches. I used Glass cleaning wipes and put a lot of force and it did not come off. I will probably return the unit after I finish Zelda but within the 15 day return window.

So, I've been busy to chime in on this thread, but I've had a similar scenario to the most recent posts.

i did get some lines on the bezel part of the switch. I tried cleaning with cloth and they stayed. I used a bit of eyeglasses cleaner on the cloth and used a bit of force and both sides came off, clean as a whistle.

Not to say no one has had real scratches, but for some odd reason, my smudges were really hard to clean.

Could be that the that people with real scratches on the bezel area are the ones whose docks are warped and the hard plastic parts cause damage. I didn't know this and first thought some people were really careless, since the scratches look really bad. But that warped plastic thing seems a real issue and needs to be addressed without question.

A normal dock seems unlikely to do so. It is only these "stains" in the lower corners which I first thought were fingerprints, then thought were damages since a dry wipe did not do much and then realised it were remainings of those small rubbers in the dock. The stains can be cleaned completely with a little fluid and more pressure, like you said. If they disturb. They are not very noticeable anyway.

Seik

Banned
Yay my Orzly tempered glass protector shipped today!!! :D

''Estimated time of arrival: March 24th - April 18th''

D:

Could be that the that people with real scratches on the bezel area are the ones whose docks are warped and the hard plastic parts cause damage. I didn't know this and first thought some people were really careless, since the scratches look really bad. But that warped plastic thing seems a real issue and needs to be addressed without question.

A normal dock seems unlikely to do so. It is only these "stains" in the lower corners which I first thought were fingerprints, then thought were damages since a dry wipe did not do much and then realised it were remainings of those small rubbers in the dock. The stains can be cleaned completely with a little fluid and more pressure, like you said. If they disturb. They are not very noticeable anyway.

I see what you're saying.

So the Issue may be that warped docks are making contact near the top of the dock when sliding in or out.

Normally, though, the little rubber footies may smudge, but shouldn't be causing the scratches we see. Also, it makes sense that if the rubber is leaving smudges, that's why it's a bit harder to clean that just a normal print or smear.

neoglow

Banned
FYI, I just tested with a USB C male to female extension cable and it works fine. Will place the Switch in the Hori stand (when amazon figures out wtf is going with it), then connect it to the dock via the cable.

edit: Amazon link to the cable if anyone is interested, It's quite short, which is my only issue with it.

edit 2: You have to be careful with the cable inside the dock. It is VERY easy to lift it off. May just use tape to keep it down.

I had a feeling the USB C extension cable idea would work. Glad to see this. Thanks Samus4145 for testing it out.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

D:

Strange:
ThINPlI.png

Mine got moved up. It was originally a few more weeks out.

amFilm's tempered glass screen protector is now available to order through amazon prime (fulfillment by amazon). Though it says back-ordered and expected back in stock March 19th. I rather go through amazon fulfillment for the return policy.

shanafan

Alright after reading more of the thread I am now thinking my scratches could be smudges like other users. I am going to buy some windex wipes and see if I can get them off. I know my standard wipe didn't take them off.

I would suggest cleaning the screen with a microfiber cloth. I am not sure on the texture of your windex wipes, but you want something very soft. Also, not sure if windex is a proper product to use. Eyeglass cleaner would be a better solution, imo.

Strange:
ThINPlI.png

Mine got moved up. It was originally a few more weeks out.

I spoke with the Orzly people and they ship from the UK via Royal Mail to the us ( where I presume its handed to USPS).

They said, generally, the package will get to you in about 15 days from ship. No tracking # because it's too expensive.

Been undocking and redocking since Thursday. No scratches.. no screen protector.

It definitely feels like there's a lot of room inside the dock and I'm able to put it in without touching the wall of the dock. It's a bit of an odd design though and Nintendo should've foreseen this issue beforehand.

I think the reason why they went with this design was to distinguish the Switch a bit more from the Wii U from a visual standpoint.

When you guys are talking about the dock touching/bending/scratching the screen are you talking about the guides at the bottom that touch the bezel, or the walls of the dock or both?

My switch fits snugly into the guides and is definitely rubbing against them on either side. But it's not touching the walls of the dock at all. And while there is clearance it doesn't really wobble because it's held in place by the guides. It seems like it's all doing what it was at least intended to do. Haven't taken it in and out much but no scratches so far.

Seik

Banned
I spoke with the Orzly people and they ship from the UK via Royal Mail to the us ( where I presume its handed to USPS).

They said, generally, the package will get to you in about 15 days from ship. No tracking # because it's too expensive.

Oh well, I'll just try and be extra careful with my Switch until then.

Thanks for sharing your conversation with them with us though. :)

I'm in Canada though and on the protector's page it's written that it's sold by Orzly Canada (Amazon.ca)...I have no idea if that's just a name and it's still shipped by their UK office tough. I assume that's case, looking at my ETA.

D:

Mine shipped last Thursday since I pre-ordered them last month. Hopefully I'll get them this week.

Freaked out when I saw the smudges, especially since they wouldn't come off, even with water. I then used some Goo Gone...clean as a whistle.

ngower

Is the consensus here that the amFilm protectors are the best going right now, but they can lift slightly on the edges if they get too hot?

Does that USB-C adapter trick with the Hori stand work well? I might just stick with this as a handheld until someone figures something out.

Has anyone tried sawing off the front part of the dock, or is there tech in that part?

I see what you're saying.

So the Issue may be that warped docks are making contact near the top of the dock when sliding in or out.

Normally, though, the little rubber footies may smudge, but shouldn't be causing the scratches we see. Also, it makes sense that if the rubber is leaving smudges, that's why it's a bit harder to clean that just a normal print or smear.

Maybe it is a little premature since Nintendo has not commented on it and no serious reviewer in the web seemed to have made a comparison between warped / straight docks yet, but a small adaption to the thread title could help to calm the worries and discussions a bit. Or it would help early adopters to check the dock for deformation and return it right away.

I cannot say if a straight dock also "inevitably" scratches the screen, but if I look closely between the small space between bezel and dock on my unit, it seems unlikely, since the surfaces do not have contact in the docking processes. It may still happen though, maybe when not handled carefully. I don't know. Has not happened in 5 days to my screen. I will report of course, should a real an characteristical scratch in the bezel area appear.

When you guys are talking about the dock touching/bending/scratching the screen are you talking about the guides at the bottom that touch the bezel, or the walls of the dock or both?

My switch fits snugly into the guides and is definitely rubbing against them on either side. But it's not touching the walls of the dock at all. And while there is clearance it doesn't really wobble because it's held in place by the guides. It seems like it's all doing what it was at least intended to do. Haven't taken it in and out much but no scratches so far.

This is in no way conclusive. But, from what I can surmise, it seems that two key things are happening:

1) People have warped docks where the top of the dock will slant towards the back of the dock. Because of this, pulling it in and out is riskier because contact with the plastic edges is more likely.

2) People are getting smudges from the rubber footies that are on the guiding track of the dock. Now, this leads to 2 scenarios:

(a) Some people are getting marks from these rubber footies. However, it seems some people, like myself, have seen these marks, tried to clean, did not come off, and presumed they were scratched. But, people here have had success using a little force and some type of cleaner (I used eye glass cleaner because that's typically very mild. I can't attest to how safe something like windex would beat), which then resulted in the "scratches" being removed.

(b) People may be getting scratches from these rubber pieces alone. I can't confirm this because we would need to rule out contact with a warped dock. Presumably, though, any rough material that gets on those footies, and this would happen with any material, can rub on the screen when it passes through.

People correct me if I misspoke anywhere. That's what I think we're at.

Maybe it is a little premature since Nintendo has not commented on it and no serious reviewer in the web seemed to have made a comparison between warped / straight docks yet, but a small adaption to the thread title could help to calm the worries and discussions a bit. Or it would help early adopters to check the dock for deformation and return it right away.

I cannot say if a straight dock also "inevitably" scratches the screen, but if I look closely between the small space between bezel and dock on my unit, it seems unlikely, since the surfaces do not have contact in the docking processes. It may still happen though, maybe when not handled carefully. I don't know. Has not happened in 5 days to my screen. I will report of course, should a real an characteristical scratch in the bezel area appear.

Very good points.

My only theory is that any material can catch debris, or the screen itself could have a rough piece of lint, and the contact when sliding will scratch.

I recommend tilting the dock on its side, glass facing up, then pull the Switch out. If there were any weirdness going on it'd scratch the back since there would be a small but still large gap between the glass and plastic.

Now, I have to do this anyway, cause the tempered glass holding the TV up and the glass the dock sits on doesn't have a lot of room.

Got my unit on Friday. Docked it a few times and a notice a tiny scratch on the left side. It's barely visible but a scratch nonetheless. I tried doing the trick with the material that the dock came enclosed on, and the tape adhesive, got on the screen left a smudge that made the problem worse.

I decided it to leave the thing alone and just be as careful as I can be when docking and undocking.

I don't think users reporting the scratches are lying, and Nintendo should have tested the hardware better. With this and the Joycons issues, there is really no way to excuse Nintendo of doing a half ass job.

Izayoi

Banned
I have docked the Switch repeatedly over the last several days and I have no scratching. Very mild smudging where the rubber bumpers rest against the device when it is docked, but otherwise not a thing.

To think I was so worried I was goaded into buying a glass screen protector... Are people really that careless with their devices?

Amneisac

I don't understand why covering the rails with electrical tape isn't sufficient. I don't mean that to defend Nintendo against this silly problem, but why are we all doing crazy things to fix this problem with electrical tape is effectively invisible, cheap, and will keep the dock from scratching the screen?

I got my amfilm tempered glass protectors in the mail today (I ordered them on Friday with expedited shipping) putting it on was a super easy experience. no air bubbles. After doing my book bending that I've spoken about at length in this thread the protector slides in and out pretty easily. It's a tad snug with the glass screen but it's not "tight" and I don't believe that it's pushing back against it like some of the rail covering solutions talked about.

All in all I'm going to say this and have it be my final word unless people have any questions about the glass protector or the book bending (which I will gladly answer). I think anyone who owns a switch needs a screen protector. Even if your dock isn't bent the JerryRig video shows that the screen is SUPER easy to scratch. I hate having a screen protector on my devices but I also hate destroying something that I spent a weeks pay on. If you don't use a protector that is of course your prerogative but I would be stunned (and I don't say that hyperbolically) if after 6 months of actual use. That means in and out of the dock, taking it with you when you go places. That anyone without a screen protector has a scratch free screen. It's so easy to scratch. All in all I'm still very happy with my system and now I have a little piece of mind that as long as I'm careful it will actually be ok a few years from now.

milkham

I have docked the Switch repeatedly over the last several days and I have no scratching. Very mild smudging where the rubber bumpers rest against the device when it is docked, but otherwise not a thing.

To think I was so worried I was goaded into buying a glass screen protector... Are people really that careless with their devices?

back to blaming the user? do you really think gaffers are slam dunking their switches?

Tabasco

Luckily I'm in your situation, but haven't docked it on and off a whole lot.

I'm probably going to buy a screen protector anyway just to be safe.

Question though, couldn't I cover my screen with a cloth and dock it in that way while I wait for my protector? I don't see the need to tape anything to the dock if you can kind of hold the cloth as you are placing and removing your console from it.

-Opaque-

Were the console boxes sealed at all? mine just poped open.
Nah they aren't sealed, would be easy to pop one open play with it at the store and put it all back in.
The console should have been in the top compartment, I think there was some plastic over it or something, the dock was certainly wrapped in the soft white baggies. Check an unboxing video to be sure.

Edit: Jesus Christ autocorrect...

Top Bottom