• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, my PS4 is running out of storage for the 500th time

Retsudo

Is getting a back up necessary if I don't care about wanting to save my gameplay files for Uncharted and Overwatch when I intend to buy a 2 TB Fire Cuda very soon? I just got a PS4 Slim a few days ago and only began to play those, so I wouldn't mind just starting over and reinstalling the digital versions of Overwatch and Titfall 2 that I bought off of PS+, and whatever download requirement the physical copy of Uncharted 4 requires. I haven't opened the game case for Bloodborne yet. Other than that, the only other content on the default 500GB I have installed are gameplay demos for Nier Automata and Gravity Rush 2.

Well you could just back up the save files to the ps+ cloud, and download them later without having to mess with anything else. It's up to you, and if your internet is fast enough i'd say to go that way.

Yes, go to the Settings menu -> System -> Back up and restore, and follow the instructions. It's super easy.

Link to youtube video with instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX_uAAqqVxw

Just in case my PS4 harddrive ever craps out, i uploaded my backup to my pc so if i ever need to reinstall everything from 0 i can still have it.

Thanks so much for the info.

While I have everyone, does anyone know if this will fit the PS4 when I crack it open? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZP2B23/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gamerman1

I am using the same Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm drive on my PRO that I used in OG PS4. Loads quick and has been a workhouse for 2 years. I always have like 550GB free usually as I only keep 3-5 full games on it at once. Probably about 10 Indie games or so. I am going to get a SSD for the PRO though. When 1TB drives drop 50 more dollars I will do it.

methane47

It kills me that games are so freakin huge..
Like LET IT DIE! Dude... You are a free to play game with not sooo much unique content... Why are you 50 freaking GBS!

Brofield

I have a question: What's the difference between the Seagate 2TB BarraCuda and the Seagate 2TB FireCuda?

Is there really that big a difference in download/install/loading times? Is there a comparison video from the stock 500GB harddrive and these drives here? I was under the impression the entire time that OG PS4 won't exactly be capable of realizing these gains because it doesn't have SATA III connection or something, and I mean if I could save $20 I'll definitely do it

I have the Seagate Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 2TB I got it this year its a great drive. I took it out of my PS4 to put in my PS4 PRO(I havent done it yet been kind of busy) the thing is..well I guess you can say Im not mechanically inclined when I put back in the original PS4 hard drive into the PS4 ya know those little bumpers that are in the cradle for the hard drive(the shell that holds it) one of them came out but I put it back in..so I have been kind of nervous about putting in the hard drive into the PS4 PRO..do I just have to do it extra slowly to make sure those little bumper things don't come out..I dont have anyone to do it for me was going to take it to Target this week in hopes of getting someone to do it for me but I really dont see the point of doing that when I can try doing it myself just dont want to mess it up

One piece of advice that hasn't been mentioned. When backing up saves, data and games to either a USB stick or external USB hard drive - the device you are using must be formatted to FAT32 format type or it will not be recognized by the PS4.

What's the largest possible drive to put in the PS4? I'm looking at a 5TB option, but worried if it's compatible (see above).
The largest one that works without hardware modification is 2 TB. There are 3/4/5 TB hard drives but they're thicker and require hardware modification to install them in any of the PS4 models.

a.wd

I don't run anything on the ps4 apart from whatever is the primary game, it's at my buddy's now so I cannot check. Xbox I have a 5tb external

BigEmil

Some time ago a Gaffer suggests an interesting solution for the PS4 storage problem.

If I remember correctly he modified the network settings of Ps4 in order to backup games and updates to a local server in his LAN.

So every time he needs to restore old installation files he can quickly recover them from this "nas" (at the lan network speed of course).

I don't remember the software used to manage these backups on PC (a Windows exe) nor the user nickname here.

Can someone help me to remember (or contact the user?)
Interesting

Brofield

What's the largest possible drive to put in the PS4? I'm looking at a 5TB option, but worried if it's compatible (see above).

As I recall correctly even if you can jam in a bigger harddrive (damn near impossible, I might add), anything over 2TB means you can't use rest mode on PS4; it always has to shut down. Plus, the maximum storage allowed is 4TB, so either you're paying for unused storage, or you'll just have to return it when you find it won't work/fit

mr_chun

Upgrading is so easy -- to the people scared of taking things apart, don't be! Sony designed the thing to make it so that the average consumer could easily figure it out.

The only thing I regret is only getting 1TB back at launch. Constantly reshuffling.

The largest one that works without hardware modification is 2 TB. There are 3/4/5 TB hard drives but they're thicker and require hardware modification to install them in any of the PS4 models.

Really? What do you mean by hardware modification? A few posters on the first and second pages recommended 4TB and 5TB options. Something special needed to use them?

As I recall correctly even if you can jam in a bigger harddrive (damn near impossible, I might add), anything over 2TB means you can't use rest mode on PS4; it always has to shut down. Plus, the maximum storage allowed is 4TB, so either you're paying for unused storage, or you'll just have to return it when you find it won't work/fit

Dang, interesting. I was hoping to get a big enough one to never think about space again. With how big some games are, even 2TB seems limited.

Brofield

Dang, interesting. I was hoping to get a big enough one to never think about space again. With how big some games are, even 2TB seems limited.

Oh, I agree completely. Soon as I could attach a 2TB harddrive to my Wii U I did, and keep my save files on the system and the full games on the external drive.

**Actually, I'm terribly wrong. Nyko has the data bank to allow you to use a 3.5" drive that's cheaper up to 8TB (but depending on what model PS4 you use, they recommend only up to 4TB). Of course, it adds an unsightly bulge on the upper/left half, and because I got the Darth Vader PS4 I'm highly reluctant to take away half of the helmet that makes my console look so slick.

Thanks so much for the info.

While I have everyone, does anyone know if this will fit the PS4 when I crack it open? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZP2B23/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I haven't concidered buying and opening an external hard drive but I'm about to upgrade the one on my PS4 but now I have to concider the option, was going to buy the Seagate FireCuda 2tb one. As for your question I don't know the exact anwser but the PS4 bay without alteration can only hold a Hard Drive up to 9.5mm thick and the bigger the storage space it has the thicker it is, and seeig that has 5tb I'm gonna guess no.

Oh, I agree completely. Soon as I could attach a 2TB harddrive to my Wii U I did, and keep my save files on the system and the full games on the external drive.

**Actually, I'm terribly wrong. Nyko has the data bank to allow you to use a 3.5" drive that's cheaper up to 8TB (but depending on what model PS4 you use, they recommend only up to 4TB). Of course, it adds an unsightly bulge on the upper/left half, and because I got the Darth Vader PS4 I'm highly reluctant to take away half of the helmet that makes my console look so slick.

I have a launch PS4, so I'm assuming it can only handle up to 4TB, and even with that I should only use 2TB? I definitely don't want the data bank.

I haven't concidered buying and opening an external hard drive but I'm about to upgrade the one on my PS4 but now I have to concider the option, was going to buy the Seagate FireCuda 2tb one. As for your question I don't know the exact anwser but the PS4 bay without alteration can only hold a Hard Drive up to 9.5mm thick and the bigger the storage space it has the thicker it is, and seeig that has 5tb I'm gonna guess no.

Got it, thanks. Any drives larger than 2TB that are 9.5mm?

I'm just curious, is there a specific reason that Sony has given on why the PS4 or the PS4 Pro don't support external hard drives like the Xbox One? Got a PS4 Pro for Christmas and I'm just wondering why.

kuYuri

I have a question: What's the difference between the Seagate 2TB BarraCuda and the Seagate 2TB FireCuda?

Is there really that big a difference in download/install/loading times? Is there a comparison video from the stock 500GB harddrive and these drives here? I was under the impression the entire time that OG PS4 won't exactly be capable of realizing these gains because it doesn't have SATA III connection or something, and I mean if I could save $20 I'll definitely do it

The Barracuda is a normal HDD while the Firecuda is a SSHD, which is a normal hard drive that's combined with the Nand flash memory of an SSD. I believe it has around 8-16GB of flash memory built in.

Skatewarp

Some time ago a Gaffer suggests an interesting solution for the PS4 storage problem.

If I remember correctly he modified the network settings of Ps4 in order to backup games and updates to a local server in his LAN.

So every time he needs to restore old installation files he can quickly recover them from this "nas" (at the lan network speed of course).

I don't remember the software used to manage these backups on PC (a Windows exe) nor the user nickname here.

Can someone help me to remember (or contact the user?)

I like this idea. :OOOOOO

VICI0US

just get the best 2TB 7200 RPM drive you can find a good deal on. SSD really isn't worth it as the PS4 / Pro can't take full advantage of its speed, unless you really have money to burn.

SScorpio

One piece of advice that hasn't been mentioned. When backing up saves, data and games to either a USB stick or external USB hard drive - the device you are using must be formatted to FAT32 format type or it will not be recognized by the PS4.

That's not right, exFAT also works. I had a 3TB formatted as FAT32 and the PS4 complained that drive couldn't be used. Reformatted to exFAT and the backup utility saw it just fine.

I'll accept this answer if someone explains how a poster on the first page of this thread showed a screenshot of his 5TB drive installed.
You have to leave out some parts and bend other parts to force it in:

I used the tray to guide the drive into the sata slot, but then I took it out. I had to use a long screwdriver to pry up the top part that is honey comb built, that just kinda pops up after you bend it in a few places so 15mm just slides right in, no forcing it.
(source)

But it "fits" for certain values of "fits".

renzolama

Why is Doom 70 gigs?

There are a couple reasons; I'll try to summarize them to the best of my knowledge.

(1) idtech engines v4 and up use a technology called megatextures. You can look up the pros/cons of megatextures if you're actually interested in the tech, but one of the cons is that they have very large file sizes.
(2) Doom has a DLC system where everybody in a multiplayer lobby can play DLC maps if a single person in the lobby has purchased the DLC; this requires that they force everybody to download all the DLC content regardless of whether they've purchased it or not. This is really cool for multiplayer folks because it semi-fixes the DLC map population problem, but it sucks for people who only want to play single player because there is no option to "opt out" of the multiplayer DLC and skip the downloads. So, even though you haven't purchased the DLC, all three map packs are on your machine as well as the associated textures etc.

The007JiM

Suscribed.

I need to do this when i get paid next week. The only thing i don't full understand is how to back up to usb process.

My internet is crap. Slow 2mb connection doesn't allow me to download patches or even some games without any problem. I can barely play online some of the games.

Usb backup seems the solution to me, but this would mean that i need to buy a hdd for my ps4 and another hdd just for back up?

Lucian

I'll accept this answer if someone explains how a poster on the first page of this thread showed a screenshot of his 5TB drive installed.

Simple, I had a 5TB drive installed more than a year ago (using the Nyko Databank and a desktop HDD), before Sony updated the firmware to even support it. The drive space utility displayed the full size of the drive, even back then. Problem was that it wasn't all usable. Once I exceeded 2TBs, I started getting disk read and license errors, even on digital games, randomly. Mind you, available disk space still seemed to display properly, but the OS didn't know what to do with it. I gave up and reverted to a 2TB.

I still haven't heard anyone confirm that they are successfully USING more than 2TBs. They very well may be, I just haven't seen it yet.

Suscribed.

I need to do this when i get paid next week. The only thing i don't full understand is how to back up to usb process.

My internet is crap. Slow 2mb connection doesn't allow me to download patches or even some games without any problem. I can barely play online some of the games.

Usb backup seems the solution to me, but this would mean that i need to buy a hdd for my ps4 and another hdd just for back up?

Same. I'm going to buy that Firecuda as soon as I get paid.

I've held off on Seagate for long enough and I could use this space.

Simple, I had a 5TB drive installed more than a year ago (using the Nyko Databank and a desktop HDD), before Sony updated the firmware to even support it. The drive space utility displayed the full size of the drive, even back then. Problem was that it wasn't all usable. Once I exceeded 2TBs, I started getting disk read and license errors, even on digital games, randomly. Mind you, available disk space still seemed to display properly, but the OS didn't know what to do with it. I gave up and reverted to a 2TB.

I still haven't heard anyone confirm that they are successfully USING more than 2TBs. They very well may be, I just haven't seen it yet.

Wow, this is the anecdotal stuff I need to hear. Looks like I'll just get that firecuda then. Thanks a lot, man!

I have a good hardy laugh every time I think back to people saying "500GB is MOOOORE than enough" when the PS4 and Xbone launched. Talk about clueless.

I'll offer a contrarian view to some of the advice in this thread...u should avoid Seagate drives and go with a Western Digital or HGST. It's true that all brands have occasional failures, but Seagate drives in general have higher than average failure rate. I'd never put anything "mission critical" on a Seagate drive. Console games don't necessarily qualify...but the potential annoyance of a failed drive outweighs minor cost savings in my book.

I have a good hardy laugh every time I think back to people saying "500GB is MOOOORE than enough" when the PS4 and Xbone launched. Talk about clueless.

I'll offer a contrarian view to some of the advice in this thread...u should avoid Seagate drives and go with a Western Digital or HGST. It's true that all brands have occasional failures, but Seagate drives in general have higher than average failure rate. I'd never put anything "mission critical" on a Seagate drive. Console games don't necessarily qualify...but the potential annoyance of a failed drive outweighs minor cost savings in my book.

Everyone here seems to think the Firecuda is the best bet. Is there a comparable Western Digital or HGST?

Sony really needs to fix this shit. Every other console has external storage and competent data management options. There's no excuse at this point.

cakely

Sony really needs to fix this shit. Every other console has external storage and competent data management options. There's no excuse at this point.

It's not that big of a deal for me after I upgraded the PS4 internal drive. I can backup to external USB, that's fine for me.

Honestly, I'd be happier if I could upgrade my Xbox One internal drive to a proper 2TB, but I don't see anyone telling Microsoft to fix their shit over that.

Is this the Firecuda everyone recommends? Just to be clear I have an original launch PS4.

Seagate 2TB Barracuda Sata 6GB/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 7mm Internal Bare/OEM Hard Drive (ST2000LM015) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX13P71/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jgPyyb9MN37KN

Does this Firecuda have 7500 rpm? Is that required for maximum performance? Do any 2TB drives have that?

I was reading PS4 now supports 4TB. Any 2.5" 4TB drives that don't need to be wrangled in or use the NYKO data bank thing?

To the poster above that said use something other than Seagate, is there a comparable alternative to the Firecuda?

Sorry for all the ques - I'm in Amazon checkout ready to hit purchase and am scared of having buyer's remorse!

EmiPrime

Is this the Firecuda everyone recommends? Just to be clear I have an original launch PS4.

Seagate 2TB Barracuda Sata 6GB/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 7mm Internal Bare/OEM Hard Drive (ST2000LM015) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX13P71/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jgPyyb9MN37KN

Does this Firecuda have 7500 rpm? Is that required for maximum performance? Do any 2TB drives have that?

I was reading PS4 now supports 4TB. Any 2.5" 4TB drives that don't need to be wrangled in or use the NYKO data bank thing?

To the poster above that said use something other than Seagate, is there a comparable alternative to the Firecuda?

Sorry for all the ques - I'm in Amazon checkout ready to hit purchase and am scared of having buyer's remorse!

No. That's a Barracuda not a Firecuda.

Top Bottom