• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, my PS4 is running out of storage for the 500th time

yyr

My advice: avoid Seagate. They're cheap, but reliability on them is lower than average.

I swear by Western Digital.

Reposting my questions for new page:

Is this the Firecuda everyone recommends? Just to be clear I have an original launch PS4.

Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5-Inch Notebooks / Laptops Internal Hard Drive (ST2000LX001) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1NHCZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_MEPyybBAPE58W

Does this Firecuda have 7200 rpm? Is that required for maximum performance? Do any 2TB drives have that?

I was reading PS4 now supports 4TB. Any 2.5" 4TB drives that don't need to be wrangled in or use the NYKO data bank thing?

To the poster above that said use something other than Seagate, is there a comparable alternative to the Firecuda?

Sorry for all the ques - I'm in Amazon checkout ready to hit purchase and am scared of having buyer's remorse!

--

No. That's a Barracuda not a Firecuda.

Oh, whoops! This one? What's the difference between Barracuda and Firecuda? Is this Firecuda 7500 rpm?

Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5-Inch Notebooks / Laptops Internal Hard Drive (ST2000LX001) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1NHCZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_MEPyybBAPE58W

I'm gonna jam in a 4TB in the Pro when I get it eventually.

When you say jam, do you mean you'll have to bend components to make it fit or is there a 2.5"?

kaiyo

My advice: avoid Seagate. They're cheap, but reliability on them is lower than average.

I swear by Western Digital.

Lol that's old news.Where one of there models had a high failure rate.

And western digital portable drives are Frankenstein'd, the usb connector are soldered onto the hdd without sata port. So you can't take them out of the enclosure to use as internal or try to retrieve data if it breaks.

PMS341

Citation needed.

I've had multiple Seagate drives fail on me personally over the years (lost quite a bit of important work/media), and was even sent emails to be part of a class-action lawsuit over Seagate's drives a few years back. I declined, but it wasn't unexpected.

Don't cheap out on storage. Western Digital or Samsung are generally reliable.

Just bought Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD (ST2000LX001) for my OG PS4. Works like a charm. Fully recommended. Excellent HDD, plenty of storage.

EmiPrime

Lol that's old news.Where one of there models had a high failure rate.

And western digital portable drives are Frankenstein'd, the usb connector are soldered onto the hdd without sata port. So you can't take them out of the enclosure to use as internal or try to retrieve data if it breaks.

Yep avoid Western Digital's external hard disks like the plague. They are trash. To add to the physical misery they also have their garbage bespoke firmware on the drive.

Seagate's external hard disks meanwhile are easy to crack open and have an easily removed SATA to USB connector so you can repurpose the enclosure for any HDD you might have lying around.

Yeah that's it. It has a small amount of flash storage for use as a cache. Basically it's great for reloading saves or reloading levels after deaths. If you play one game at a time it's an appreciable time saving. I have one in my Pro and I really like it.

I've had multiple Seagate drives fail on me personally over the years (lost quite a bit of important work/media), and was even sent emails to be part of a class-action lawsuit over Seagate's drives a few years back. I declined, but it wasn't unexpected.

They had one notable dud and since then they've been fine.

Western Digital externals are no bloody good for the reasons above.

kaiyo

Why are people buying slow external drives to crack open and use as internal?

A proper internal drive will perform better.

They are the same unless you are referring to 7200rpm. There's only a couple(?) that are 2tb 7200rpm and they are way more expensive. Or if you are referring to SSHD, which also cost more and doesn't give too much of a speed improvements on a PS4.

External are generally cheaper than internal for w.e reason.

shandy706

Go 2TB. I've got about 60 games and it's not full yet.

2TB still isn't enough in my opinion. This is why I'm going exclusives only on my PS4.

My gaming PC has 4TB of space (over 250 games installed). My X1 has 2.5TB (201 games installed and 87% full). For comparison.

My PS4 has a 500GB drive so I made the decision to stick to exclusives.

i am getting my 4tb this week, so we see what happens

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017KE8OG0/

Will this automatically fit or do you need to wrestle it in?

Yeah that's it. It has a small amount of flash storage for use as a cache. Basically it's great for reloading saves or reloading levels after deaths. If you play one game at a time it's an appreciable time saving. I have one in my Pro and I really like it.

Do I have to do anything special to use the flash storage or does it automatically get used where needed? Also, is it 7200 rpm? Everyone seems to say 7200 rpm is best.

They are the same unless you are referring to 7200rpm. There's only a couple(?) that are 2tb 7200rpm and they are way more expensive. Or if you are referring to SSHD, which also cost more and doesn't give too much of a speed improvements on a PS4.

External are generally cheaper than internal for w.e reason.

Do you have any recommendations on externals to crack open that are 7200 rpm?

That Gaming Firecuda thing is looking like the way to go...I think I might get that next paycheck. 2tb is so tempting.

Can I buy this, backup my PS4 HDD to my external 2tb, insert the firecuda into the ps4, then transfer from the external onto the PS4?

yyr

Citation needed.

Mostly personal experience and that of my co-workers. Though from time to time they seem to release a bad model and it makes the news.

I've been working in IT at a nonprofit for around 15 years now. We've had many drives fail over time because we work with a lot of donated equipment, but in terms of both newer and older drives, Seagate has been less reliable than other brands in our experience.

Of course, as with all things, YMMV. Some percentage of all electronics will be defective, more so when moving parts are involved. You can always combat this by making sure you back up your saves. On XB1 this is automatic. On PS4, if you have PS+, take advantage of the cloud save feature. If you don't, use the backup feature every so often.

My gaming PC has 4TB of space (over 250 games installed). My X1 has 2.5TB (201 games installed and 87% full). For comparison.

My PS4 has a 500GB drive so I made the decision to stick to exclusives.

Maybe play some of those games and then uninstall them? XB1's "Ready to Install" list is super convenient and your saves live in the cloud. Why do you need everything at the ready all the time?

That being said...I use my PS4 just for exclusives, and yet I'm considering upgrading the drive at some point anyway...

EmiPrime

Do I have to do anything special to use the flash storage or does it automatically get used where needed? Also, is it 7200 rpm? Everyone seems to say 7200 rpm is best.

No need to do anything, the hard drive automatically uses the flash storage. No idea what the rotational speed is but I wouldn't get hung up on it. If you don't mind spending a little more than a standard drive but can't afford a large SSD the Firecuda is the drive to get for your Pro.

Mostly personal experience and that of my co-workers. Though from time to time they seem to release a bad model and it makes the news.

I've been working in IT at a nonprofit for around 15 years now. We've had many drives fail over time because we work with a lot of donated equipment, but in terms of both newer and older drives, Seagate has been less reliable than other brands in our experience.

Of course, as with all things, YMMV. Some percentage of all electronics will be defective, more so when moving parts are involved. You can always combat this by making sure you back up your saves. On XB1 this is automatic. On PS4, if you have PS+, take advantage of the cloud save feature. If you don't, use the backup feature every so often.

That's fair enough. Generally speaking however console hard drives aren't going to get worked very hard and aren't going to fail unless the console gets dropped or other such abuse (think there was someone on here who was yanking out power chords from consoles that were in standby and wondering why they kept breaking!) or the drive is DOA or a lemon which should be immediately obvious.

Kysen

Sucks we cant use external drives on PS4. The least they could have done was allow 3.5inch drives. 2.5 is too limiting. I had to delete a bunch of games because 1TB was just not enough.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
why do people feel the need to have every game installed? i only install the games i'm actually playing. 500GB is more than enough for me. as long as it's a 2.5" drive it should fit in the ps4 and it's easy to do.

EmiPrime

why do people feel the need to have every game installed? i only install the games i'm actually playing. 500GB is more than enough for me. as long as it's a 2.5" drive it should fit in the ps4 and it's easy to do.

Because I want to. I like having a game library at my fingertips.

No need to do anything, the hard drive automatically uses the flash storage. No idea what the rotational speed is but I wouldn't get hung up on it. If you don't mind spending a little more than a standard drive but can't afford a large SSD the Firecuda is the drive to get for your Pro.

I don't have a Pro. I have a launch base PS4. Is that still ok? When you say can't afford a large SSD, which do you mean? I don't think money is an object right now so I'm looking into the best possible option.

EmiPrime

I don't have a Pro. I have a launch base PS4. Is that still ok? When you say can't afford a large SSD, which do you mean? I don't think money is an object right now so I'm looking into the best possible option.

If money is no object then buy a SSD. That goes without saying!

yyr

The least they could have done was allow 3.5inch drives.

You do realize how large 3.5 inch drives are compared to 2.5, yes? The differences in size, weight and required power are enormous.

Think of how huge and heavy the OG Xbox was, or how heavy the PS2 got if you put a HDD in it. This is why 2.5 inch drives have been the standard in laptops and game consoles for years now.

fireflame

The real issue I have is: why should people have to worry about storage on a console? Where is the time where you would just insert a disc and run the game... If consoles drop the ease of use advantage, they are losing a part of their appeal.

EmiPrime

The real issue I have is: why should people have to worry about storage on a console? Where is the time where you would just insert a disc and run the game... If consoles drop the ease of use advantage, they are losing a part of their appeal.

Bluray drives aren't fast enough to stream all the data needed for any vaguely demanding game to be playable. DVD drives struggled too, see mandatory installs on a few 360 games including most notably GTAV.

It's an inconvenience but the ease of use advantage is still there.

Which!? I'm an ignorant SSD dummy.

Samsung EVO or PRO 850 if you've got the cash to flash.

Petrae

...and that's pretty much why I'm 90% retro now. I never really had to weigh whether I should buy a game based on the amount of available system/HDD storage before, but now I don't buy many modern games because my HDD is full and I have to decide what game to get rid of before I make a purchase. With glacially slow PSN download speeds, waiting to re-download 8+ GB patches to replay a game that I deleted just takes too much time.

I am not good at all with taking stuff apart to replace a hard drive and am not comfortable with downloading operating systems onto other storage to make the new hard drive work. After paying $400 for my PS4, I don't wish to strip a screw or make some other mistake that will screw the thing up I just want my console to work, like previous generations did. Otherwise, I'm better off just buying a PC. As such, based on the storage limitations, download speed limitations of PSN, and ISP data cap... once my HDD is full and I don't feel as though I can delete a game to make room, I'm done buying PS4 stuff unless an external HDD option is enabled.

Meanwhile, I can continue to buy games for non-HDD consoles, with no limitations. Sure, maybe the graphics aren't as impressive as they were when new, but I can play what I want to at will.

Rellik

This never works. Your personal experience may not be the same as the average user. I've had multiple Samsung drives die quickly. My Samsung Pro Evo SSD died in a few months and I'll never buy Samsung again, but doesn't mean that's normal.

Now if there's actual hard numbers proving a company is trash then lets see it and then we move on to better recommendations.

EmiPrime

...and that's pretty much why I'm 90% retro now. I never really had to weigh whether I should buy a game based on the amount of available system/HDD storage before, but now I don't buy many modern games because my HDD is full and I have to decide what game to get rid of before I make a purchase. With glacially slow PSN download speeds, waiting to re-download 8+ GB patches to replay a game that I deleted just takes too much time.

I am not good at all with taking stuff apart to replace a hard drive and am not comfortable with downloading operating systems onto other storage to make the new hard drive work. After paying $400 for my PS4, I don't wish to strip a screw or make some other mistake that will screw the thing up I just want my console to work, like previous generations did. Otherwise, I'm better off just buying a PC. As such, based on the storage limitations, download speed limitations of PSN, and ISP data cap... once my HDD is full and I don't feel as though I can delete a game to make room, I'm done buying PS4 stuff unless an external HDD option is enabled.

Meanwhile, I can continue to buy games for non-HDD consoles, with no limitations. Sure, maybe the graphics aren't as impressive as they were when new, but I can play what I want to at will.

If a single screw is too intimidating for you I am not sure how you can cope with retro consoles!

yyr

I am not good at all with taking stuff apart to replace a hard drive and am not comfortable with downloading operating systems onto other storage to make the new hard drive work.

I agree that it sucks Sony won't enable external storage on PS4. On XB1 it is effortless and seamless.

That being said, though: my father describes me as "mechanically inept" and he is correct. But seriously, replacing the hard drive in a PS3 or PS4 is the easiest hardware upgrade ever. Anyone can do it. You just need a screwdriver of the correct size, a replacement hard drive, and 5-10 minutes. If you've got your console in a place where you have to disconnect it first, and reconnect it afterwards, maybe add a few minutes to that.

This article shows you everything: https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD/

It is really just a few screws. Your confidence level will go up when you successfully do it. The replacement hard drive will not be very expensive and the amount of time you waste managing data will drop, which will justify the purchase.

Any OS required will be downloaded automatically by the console. It will see that you replaced the hard drive and take you through the necessary steps (generally, clicking Next until it's done). Just make sure your Internet connection is set up and working. From your computer, download the firmware update to USB as instructed in the article.

The hardest part is backing up your saved data. That is also covered by the above article. If you use PS+ cloud saves already, you don't need to do anything. If not, it may take a bit of time, but not having to juggle your games later will more than make up for it. Just follow the steps carefully. You only need to do it once.

If you are constantly hitting the storage wall, there is no good reason not to upgrade.

I find it to be a barrier to jump in. Downloading patches and reinstalling is not instantaneous and if I have to wait a while before playing then it is quite often enough to deter me from playing at all.

I live in an area with max data caps of 300 gb/month and $2.50/gb used over the limit so that can be a problem when re-downloading digital games or even just the patches.

1-2 TB is manageable but I think 500gb is just too small and a pita to deal with.

What's frustrating is that limited space kills your ability to be spontaneous. I hate wanting to play a certain game on a whim, but then needing to wait an hour for it to download and install again.

Can someone point me in the direction of the easiest/most popular replacement HD to get for PS4? I don't need an SSD, but I want something fast-ish, and at least 2TB.

If a single screw is too intimidating for you I am not sure how you can cope with retro consoles!

I'm going to get the Firecuda 2TB. For the harddrive that needs to be used in between, how big does it need to be? If I understand correctly, the process is:

Stock HDD -> Temporary HDD -> New HDD

Correct? Also I have PT to save, so after everything is on the temporary HDD, PT goes on a thumbdrive and then I stick into my new Firecuda as the last step?

EmiPrime

Correct? Also I have PT to save, so after everything is on the temporary HDD, PT goes on a thumbdrive and then I stick into my new Firecuda as the last step?

Backup everything to an external HDD. I recommend pruning a lot of what you don't mind reinstalling or redownloading just to make the process quicker. 250GB = about an hour each way for reference.

Put the new drive into the PS4.

Install the PS4 firmware using a USB stick.

Restore the backup from your external HDD.

Backup everything to an external HDD. I recommend pruning a lot of what you don't mind reinstalling or redownloading just to make the process quicker. 250GB = about an hour each way for reference.

Put the new drive into the PS4.

Restore the backup from your external HDD.

How big does that initial external HDD need to be in the beginning? I don't have one lying around so whenI order the Firecuda I need to get that, too!

yyr

I actually haven't upgraded the drive on my PS4 yet because I haven't yet hit that wall. Is it actually necessary to do this? Or is it like the PS3, where as long as you're connected to the Internet, it'll just download the latest OS automatically?

How big does that initial external HDD need to be in the beginning? I don't have one lying around so whenI order the Firecuda I need to get that, too!

The backups are compressed so they're generally smaller than what you're backing up. But at most, it's the size of the data you're backing up.

If you have, say, 400GB of data on the drive right now, it will be something between 200 and 400 GB.

Another option is to delete some of the games you've installed/downloaded...the games can be re-downloaded later. Unfortunately, I believe the save data might be deleted along with the games, unless you've used the PS+ cloud backup, so this may not be a viable option for some. (I'm sure that this is how it works on Vita, not sure about PS4).

EmiPrime

If you just want to backup your saves, PT and game captures you won't need a very big drive.

I actually haven't upgraded the drive on my PS4 yet because I haven't yet hit that wall. Is it actually necessary to do this? Or is it like the PS3, where as long as you're connected to the Internet, it'll just download the latest OS automatically?

Yeah you need the firmware on a USB stick or it gets stuck in a boot loop otherwise. There's a specific firmware especially for new hard drive installs that Sony provides that is 3x the size of the normal firmware updates they upload.

Another option is to delete some of the games you've installed/downloaded...the games can be re-downloaded later. Unfortunately, I believe the save data might be deleted along with the games, unless you've used the PS+ cloud backup, so this may not be a viable option for some. (I'm sure that this is how it works on Vita, not sure about PS4).

It's different on PS4. The saves are separate.

yyr

Yeah you need the firmware on a USB stick or it gets stuck in a boot loop otherwise. There's a specific firmware especially for new hard drive installs that Sony provides that is 3x the size of the normal firmware updates they upload.

Well, that's not very user-friendly. Oh, well.

It's different on PS4. The saves are separate.

That, on the other hand, is.

Thanks for the info.

Will this automatically fit or do you need to wrestle it in?

Do you have any recommendations on externals to crack open that are 7200 rpm?

well the 2tb of that version fits perfectly, i do not know about the 4, when i get it, i will let you know

Koppai

Guys I have an original launch ps4, what hard drive do I buy to put internal. I work at a famous retailer of electronics so I get a discount. Should I get a 2tb or 3tb, I have like 40 PS4 games

OK just bought the 2.5" 2TB Firecuda from Amazon for my Pro. Isn't in stock but will be here next week hopefully. These things are a hot item apparently!

I was fine with the 1TB in my Pro for a while, but with all my PSVR games and other games I'm popping back and forth playing, the damn thing is almost full already haha.

Caayn

Guys I have an original launch ps4, what hard drive do I buy to put internal. I work at a famous retailer of electronics so I get a discount. Should I get a 2tb or 3tb, I have like 40 PS4 games
All PS4 models have the same limitations in terms of physical and data size. My advice is to get the largest drive that you're willing to buy. Needing to replace the storage at a later date is a bother.

Top Bottom