• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Polygon 'playing' Doom...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamezone

Gold Member
It's Arthur Gies playing, and he's banning a bunch of people on Twitter for telling him that they didn't enjoy the gameplay in this video.

milkham

It's Arthur Gies playing, and he's banning a bunch of people on Twitter for telling him that they didn't enjoy the gameplay in this video.

I'm no fan of Gies but I can't believe it is him unless he was eating a sandwhich simultaneously. banning people from his twitter i can believe though.

Ecto311

I'm no fan of Gies but I can't believe it is him unless he was eating a sandwhich simultaneously. banning people from his twitter i can believe though.

Maybe he was getting a tattoo while playing.

Funny to hear he is banning people. Seems about right that dude seems so serious about completely silly shit like gaming.

HariKari

Its not awful. i have definitely seen worse its fine. Not everyone can be good at games you know.

Well, that's fitting, because not everyone should be paid to write reviews about games.

This is Doom we're talking about. If you literally can't do a major part of the game, your review is useless outside of novelty. It's like someone that's not good enough to get a license reviewing the merits a sports car. What are they going to say that's relevant? The seats are comfy?

This isn't some fly by night operation either. It's a major website. They can find somebody that's not so bad to play and review the game.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Its not awful. i have definitely seen worse its fine. Not everyone can be good at games you know.

you've seen worse than somebody apparently unable to move both analog sticks at the same time?

are you sure you're talking about the same video?

thing looks like somebody was trying to play with one hand while holding a beer or some shit

RevenWolf

you've seen worse than somebody apparently unable to move both analog sticks at the same time?

are you sure you're talking about the same video?

thing looks like somebody was trying to play with one hand while holding a beer or some shit

I've seen worse, but barely, my parents that literally never touched a controller ever are worse, and even then, give them a day or two and I'm pretty sure they would reach that videos level.

How can he possibly do his job properly???

Trickster

Wowza. 39 pages. You guys might want to re-evaluate your priorities.

Every day when I first go onto gaf and see this thread still on page 1 I can't help but think "...still?".

It seems like it's litterally the same posts being made over and over.

Zomba13

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.

I remember him talking about his difficulty with grasping horseback riding in Red Dead and wondering what the fuck he was on about in the old Rebel FM days. Oh well. He's more successful than me.

when did it become a requirement to be good at games to review them?
When did it become a requirement to know how to drive a car to review them? When did it become a requirement to understand cooking techniques to write culinary critique? When did it become a requirement to understand literary devices to write literary reviews?

Asking for a baseline competence is not asking that reviewers be some kind of "TRUE 1337 MLG PRO GAMERS."

Vex_

Banned
Every day when I first go onto gaf and see this thread still on page 1 I can't help but think "...still?".

It seems like it's litterally the same posts being made over and over.

That's because different people are coming in later into thread and have missed the beginning part of the conversation.

Maybe someone can do a thread recap? Cause we pretty much came to a neat conclusion like 20 pages ago last FUCKING WEEK.

-We all agreed this wasn't a review. This keeps being repeated.
-New discussion on qualifications of a reviewer in general.
-Dimmie gets immortalized

OWOaSBY.png

Why, yes.

-We all agreed that the person playing in the video doesn't need to be pro.
-Silly analogies kept being posted, and continue to be posted.

Disagreements:

+The person DOES need to know how to hold a controller and operate both sticks.

+Some people feel differently. Visuals, story more important. As long as they can get an idea of what is going on, it doesn't matter.

+Some people feel Vex is too cool for school. Some don't.

Zocano

Ben Kuchera sounds traumatised by this game. I hate guns IRL. I'm pretty pro-gun control and have mentioned documentaries about kids and guns, and the dangers of toy guns looking like the real thing. I've never held one and might only do so on a shooting range. But this is melodramatic (being freaked out by a bullet being fired) to the point of being a parody of overly sensitive lefties. This doesn't help the disreputable view that GAF and others already have of Ben.

But in a way, I guess it's cool that the videogame "Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades" affected him so much emotionally to have such a reaction.

The guy is pushing the melodramatic a bit much but the people hounding the video seem to just have a chip on their shoulder and will be overly aggressive against anything polygon. Requoting you because I feel this is a way more measured approach to the video rather than "it's a game, stop taking it so seriously" shit. The dude had a revelation about how detached actual gun usage actually is in games and he's going on about it. Like the doom gameplay vid it's not a review of the game, this particular one is just impressions he took away from it and I don't see how it can possibly ruffle people's feathers so much to shit on him.

pa22word

Penny Arcade made a sort-of related comic

Of all the things I've heard regarding the holding of review copies, this honestly makes the most sense after reading reviews of the game.

This soon after uncharted and all the pretentious schlock from the press that follows a ND game, DOOM was never going to review "well". Might as well give it to the players to enjoy at the same time, because be honest here: how many of you here would have gave the game a second look if it had a 78 MC on launch day vs the heavy praise based on word of mouth alone it had? I'm going to guess not a lot of people, and bethesda probably thought so too.

Coreda

Be honest here: how many of you here would have gave the game a second look if it had a 78 MC on launch day vs the heavy praise based on word of mouth alone it had? I'm going to guess not a lot of people, and bethesda probably thought so too.

It's a unique angle. Certainly helped with the initial impression, though I know many here who don't care a great deal about scores compared to player opinions. A good game is going to generate a lot of positive posting on this board.

Haven't opened this thread until now that its really blown up.

Watched the Poly video thinking Gaf was just exaggerating but man oh man was that some hilarious gameplay.

Not asking for pro level stuff but that looked like a drunk 8 year old handed a controller for the first time haha.
Would expect better video to depict Doom from a high profile video game publication.

Funny video anyway lol.

It doesn't help when people

Don't watch the video
Watch the wrong video
Have loony ideas that you can be essentially a clothed chimp and still be a good journalist

It's not Gies playing that's a DIFFERENT video.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just listened to Gies on the recent Rebel FM discussing Doom. He essentially stated that he used an elite controller on the Xbone, and apparently played with the sticks reversed(guessing he is a southpaw), but the problem was that this also reversed the triggers, thus the shoot button was on the left trigger making it very awkward to acclimate(he just wanted the sticks reversed). On top of that he complained the sensitivity of the elite controller profile he was using caused his aiming to overshoot targets constantly until he made adjustments.

Essentially the video was likely recorded during this whole process which did not show him or the game in the best light, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Still an immensely poor decision to even utilize that footage at all assuming all of the above to be a factor, particularly for a site like Polygon where credibility is their trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom