• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeM86

For the record, in case people missed it, the private video is actually a Smash 3DS Modes trailer which has since been made private

Dr. Buni

Calling Shovel Knight is irrelevant is really weird. At this point he already is one of the most iconic indie characters, up there with Quote and Shantae. Sure, he isn't as popular and big as characters like Inklings, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Ridley, etc... But irrelevant? Right, whatever you say.

Personally I would rather have Inklings, Dixie or a Rhythm Heaven rep instead of Shovel Knight, but his inclusion wouldn't bother me at all.

Anyways, really hoping for a Direct soon. With or without Smash news. I miss Directs...

Golnei

Are you saying he should add more boss characters. OK, I'll put a post-it note on his desk.

As long as there are stages without bosses, he needs to add more boss characters. Given how central they are to his vision, the next game shouldn't have any stages without them - they elevate the central experience far too much to ignore.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Seriously, not even a hint about when the results will be released...
To be honest, we have no idea how many entries were submitted and whether they have even started reading them.

Also, if it is true Sakurai and his team will consider each one, each regional department will have to translate all the non Japanese votes for the development team to read.

They likely have no idea when this will be done by.

Isn't the US Smash's largest region?

Maybe that's why they may have taken the Shovel Knight suggestion more seriously, if that ends up happening.

Which, by the way, only has a few more weeks left before it starts falling apart.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
"After careful deliberation, we've decided not to use the US survey data. With the top three characters being 'Master Chief,' 'ayy lmao' and 'Battletoad,' we'd like to kindly inform our Western audiences to eat a dick."

I've heard the stereotypes that Yank don't realise there's a world outside their borders, but I had no idea it was actually true!

I've heard the stereotypes that Yank don't realise there's a world outside their borders, but I had no idea it was actually true!
Name: "Driver"
Game: "European Bus Simulator 2013"
Why: "Gutes Spiel. Ich mag Simulationsspiele"

I'm not sure Sakurai will take these votes seriously...

King K. Rool hasn't appeared in a single game for seven years, entirely left behind by his own series, all the while Smash 4 gives said series the coldest of shoulders, and he just happens to be one of the random choices they made after the ballot was running for a few months? I don't think so. And every Mii costume has their own reason for being in, so let's not conflate character Mii costumes with each other.

He has been wanted all of those years and even with a big Twitter page messaging Sakurai each day about the character and he is still important to DKC hence Kremlings in the 3DS game. The new model could of also been one that they cut from a low priority fighter of him, like the flying man one was with that scrapped model

Gaf always says K.Rool support just appeared out of no where when the ballot started and was only loud crazys before so it does not surprise me to see this on here but it is not set in stone

Also
This new video thing is stressing me :p let's get some real damn news already!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Smash is so popular in Japan it's even in anime!

M19Ph09.gif

They were playing the "3DS" version

KingBroly

Banned
So a direct soon? I'll be really surprised if NWPlayer's speculation turns out to be true. Hopefully we get to see Nintendo's new president.

lol what is this tag+avatar combo?

Well...Samus is Dead and I'm a member...I guess.

Did something change? I'm always the last to find out things.

And it sounds like some people out there know what the next character will be.

Sorry that I don't post on here as much. Source Gaming, and my responsibilities on SmashBoards is usually enough to keep me busy. If you told me on Twitter that you were discussing my opinions, I would've known directly to come here after my actual job. I didn't realize this event occurred until someone gave me the heads up.

It's just an opinion. It's not fact, and I've never once presented it as a fact. If I had insider information I would be a lot more confident about his potential chances. However, I don't so I have no idea what's going to happen. It's just as much speculation as everyone else here. I just happen to go against the majority. I can be wrong, I've been wrong in the past. It's just an opinion.

It's been about six months since the original data slots found by Shiny Quagsire were found. That means they have been working on two characters for almost the same amount of time that Mewtwo (Initially revealed on October 23rd, released April 15th...so at least 7 month development cycle), Lucas, Roy, Ryu (Were all started before April 1st, but unknown exactly when. Lucas had significant Wii U progress in the April 1st direct, so at least Lucas was probably worked on for quite some time. Released June 14th) were in development.

While we are not exactly sure how long Lucas, Roy and Ryu were worked on...either way they were working on 4 characters in the timespan of 9 months. Of course they also added stages (3 of them), mode updates (replay, tourney mode (not released until July), share functionality), Mii Fighter costumes (3ds and Wii U), balance updates, and the promotional stuff (in-game store [which wasn't in the original data. Just the menu text for it], website, movies for all the newcomers. That's a lot of stuff in 6-7 months. In addition they might have planned the two characters, and one stage that Shiny Quaqsire found.

So essentially; from the way I see it, you have a long period of development for just 2 characters (now 3) and one stage (now 3). With that much time, I wouldn't be surprised if they are all newcomers.

We had a lot of stages, and Mii Fighter costumes but the modes should be all finished unless there is a surprise. Characters, additional stages and Mii costumes are left. We've been getting the stages (3 pre-June, 5-post June [Duck Hunt 3DS, Pirate Ship, Mario Maker Hyrule and Peach Castle 64) and Mii Fighters (2 pre-June update 2 post-June update waves so far) at an semi-expected rate, so I expect that work to be going into characters. Especially when most of the stages have been remakes/ ports (Literally Duck Hunt 3DS).

It's possible that Wolf is going to come back. However, I don't consider him as a shoo-in. Like I said in my tweets, it also wouldn't be a miracle if he got in. It really could go either way, I'm 50/50.

Dates for everything

Source for working on Lucas, Roy, Ryu before ballot announcement

Breakdown of the data found by Shiny Quaqsire

I broke down the Mii Fighter costume packs here.

tl;rd Wolf's not guaranteed. It's just my opinion based on the way I view the situation. I could be wrong.

I agree with PushDustIn. I want Wolf back desperately, but I'm not gonna consider him to be in until it's officially confirmed, or work myself up over it just to get disappointed if he's gone for good.

How can Skull Kid be a playable character even though Lana already has a Skull Kid DLC costume? You know where I'm going with this.

Durr durr there goes Gonzo saying things that may maybe be good for an Ugly Rare Char ;$ better tell him off!

In seriousness this is nice to see even if it is for a different game. The shared idea may be at play for the pre ballot Smash costumes too

I do wish we had something more to go on the Shovel Knight rumor than just two guys saying he's (probably) in due to a source. What did the source say? Why are they saying this? Is there more to this than just word of mouth? Has the source actually been proven true on past Smash leaks, or is this the only thing they are saying? Have people seen screenshots and videos or something? How could they possibly know when he'd be revealed? Why does the source seem convinced that he's playable and not anything else? Why did the source come forward at the same time everyone else came forward about the Amiibo and why is this source different?

Driving me nuts.

I do wish we had something more to go on the Shovel Knight rumor than just two guys saying he's (probably) in due to a source. What did the source say? Why are they saying this? Is there more to this than just word of mouth? Has the source actually been proven true on past Smash leaks, or is this the only thing they are saying? Have people seen screenshots and videos or something? How could they possibly know when he'd be revealed? Why does the source seem convinced that he's playable and not anything else? Why did the source come forward at the same time everyone else came forward about the Amiibo and why is this source different?

Driving me nuts.

Someone should try some Brawl wizardry and make a Shovel Knight using (roughly) Link's moveset and Samus's movement stats.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah I noticed this earlier too. Broly's tag an avatar had something to do with The Pokémon Company, didn't seem like it was in good taste either to say the least lol

I dunno what to tell ya then. I'm not really a huge Pokemon guy, though I like the main games and used to be in the Top 100 in the TCG when Wizards of the Coast ran things in the US.

Well ANYWAYS...I hope this DLC character comes out soon. I know a lot of people are Direct starved, though I personally prefer the Monday Morning Surprise on a weekly basis myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom