• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

TheMoon

Chrono Trigger is actually my first US SNES game. I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't be able to get it to run because I only have a PAL and Japanese SNES. But I can confirm that it works with adapters intended for PAL consoles. It does require another cart in the back though, so it looks a bit bulky:

could've confirmed that for you too :)

that's how I played it^^

I'm in a little bit of a pickle at the moment trying to decide what approach to take to play "retro" games. The SNES holds a special place in my heart, so I thought it would be worth it to get a system and build a small library of my all time favorite games. However, I've realized that some of the games I want are more than what I'm willing to pay for them. Especially if I want to get them all.

Right now I'm having a hard time deciding whether

A) Get a Super Everdrive or pay a little extra for a SD2SNES. This will allow me to use my original hardware and stay true to how the games look and sound with a real cartridge.

B) Build a Retropie. I would be able to connect via HDMI and have more options when it comes to how the output looks, and have more than the SNES emulator.

I'm not sure what option to chose. I'm kind of leaning towards the Retropie since it's cheaper, but I'm worried that the sound and colors will be off.

What do you guys think? For those of you that have both, which one will you recommend?

Depends on if you're collecting or playing. If you want to play the games, get The SD2NES. If you want to collect SNES get the games. And then maybe also get a flash cart for convience. Then get a retropie for more options

Peagles

Love me some Firemen. Wish I could find a CIB copy for the collection. Nabbed one once on gaf BST but they sold it to someone else who PM'd later but agreed to buy more games or something. Still searching!

that's shady af, tbh

that happens all the time for my other hobby, Macross. usually a group buy is easier to save on shipping/effort as opposed to shipping items to two different addresses.

the more common shady that happens on Macross World buy/sell/trade thread is silent bids: even though it clearly states it's prohibited, you must list a price and no ebay links to other sales.

one guys offers it at a specific price, you pm him and agree to it, he reads the pm but goes ninja saying he was away for the weekend. the another guy pm's. he responds he has an offer already fishing for a response for a higher offer. since Macross stuff is so rare impulse buyers automatically will offer more.

but the group buys seems more out of convenience but it's kinda wack if he already agreed to a sale then backed out.

i try to go by the order of PM's received but i tell them if they don't respond by x amount of time i'm going to offer it to the next pm.

i do that bc sometimes if they give you a best offer and you accept it they will take it and shop around to see if they can get even a better offer saying : this guys is willing to sell it at x price, can you go lower?

it's such nonsense but i got used to it.

I don't think that's allowed as the trade technically didn't happen. I've even had other times where I've already paid and they've cancelled on me and refunded what I paid. It's irritating but no big loss I guess.

so sad to hear =/ i hope you find a copy=)

i'm so numb to it bc it happens to me all the time that i got used to it. but yeah agree, i don't think you could put negative feedback for that. (i tried on another forum and it just got messy)

damn you flake sellers!

I don't think that's allowed as the trade technically didn't happen. I've even had other times where I've already paid and they've cancelled on me and refunded what I paid. It's irritating but no big loss I guess.

Unless they changed the rules, I'm pretty sure they allowed that a couple of years ago when feedback was still given on the same thread. Still shitty

Peagles

so sad to hear =/ i hope you find a copy=)

i'm so numb to it bc it happens to me all the time that i got used to it. but yeah agree, i don't think you could put negative feedback for that. (i tried on another forum and it just got messy)

damn you flake sellers!

Unless they changed the rules, I'm pretty sure they allowed that a couple of years ago when feedback was still given on the same thread. Still shitty

Yeh it sucks. I might go have a look now and see what I can find... I'm not sure there was a hard and fast rule, but when I used to follow the thread I saw others complaining about similar situations and they were referred to the "no need to whine" rule so I didn't bother, lol. To be honest I used to buy stuff on there all the time and keep up with the thread every day but it got a bit... I dunno... annoying? Maybe I'll check it out again.

Yeh it sucks. I might go have a look now and see what I can find... I'm not sure there was a hard and fast rule, but when I used to follow the thread I saw others complaining about similar situations and they were referred to the "no need to whine" rule so I didn't bother, lol. To be honest I used to buy stuff on there all the time and keep up with the thread every day but it got a bit... I dunno... annoying? Maybe I'll check it out again.

Yeah I was on there pretty frequent, but its definitely gone south. Sucks because there are still good people on there, but there not as active and you have to sift through the BS.

Peagles

Well I just bit on a copy on eBay, and only paid $10 USD more than what I was going to pay that gaffer in 2014. I guess that's a win? Lol.

Well I just bit on a copy on eBay, and only paid $10 USD more than what I was going to pay that gaffer in 2014. I guess that's a win? Lol.

congrats! wait where did you find it? i was looking for you yesterday but couldn't find a single CIB listing for it on ebay.

i only found a bunch of super famicom versions but no European ones.

Peagles

congrats! wait where did you find it? i was looking for you yesterday but couldn't find a single CIB listing for it on ebay.

i only found a bunch of super famicom versions but no European ones.

Aww thanks for looking! I actually wanted the SFC version so I did go with eBay.

Timu

So now that I have 1 stage left to master in Contra 3(Stage 4) I hope to be able to 1CC without using the C missiles!

Can't believe I can breeze through most stages now.

SKINNER!

Banned
60Hz mod is NOT a region change on SNES. You need the lockout chip disabled as well, and even that isn't enough for many post-92 carts. You need a more serious region mod (like super CIC) or a late edition cart converter to play NTSC games on it.

Yup. correct. 60Hz is not a region changer. I'm looking into a Super CIC mod at the moment. Cheers for the info!

Don't know if this the appropriate place to ask but this is the biggest SNES thread on GAF. I'm having an issue with my SNES on a Vizion HDTV.

Whenever I turn on the "game mode" the screen jitters quite a bit. As soon as I turn off the mode, the screen goes back to normal. It's really irritating me as I want to get the least amount of input lag. Has anyone experience this on an HDTV? I have a Vizio non 4K tv.

dubc35

Don't know if this the appropriate place to ask but this is the biggest SNES thread on GAF. I'm having an issue with my SNES on a Vizion HDTV.

Whenever I turn on the "game mode" the screen jitters quite a bit. As soon as I turn off the mode, the screen goes back to normal. It's really irritating me as I want to get the least amount of input lag. Has anyone experience this on an HDTV? I have a Vizio non 4K tv.

Sorry I can't provide input to your question, but you may want to cross post to the Retro AV Club thread. Someone in there may be able to provide some input.

edit, however beware many recommendations may be in the form of: get a CRT or Framemeister, lol

Peagles

Seems like Vizio TVs might just kind of suck for this type of thing...

Sorry I can't provide input to your question, but you may want to cross post to the Retro AV Club thread. Someone in there may be able to provide some input.

edit, however beware many recommendations may be in the form of: get a CRT or Framemeister, lol

I have a decent CRT but it's in another room in the floor. I was hoping to avoid that route, since I use that room for storage and setting it up will require me to do a massive amount of cleaning and rearranging.

Seems like Vizio TVs might just kind of suck for this type of thing...

Thanks!

This is exactly what I was looking for. My GoogleFu failed me. I suspected it was the tv not knowing what to do with the 240p signal. I played a little bit more and I kind of got used to it after a while but is definitely not ideal. Disabling game mode makes the image actually look worse. I got a Raspberry Pi coming tomorrow and I'm thinking that's what I'll use to play my SNES games.

Peltz

Guys, I just bought Super Mario RPG. I figured I should give this game a shot after really digging Paper Mario on N64 for the first time this fall.

Do you all think Super Mario RPG is as good as that game? I heard a lot of Paper Mario's gameplay was based on SMRPG.

Paper Mario was a nice jaunt with easy-breezy gameplay and a cool artstyle that I adored. It was comfort food and the gameplay wasn't the main draw there. I really just liked how innocent the adventure, characters, battle system, and settings felt. It was a good contrast to my Demon's Souls playthrough (which is also still currently ongoing).

Something about the calmness of Paper Mario really resonated with me. It was the chill videogame experience I was looking for (and I'm usually more of a high-octane action gamer). Do you think SMRPG will hold up as well? I'm primarily hoping it will be a similarly relaxing experience.

Super Mario RPG is an amazing game though and through. The music, the silliness/fun of the plot, the characters, the mini-games, battle system, are all top notch. It's widely considered one of the best rpgs on the system. I don't think you'll be disappointing, though the graphics take a bit of getting used to. More technically impressive than pretty.

That being said, I, uh haven't played Paper Mario on N64, but it has to be comparable!

Guys, I just bought Super Mario RPG. I figured I should give this game a shot after really digging Paper Mario on N64 for the first time this fall.

Do you all think Super Mario RPG is as good as that game?

Kalnos

Banned

I have seen mixed opinions here on GAF but I love it (partly because I played it when it was brand new). The game is a bit easy but if you like other Square JRPGs on the SNES then you will probably love it to be honest. Great music, unique style, good humor, lots of different mini-games and mechanics to keep things fresh.

IMO it's way better than Paper Mario. I found that game really boring, especially compared to the GCN PM.

SMRPG is a lot of fun with some really cute characters and towns. Biggest knocks against it are that the RPG mechanics are pretty simple (it's a "my first RPG" kind of game) and I think the difficulty curve is pretty inconsistent (a couple bosses always gave me a lot of problems).

SKINNER!

Banned
Do you all think Super Mario RPG is as good as that game? I heard a lot of Paper Mario's gameplay was based on SMRPG.

I think it's better too. Paper Mario didn't exactly follow the same route as SMRPG in terms of how it plays. For me, SMRPG is a one of a kind and definitely worth playing if you're a RPG, Final Fantasy and Mario fan. It's a nicely polished game.

Peltz

IMO it's way better than Paper Mario. I found that game really boring, especially compared to the GCN PM.

SMRPG is a lot of fun with some really cute characters and towns. Biggest knocks against it are that the RPG mechanics are pretty simple (it's a "my first RPG" kind of game) and I think the difficulty curve is pretty inconsistent (a couple bosses always gave me a lot of problems).

That's actually what I'm hoping for. Simplicity can have its virtues as a change-of-pace type of pallet cleanser between my current playthroughs of Demons Souls, Fire Emblem (on GB Player), Rocket League, Majora's Mask, LOZ on NES, and Mega Man 2.

Yea... I play a lot of games simultaneously. When people ask me why my Demon's Souls playthrough is taking nearly a year, this is why. But it's always been my gaming habits.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Im with Sheepyguy on this. Paper Mario never grabbed me, but I freaking loved Super Mario RPG. Demons Souls is even better though, so you are definitely going to have a good time :)

dubc35

Ha nice, I bought SMRPG yesterday! I played about 10 min of it on an emulator for the first time and decided I needed to finally play it.

Timu

Contra 3 was a bitch to get through, but I finally did it...this 1CC playthrough was over 2 years in the making. This one is way harder than the NES games(which I did pretty quickly).

-KRS-

Contra 3 was a bitch to get through, but I finally did it...this 1CC playthrough was over 2 years in the making. This one is way harder than the NES games(which I did pretty quickly).
Wow that's a great achievement. Congrats!

Nah, Krikzz just took forever to ship it out, like just before Christmas, then it's pretty slow shipping from the Ukraine.

Huh, mine shipped pretty quick! I must have been one of the first to order; I already had everything in the cart and jumped on the sale as soon as someone posted about it on GAF.

Peagles

true - my black-friday master everdrive just barely made it here right before christmas!

Huh, mine shipped pretty quick! I must have been one of the first to order; I already had everything in the cart and jumped on the sale as soon as someone posted about it on GAF.

Mine wasn't posted out til the 20th of December. I did order a Master Everdrive too though so maybe that's what held it up from being posted.

Also my SFC copy of Firemen arrived, woo hoo!

dubc35

Mine wasn't posted out til the 20th of December. I did order a Master Everdrive too though so maybe that's what held it up from being posted.

Also my SFC copy of Firemen arrived, woo hoo!

Hmm, the Master ED may have been the issue. I bought a EDN8 and SD2SNES on Black Friday and both shipped within a couple days.

McCHitman

Banned
I still haven't received my order of SD2SNES and Mega Everdrive X7. I got a shipped notification on the 30th of December and I can't even use the order number to track it because it's all letters and the format to track is all numbers.

EDIT: And the website asks for 13 digits and I only have 9 in my order reference number.

Peagles

I still haven't received my order of SD2SNES and Mega Everdrive X7. I got a shipped notification on the 30th of December and I can't even use the order number to track it because it's all letters and the format to track is all numbers.

EDIT: And the website asks for 13 digits and I only have 9 in my order reference number.

Check the order by logging into your account, the tracking number was there for me. It's not related to the order number AFAIK.

FWIW, when I ordered four Everdrives from Krikkz a while ago, it took a really long time for them to show up - but they did, in fact, show up, in great condition.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I ordered an SD2SNES on Black Friday, it shipped earlier than yours, and it still isn't here either.

These things just take time I guess....

Finally received my Black Friday SD2SNES! Worth the wait, will try get it set up today :)
Holding my breath for mine now. xD

Top Bottom