• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Soph

So.. is this really inevitable as stated in the title? I don't really see how the dock is supposed to scratch my screen.

Socreges

Banned
Can I get a summary of this massive thread?

- is it true that the screen will inevitably be scratched?
- will Nintendo not do RMAs despite this issue apparently being so widespread?
- is there a consensus on what to do next?

My own experience has been:

a) have docked many times
b) no scratches that I've seen, so far

So.. is this really inevitable as stated in the title? I don't really see how the dock is supposed to scratch my screen.

As long as care is taken I can't see the dock doing any damage, plastic screens can chip and get knocks over time easier then glass so some kind of protection is nice.

Linkhero1

My screen has a tiny scratch on the bezel. It's hardly noticeable unless you're looking for it. I noticed while applying my amFilm screen protector.

Xion86

There are people that DON'T put screen protectors on their screened devices?!

Everything from my phones, to my vita, to my laptop, to my kids' tablets have tempered glass protectors.

I have an old OG iphone 4 that doesn't have a single scratch on the screen/back (due to protectors) that my 4 year old plays with.

Never used screen protectors here either (I'm 31), the Switch will be the first. My Vita has no scratches, my Galaxy S4 which I got over 4 years ago has had a few drops (not many) and in my pocket all day, no visible scratches, unless you really shine a light or something. My iPad Air I take to work everyday, no scratches and just use a cover for that.

I've still kept my Hori protector on, it's fine apart from two bits of durst trapped in the left side (yes I did the bathroom thing too). My Orzly is still in its packet. I couldn't even get the Hori protector off when I last tried, so don't want to risk anything right now.

Just applied the amfilm. Took about a week to arrive.

First time down there was a slight kinda non-bubble in the center. Lifted the glass back up gently and it went right away.

It looks 99.9% flawless. There's a very very faint hairline (not a hair or dust) that looks maybe like the plastic sheet maybe dragged across the thinnest bit of adhesive when it was pulled off ... it's only noticable when I tilt at an extreme angle with the screen off under bright light. And even then I kinda think I'm seeing things.

Could be astigmatism. I'm getting old.

In game, it looks flawless. Sitting bowling snowballs
making mad rupees
and I can't believe it looks so good.

robotrock

Banned
How do you guys initiate a return to Nintendo? I was going to do it via Amazon, but this would probably be better so I can get a Switch back ASAP.

As long as care is taken I can't see the dock doing any damage, plastic screens can chip and get knocks over time easier then glass so some kind of protection is nice.
So you can't see how a dock with rails that are hard enough to scratch the screen and are designed to contact the screen regularly on insertion/extraction could scratch the screen? Especially given the contact point in which dust (known for scratching even harder screens than the Switch) could grind against the screen during normal use of the dock?

I don't know how yall can't see it, but maybe you need to actually take a look at the design of the thing. There's a reason no other manufacturers design docks to have contact with the screens of their devices.

Jzero

Very curious if any gaffer here got their switch scratch up by docking it. To who it actually happen?

Where have you been? A fuck load of people, i'm getting even more scratches so i'm just going to put a little force of the dock so it's not as snug.

it's a real problem, like the original 3ds screen in it's time, nintendo fucked up...

but i have to say, i don't mind this one, first because i've yet to have a scratch (yeah i'm not denying it, i'm just lucky) and second, the stratch are only on the black part of the screen, where there's never gameplay on it, so i don't really care

Everything from my phones, to my vita, to my laptop, to my kids' tablets have tempered glass protectors.

I have an old OG iphone 4 that doesn't have a single scratch on the screen/back (due to protectors) that my 4 year old plays with.

I don't tend to rub my devices against sand or diamonds, so I've never needed a screen protector.

sazzy

...you put screen protectors on your laptop?

fireflame

I am baffled Nintendo has not apologized in a official announcement yet. Especially considering it is a company mad ein Japan, where honor is important.

Cepheus

My Orzly protector arrived a couple of days ago, but just as luck would have it, I've been really ill these past couple of days and I don't want to try applying it until I get better. Sneezing on the adhesive part wouldn't be the best thing in the world.

Neff

Nope, don't see the need.

I'm either lucky, careful, or naturally not clumsy, because I find it very easy to not scratch screens.

In fact, I find that giving them excessive attention, such as wiping/cleaning etc, is more likely to damage them than not.

MouldyK

I've got a tiny scratch on mine...waiting for my Screen Protectors now.

I think it'll be best to wait for the Rumored Cloud Saves before sending off for replacement, right?

Coxy100

Banned

Never used one - never will. In all the years I've had a phone / tablet never got a scratch.

sirap

The dock is perfect Nintendo are geniuses I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Stop babying your $300 device and start using it the way it's meant to be played™.

Just dust the dock (and Switch if needed) every now and then. The sand paper effect of dust is more likely to cause scratches than the dock itself.

krumble

Never used one - never will. In all the years I've had a phone / tablet never got a scratch.

Personally if I was in the lucky position you are of never getting a scratch, I wouldn't be tempting fate by bragging about it 😜

IPhone 6 was my first ever touch screen device in 10 years that has scratched and chipped.. had it happen on 2 handsets now, either I've become overly clumsy in my old age or there is a design flaw there somewhere, I hope you continue your good luck with screens 😁

Salaadin

I want a Kirby game for the Switch. Traditional Kirby, lots of abilities, local co op.
Hopefully they have something planned for him soon.

ninjical

Neo Member
Man, there's nothing more nerve-racking than the process of putting on a screen protector. I got the AMFilm glass one and it took like twenty minutes of cleaning my screen to build up the nerve to finally place the screen protector on it. It's off-center, but hey, no bubbles, so I'm cool with it. This is my first time using a glass screen protector on any device and I like it, it looks and feels really nice.

Okada

This company on Etsy is selling dock socks in various Nintendo designs. 'Active20' gets you 20% off.

I had mine delivered from a UK etsy seller today.

WKqsmih.jpg

Never have and never had to. They are largely unnecessary in my experience and really only required if you are using a portable device with a plastic screen. Even then..never had to use them for my plastic screens either. Switch may be the first device I ever use a screen protector on because of this issue.

nullpoynter

I am baffled Nintendo has not apologized in a official announcement yet. Especially considering it is a company mad ein Japan, where honor is important.
While it may seem like a wide spread problem when reading a forum, in reality it's probably only a small percentage. Like any product there will always be a small number of issues. People who have issues will air their problems on a forum, while the majority who don't have issues will be playing their consoles. I do hope those who are having issues get them resolved though.

Biske

I am happy to report that I have successfully and near perfectly applied my 3rd amFilm Tempered glass protector on my own nintendo switch. (The first time I put it on upside down, the 2nd application on my friends switch was flawless) and it couldn't have gone easier.

Really amazing product, super easy application and no bubbles.

One single fiber slipped in. Which its funny. Playing regularly the screen gets dirty and smudgy and it doesn't bother you. But some how when its a screen protector its irksome.

I don't trust myself not to fuck it up, so its there. But otherwise, I'm amazed and impressed all over again how easy these things are to put on. No bubbles or anything. Just works.

Can finally retire my weirdo Switch packaging bag from the doc. Gonna miss you you dedicated bag you.

I opened a second Switch I had on hand. The dock on both of mine is really bent. It's definitely a stupid design.

Are you sure you just don't know how to take good care of your electronics? If we are being honest, isn't the problem you?
/s

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Man, there's nothing more nerve-racking than the process of putting on a screen protector. I got the AMFilm glass one and it took like twenty minutes of cleaning my screen to build up the nerve to finally place the screen protector on it. It's off-center, but hey, no bubbles, so I'm cool with it. This is my first time using a glass screen protector on any device and I like it, it looks and feels really nice.

The nerve wracking-mess of the whole thing is why I've resisted a screen protector on my Switch. Have installing them on multiple DS and 3DS systems over the years it begins to take its toll. It's typically a 50% success rate and even when they go on "good" there's usually some sort of caveat to it it.

Forkball

Having used the Switch for over a week, I've had no scratches, but I do have smudges near the very bottom. The screen does collect dust and gunk rather easily though. Anyone have recommendations for a good screen cleaner?

Ecto311

Didn't notice any scratches but decided to do something just so I don't feel like I have to put this thing in the dock like a surgeon every time.

First I thought about straight away dremeling the rails but considering the damage needed I ended up just putting some cloth with double sided tape. Works really well.

What about that getting dust and sand particles in it? Seems like a bigger area to scratch the screen too. Same with those cozy covers people are posting. Unless you wash it weekly or just have no dust at all in your room this feels like a much worse situation than bending the dock out or removing and replacing with a 3d printed face that is shorter.

93 pages and this thread title still hasn't been changed, huh? OK.

Change to what?

Business

What about that getting dust and sand particles in it? Seems like a bigger area to scratch the screen too. Same with those cozy covers people are posting. Unless you wash it weekly or just have no dust at all in your room this feels like a much worse situation than bending the dock out or removing and replacing with a 3d printed face that is shorter.

Change to what?

I really don't think dust will be an issue but I'll make sure to post here if it becomes one.

Change to what?

"Some Switch users reporting screen scratches after undocking" or something? "Inevitable" is flatly unprovable since this isn't even close to as widespread or demonstrable as the Joy-Con issue, and no one knows what or if anything about the dock is actually causing scratches.

I've been largely playing docked but I'm sure I've taken it out and put it back a few dozen times and it's still spotless besides incidental dust and fingerprint smudges.

It's a plastic screen so some kind scratching is likely "inevitable" over the course of the life of the system without a protector, but that's the nature of the plastic, not the dock.

Biske

"Some Switch users reporting screen scratches after undocking" or something? "Inevitable" is flatly unprovable since this isn't even close to as widespread or demonstrable as the Joy-Con issue, and no one knows what or if anything about the dock is actually causing scratches.

I've been largely playing docked but I'm sure I've taken it out and put it back a few dozen times and it's still spotless besides incidental dust and fingerprint smudges.

It's a plastic screen so some kind scratching is likely "inevitable" over the course of the life of the system without a protector, but that's the nature of the plastic, not the dock.

Willing to bet one million dollars that its the plastic rails that the screen rubs against. This isn't rocket science.

I will bet an additional 10 million dollars that the people who have scratches, will have them in the exact place that the rails touch the screen.

So now that it's been two weeks, and I would venture a guess that a large majority of people are not seeing these scratches, can we call this issue more of a defective dock and user error issue, rather than an "inevitable" issue?

It's clear that not all docks will "inevitably" scratch it.

Lucifon

Taken mine in and out plenty times since launch. Got a screen protector just because I ordered one before launch to generally be safe (I have protectors on most my mobile devices). No scratches on that either since applying.

I feel like there's some serious over reaction going on.

Top Bottom