• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Polygon 'playing' Doom...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

So I'm playing this game on PC but I also play games on consoles and am pretty good with a controller.

I decided to plug in my Xbox controller and make a video of me playing the game with no aim assist to show how people play when they are good with a controller and when the game has atleast half decent controller support. I most likely would have been a lot better and faster at everything had I played with a controller from the start instead of just plugging it in for a few fights randomly.

Also the game would probably "appear" faster if I had FoV turned up to the max and was playing in an area with jump platforms. If anyone wants I can make a video of me playing a vertical level with jump platforms too. So here it is, and keep in mind this is with no aim assist, I doubt I'd ever have missed if I had aim assist on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HshWGSW9vSM&feature=youtu.be

nib95

Banned
So I'm playing this game on PC but I also play games on consoles and am pretty good with a controller.

I decided to plug in my Xbox controller and make a video of me playing the game with no aim assist to show how people play when they are good with a controller and when the game has atleast half decent controller support. I most likely would have been a lot better and faster at everything had I played with a controller from the start instead of just plugging it in for a few fights randomly.

Also the game would probably "appear" faster if I had FoV turned up to the max and was playing in an area with jump platforms. If anyone wants I can make a video of me playing a vertical level with jump platforms too. So here it is, and keep in mind this is with no aim assist, I doubt I'd ever have missed if I had aim assist on.

Nice vid. That's what I expect to see when watching someone (noteably a gaming journalist) play this with a pad. Not the ridiculousness of the Polygon video.

akira28

looks like someone playing with both hands. note the backpedal bumperjumper type bunny hop circle strafing. You can't do that with one hand.

That is my new theory. Polyplayer was either playing one handed on a wired xbox 350 controller. while reading neogaf. Or he was playing on an ASUS tablet, streaming over Moonlight using finger gesture controls.

nOoblet16

The difference in speed between low and high sensitivity is negligible with how mouse aim is 1:1.
This is wrong, the difference is not negligible and extremely noticeable.
Even if we are talking about differences between low and high sensitivity at a constant DPI.

Moving a mouse 2 inches for a 360 degree turn is definitely faster than moving it 4 inches, especially considering you'll need to reposition your palm in the latter case and have to do it over and over again while playing.

BUT, there's two side to the argument. Being able to move a mouse fast also means you end up losing accuracy for weapons that require fine aim. This is the entire reason why a lot of snipers will prefer lower sensitivity over high sensitivity.

Again, the reviewer didn't record this video. It was likely some temp playing through and doing recordings at the same time. This thread is such a waste of time.

This is wrong, the difference is not negligible and extremely noticeable.
Even if we are talking about differences between low and high sensitivity at a constant DPI.

Moving a mouse 2 inches for a 360 degree turn is definitely faster than moving it 4 inches, especially considering you'll need to reposition your palm in the latter case and have to do it over and over again while playing.

BUT, there's two side to the argument. Being able to move a mouse fast also means you end up losing accuracy for weapons that require fine aim. This is the entire reason why a lot of snipers will prefer lower sensitivity over high sensitivity.

At least until they get acclimated to it, yeah. The problem is that there's not always a LOT of space to move your mouse, and having to lift it up is split seconds where you will die compared to someone who didn't have to.

WTF is going on in this thread about Controllers vs KB+m XD XD XD

like, this can't be real life, right?

People who spend $150 on a controller really feel a need to justify it, even if it means hamfisting the justification into random topics where it doesn't belong.

nOoblet16

At least until they get acclimated to it, yeah. The problem is that there's not always a LOT of space to move your mouse, and having to lift it up is split seconds where you will die compared to someone who didn't have to.

Ofcourse, as I understand you are referring to the part where I mention fine aim.
I believe no matter how good you get, you'll have to come to some sort of compromise between DPI and sensitivity if you want to be good at both fast turning and fine aiming.

It's just practically impossible to fine aim at max DPI and sensitivity, you CAN still play by taking shots based on intuition and reflexes (which is what it comes down to most of the time tbh) but if we are simply talking fine like sniping in CS then lower (or relatively lower) sensitivity is undeniably better than max. I personally like to keep high DPI with low to medium ingame sensitivity depending on game gives me the broadest range.

People are really grasping at straws to defend polygon here lol. You are right that someone previewing games should have a basic level of competency. Movies are not an interactive art form so that comparison is really stupid. Any interactive activity inherently implies a basic barrier of entry. If you can not do basic tasks that 90% of videogames require from you (move and aim at the same time) then you are probably in the wrong field, and should ask for someone else to preview the game.
The thing is, even a movie reviewer has to have some kind of "film literacy" to be a worthwhile critic. With a film critic that's probably include a good attention span, solid writing skills and a good knowledge of the medium.

The same thing goes for gaming. And in gaming, "gaming literacy" would, as you said, correspond to the interactivity of the medium.
Again, the reviewer didn't record this video. It was likely some temp playing through and doing recordings at the same time. This thread is such a waste of time.
They should be getting more qualified temps then. You don't bring on temps who make your work quality look like a punchline to some kind of joke.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HshW...ature=youtu.be
Cool, looks pretty much like how I'd play (but probably a bit better than me xD I can get sloppy with aiming sometimes, and other times I'll rack up some headshots or perfect shots, go figure).

Again, that doesn't matter. They still uploaded it on their public channel to present the gameplay.

Broadly speaking, I think there should be a skill threshold for reviews, but that threshold needn't be particularly high. All the reviewer should have to do is aspire to basic competency; character goes where they want, does what they want. They shouldn't have to be elite or even good.

It's just practically impossible to fine aim at max DPI and sensitivity, you CAN still play by taking shots based on intuition and reflexes (which is what it comes down to most of the time tbh) but if we are simply talking fine like sniping in CS then lower (or relatively lower) sensitivity is undeniably better than max. I personally like to keep high DPI with low to medium ingame sensitivity depending on game gives me the broadest range.

Pretty much. High DPI and medium in game sensitivity is perfect for close range and long range. It's why nobody wants to play UT99 with me anymore, because every map with a flak cannon puts me at the top of the chart.

BTW, how did you edit your 60fps gameplay and export it 60 fps after editing it (which program)?

Also, are you capping FPS with RTSS? I saw a couple grames go above 60 fps at one point.

nOoblet16

BTW, how did you edit your 60fps gameplay and export it 60 fps after editing it (which program)?

Also, are you capping FPS with RTSS? I saw a couple grames go above 60 fps at one point.

Windows movie maker.
I'm just running borderless window mode with adaptive V sync on a 60hz monitor (can't afford a new monitor or GPU for now hah).

Vire

Looks fun. :)

Actually gives you an idea of how the game plays and what you can do in it, unlike the video put out by the professional video game media outlet.

this looks fun! varied, elaborate, and gives a glimpse of what you can do! and all it took was only 5 minutes!

i noticed you would aim and not spam the shots. is it the fire rate of that weapon or were you just being conservative with your shooting for better accuracy?

nOoblet16

this looks fun! varied, elaborate, and gives a glimpse of what you can do! and all it took was only 5 minutes!

i noticed you would aim and not spam the shots. is it the fire rate of that weapon or were you just being conservative with your shooting for better accuracy?

Both actually...weapons like gauss cannon (that I use the most in the video) fire slow...in most cases I fired them as soon as possible so the delay you see there is because of the weapon cooldown.
But with weapons like Heavy Rifle and Plasma Rifle you can end up running out of bullets quickly if you are not being conservative and don't have fuel for chainsaw.

Speaking of chainsaw you can use chainsaw kills to get lots of ammo but you can only do so many of them before you run out of fuel and have to find some (so far the limit is 4 for me), and if you use it on a big enemy then you use as much fuel as it requires to kill 3 imps...and you can only use it on big enemies when they are weak.

I still don't understand why so many people feel it's the job of a gaming news publication to "showcase" a game as if they were a paid marketing arm of Bethesda.

Shifty

I still don't understand why so many people feel it's the job of a gaming news publication to "showcase" a game as if they were a paid marketing arm of Bethesda.

Game coverage is supposed to educate the consumer and help them make an informed purchase.

The gameplay in the video is a very poor representation of how Doom plays, making it inherently less useful in that context when compared to something more competent.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

nobody is asking them to market the game but if you're going to show it at least do it properly.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Game coverage is supposed to educate the consumer and help them make an informed purchase.

The gameplay in the video is a very poor representation of how Doom plays, making it inherently less useful in that context when compared to something more competent.

I'm bad at racing games, so I'm gonna pick up the new Need for Speed and just repeatedly ram my car in the side walls for 30 min and then upload it on <insert professional gaming magazine here>.

What? It's not my responsibility to market the game for you sheeples!

pa22word

Pretty much. High DPI and medium in game sensitivity is perfect for close range and long range. It's why nobody wants to play UT99 with me anymore, because every map with a flak cannon puts me at the top of the chart.

Yeah, I'm another guy that runs high DPI low sens. I've always heard pro gamers swear by high sens 400 dpi, but it just feels so much clunkier. 1600+ dpi mouse feels silky smooth in my hands in comparison. Give me that and a dot crosshair and I'll be fine in any shooter.

What is this shit of, "you dont need to like the genre or be good at it to review it!". I know, you don't, that is what user reviews are for, why make these official?

It's like, "damn I am really wanting a new drill, lets check out the review for the drill z44" "i used it and it was kinda bad, the nails werent going into the wall, and it doesnt blend onions well 4/10". But hey! He is trying! He doesnt need to be good with tools or particularly like them!

It's like me reviewing madden games every year, what is the point? 3/10 it's still football and its too hard.

Shifty

I'm bad at racing games, so I'm gonna pick up the new Need for Speed and just repeatedly ram my car in the side walls for 30 min and then upload it on <insert professional gaming magazine here>.

What? It's not my responsibility to market the game for you sheeples!

Your satire is appreciated.

You inspired me

A flat arena with kb + m :p

Cipherr

See, yeah this is much better. What I would have expected to see.

Its crazy but... it makes the game look so much better too. Been gaming a long time but I'll admit I didn't fully realize how someone playing badly can effect the view on the game itself so heavily.

Grief.exe

Scl5rwX.gif

ymgve

Speaking of chainsaw you can use chainsaw kills to get lots of ammo but you can only do so many of them before you run out of fuel and have to find some (so far the limit is 4 for me), and if you use it on a big enemy then you use as much fuel as it requires to kill 3 imps...and you can only use it on big enemies when they are weak.

I think the chainsaw can be used basically against every enemy in the game, but it requires fuel according to the size of the enemy, so unless you upgrade your ammo capacity a few times, the required fuel exceeds what you can carry for the larger ones. I seem to recall one enemy taking five fuel cells when I chopped it down.

RevenWolf

Are there seriously people on here arguing that controllers beat kb/m???

I mean I understand preference, but there is in no world where a controller would work better in an fps than kn/m.

And I'm not saying that as an insult, it's just a fact, play any competitive fps and use a controller against mouse players, you will get destroyed every time because you physically can't aim anywhere near as fast as a mouse.

Are there seriously people on here arguing that controllers beat kb/m???

I mean I understand preference, but there is in no world where a controller would work better in an fps than kn/m.

And I'm not saying that as an insult, it's just a fact, play any competitive fps and use a controller against mouse players, you will get destroyed every time because you physically can't aim anywhere near as fast as a mouse.

I'm much better with a controller than kb/m. I'm not saying I could beat a similarly skilled player, obviously the input allows a much greater range of motion in a much quicker timeframe, but controller me would smoke kb/m me.

I guess I could learn, but it's not really a priority. Besides, I'm a couch peasant.

RevenWolf

I'm much better with a controller than kb/m. I'm not saying I could beat a similarly skilled player, obviously the input allows a much greater range of motion in a much quicker timeframe, but controller me would smoke kb/m me.

I guess I could learn, but it's not really a priority. Besides, I'm a couch peasant.

Oh like I mentioned personal preference isn't an issue, I don't mind people who prefer controllers or feel that they are better at it.

My point was just stemming from a post I saw claiming that the elite controller was better than mouse/keyboard, which is a ridiculous assertion to make for a fps.

As I said it wasn't meant as an insult at all, it's just that if you put the best controller player against the best mouse player, it's just no contest because of the accuracy and speed a mouse gives.

Essentially preference for one is subjective, but only one provides an objectively faster/more accurate experience.

That being said of course games like dark souls or platformers or other games that don't need precision aiming but do need precision movement a controller dominates.

PKrockin

There's a cut at 9:14 after which he's lost his armor and some health. Did the player fart around some more and jump into the fire thinking that's where he needed to go? That would be pretty embarrassing, I can see why they'd cut it.

USC-fan

Banned
Polygon is going to polygon.

This is exactly how i pictured they play games. LOL Just perfect.

This is why we need more game play in reviews. If you play this bad, I dont care what you think about a game.

hlhbk

Wow I just read through all 18 pages of this thread (I got 100 posts per page) and what a ride that was! It literally went all over the place including a KB/mouse vs controller debate! Threads like this are why I love GAF. BTW KB/mouse can't be touched in a FPS.

Love seeing so many Doom threads!

xrnzaaas

I couldn't get past the first fight... so painful to watch. The most hilarious thing is that the person that played this kept using pistol despite having a shotgun and plenty of ammo around. Also I feel like they didn't play any fast FPS's in the past (and not only the distant past, Painkiller, Serious Sam or Bulletstorm would also count).

Part of being a professional is being proficient and even excelling at your profession.

This previewer is not a professional at video games; That's for damned sure.

If I were became incompetent in my career I would loose it in a heartbeat.
Their job isn't to be an professional game player. I mean they're not in eSports. They write about them.

Are you a professional neogaf poster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom