• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

Experien

And why isn't this on the Switch eShop but Has-Been Heroes is?

Not at all. I think that's a weird interpretation, especially considering there are tons of people saying similar things.

I have access to both a better (technically) and cheaper version of the game but there's just something about getting it on the Switch that's tempting me.

PS4 version isn't cheaper unless you pre-ordered it. It is now full price so there is no discount.

I have both games and have no idea hey had HD rumble. Just felt like regular rumble to me. I guess it's just a marketing feature for the most part then, or maybe not well utilized by every game.
I don't know how much Blaster Master you've played, but you can definitely feel the HD Rumble. There are different levels of rumble for different effects. Explosions are often small, sustained rumbles marked with staccato heavy rumbles. The sonar/radar sound effect is paired with a rumble that smoothly and suddenly crescendos/decrescendos; it essentially FEELS the way a sonar ping SOUNDS. Regular rumble is sort of on or off. HD Rumble can exist on a spectrum of intensities to match the needed effect.

I was honestly very impressed with its usage in Blaster Master. There's a fidelity to that rumble that you don't get elsewhere.

Unkle

This is so good.

I have to be honest. I like the visual look of this game but I've no idea if the gameplay is fun. I'm buying this game because David Wise.

And I'm buying it on the switch of course.

Any questions, just ask! I'm nearly finished it.

Gameplay is fun, albeit a tad bit laborious at times. I mean, it can get pretty frustrating trying to 100 percent a level since the physics can of course be unforgiving. Nothing crazy, though. Easy to learn/difficult to master, etc.

I have a essay I'm supposed to write tonight in addition to other homework, but all I want to do is slither. I wish 7:00 would hurry up already.

Game is quite robust, starting at level 5 or so you can easily spend half an hour to an hour just looking for the collectibles and exploring. Level 5 is likely to take as long as 1-4 combined in my experience.

And there's reason to do it, because collectibles are placed in all kinds of hidden areas and behind fun traversal challenges -- they are not just random bits of stuff with no purpose, since getting to them is where the fun is.

This will easily be a 6 to 10 hour game to finish for me.

This is really good to hear, thank you!

Kensuke

This game is amazing, it has blown me away.

At first I actually hated it. Spent something like 30-40 minutes on the first level alone trying to get all the coins. The controls made no sense and I was constantly dying and feeling frustrated. At some point I finally understood the controls and from then on it's been a really great game. In my opinion you have to go for the collectibles to truly enjoy this one, the challenge they offer really pushes you to utilize the mechanics and it makes the game very interesting.

I've gotten all the stuff in the first 5 levels, which took me like 2.5 hours total (including learning the controls). This game is not short if you go for collectibles. Man, what a delight. Might be my surprise of the year.

wouwie

I've watched a couple of gameplay videos but i'm still not sure what the game is about and where the difficulty comes in since i watched a (i assume experienced) player navigate the environment and collect things. I'm not sure where the puzzle element comes in but i assume gameplay wise, the controls are the challenge? Having no reviews out there doesn't help either. I was excited for this game but i'll wait for more player impressions and reviews.

Any questions, just ask! I'm nearly finished it.

Gameplay is fun, albeit a tad bit laborious at times. I mean, it can get pretty frustrating trying to 100 percent a level since the physics can of course be unforgiving. Nothing crazy, though. Easy to learn/difficult to master, etc.

This may sound stupid but ...does it feel like a Rare game? It looks like a game made by Rare and the OST is made by David Wise, so...

Unkle

This may sound stupid but ...does it feel like a Rare game? It looks like a game made by Rare and the OST is made by David Wise, so...

A more hollow one, sort of -- far more focus is given to the actual moment-to-moment gameplay. Make no mistake, this really is a physics-based platformer that revolves around traversal and collection. There's no cast of zany characters and the narrative is wafer thin, but it's still a blast beyond the minor frustrations.

Kensuke

I've watched a couple of gameplay videos but i'm still not sure what the game is about and where the difficulty comes in since i watched a (i assume experienced) player navigate the environment and collect things. I'm not sure where the puzzle element comes in but i assume gameplay wise, the controls are the challenge? Having no reviews out there doesn't help either. I was excited for this game but i'll wait for more player impressions and reviews.

The challenge comes from figuring out how you have to wrinkle the snake around the, sometimes deviously placed, bamboo poles. You have to take the physics of a long snake into account, making it an interesting traversal challenge. It takes a while to learn how to do this, it's a lot more 'manual' than you expect from watching a video. There is more to it in later levels, but that's the basic challenge.

Experien

That's really stupid, Sumo won't release it in the US so they can have it come out the same time in the UK. That is rather silly.

Not really.

Well, more than anything that new Rare has made for more than a decade, but not really.

oohhh :(

A more hollow one, sort of -- far more focus is given to the actual moment-to-moment gameplay. Make no mistake, this really is a physics-based platformer that revolves around traversal and collection. There's no cast of zany characters and the narrative is wafer thin, but it's still a blast beyond the minor frustrations.

So like Banjo Kazooie? ;)
Okay, Banjo-Kazooie is not physics-based but it's about collection. And I love that.
I know there are not many crazy characters but the snake itself and it's companion remind me a lot of the old Rare games.

thats-good.gif

hawk2025

Don't get me wrong, the game is incredible and feels like its own thing.

Not feeling directly like a Rare game is not a knock against. It's fresh and unique.

I like it better than anything Rare made since Banjo Tooie.

Unkle

So I'm 3 levels in with 100% collectables but still can't grasp the concept or purpose of the gripping (L2) and lifting (triangle). Any help?

Puzzles beyond the fourth level will demand the use of the gripping, especially. Well, when you're going for the gatekeeper's gold coins anyway. Its use, for me at least, is to hold a position as you assess a tricky traversal path that could end up in death immediately. The lift is more hit-and-miss, sometimes I use it if I'm going straight across a bamboo pole or at the tail end (heh) when I make a leap to a ledge and need to balance myself out.

Kensuke

So I'm 3 levels in with 100% collectables but still can't grasp the concept or purpose of the gripping (L2) and lifting (triangle). Any help?

Gripping stiffens the body of the snake. It will help you in cases you feel like the snake is gonna slide off while you're still moving around. It's good to grip while reaching out to a collectible for example. I don't use it much though.

Lifting takes the weight off from the back/tail. It can save you in some cases if you almost completely slid off and you have mostly the head struggling to hang on. By lifting the tail you may be able to recover. I use this one all the time, bit of a panic button.

Don't get me wrong, the game is incredible and feels like its own thing.

Not feeling directly like a Rare game is not a knock against. It's fresh and unique.

I like it better than anything Rare made since Banjo Tooie.

Failure. Rare made Conker's BFD after Banjo-Tooie. Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad!

bumpkin

That's really stupid, Sumo won't release it in the US so they can have it come out the same time in the UK. That is rather silly.
This was my exact line of thinking, I just didn't want to say it.

Europe gets fucked quite a bit when it comes to game and hardware releases though, so whatever.

The way I read the tweet is that there was a delay and because it took a while to identify the cause, they've just decided to do one lot of admin at the time of the UK launch rather than two lots of admin within a short space of time.

Top Bottom