• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Polygon 'playing' Doom...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMaRsu

Banned
I don't understand why this thread is 37 pages.

It's just a person playing DOOM. They are probably younger and used to Gears of Uncharted games where you huddle behind a wall and peek out for headshots.

They need to strafe more, and their aim isn't good, but from what I watched they were using the melee attack properly. This person could definitely loop the game.

This is just what it looks like when I watch like 80% of my friends play a game like DOOM.

Except this person gets paid to give an impression. This video looks like a baby playing it.

Riddick

While we're still mocking Polygon, has this video or that video been posted yet?

Hehehehe.

I couldn't believe it either but here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwg6RTjCH7g

I've been laughing out loud for a few minutes now. My God, what a combo, first the video with the gun game comparison then Boogie 's video which is hysterical, and then the final and best part, the actual video from the previous post which is even more cringe-worthy without the music.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Looks like the average player to me. You guys are in such a bubble.

Is it a competition to see who can be more tolerant/accepting of any and everything? It's pathetic.
That's not an average player by any stretch. That looks to be someone who has maybe picked up the controller for the first time.

Multiplayer feedback on this 'average' level would ruin any developers chance of making good-excellent multiplayer games.

Is it a competition to see who can be more tolerant/accepting of any and everything? It's pathetic.
That's not an average player by any stretch. That looks to be someone who has maybe picked up the controller for the first time.

Multiplayer feedback on this 'average' level would ruin any developers chance of making good-excellent multiplayer games.
It's a fact that a new born baby has more fine motor skills than this "journalist".

So, you could say that Polygon rip and teared it's journalistic credibility?

Has anyone done that one yet? Am I the first?

I don't care, I just felt like saying it.

Sue me.

YOLO.

PillarEN

never forget it and it still makes me laugh and mad at the same time. It's unbelievable how Totilo talks about the game to justify his play lol. fuck it

Although I will say that I brought my Wii U to one of my parent's place and their TV has baaaaad input lag (stupid 3D fad TVs). And the game will be unforgiving if that is the case.

"Hey, we need somebody to show off the game for thirty minutes!"
"Doom? I dont know what that is but I'll play video games. I love them, play them on my phone all the time!"
"Perfect, sit down and record for thirty minutes."

-MD-

https://www.twitch.tv/biggestinjapan/v/42574278

OH CRAP IN A HAT

I'll never forget this video, still makes me laugh!
Watch it from 4h18min, some Kotaku guy playing DKCTF.

never forget it and it still makes me laugh and mad at the same time. It's unbelievable how Totilo talks about the game to justify his play lol. fuck it

I recall Totillo admitting at one point that Gears of War's campaign was too difficult for him.

Not surprised at this really.

I couldn't believe it either but here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwg6RTjCH7g

Ben Kuchera sounds traumatised by this game. I hate guns IRL. I'm pretty pro-gun control and have mentioned documentaries about kids and guns, and the dangers of toy guns looking like the real thing. I've never held one and might only do so on a shooting range. But this is melodramatic (being freaked out by a bullet being fired) to the point of being a parody of overly sensitive lefties. This doesn't help the disreputable view that GAF and others already have of Ben.

But in a way, I guess it's cool that the videogame "Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades" affected him so much emotionally to have such a reaction.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
https://www.twitch.tv/biggestinjapan/v/42574278

OH CRAP IN A HAT

I'll never forget this video, still makes me laugh!
Watch it from 4h18min, some Kotaku guy playing DKCTF.
I don't understand the comparison here or why this is supposed to be funny. The player seems to be struggling but still doing pretty decently in a fairly difficult platformer. Not even remotely comparable to someone who can't move two analog sticks at once.

Are we really at the point where now we're laughing at people who aren't perfect at difficult platformers? Christ...

Kinyou

Has this really devolved into making fun of people not knowing how an M16 works? Brad at Giant Bomb had the same issue because, surprise, people don't know how guns work because they've only ever used them in video games.

Criticism is one thing, but a 37 page thread over a harmless preview is just creepy.
Come on, there is some good unintentional comedy in this soul searching monologue that ends with revealing that the game is called "Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades"

Looks like the average player to me. You guys are in such a bubble.
I'd say this video stands out compared to other journalists playing Doom.

USC-fan

Banned
Has this really devolved into making fun of people not knowing how an M16 works? Brad at Giant Bomb had the same issue because, surprise, people don't know how guns work because they've only ever used them in video games.

Criticism is one thing, but a 37 page thread over a harmless preview is just creepy.

That is not why people are laughing at him. It has little to do with not knowing how a m16 works.

It's just a person playing DOOM. They are probably younger and used to Gears of Uncharted games where you huddle behind a wall and peek out for headshots.

They need to strafe more, and their aim isn't good, but from what I watched they were using the melee attack properly. This person could definitely loop the game.

This is just what it looks like when I watch like 80% of my friends play a game like DOOM.
Are your friends working for video game press outlets?

Grief.exe

This hobby is fucking dead fam

FVrUUPS.gif

Nosgotham

So you've moved past gentle chiding and into open trolling towards them for their overall coverage? I get it, you're not their target audience. Go watch something that makes you happy instead of shitting over unrelated videos for jollies or for some imaginary cool points.

did you remember a gun kept above a box of pot at a family members house when you were a kid? thats the only way i can rationalize your response

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I finaly found someone who plays fps worse than me

That Kotaku stream is smh funny. Sounds like me making excuses for how bad I've gotten at cooking nowadays tbh. It's the kitchen, the stove, the pans, the ventilation etc, not my lack of patience, focus, preparation or unwillingness to relearn.

FoxSpirit

I don't understand the comparison here or why this is supposed to be funny. The player seems to be struggling but still doing pretty decently in a fairly difficult platformer. Not even remotely comparable to someone who can't move two analog sticks at once.

Are we really at the point where now we're laughing at people who aren't perfect at difficult platformers? Christ...
It's not the skill level in this case. It's the maturity about the whole thing. "Everything about the game is just to fuck with you" The later it gets, the more he whines. "I wish I was having fun, but I am not." "Basically everything about this is, how chaotic can we make the stage. " He wishes this game was like Rayman, "where there is just a certain speed you can you, then every jump is placed correctly and ..." etc etc
"Yeah, I guess Rayman is more like Meatboy or something like that"
Dude, duuuuude.... go and play Meatboy. I love a good challenge but Meatboy at one point simply isn't fun for me. Next to Meatboy, DKRTF is childs play.

His frustration is all over the whole piece. He isn't a bad player or anything but his attitude is terrible. I expect a good game reviewer to enjoy a challenge and be able to point out when a game is challenging. Not whine endlessly how the game is only about fucking with you because that is not what DKRTF is about.
Personal opinion: It's a challenging platformer with amazing level design, always mixing up the challenge and keeping it fresh. A stark contrast to something like Rayman Origins which is so boring I could not stomach a lot of it. Legends is supposedly better but after Origins I am weary.

Best regards, Chris

edit:
To be completely honest if i had to play games constently for a job i probably wouldn't put tons of effort into it.
Wtf, welcome to the workplace world. You put in some damn effort, it's your job.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not the skill level in this case. It's the maturity about the whole thing.
Ohhhhh damn I was watching with the sound off... >_< I thought it was about skill/experience since the thread is about that, so I assumed it was the same. Sorry about that, I see your point now.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
To be completely honest if i had to play games constently for a job i probably wouldn't put tons of effort into it.

To be completely honest with that attitude no employer would hire you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom