• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

iswasdoes

That's what he's saying I think, although I haven't read the whole exchange. People were mad that it was implied the switch didn't have the resources to handle voice chat, and people snapped back with "the vita could do it, why would you think the switch couldn't?" It's not that it couldn't, it's that it could possibly be that it can't because how Nintendo allotted the resources.

And im the one doing gymnastics. Unbelievable.

Mael

Messages -> Options -> Privacy Settings -> Set to Friends Only

Assuming that's the type of spam you're talking about.

Now as to why it's not the default setting...

do you realize that xbox 360 had 512mb of RAM and still provided build in voice chat?

so 512 MB FREE for the switch OS when running a game is a fucking lot.

"Man, I had 512MB free on my computer in 97 and now my computer can't do anything when I have 1Go left, how come?"

jdmonmou

How is Nintendo supposed to sell you an app and an adapter?

As an aside, iPhone 7 or a new flagship Android phone + docked mode Switch is going to be a level of cord and dongle hell that is comical to think about.
Good point. The iPhone 7 doesn't have an audio jack.

Madness

But for those without the headphone jack on their iPhones, they have to use the adapter and then put this Splatoon adapter into that?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. OK. Would that really take that much battery power?

The biggest problem is that batteries in bluetooth headphones are generally very very small. An additional audio processor wouldn't use a lot of power for sure but there isn't much available to begin with.

Still though, my point is that it's much more complicated and expensive than a wired adaptor. It's certainly possible to make though, it's just not as simple as the wired version and as such would have a smaller potential market.

I can picture some premium style large over the ear headsets existing though where there's space for a larger battery and people are already willing to pay a bit more

Stencil

I do not understand how Nintendo just doesn't release a phone-holding JoyCon grip like this with all the functionality build into the unit. Maybe there would be a couple short weird 3.5 mm male-male cords but it wouldn't be a monstrosity.

ntrwnhohqlay.jpg

This is a great idea and that placeholder image is pretty funny, too.

Having your phone be dedicated to voice chat on a console is idoitic, having this convoluted way of connecting a headset for dual audio is beyond idiotic.

Seeing people's mental gymnastics in defending this decision is giving me a headache. This shit is stupid, plain and simple, you guys spouting off parental control and shit like that make no sense. Parental controls are available on all systems and can affect things like voice chat, without the need of chatting on a phone. I haven't seen one half decent argument in here about why this setup is beneficial in any way.

I get that other consoles have a superior method and use it regularly, but this simply changes my usage case from plugging headphones into a controller to now plugging headphones into a phone. Other than that I'll use it in the same way as can anybody else. It's not such a radically different approach to warrant so much outrage imo.

Nintendo expects Switch owners to already have a smartphone.
Shortsighted? Forward thinking? Either way downloading an app in 2017 is not 'far more effort'

But you only need the controller on other consoles and you need both the controller and your phone on switch. Is not a radical difference but is a way worse method to provide voice chat and deserves all the outrage of the world.

The biggest problem is that batteries in bluetooth headphones are generally very very small. An additional audio processor wouldn't use a lot of power for sure but there isn't much available to begin with.

Still though, my point is that it's much more complicated and expensive than a wired adaptor. It's certainly possible to make though, it's just not as simple as the wired version and as such would have a smaller potential market.

I can picture some premium style large over the ear headsets existing though where there's space for a larger battery and people are already willing to pay a bit more

Oh yeah, for sure I'm imagining some big old cans here. I've had some in the past that take two AA batteries. But from the image provided, these headphones are pretty big anyway. And whilst it may be more complicated to implement, it's much simpler for the user, compared to this big old mess.

The switch has a 3 band audio port and USB ports on the damn dock

They dont need to worry about wireless to solve that particular concern

As someone who does not use online chat, or indeed headphones very often, could someone explain to me: Is there a good reason why we couldn't just use, like, these...?

A83j7Oj.jpg

This is what I was picturing would be used by going into a phone along with the Switch. All to facilitate whatever supposed benefit the app might have brought. (Which I realize is just a big question mark right now.)

I was willing to see how adding a phone to the equation might work, but adding the squid adapter thing as well is too many things in my book.

Nintendo really needs to come forward and explain how this is all supposed to work.

molnizzle

do you realize that xbox 360 had 512mb of RAM and still provided build in voice chat?

so 512 MB FREE for the switch OS when running a game is a fucking lot.

The responsiveness of the Xbox 360 UI would not be acceptable for a mobile device in 2017. Hell, the Xbox One's wouldn't either—and that OS has significantly more resources allocated to it.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
That's what he's saying I think, although I haven't read the whole exchange. People were mad that it was implied the switch didn't have the resources to handle voice chat, and people snapped back with "the vita could do it, why would you think the switch couldn't?" It's not that it couldn't, it's that it could possibly be that it can't because how Nintendo allotted the resources.

Not off the top of my head. I just remember rumblings early on about games having access to something like 3.5 GB of the system's memory. That doesn't leave much overhead for everything else. People then made further deductions based on the barebones-ass OS and the fact that many functions were being offloaded to a smartphone. I don't think we have any hard confirmation on any of this, but I could be wrong.

I mean, I'm not arguing that it's better. It was shortsighted as fuck, but this is the decision they presumably made. Now we're stuck dealing with it.

Sure, I get you

Mael

But you only need the controller on other consoles and you need both the controller and your phone on switch. Is not a radical difference but is a way worse method to provide voice chat and deserves all the outrage of the world.

Amen to that.
This solution would be perfect if party chat wasn't a thing though.
It's hoops for the sake of hoops here.

aBarreras

This is what I was picturing would be used by going into a phone along with the Switch. All to facilitate whatever supposed benefit the app might have brought. (Which I realize is just a big question mark right now.)

I was willing to see how adding a phone to the equation might work, but adding the squid adapter thing as well is too many things in my book.

Nintendo really needs to come forward and explain how this is all supposed to work.

dudeee, the squid adapter is not by nintendo, is an addon from hori, so you can hear the game and the audiochat on the headphones.

Alucrid

Banned

what's confusing about how this is supposed to work? the picture in the OP seems pretty clear

see5harp

Before anyone gets too angry about this:

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintendo

This is fucking rich.

molnizzle

Why are you doing this

There is no excuse.

I'm not making excuses. Just providing explanations.

The argument that "if the Vita could do it the Switch could too!" presumably doesn't work because of decisions that were made long before the Switch actually launched. There's nothing that can be done about it now if that is indeed what happened.

entremet

I still cannot fathom how this passed any executive meeting.

This is very Kyoto, who calls the shots. Reggie has no influence.

Admodieus

I mean, we all saw this coming when we realized the lack of headphone jack on the controllers and the talk of a companion smartphone app. Just sad that this is the route they're going.

Anybody defending this outcome needs to take a long look in the fanboy mirror. It's okay to admit that there is a flaw with something you like! Nintendo is not perfect, nor are Sony or Microsoft.

The argument that "if the Vita could do it the Switch could too!" presumably doesn't work because of decisions that were made long before the Switch actually launched. There's nothing that can be done about it now if that is indeed what happened.

Bullshit

They could get this working regardless of the resource allocation. I dont buy that logic for a second

The argument that "if the Vita could do it the Switch could too!" presumably doesn't work because of decisions that were made long before the Switch actually laundhed. There's nothing that can be done about it now if that is indeed what happened.

Is clearly not a ram limitation, is a stupid decision, like you said.

Mael

Hey, at least it's not a shitty solution that you also have to pay for to a problem that shouldn't exist to being with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again if the point is to make it hard to voice chat to limit griefing, I'd say it's not that bad if it works (it won't).
I don't use that kind of stuffs and i don't pay for the privilege to play online so i don't think I'll be concerned by that.

Shiggy

How is an official statement from the president of Nintendo of America not supposed to be taken seriously or definitive?

It'll be some PR spin like "we'll be looking into it", which will some read as "oh, it's coming". Some people on here argued the same about an achievement system or cloud saves (if insiders are to be believed, at least the latter are coming now).

My hope is that this obnoxious set up is specifically for portable mode chat and that the docked version will have a more elegant (read: standard) approach to voice chat.

That being said, while I will not be using this set up under any circumstances, I am seriously considering buying that slick looking headset if the quality proves to be decent.

edit:

How is an official statement from the president of Nintendo of America not supposed to be taken seriously or definitive?

Because Reggie doesn't seem to have any meaningful authority, giving the impression that he operates as a PR man for NA publishing.

Pizza

If the main idea is to connect to a phone headset like Skype then this sort of seems like a nonissue

Use a single earbud headset and you would be able to keep your phone in your pocket and freely chat no matter if the switch is docked or undocked

This solution is dumb though. It's stupid that you can't use your phone for just voice chat AND alternatively plug it into the switch itself for both

But also this is a toy for children so a phone is a huge barrier for entry for kids being exposed to/participating in having sex withcpeople's moms verbally over the internet

Mael

My hope is that this obnoxious set up is specifically for portable mode chat and that the docked version will have a more elegant (read: standard) approach to voice chat.

That being said, while I will not be using this set up under any circumstances, I am seriously considering buying that slick looking headset if the quality proves to be decent.

How?
The more elegant approach would have been for the portable solution!
The only jack for headphone/mic is on the system itself!

Crayon

When you make a basic feature needlessly complex, it's a big deal. We would have the same thread if this were a Sony or Microsoft product.

And it would also be a kind of overreaction. Sure it's dumb. And it's def not what we're used to. But... That's it.

The defence force for this is absolutely hilarious. I'm sorry but Nintendo seems to have shit the bed with this.

They must be off their heads on crack when designing consoles.

dudeee, the squid adapter is not by nintendo, is an addon from hori, so you can hear the game and the audiochat on the headphones.

Was just wondering if Nintendo will offer something smaller that just latches onto phones.

what's confusing about how this is supposed to work? the picture in the OP seems pretty clear

Sure, but I'm still curious to see what the app itself is. If it'll be basically Nintendo's version of Discord for phones or whatever.

I dunno, it's Nintendo. Good or bad, they always pull some crazy, unexpected idea so I just feel like there's maybe more to this than what Reggie and Hori have shared. (Not saying it'll all necessarily be justified in the end. Just wanna basically see Nintendo present this proposition.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom