• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Snake does return, I'd like it if they went a bit more classic with his design and reference MGS
latest

Making him look like "what if Big Boss was in MGS2" was odd, especially as someone who had never seen the character before. Later I'd learn he actually looks a bit different and the way Brawl showed him was from the random two hours in the start of the second game mixed with BB's stubble.

KingBroly

Banned
Sounds like he's describing the Inklings. Not necessarily ballot winners, but they make the most sense. Then again, that logic could apply to a number of other characters, including Wolf & Chibi-Robo. Though of the three, social media would only really go crazy for the Inklings & Wolf.

Considering they've invested in a million dollar Japanese eSports Tournament for Splatoon, it makes the most sense to pull from there. Chibi Robo isn't going anywhere and while Wolf is logical, it sounds like a newcomer.

But I'm VERY interested to see how Inkling would play if it was them.

Make Inklings a semi-clone of Snake, I just want his move set literally back, and not only be an inspiration for moves like ZSS' Final Smash or Villager's Lloyd Rocket.

Well yea, obviously, but I've wanted Paper Mario since Melee :(

Inklings would be cool. I can see them being fast and "slippery" being able to weave in and out.

Make Inklings a semi-clone of Snake, I just want his move set literally back, and not only be an inspiration for moves like ZSS' Final Smash or Villager's Lloyd Rocket.

Inklings deserve far better than being a semi-clone

Inklings as a Snake clone isn't capitalizing on their unique mechanics at all, I wouldn't expect that.

More likely we're going to see them able to use their B moves to lay down ink, which allows them to move more quickly when walking or running through it. And then their down-B being a squid form attack that can only be used on inked ground.

Sakurai wants to bring in characters who add something new and unique to the game, and loves bringing in mechanics from the source games for characters. Inklings will be totally unique because they'll be bringing their ink mechanics with them- with the caveat that the ink will probably fade away after a few seconds or something like that. I doubt they'd let it stick around permanently but you want the Inkling to be able to take advantage of laying it down.

Ink mechanics aren't going to work in Smash. They'll probably just "create" a pool of ink to move around in with their crouch.

They'll be unique in that they can turn around while crawling and their crawl is actually faster than their run.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I decided to check what's up with Roger DiLuigi Twitter to see why people are making a huge deal about it to found out that he blocked me.

I didn't even make any tweets to him (or at least, say anything to him on the forum or internet) It was weird that he decided to block me for no reason.

Ink mechanics aren't going to work in Smash. They'll probably just "create" a pool of ink to move around in with their crouch.

They'll be unique in that they can turn around while crawling and their crawl is actually faster than their run.

Why wouldn't ink mechanics work in Smash? I can't think of any reason why it would be difficult to do, the camera angle the game uses shows the ground clearly at all times and we already have some stuff like Greninja's shadow sneak that let players move in the same way the squids would through the ink.

I can see ink being splattered on characters by visual effect, but as a main mechanic for them seems really challenging to make. Nothing like the light and heavy attacks or Street Fighter inputs for Ryu.

Nintendo Character? Not necessarily high on a ballot?

SAY HELLO TO MR EAD :p

Joking aside I doubt inklings have done badly on the real ballot so I'm not really convinced it'd be them. No idea who it could be really but my gut keeps whispering it'll probably be something retro/old-skool for some reason. Completely baseless but that's where my mind is at apparently :eek:

I decided to check what's up with Roger DiLuigi Twitter to see why people are making a huge deal about it to found out that he blocked me.

I didn't even make any tweets to him (or at least, say anything to him on the forum or internet) It was weird that he decided to block me for no reason.

I've been blocked by one of these recent leak people for no reason I can figure out(the one who's got the octoling avatar on twitter, i don't remember their name offhand). I hadn't heard of any of them before and I'd definitely never talked to them or, as far as I can tell, their friend circle. I don't harass anyone and I'm not on any of the curated block lists for twitter that I can see. I basically just retweet amiibo stuff so I dunno what I could have done to warrant being blocked by anyone.

It's probably best to just not worry about it, I guess. It's certainly weird though.

Dr. Buni

Why wouldn't ink mechanics work in Smash? I can't think of any reason why it would be difficult to do, the camera angle the game uses shows the ground clearly at all times and we already have some stuff like Greninja's shadow sneak that let players move in the same way the squids would through the ink.
Maybe the 3DS can't handle the ink mechanics? There's "8 players Smash" on the Wii U version, too, which is probably very system intensive.
Inkling is a character who could potentially have Palutena level of customs and people want her to be a semi-clone.

SMH.
Right? I don't get it.

Javier

Inkling is a character who could potentially have Palutena level of customs and people want her to be a semi-clone.

SMH.

I would like them to be unique
with Snake's grenades for their Splat Bombs and his forward air leg slam for roller flicks, just those two moves at least
and while customs would be nice, it seems more than likely that customs won't return in the next Smash for many reasons.

Maybe the 3DS can't handle the ink mechanics? There's "8 players Smash" on the Wii U version, too, which is probably very system intensive.

That could be a valid concern. I don't envision the ink as having like full on fluid physics or anything though, basically just 2D decals applied to the environment representing zones where you gain speed and can do squid form stuff. It doesn't seem like it'd be any more strenuous on the system than the ground crack or explosion scorch decals we already have, especially if they fade after a short period of time so you can't really cover the entire level or anything like that.

We'll have to wait and see, but I think it's doable. And I hope they use it, because it would be a pretty unique mechanic in Smash.

Again, I don't think it's inkling but if they were going to add them in this smash I'd imagine they'd do something similar to orcane's puddle mechanics in Rivals of Aether :eek:

That'd just be banned in tournaments? :V

Yes because clearly the tournament scene banning customs is why DLC characters don't receive them, and is the sole thing influencing the decision of Sakurai to not include them.

It's also literally the only way anybody plays the game. Nobody ever uses custom moves at all.

Dr. Buni

That could be a valid concern. I don't envision the ink as having like full on fluid physics or anything though, basically just 2D decals applied to the environment representing zones where you gain speed and can do squid form stuff. It doesn't seem like it'd be any more strenuous on the system than the ground crack or explosion scorch decals we already have, especially if they fade after a short period of time so you can't really cover the entire level or anything like that.

We'll have to wait and see, but I think it's doable. And I hope they use it, because it would be a pretty unique mechanic in Smash.
Yeah. I do hope they implement some sort of ink mechanic as well.
That'd just be banned in tournaments? :V
Completely irrelevant. We didn't stop getting crazy stages just because they are banned in le tournaments.

There's still the response from fans saying that they don't like them in general besides taking pro players like M2K or ZeRo's words.

• Complicated to set up
  • The lack of having only the moves, and disabling equipment in offline matches
  • The tedious as hell grind to unlock them
  • Some moves being either being useless or making the character annoying to play against
  • Too much time to learn them

I like customs, but still, either make them easier to grind by removing duplicates, or give them all at the start. Also, make them more unique like the Miis, Palutena, and Mega Man's

There was the response from fans saying that nobody likes 75m because it's the worst stage anybody ever conceived, but look which stage came back.

Fan responses are not the reason custom moves have not been shipped with DLC characters.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the stages, welp. Sakurai, do whatever you want then.

Yes because clearly the tournament scene banning customs is why DLC characters don't receive them, and is the sole thing influencing the decision of Sakurai to not include them.

It's also literally the only way anybody plays the game. Nobody ever uses custom moves at all.

What? Technically we found out DLC characters wouldn't have customs back in April, before customs were offed in tournaments

I was saying it's just pointless to make a character's gimmick custom related now that the competitive community wants nothing to do with custom moves. Look what happened to Palutena. There's hardly any reason to play her now.

Jawmuncher

SMH.

She's still not particularly good even with all of those customs. Also DLC character's don't have customs.

Speaking of which grinding for the damn thing is what makes them terrible.
No reason for me to go through hell to get them all, when other people I play with won't even have the chance to try them since they'll be sticking to regular moves.

There's still the response from fans saying that they don't like them in general

There was the response from fans saying that nobody likes 75m because it's the worst stage anybody ever conceived, but look which stage came back.

Fan responses are not the reason custom moves have not been shipped with DLC characters.

I was saying it's just pointless to make a character's gimmick custom related now that the competitive community wants nothing to do with custom moves.

Why is the competitive community the only thing that gets to decide which characters get custom moves? Why is the competitive community the only thing that matters when it comes to character design?

yeah i always thought it was silly to say that the inklings can't get in because "the 3DS can't handle ink."

Like who gave you the future sight to know exactly how Sakurai would do ink as a move, maybe it would just be a glorified banana peel. or maybe it can work like the UFO on Fourside where you slide around alot

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I've been blocked by one of these recent leak people for no reason I can figure out(the one who's got the octoling avatar on twitter, i don't remember their name offhand). I hadn't heard of any of them before and I'd definitely never talked to them or, as far as I can tell, their friend circle. I don't harass anyone and I'm not on any of the curated block lists for twitter that I can see. I basically just retweet amiibo stuff so I dunno what I could have done to warrant being blocked by anyone.

It's probably best to just not worry about it, I guess. It's certainly weird though.

Hahaha, I don't really mind it since I rarely use my twitter and I didn't even tweet that much. I made like few tweets few times but that was like last year. I just found whole situation strange and hilarious.

She's still not particularly good even with all of those customs.

Fight Aerolink's Palutena with customs on and you'll regret those words. Superspeed and Lightweight are no joke.

Why is the competitive community the only thing that gets to decide which characters get custom moves? Why is the competitive community the only thing that matters when it comes to character design?

It's not just tourneys either, it's also For Glory that blacklists customs. Whenever I play Palutena I now have to go into Tourney Mode (which allows for customs) and wait like 10 minutes each.

Some people prefer playing one way. I'd like to use Palutena with her best moves in a serious environment.

A Splatoon level with a generous helping of music tracks is an absolute must if they're adding Inklings. Or even if they're not adding Inklings, do that anyway.

It's not just tourneys either, it's also For Glory that blacklists customs. Whenever I play Palutena I now have to go into Tourney Mode (which allows for customs) and wait like 10 minutes each.

Some people prefer playing one way. I'd like to use Palutena with her best moves in a serious environment.

You haven't answered my questions.

J@hranimo

Banned
You haven't answered my questions.

Because they are the only ones that want to play the game in a special ruleset that contributes to a certain metagame.

I'm over customs viability in the scene anyway. They are fun with friends and I guess that's what really matters.

---

Like, who else could cause a stir as DLC? The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe it's the inklings...

Because they are the only ones that want to play the game in a special ruleset that contributes to a certain metagame.

I'm over customs viability in the scene anyway. They are fun with friends and I guess that's what really matters.

I don't care about customs myself, I just am opposing the idea of "lol this is totally pointless cause the tournament scene doesn't like it". This isn't even specifically about custom moves, this is about the whole statement that nobody else matters when it comes to additional content for Smash.

Like, wtf? Since when has the tournament scene been the be all end all of Smash?

Dr. Buni

Like, who else could cause a stir as DLC? The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe it's the inklings...
If we are only counting actual Nintendo characters, only Inklings really. As much as I like Dixie and K. Rool, I am not sure if one of them would cause a stir.

Pretty sure that DIC owned Captain N at least partially, if not fully, and DHX now owns most of their IP - although I'm not sure if Captain N belongs to those, and if not, who owns the IP.

Either way, Nintendo would probably be able to acquire the rights, but I doubt they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom