• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is unequivocally stupid, Nintendo.

I love my Switch but they are better off not even bothering if this is what they came up with. Less bitter pill to swallow to know it doesn't even exist.

If you look at my post history, I'm one of Nintendo's biggest cheerleaders here. This is Wii U level fail.

Kthulhu

But they have to pay for the online AND connect their phone AND launch the game.
Which kid has time for that shit when they want to play a bit of splatoon?

Kids who's parents would buy them a smartphone and a switch, so most of them.

And it would also be a kind of overreaction. Sure it's dumb. And it's def not what we're used to. But... That's it.

It's also completely unnecessary. Hence this thread.

If you don't like the reactions, there are lots of other threads where this isn't being discussed.

Alucrid

Banned
Was just wondering if Nintendo will offer something smaller that just latches onto phones.

Sure, but I'm still curious to see what the app itself is. If it'll be basically Nintendo's version of Discord for phones or whatever.

I dunno, it's Nintendo. Good or bad, they always pull some crazy, unexpected idea so I just feel like there's maybe more to this than what Reggie and Hori have shared. (Not saying it'll all necessarily be justified in the end. Just wanna basically see Nintendo present this proposition.)

phone = voice chat. switch = game audio. hori product = mixer. i'm not seeing what special sauce they can add to spice this up.

Lets go over this one more time

Why Are they doing this?

Laziness, defeat, outsourcing, incompetence? Take your pick

How do they do this better?

By using the Audio jack on the system, and using the USB ports on the dock. Put this shit in the OS

But what about the Children

I dunno.. they built this brand new fucking Parental app that they made a youtube video for to show off how robust their protection suite is..... and wtf there is also party chat and locking communications to friends only AMONG hundreds of other possible software solutions to this relatively simple problem

Any other questions? Or can we all agree Nintendo has a terrible stinking pile of shit on their hands with this

I find it hilarious there is a defense force for this in here.

How ridiculous. It goes great with the "bulky gamer headset" nonsense spin that Reggie put out too :)

Xbox 360 UI is very responsive by the way. It's still great today. If Nintendo were able to make the switch have all 360 features and UI speed that would be a great product.

Kyzer

Banned
Ahh, I never played that one, but that is huge indeed. Damn, I was thinking about getting MH XX for Switch as well, but I feel like partying up in a game like that is contingent on voicechat... Hopefully they do come up with a seamless way to do voicechat wirelessly. I just want Nintendo to be transparent in why they decided to do it this way, but I realize that will likely not happen.

This solutions terrible, really really bad. But MH never had voice chat before did it?

Canucked

I won't be online with my new Switch, and I hate the cell phone thing...

But I don't mind the design of the actual headset itself

I find it hilarious there is a defense force for this in here.

How ridiculous. It goes great with the "bulky gamer headset" nonsense spin that Reggie put out too :)

Xbox 360 UI is very responsive by the way. It's still great today. If Nintendo were able to make the switch have all 360 features and UI speed that would be a great product.

I can't believe it either. I absolutely adore my switch and it probably saved gaming for me as I was completely burnt out, but this is a completely ridiculous method for using chat. I'm supposed to be walking around with all that shit? F that.

molnizzle

This solutions terrible, really really bad. But MH never had voice chat before did it?

MH3U definitely had voice chat. At Wii U launch—and without any additional hardware. I remember scolding people who were using the tablet mic for not plugging in a dedicated headset. But at least they could used the tablet mic...

Devastus

Neo Member
Did they not do this so players can talk to each other regardless of Nintendo system? I know they announced cross-platform play between 3DS and Switch for MHXX. Maybe they have plans for more games being cross-platform? If not this is absolutely silly.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
How is this real life? Nintendo is so backwards. This is just laughable. First Nintendo says "no ports" and places roadblocks for certain devs to release games on the system, a system that has been hurting for games, and now this debacle. I wish Nintendo would get new management.

aBarreras

MH3U definitely had voice chat. At Wii U launch—and without any additional hardware. I remember scolding people who were using the tablet mic for not plugging in a dedicated headset. But at least they could used the tablet mic...

but monster hunter 3 ultimate voice chat is IN GAME, developers can still add in game voice chat, what people is asking for is system wide voice chat

Steroyd

Nintendo is going to charge for this shit

Nintendo is going to ask people to pay money for this shit.

Just to rewind the clock a bit, Sony got shat on for their online service on the PS3 compared to Xbox Live and that was free and had voice chat from launch... In 2006.

They should just make an app for the switch if that's what they want people using. Discord, Skype, whatever. I don't know what they want with a dedicated app.

TeegsD

Yeah...no. I really want voice chat on my Switch and I really dig the look of those headphones...but no way is this a feasible solution for me. First off, if I'm in docked mode, I'm just going to have to get a 10ft aux cable to plug into the Switch itself. Yeah, no thank you. I'll just keep my multiplayer-fueled rage to myself and my cats.

Peltz

I think my biggest issue is that this solution is at odds with the way the Switch was designed and marketed. It comes across as a very sleek piece of futuristic tech that is way more thoughtfully made/engineered than their previous hardware. It's an all in one solution for enjoying games in many different ways.

The way they handle voice chat, however, feels like the complete opposite.

Mael

Lets go over this one more time

Why Are they doing this?

Laziness, defeat, outsourcing, incompetence? Take your pick

We know it's not laziness for sure.
Making something so hilariously inconvenient is more work than any other alternative.

Did you just skip your childhood completely?

Did you skip yours?
If you have an alloted time to play (that the console can now track and warn the parents about) you probably don't want to waste time having to setup a party having to call all your friends to connect to the app and everything.
It's another barrier put in place for them.
Same reason you don't see that many kids streaming on ps4 when you need a console, the camera and all, that setup is ridiculously easy in comparison.
Which makes me think that it's very funny that it's easier to stream stuffs on ps4 than it is to voice chat on switch.

Qassim

Before anyone gets too angry about this:

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintendo

hahahahahahaha

the excuses in this thread are unbelievable.

molnizzle

but monster hunter 3 ultimate voice chat is IN GAME, developers can still add in game voice chat, what people is asking for is system wide voice chat

True, but my point was that you could use your voice to communicate on Wii U without a bunch of adapter bullshit. With the Switch you can't, whether in-game or out.

marmoka

Banned
If Nintendo wanted to be the trending topic of the videogames today, they did it

I cannot stop laughing hard everytime I see that thing

Seik

Banned
I think people are getting the wrong idea here.

Nintendo always pushed for local multiplayer.

So they did make this voice chat system so disgusting that people would simply do ''You know what, fuck that shit, just come at my place and we'll play here!''.

It's not that hard to understand, guys!

lol

Mael

This is going to cost Nintendo. Negative word of mouth on this will hurt sales to a degree.

1200.jpg

Wouldn't really help docked play.

The $70 Pro controller not having a headphone jack is the true failure here.

Not on the Switch. Not sure about Wii U.

Yeah but at least they could support USB dongle wireless headsets that PS4 and XBOX use

There IS a better way to do all of this and they are just choosing an impossibly dumb way

Kthulhu

Really? My buddy and I use FaceTime Audio all the time. Works great.

I meant as opposed to built in chat. Not for general usage.

We know it's not laziness for sure.
Making something so hilariously inconvenient is more work than any other alternative.

Did you skip yours?
If you have an alloted time to play (that the console can now track and warn the parents about) you probably don't want to waste time having to setup a party having to call all your friends to connect to the app and everything.
It's another barrier put in place for them.
Same reason you don't see that many kids streaming on ps4 when you need a console, the camera and all, that setup is ridiculously easy in comparison.
Which makes me think that it's very funny that it's easier to stream stuffs on ps4 than it is to voice chat on switch.

You are assuming that the majority of parents are going to use the parental controls (they won't). They'll either hook their kid up with an account​ or the kid will do it themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom