• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

NR1

I just rediscovered the SNES and is vast library of games thanks mostly for Nintendo's complete stupidity with the rollout of the NES Classic. Still can't find one, so instead, I dug out my old SNES and also bought a SupaBoy S! Only real games that Interested me on the NES Classic are the 3 Ninja Turtles games and they aren't even on the damn thing.

I already had a pretty good collection, but recently I snagged both Battletoads, Contra; The Alien Wars, Goof Troop, Mortal Kombat 3, Illusions of Gaia, Secret of Mana, and Lethal Enforcers. I have been really lucky on all the prices too!

Also, I have been discovering the appeal of reproduction titles like Star Fox 2, Magical Pop'n (English Translate of Japanese only title), and Ganpuru: Gunman's Proof (English of Japanese only title). I would love to find a repro of the 3 NES titles on a single SNES cart, perhaps even just the Turtles Arcade game on a SNES cart. It kills me that the only legit versions out there have modified music and sound effects. Any other repros that are highly recommended? I hear Super Mario World: Return to Dinosaur Land is good.

Also, I have been searching out 4/5-player titles! I totally missed out on the Super Multitap. Actually, I do recall briefly owning the Super Multitap back in the mid-1990s. This was right before the N64 was released. I remember seeing the multitap at my local Wal-Mart and buying it so that my brother and cousins could play 4-Player Turtles in Time and Mario Kart. Obviously, I didn't understand at the time that the game had to be designed with 4-Player in mind, so I returned it thinking it was broken. HAHA! I also remember being amazed at the Cruis'n USA arcade by the entry doors to that Wal-Mart too! So far I have gotten Super Bombermanm, Super Bomberman 2, Saturday Night Slam Masters, Super Tetris 3 (JP Only), and Looney Tunes B-Ball. I like to have a monthly movie night and I have a nice 144-inch projection screen that I setup in the backyard on cool nights. I think before watching the movie, it would be fun to have some multiplayer fun with SNES, N64, and GameCube!

Krelian

I didn't even see your thread, probably because it died so quickly :(
Even though I have the game I didn't even know it had a 2 player mode. I'll have to try it with a friend next time we have a retro gaming session.

Peltz

I didn't even see your thread, probably because it died so quickly :(
Even though I have the game I didn't even know it had a 2 player mode. I'll have to try it with a friend next time we have a retro gaming session.

You definitely need to check it out. The multiplayer is very well made. The rules take some time to learn, but there is so much interesting strategy involved once you wrap your head around them.

I always dominate in multiplayer sessions against my friend (he's not very good at videogames), but this was one where the playing field felt fair and even and the experience was genuinely engrossing.

Olly88

I got Kirby's Dream Course a couple of years ago after watching the Game Center CX episode on it (everyone should watch it!). I need to learn all the different moves and what everything does, as I think I'll really like it when I do.

Forgot to make a post about my latest pickups.

So I have this former co-worker to whom I mentioned I was on the hunt for SNES games and he told me he wanted his wife to "get rid of her games because she wasn't playing them, and they had been in a closet for years." He kept saying even before he showed me the games that he just wanted me to have them without giving him any money. I appreciated the gesture but that's not how I roll so I kept telling him that I would give him something.

I honestly thought that most of the games would be garbage that I would never play. So fast forward a week and we meet up for lunch, and he gives me a bag full of games. He keeps saying that he doesn't want any money. I tell him that I will inspect the games and then give him a number, to which he replies "whatever you think it's fair."

Once in my car I open the bag, and there is a whole lot of shitty sport games from the 90s, and other mini-game style games like pool, tennis, etc. But of the 13 games, I find the following:

• Kirby's Dream Land 3
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • Tecmo Super Bowl III

Now if you go to ebay, Kirby's DL3 goes for about $100 by itself. I started feeling guilty because I could easily say well here is $10 for the games. I didn't want to rip off the guy, but I also wanted to score a find. I ended up asking him if he would take $45 for those 4 games. He e-mailed me and seemed surprise that I was offering that much. In his reply he said he was going to run it by his wife to see what she thought and they both agreed.

So there you have it. I scored 4 games which in total go on ebay for $150 for $45.

P.S. - Also I told him that he should keep the other games that I didn't want.

Just curious, but what were the sports games? There's more than a few that are uncommon/rare, and some have some decent value

For instance, you may not have interest in Jimmy Houston or Kawasaki Superbike, but there are a number of full set collectors who would be

Just curious, but what were the sports games? There's more than a few that are uncommon/rare, and some have some decent value

For instance, you may not have interest in Jimmy Houston or Kawasaki Superbike, but there are a number of full set collectors who would be

I checked the values of all those games on ebay, and the majority were under $5. Mostly NBA, Football, NCAA, and Baseball games. I thought about keeping them but they would just take space and I'm not a completionist. My goal is to have the games from my childhood and the games that most people consider must haves, but only if I can find them for a decent value. I'm not going to pay $50+ for any SNES game period.

As long as you don't mind having cart only, $50 can be very doable on a lot of games. Some of the greats, mainly RPGs, will be out of reach unfortunately. I wonder if Super Metroid can go that low...

I checked the values of all those games on ebay, and the majority were under $5. Mostly NBA, Football, NCAA, and Baseball games. I thought about keeping them but they would just take space and I'm not a completionist. My goal is to have the games from my childhood and the games that most people consider must haves, but only if I can find them for a decent value. I'm not going to pay $50+ for any SNES game period.

Phil Fish

Banned
Anyone have any idea why my Soul Blazer cartridge constantly wipes out my save? I've had the battery replaced, and even a battery holder added (which I didn't ask for before but was added anyway). Is this like a damaged SRAM problem maybe?

Same thing happened with my Super Metroid and DKC2/3 but I've had their batteries replaced as well. I've created saves with those games after their replacements but never had a chance to check if they got wiped out yet (I've only seen Soul Blazer).

What I've learned at least is, as proven with Soul Blazer, I can beat it as long as I save my game, turn off the SNES but not eject the game from the SNES.

If you're gonna buy and play a lot of retro games, I'd recommend picking up a FrameMeister so you don't have to hound Craigslist, garage sales, thrift shops et al. for a CRT.

It's pretty bad for PS1 though. A shame, but I like my CRT anyway.

Battery holder might have been installed backwards. There are a handful of different SNES game PCB revisions and the +/- orientation isn't always consistent. At least I installed my batteries backwards a few times without realizing it until testing.

Peltz

Anyone have any idea why my Soul Blazer cartridge constantly wipes out my save? I've had the battery replaced, and even a battery holder added (which I didn't ask for before but was added anyway). Is this like a damaged SRAM problem maybe?

Same thing happened with my Super Metroid and DKC2/3 but I've had their batteries replaced as well. I've created saves with those games after their replacements but never had a chance to check if they got wiped out yet (I've only seen Soul Blazer).

Odd... Same thing happened with my Super Metroid as well.

Rongolian

Banned

What I've learned at least is, as proven with Soul Blazer, I can beat it as long as I save my game, turn off the SNES but not eject the game from the SNES.

I've had certain SNES consoles do this to me. I think it has something to do with a damaged cart slot, but I've definitely had a SNES console that would repeatedly delete the top save on any cart (Super Metroid, Zelda LTTP, DKC) but would leave the rest (save slots 2 and 3) alone. Swapped the console and never had that problem again!

D.Lo

Huh? Framemesiter is great for PS1. The only issue is with the couple of games that switch between 480i and 240p, most notably Silent Hill, but there are some of those on SNES too.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just played through the first four levels of Sunset Riders for the first time. Wow, this game is hard but awesome!

Morfeo

You have to play it on hard to get an ending as well, but yeah, very fun game, and funny enough the 1st game on my youtube channel.

But I need to practice on easy first!

i would play it but can't afford it =/ so jelly

I couldnt either, but it showed up in the huge haul i grabbed the other day. Just be patient, and it should eventually show up for a decent price.

But I need to practice on easy first!

I couldnt either, but it showed up in the huge haul i grabbed the other day. Just be patient, and it should eventually show up for a decent price.
oh man i wish but i never find anything decent priced for snes.

anyways tt'll be Yakuza 0 tuesday, and will get back to retro gaming after a few weeks =)

Been working on building a collection slowly. Have the universal game cases and just filling in my favorite 100 games from when I was a kid. Gonna take awhile.

Prints
IMG_1028_zpscdt59tig.jpg

All lined up, just need some shelving now.
IMG_1029_zpsocjdzx5j.jpg

And a picture of my cool little retro gaming corner.
IMG_1008_zps8yzjyxch.jpg

So I'm just starting out but most of these games have just been scores from local Goodwill's so it takes forever. Some of my favorites just cant be afforded anymore.

If you got all those from local Goodwills, you're doing really good.

Few more sources but I'm not trying to use any actual income, so its a slow progression. Yea I havent spent much on it though so I'm p happy right now with what I have. Great hobby I got so tired of new games and whats being sold right now that I'm not playing much modern stuff.

SKINNER!

Banned
Picked up a faulty SNES for £10. It powered on but can't load any carts apparently. After a 1 hour dismantle and clean job, it's now good as new :)

IrishNinja

yeah, always love seeing "dead" hardware revived! good on you man

Been working on building a collection slowly. Have the universal game cases and just filling in my favorite 100 games from when I was a kid. Gonna take awhile.

So I'm just starting out but most of these games have just been scores from local Goodwill's so it takes forever. Some of my favorites just cant be afforded anymore.

those are some clean cuts on those inserts, nice work man! i did this years ago, ended up reprinting many from fedex/kinko's for better quality but i love the way they look on my shelf.

Olly88

Looking on Amazon.com as I've got a few bucks in my account to spend and there are so many cheap, complete games available. The variety takes the piss out of what's available on Amazon UK :(

Mercutio

What the heck is up with FF3? It's the one game that has remained the same price for its whole existence. I bought a used copy in 1997 for $45-50. I bought another copy in 2014 for $50. And I just bought my third copy (I'll keep it this time I swear) and it was $50 shipped.

Can anyone think of any other game like this? It seems insane that it is also one of the premiere RPGs on a console known for its RPGs, and it has remained affordable for literally decades.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
My buddy was at a local Goodwill and posted this on his Instagram story.

VuSqpfm.jpg

They were selling them for $4 a pop. Supposedly there was more yesterday along with the system. By the time I got a hold of my friend to buy them all ASAP he told me some dude was already grabbing them and checking eBay prices.

I hate this feeling, I'm so butthurt that I didn't find out soon enough. About every goddamn RPG and Chrono Trigger with the box.

Olly88

Why does playing PAL games on my Super Famicom make the game have slowdown when there wasn't any before? I played my PAL copy of Pugsley's Scavanger Hunt on my SFC using a Datel Pro Universal adapter to see if it played any differently, and there were quite a few parts that had bad slowdown that I've never encountered when playing it on my PAL SNES.

I would have thought it'd run too fast if anything.

D.Lo

Why does playing PAL games on my Super Famicom make the game have slowdown when there wasn't any before? I played my PAL copy of Pugsley's Scavanger Hunt on my SFC using a Datel Pro Universal adapter to see if it played any differently, and there were quite a few parts that had bad slowdown that I've never encountered when playing it on my PAL SNES.

I would have thought it'd run too fast if anything.
That's one of the advantages of a PAL SNES. It has the exact same chips, running games 17% slower. As the chips are not as taxed, the games have less slowdown.

And since the SNES had a completely separate sound system, music is never slow on PAL SNES games either.

So yes, it's normal. 60Hz = much more slowdown. PAL = squashed (depending on TV) but high end games run better.

Olly88

That's one of the advantages of a PAL SNES. It has the exact same chips, running games 17% slower. As the chips are not as taxed, the games have less slowdown.

And since the SNES had a completely separate sound system, music is never slow on PAL SNES games either.

So yes, it's normal. 60Hz = much more slowdown. PAL = squashed (depending on TV) but high end games run better.

Ah right, cool! I guess that would explain why when I've heard people talking in the past talking about games with slowdown in certain areas (like Super Ghouls n Ghosts), I couldn't remember it being as bad as they were saying, if at all.

So would it work the other way round? If I was playing an NTSC game on my SFC that suffered slowdown, it'd play better if I put it on my PAL console?

D.Lo

Ah right, cool! I guess that would explain why when I've heard people talking in the past talking about games with slowdown in certain areas (like Super Ghouls n Ghosts), I couldn't remember it being as bad as they were saying, if at all.

So would it work the other way round? If I was playing an NTSC game on my SFC that suffered slowdown, it'd play better if I put it on my PAL console?
It only really applies to the SNES, because it was the most CPU starved console, and on all other consoles the soundtracks are slower so it's very annoying. But yes, games that slow down a lot are actually superior on PAL consoles in many ways. Super R-type is actually playable, also Gradius III.

Olly88

It only really applies to the SNES, because it was the most CPU starved console, and on all other consoles the soundtracks are slower so it's very annoying. But yes, games that slow down a lot are actually superior on PAL consoles in many ways. Super R-type is actually playable, also Gradius III.

That's interesting, and also handy to know, thanks! I've seen Super R-Type a few times when searching for games and considered getting it, so if I do it'll be the PAL version.

My buddy was at a local Goodwill and posted this on his Instagram story.

VuSqpfm.jpg

They were selling them for $4 a pop. Supposedly there was more yesterday along with the system. By the time I got a hold of my friend to buy them all ASAP he told me some dude was already grabbing them and checking eBay prices.

I hate this feeling, I'm so butthurt that I didn't find out soon enough. About every goddamn RPG and Chrono Trigger with the box.

Man, oh man. One day this will happen to me. You gotta believe!

Morfeo

Just completed the Capcom sequel to Mickey's Magical Quest, The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie. Pretty mediocre game all around. Looks fantastic just as the first game, and the ability to change costumes for various abilities is cool, but a bit half-assed imo. You almost never need to change, and a few of them are more annoying than anything. Still some decent level design and bosses here, and the fact that it is two player makes it a pretty worthwhile experience, especially as a girlfriend or kid-game, which i guess is what it was always intended to be:

Olly88

I want to get that some time. I've got the first and third so it seems right to get that one, too. I should probably play the others a bit more before I do, though.

Morfeo

It is very similar to the first game for sure. I remember drooling about the original game in magazines back in the day since it just looked so good. Was pretty disappointed by the almost non-existent level design when i finally got it, but when i got over my expectations, i eventually found it ok. Own the third game as well, will have to check that one out next time i need an easy plattformer to plow through.

Top Bottom