• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Yeah, virtually all these "fixes" will eventually leave scuff marks on the acrylic finish of the screen because they're guaranteed to make contact. I'm always careful not to let the screen scrape the dock going in and out.

You all just need to take care of your things.
So you take deliberate care to make sure your screen doesn't touch the huge mothering rails built into the dock because it's an obvious way to scratch the screen (contact with shit = opportunity for scratches).

And then you admonish users for not taking care of their shit.

Yeah, solid logic.

olimpia84

Had my unit since launch. Been docking/undocking the thing on a daily basis including a night of careless trying to force the unit into the dock (lights were out, turns out I was trying to insert the unit upside down lol). Two scratches appeared on the lower corners of the screen, however, when I grabbed a cloth and damped it in water, I was able to "clean" the scratches after a few minutes.

Make sure you guys try to clean the screen, my impression is that you some of you guys are overreacting a bit.

KaYotiX

Banned
Still no issues thankfully but i am getting a screen protector asap. I dont want to take any chances and i love the feel of glass over the plastic screen

Crayon

So we're two weeks in. I take it in and out every day. No scratches. How common is this problem? It doesn't seem to be inevitable.

JCH!

Been using mine every day since launch. No scratches whatsoever here. Still, ordering a tempered glass protector as soon as I find a decent one.

Any suggestions?

Been using mine every day since launch. No scratches whatsoever here. Still, ordering a tempered glass protector as soon as I find a decent one.

Any suggestions?

For applying the tempered glass protector to your switch? If so I would suggest doing the hinge method and steamy bathroom as well. I did it earlier today and I don't have any air bubbles or dust under my tempered glass protector.

If you wanted suggestions for what tempered glass protector, I would recommend the amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector. I originally order the Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protector back in February and it shipped on February 20th. I still have not gotten it. So I ordered the amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector last week and already got it yesterday.

Also in the Switch Protection thread, alot of other gaffers would recommend the amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector as well.

JCH!

For applying the tempered glass protector to your switch? If so I would suggest doing the hinge method and steamy bathroom as well. I did it earlier today and I don't have any air bubbles or dust under my tempered glass protector.

If you wanted suggestions for what tempered glass protector, I would recommend the amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector. I originally order the Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protector back in February and it shipped on February 20th. I still have not gotten it. So I ordered the amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector last week and already got it yesterday.

Also in the Switch Protection thread, alot of other gaffers would recommend the amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector as well.

Thanks a bunch. Just ordered the amFilm one.

Dremorak

Banned
I checked my dock yesterday btw, it does seem to incline inwards about 5 degrees or less. Still no scratches, still being deliberately not careful. I dont throw it in the dock, but I frequently slide it in against the sides, no scratches.

At this point I really wish the title would be amended to say: Allegedly:"blah blah" because so many people are reporting it as fact when it still seems like if those switches were actually scratched by the docks, its a small subset of people, not an "eventually this thing happens to everyone"

Pat

I was extremely cautious since launch about that, always undocked very slowly. Unfortunately, I now have 3 small hairlines scratches on the right black bezel. I have to check those right under a powerful LED light though. You can't see those with daylight.

Aiq6q3q.jpg

It's like a foot big.

ngower

Played my longest session of docked BOTW yet and was curious if heat would expand the system to the point of being more vulnerable to scratches upon sliding out. Nope. Still looks good on either side. I get smudges that I can wipe off, but nothing on the front or back of the system.The "inevitable" language in the thread title has too much force to it—these problems seem like they're well below what some early worries and hyperbole suggested they were. Not undermining the issues of people with scratched systems, but it seems like it's being blown out of proportion. Knock on wood, but so far nothing doing with my Switch.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The system comes with a one-year warranty. If the dock is going to "inevitably" scratch my Switch, it'll do so within that one-year period, at which point I'll phone up Nintendo to have it repaired or replaced.

When the repaired or replaced unit is returned to me, I'll make the decision then whether or not I want to bother with a screen protector.

As it is now the thought of going through the headache of putting on a screen protector and then the OCD it'll cause from inevitable application problems is enough to put me off of it.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
The system comes with a one-year warranty. If the dock is going to "inevitably" scratch my Switch, it'll do so within that one-year period, at which point I'll phone up Nintendo to have it repaired or replaced.

When the repaired or replaced unit is returned to me, I'll make the decision then whether or not I want to bother with a screen protector.

As it is now the thought of going through the headache of putting on a screen protector and then the OCD it'll cause from inevitable application problems is enough to put me off of it.

Scratched screens is unlikely to be covered by warranty unless it's a huge gouge. But sure good luck with that!

I have one in ATM and as a massive screen protector pessimist it's actually awesome. They've been cut to almost line up exactly and the glass ones feel super nice if not nicer than the plastic.

The sense of confidence, strength and sturdiness every time I slot it into my dock is worth it.

Of course that is if you get a perfect application

So you take deliberate care to make sure your screen doesn't touch the huge mothering rails built into the dock because it's an obvious way to scratch the screen (contact with shit = opportunity for scratches).

Yeah, solid logic.

The rails on my dock are smooth, so they won't cause any scratches. Haven't so far, and there will never be any big and deep scratches caused by them. I'm more likely to scratch my Switch screen when using the carrying case than when docking/undocking.

The_Lump

Banned

Any suggestions?

Orzly one is good. Makes mine fit a bit more snug in the dock than it did before (I've also not had any marks/scratches, same as you).

Was very easy to fit, crystal clear and pretty cheap too. Plus you get two in a pack.

Edit: And since it now seems to be a thing, I guess I am a "Screen Protector Pessimist" in that my phone, tablet have never had one. I've just been using my Switch so much and had a few spare quid on Amazon gift cards so thought I may as well be safe rather than sorry.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Scratched screens is unlikely to be covered by warranty unless it's a huge gouge. But sure good luck with that!

I have one in ATM and as a massive screen protector pessimist it's actually awesome. They've been cut to almost line up exactly and the glass ones feel super nice if not nicer than the plastic.

The sense of confidence, strength and sturdiness every time I slot it into my dock is worth it.

Of course that is if you get a perfect application

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is aware of the dock problem and is covering any damage caused by it.

The_Lump

Banned
What's the word on these? Is the inside material that touches the switch likely to collect dust and other particles that would cause a problem?

Really looks like a bad idea to me. The plastic rails int he dock are much easier to clean dust/grit from than fabric. I'd be way more paranoid sliding the screen against a cloth than smooth plastic.

Glass screen protector and dock sock and no more issues whatsoever for me. I can even take the thing off and wash/dry it whenever it eventually gets dusty. Love it!

TTl0r39.jpg

Pat

To people that have scratches, are they visible anytime? Or only when you shine a flashlight on the screen?

You gotta shine them.

I found a trick on reddit to protect mine from the dock from now on: I use the foam that the screen was wrapped in.

IlGialloMondadori

Gold Member
I put the Nintendo screen protector on my Switch, and I did an awful job. Just got my Orzly tempered glass one, and it went on perfect. Love it. Get one, if you're on the fence. So much better than the Nintendo screen protector it's not even funny.

Pat

I put the Nintendo screen protector on my Switch, and I did an awful job. Just got my Orzly tempered glass one, and it went on perfect. Love it. Get one, if you're on the fence. So much better than the Nintendo screen protector it's not even funny.

You mean the HORI one?

kvothe

Its amazing this isnt the actual design of the dock. Id buy this right now

Yeah, I wonder why they went with a dock that covers the screen like it does. Maybe people who set it under their televisions found it to be too reflective and, therefore, distracting while using the TV?

I asked this a while back but never saw a response... if I put a tempered glass protector on my Switch, is there an easy, reliable way to get it off in the future without damaging the screen?

Absolutely. I just peeled off a glass screen protector from my vita with no issues. You can just get your fingernail under the corner and it comes up pretty easily.

sirap

has anyone tried 3D printing a new dock? This one looks pretty decent...

55d0a9598215d0b61d296acb0aa32dd2_preview_featured.jpg

The only thing is when I print on my MakerBot at work, the surface usually feels a bit rough and I'm not sure it would be the best for a scratch-prone Switch.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2164088

I'm printing my own design right now, but yeah you're gonna need to do some sanding to get a smoother surface. Finish it up with 1-2 coats of spray paint and you should be golden.

You're really overthinking it. Try the hinge method.

Yeah, solid logic.

I do take special care not to scuff the display on any of my devices. If the Switch dock is bent or warped during shipment, that's one thing. But if you're just hamfisted and clumsy, I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah, I wonder why they went with a dock that covers the screen like it does. Maybe people who set it under their televisions found it to be too reflective and, therefore, distracting while using the TV?

Probably makes it easier to attach/remove Joy-Con, align the unit with the dock, not accidentally spill the unit out of the dock by bumping it, etc.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
You're really overthinking it. Try the hinge method.

Nah, I've been through my fair share of screen protector applications and its never fun. Even with Hori's improved "hinge" method putting a screen protector on my New 3DS was super unfun.

These companies need to set up professional install services. I'd pay $15 plus shipping and the cost of the protector for the company to install a screen protector if they can 100% guarantee it'll be on straight and without a single speck of dust or anything else underneath.

eXMomoj

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is aware of the dock problem and is covering any damage caused by it.

I'd almost be willing to put money down that Nintendo won't repair/replace your Switch for scratches. They'll just claim it to be normal wear & tear from use/misuse and as long as the Switch is operational then they won't do anything about it. The majority of dock scratches are off the actual visible screen and on the bezel; these do not impact usability. The rest of the scratches that will be on it from day-to-day use won't be Nintendo's responsibility to repair/replace.

You'd be better off buying an extended warranty that covers wear and tear.

Rappy

I'd almost be willing to put money down that Nintendo won't repair/replace your Switch for scratches. They'll just claim it to be normal wear & tear from use/misuse and as long as the Switch is operational then they won't do anything about it. The majority of dock scratches are off the actual visible screen and on the bezel; these do not impact usability. The rest of the scratches that will be on it from day-to-day use won't be Nintendo's responsibility to repair/replace.

You'd be better off buying an extended warranty that covers wear and tear.
I'll put money down on this. How much are you willing to bet?

Manac0r

Despite having massive OCD with things like screen protectors I decided to take the plunge. Used the steamy bathroom hinge method recommended in the thread.

First application (Orzly) Great, no dust or bubbles but the glass dropped wonky and didn't fit the bezel correctly. No biggie right?

Second application (Orzly 2): Took the plunge and did a redo, perfect bezel alignment but two specs of dust and one very fine hair under the glass. No bubbles but did keep drawing my eye. I can live with that right?

Third attempt (Subsonic): Despite thinking I could live with it, the dust was too much. Went for a gamble as the Subsonic only comes in a pack of one, only ordered it as Orzly was taking a long time. Anyway third time was a charm. Bezel was perfect fit, and not a spec of dust in sight. Very happy.

Also maybe fate, but after installing the screen protector my kitten decided to do an evening freak out and while doing ninja somersaults all over the living room knocked the switch face flat onto the wooden floor. Not a mark on it. Very happy and little lucky too.

Tempted by the fabric sleeves for the dock just for aesthetics.. any impact on over heating the switch or preventing airflow?

Ecto311

has anyone tried 3D printing a new dock? This one looks pretty decent...

55d0a9598215d0b61d296acb0aa32dd2_preview_featured.jpg

The only thing is when I print on my MakerBot at work, the surface usually feels a bit rough and I'm not sure it would be the best for a scratch-prone Switch.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2164088

The subreddit for this has a ton of 3d printer makes for the switch. The one I am working on has the entire dock board in it. I seen this one but it only houses a charge cord that I can see. I guess you could jump it to the regular dock with an extension cable but that kinda sucks.

This guy did the one that I am most interested in since it houses the board from the original dock.

http://imgur.com/a/Dbe6H
This design is supposed to be on MyMiniFactory soon. The shit thing is he offered to sell them for $20 on the switch reddit but that got him shutdown for selling things.

I posted one a few pages ago that was a front for the existing dock that made it smaller and it works ok. My maker select v2 printed it no problem. Also if the faces of your prints are shit try printing at .01 and like 40mm - I have no problems getting smooth faces on my prints like that. Some of the prints on these sites look like shit because it's a 2 micron speed jammy to show off the design not the possible best print.

Here is the one I printed a few days ago and using right now

http://imgur.com/a/zxxbD

RootCause

The subreddit for this has a ton of 3d printer makes for the switch. The one I am working on has the entire dock board in it. I seen this one but it only houses a charge cord that I can see. I guess you could jump it to the regular dock with an extension cable but that kinda sucks.

This guy did the one that I am most interested in since it houses the board from the original dock.

http://imgur.com/a/Dbe6H

This design is supposed to be on MyMiniFactory soon. The shit thing is he offered to sell them for $20 on the switch reddit but that got him shutdown for selling things.

I posted one a few pages ago that was a front for the existing dock that made it smaller and it works ok. My maker select v2 printed it no problem. Also if the faces of your prints are shit try printing at .01 and like 40mm - I have no problems getting smooth faces on my prints like that. Some of the prints on these sites look like shit because it's a 2 micron speed jammy to show off the design not the possible best print.

Here is the one I printed a few days ago and using right now

http://imgur.com/a/zxxbD
Red one looks great. Would buy it if he starts selling it on Amazon.

is there a guide to opening the og dock without damaging the chasis?

Ecto311

Red one looks great. Would buy it if he starts selling it on Amazon.

is there a guide to opening the og dock without damaging the chassis?

Amazon? I have never seen 3d printed things for sale there but you might find it for sale from shapeways or somewhere similar.

There is a guide in a few of those sub reddit posts on where the screws are and what ones to remove.

Sargon

I finally got tired of waiting for my Orzly order and placed an order for the Spigen tempered glass protectors from Amazon... which means now my Orzly order will probably show up tomorrow, but that is ok.

Weevilone

If you're Nintendo you know you screwed up when multiple 3D printed docks are hitting already. Of course knowing you have a problem and admitting you have a problem are two different things.

Top Bottom