• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

Now that people have played it more:
Would my 4-year-old be able to have fun playing his game? She doesn't care a ton about beating levels and finding collectibles, but she does enjoy just moving characters around in 3D spaces. She HATES dying, though. Is that a thing in Snake Pass?

epmode

Would my 4-year-old be able to have fun playing his game? She doesn't care a ton about beating levels and finding collectibles, but she does enjoy just moving characters around in 3D spaces. She HATES dying, though. Is that a thing in Snake Pass?

There aren't lives but there are frequent checkpoints. Falling into a pit automatically takes you back to the last activated checkpoint. Any collectibles that weren't banked at a checkpoint are placed back into the map.

I'm not sure if anything else causes a restart besides falling into a pit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well the music made me get this game on switch.
Damn you gaf stay the f away from my wallet 😠😠

Hopefully the gfx are ok.
And the so called rumble will get fixed?

That HD rumble being HarDcore rumble

Scrawnton

That HD rumble
I love the Hd rumble. On the pro controller it sounds like the noise the bees made in DKC when you killed them. And it tingles in my hands. I love it.

ultrazilla

Bought it on Switch. Played in docked mode only on the big screen tv.

Played around with my tv's picture settings a bit, more specifically the sharpness controls.

The game just seems a bit "blurry" but once I messed around with my color settings and sharpness settings, was actually very impressed with the game.

Controls are gonna take a good while to master and I have no problem with them. I like getting everything in the collect-an-item levels and I know I missed a few in world 2.

Now the frame rate. This is *NOT* 30fps locked. I have noticed some frame rate drops and while not as bad as Zelda, they are present. At least I know I'm witnessing framerate/stutter in the game. Again, nowhere near a deal breaker and 95% of the time the game runs very smoothly, especially Noodle's slithering animation. Very nice!

It's very promising to see an Unreal Engine 4 based game on a Nintendo system finally and I would think as developers get used to the system, they will get even better performance, image quality, etc locked down. For a quick port apparently, Sumo Digital did one hell of a job and I'm a proud owner of the game!

Gonna try the un-docked, handheld mode in a bit.

ultrazilla

Controls will be super tough for her but the game is very whimsical and cute and there's really no danger to the character or death that I came across. So I say go for it and get her the game and just show her the controls. She'll have a blast!

gogojira

Bought it on Switch. Framerate and resolution absolutely matter to me, but portability matters more when I travel with my kids. My five year old is pretty damn excited to play too, so it'll be nice having it on the go.

phanphare

Banned
this game is really neat

played through 2 levels so far. still haven't gotten totally comfortable with the controls but I'll have moments where I'm just doing exactly what I want and it feels awesome. I've only gotten one coin so far. I can see a lot of them. they're just sitting there taunting me because I can't manage to get them yet.

Glad to hear the switch version mostly holds up. I can handle some softness and 30 fps in exchange for portability. Once you taste that portability it's impossible to go back unless the game is truly unplayable.

That HD rumble being HarDcore rumble

Looks great docked. A little blurry undocked. They said they're aware of the rumble issue and a fix will be out soon.

FaintDeftone

I grabbed it for the Switch as well. Very impressed with it. The frame rate dips a little at times but nothing extreme from what I noticed. The backgrounds aren't as detailed as the PS4 version and it looks a little more washed-out but everything else looks great. Very cool to see a UE4 game running this well on the Switch. I played in handheld mode btw.

Kinsei

Banned
System settings -> controllers -> vibration off

Also omg getting this collectible under he bridge in level 1 is so tough 😂

It really is. Then you eventually get a grasp on the controls and realize it was super easy and then you begin to dread what the game might throw at you later!

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Getting better at handling Noodle feels really good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Also omg getting this collectible under he bridge in level 1 is so tough ��

Haha, yeah, I earned three death-related achievements trying to snag that. Got there in the end, though, after a solid 20-odd minutes of failing miserably.

Played around with my tv's picture settings a bit, more specifically the sharpness controls.

The game just seems a bit "blurry" but once I messed around with my color settings and sharpness settings, was actually very impressed with the game.

Controls are gonna take a good while to master and I have no problem with them. I like getting everything in the collect-an-item levels and I know I missed a few in world 2.

Now the frame rate. This is *NOT* 30fps locked. I have noticed some frame rate drops and while not as bad as Zelda, they are present. At least I know I'm witnessing framerate/stutter in the game. Again, nowhere near a deal breaker and 95% of the time the game runs very smoothly, especially Noodle's slithering animation. Very nice!

It's very promising to see an Unreal Engine 4 based game on a Nintendo system finally and I would think as developers get used to the system, they will get even better performance, image quality, etc locked down. For a quick port apparently, Sumo Digital did one hell of a job and I'm a proud owner of the game!

why is your post like that

Banned
This the best subtitle of 2017 so far. Well done.

I'm really looking forward to this game for my Switch.

hydruxo

You think this dick joke was clever, don't you?

jvsIqgz.gif

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
You think this dick joke was clever, don't you?

This game is a dick joke.

In a good way though. This game is cool. I really want the 3D platforming genre to get more attention.

BiggNife

Also omg getting this collectible under he bridge in level 1 is so tough 😂
Oh, I didn't know you could do it at a system level. Thanks, that's better than nothing, though it should really be available in game like Fast RMX does.

BDGAME

Can the blurry in switch version be a problem in anti aliasing?

Is this game more blurry than Zelda or splatoon in docked mode?

I'm hoping the lack of time trials in the Switch version is simply due to Sumo Digital wanting release date parity and that it'll be patched in later.

Dremorak

Banned
I know people hate SMD (not a fan myself either) but on his video I honestly couldnt tell which version was which until a button prompt showed up. I'll be getting this on switch for sure :D

goldenpp72

What an unusual method of posting.

ngower

Damn you all and your middle-ground impressions! $20 is just enough for me to be wary of picking it up...do we have any idea when IGN, GS, EA, etc plan to post reviews? I saw Brian Altano posting in this thread before so I imagine he's reviewing it?

taoofjord

Ah, the game seems decent enough but it does look rough on the Switch. Definitely sub 720p in handheld mode. No idea what it is docked but it looks worse blown up on my TV than in handheld mode. Also, due to the game's unique control style, I'm betting it feels way better at 60fps. It feels a little sluggish.

Ridley327

Damn you all and your middle-ground impressions! $20 is just enough for me to be wary of picking it up...do we have any idea when IGN, GS, EA, etc plan to post reviews? I saw Brian Altano posting in this thread before so I imagine he's reviewing it?

Reviewers got their codes yesterday, so I imagine that more thorough reviews won't be popping up until Thursday.

Top Bottom