• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

Does momentum play any part in this? I can't tell why I'm terrible at it. I'm thinking I just fundamentally am getting something wrong with the controls. People are posting about how it's a slow game and I'm scrabbling from bamboo to bamboo holding on for dear life and failing half of the time.

NateDrake

Grabbed this
Switch Docked:

EoEIQlI.jpg

PS4:

RreNrji.jpg

yeah.. definitely sub native. framerate seems pretty solid so far, though. (undocked).

Rumble noise bugs me, though.. so I'll probably put it on hold until they patch that.

I can take blurry if it's at least smooth. Portability too good to pass up.
It seems very smooth for me so far in undocked, and very little battery drain too.
You guys need to specify docked/undocked
I've only played undocked so far, it is def sub-720p (I'm gunna say 540p) but the UI renders at 720p so that looks very crisp. It's also not super jaggy, it uses an aggressive AA so it just looks soft.

My best comparison would be playing 900p games on PS4 with temporal AA on a 1080p screen (so games like Battlefront) in terms of IQ.

I can take blurry if it's at least smooth. Portability too good to pass up.

Yeah, basically this. Do I wish Zelda had a higher resolution and more stable frame rate? You bet. However, I've played more Zelda in the last 3 weeks than any game
except Overwatch
in years, and this is almost solely due to handheld mode. A portable system just fits better into my life these days.

Downloading now.

Ridley327

Grabbed this

Not hard to see where the PS4 version improves upon, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see how easily comparable the Switch version is overall. Kind of shocking that this was a quickie port, but Sumo Digital has always had a strong history of pulling off feats like this.

pulsemyne

That's pretty much the difference you would see going from high settings to low on Unreal 4. Although I actually prefer the lack of DoF on the switch version.

guek

Banned
It seems very smooth for me so far in undocked, and very little battery drain too.

I've only played undocked so far, it is def sub-720p (I'm gunna say 540p) but the UI renders at 720p so that looks very crisp. It's also not super jaggy, it uses an aggressive AA so it just looks soft.

My best comparison would be playing 900p games on PS4 with temporal AA on a 1080p screen (so games like Battlefront) in terms of IQ.

Uh, I don't think it's possible to render the game and the UI at two different resolutions. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Out in EU on Switch it seems

edit 1 = Right now it's removed from Coming Soon, but not added to Recent Releases yet. If you have it in your Watch List, you can buy and download.

edit 2 - Added to Recent Releases now

thefil

Uh, I don't think it's possible to render the game and the UI at two different resolutions. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The game can render to a smaller framebuffer then scale that up to the actual output buffer. The UI is then drawn on top. This is very common.

Ridley327

The game can render to a smaller framebuffer then scale that up to the actual output buffer. The UI is then drawn on top. This is very common.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is a built-in hardware feature on the Xbox One that helps save resources. Having the UI at native resolutions on sub-native games can soften the blow.

sanstesy

Any impressions? If varied level design and enough content is there I'll definitely bite. Concept looks cool plus David Wise.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'm having a real love/hate relationship with the controls right now. At times, I feel like I have zero clue what's going on, but when it clicks and I grab an orb I feel like a fucking boss ass snake. Plus, I just got in the water for the first time and that's cool.

Seems to run fine on Switch. Picture on the tv might look a bit soft, if I'm using that word correctly. Doesn't bother me because I'm sitting quite far back and I don't have much of an eye for resolution, but I'm sure it would stand out more to some.

BuggyMike

Didn't Sumo report to Eurogamer that it was 1080p 30fps docked and 720p 30fps undocked? Wtf happened? If something happened down the line that caused for lower resolution it should have been clarified so people could know the the pros and cons of each platform before buying. I'm kinda disappointed (only because they reported higher resolutions).

nynt9

Playing handheld, the vibration noise when you pick up a bubble is a super obnoxiously loud hum. There's no option to turn it off or turn it down. w t f

Because I'm that kind of nerd, I wonder what's up with the script differences. Doodle says completely different sentences before you're given control in each version.

Other than that, the Switch version holds up really well.

I agree. I'd like a bit less blur in handheld, but given the time they took to port it, it's somewhat understandable.

Camjo-Z

My download was at 21%... then I accidentally dropped my Pro Controller and it somehow managed to move to "cancel download" and press A.

why

Vena

My download was at 21%... then I accidentally dropped my Pro Controller and it somehow managed to move to "cancel download" and press A.

why

I'd be careful round that pro guy. One night you'll wake up and he'll be standing over your bed with a joycon in his hands.

hawk2025

Damn, must be a really good game then! Heck, if I like it enough on Switch, I'll probably double-dip in reverse lol. I need more games like this.

I really love it.

The game knows exactly what it is, and doesn't try to bloat it with any extra nonsense or unecessary distractions. It's about exploring and climbing with a set of mechanics, and that's what it does masterfully.

Not for everyone, but I love it.

Finished world 2. Didn't find all the coins in either world but got a handful of them. Can already feel myself gliding through the controls a little more easily. Feels good to successfully climb high peaks! Looks fine enough on the switch for me, and the music really shines. Feeling happy about the purchase, so if you have a switch and want something outside of Zelda to play, I feel like this is worth a shot

hawk2025

Finished world 2. Didn't find all the coins in either world but got a handful of them. Can already feel myself gliding through the controls a little more easily. Feels good to successfully climb high peaks! Looks fine enough on the switch for me, and the music really shines. Feeling happy about the purchase, so if you have a switch and want something outside of Zelda to play, I feel like this is worth a shot

Did you unlock time trials?

Do you mean world 2 or level 2?

Poppyseed

Grabbed this

Very interesting. Seems like the PS4 has a much shallower depth of field effect going on (which is no doubt quite resource intensive - and pretty).

For me, I'm NEVER going to play it on my PC, PS4, XBOne etc. It's so obviously a great portable game, so I grabbed it on Switch, and I LOVE IT.

If you're not into collecting stuff using your skillz, don't bother. Because it's really about using mad skill to wrap around bamboo and grab secret coins etc.

Frame-rate is reasonably solid, though I think there's some irregular frame-pacing going on here. Either way, it runs quite well, and is very pretty, for sure.

Resolution is sub-native (only played undocked). It actually reminds me a lot of playing on the Wii U gamepad, - perhaps a tad sharper. I'm guessing somewhere around the 500-600p range. Yeah, not amazing. But honestly in this type of game it REALLY doesn't matter. I like that it's old school, too (like omg, I just got that coin, I have to head back to the save point before I fall off the world!).

Love it, and the music is already stuck in my head.

PS The sounds Noodle makes when he falls off the world are hilarious..

"NOOOOOOoooooo!!"

"Nooooo!"

lol. Cracks me up.

Surfheart

Didn't Sumo report to Eurogamer that it was 1080p 30fps docked and 720p 30fps undocked? Wtf happened? If something happened down the line that caused for lower resolution it should have been clarified so people could know the the pros and cons of each platform before buying. I'm kinda disappointed (only because they reported higher resolutions).

Eurogamer article said:

Snake Pass will support TV, tabletop and handheld modes on the Switch, running at 30FPS at 720p when undocked and 30FPS 1080p when docked.

hawk2025

Framerate and resolution in a beautiful, cartoony exploration game matters as much as it does in any other game.

I don't get why people keep insisting it doesn't in this particular one. What do you think makes it different?

Top Bottom