• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

VertPin

Dang. Can't download the game on PSN, and the website only lets me preorder it (then tells me I am ineligible). :(

edit:website pulled through! playing on PS4!

Just passed Green Hill but I thought
there was supposed to be an animated opening?

I'm also having the realization that I'm terrible at classic Sonic after all these years.

ok. awesome. thank you so much. i've never played a sonic game before. and theres no instructions. like i didnt know about the dash jump thing. so thank you a lot. appreciate it.

so i have to collect the 7 emeralds to win?

(sorry for the goof fellas. i never had a sega and was a nintendo fanboy so never knew anything beyond sonic and coins. and the game doesnt spell anything out for you beyond "every button jumps". like even from the beginning i had a choice of playing as sonic, sonic AND the squirrel, or sonic's gf(?). like who the hell are these two? do they play different?)

btw i'm playing this on switch. looks and sounds great. i just wish i knew what the hell was going on.
Beat all the levels to win. 7 emeralds to get the true ending, which in S3&K (it was 14 in S3&K but...) meant an extra level.

Tails is Sonic's bro, Knuckles is his rival. ("gf" is hilarious, lol)

They play quite different. Tails is like Sonic, but can fly. Knuckles can glide and climb walls. And bust through some walls. And his jump isn't as high

ok. awesome. thank you so much. i've never played a sonic game before. and theres no instructions. like i didnt know about the dash jump thing. so thank you a lot. appreciate it.

so i have to collect the 7 emeralds to win?

(sorry for the goof fellas. i never had a sega and was a nintendo fanboy so never knew anything beyond sonic and coins. and the game doesnt spell anything out for you beyond "every button jumps". like even from the beginning i had a choice of playing as sonic, sonic AND the squirrel, or sonic's gf(?). like who the hell are these two? do they play different?)

btw i'm playing this on switch. looks and sounds great. i just wish i knew what the hell was going on.
The "squirrel" is a fox named Tails, he can fly. Think of him as the game's easy mode.

The red one is Knuckles, Sonic's frenemy. He can glide, climb and punch through breakable walls (whereas Sonic and Tails have to spin dash through them, and even then there are some that only Knuckles can break which lead to alternate paths). However, he has a lower jump than the other two, so he's like the hard mode.

Mania is deliberately old-school in that it plops you in the middle of level 1 and that's all you get.

I just damn near teared up playing the bonus stage

I just damn near teared up looking at the eshop

If my Switch wasn't starved for games and my PS4 flooded with games I'd just be getting it on PSN right now.... fuck. NIGHT RUINED THANKS REGGIE. I'll just go play Rime.

RedToad64

The messed up part: I recall very fondly of the 3DS launches being available at 9PST. This Switch midnight PST must be new for the console.

EDIT: According to a poster above me, its only for first parties. The game I was remembering oh so fondly was Pokemon XY.
Yeah, first-party developed stuff goes out at midnight (unless it is DLC, like New Super Luigi U and such).

luchadork

1. momentum puzzles. Enjoy them. Be disgusted with yourself for failing them. The levels are basically a series of set pieces that you can explore at your own pace, many of which have a "optimum speed" that you can learn as you go.
2. the flying squirrel is a fox named Tails, who is secretly the main and best character. Tails is how you cheese bosses with local co-op, and it's awesome (I know you watch EZA, so check out the Sonic 2 stream during Easy Livin' to see the co-op cheese in action)
2a. You can kind of control Tails a little bit with player 1, but the real power is in local co-op. He's basically just an AI companion with 1 player. (when he gives you an airlift you gain control though)
3. Play at your own pace. People want to blast ahead, because max speed feels good. But there's no "right way" to do it. (beyond making it through the set pieces described in #1)

Noteworthy goals:

* 50 rings to get to special stages (hold onto 50 rings and hit a star post or whatever they are in this game)
* 100 rings to get an extra life

ahh ok sweet. cheers mate.

Xbudz

Alright, so I'll be playing it on Switch at midnight?
I don't even see it on the eShop to pre-order. Is that not a thing on Switch?

Xbudz

The European version of Sonic Mania is up.
I'd have to buy an EU eShop card and use my EU account.

Eh.

I'll just wait until midnight PST.
Sleep until then.

VeeP

ogy6vgw.gif

Waiting for the Switch version but trying to go fast....

bman94

Welp, calling it a night. Gonna wake up at 6:50 to buy it. It'll probably download while I'm showering or getting ready for work...and then take my Switch to work.

East coast. PSN. Played to world 2. Not only am I impressed. My 9 year old was staring at the game the whole time in awe.

That second UFO kicked my ass. I love it.

Try opening the eShop and viewing the screenshots fullscreen and pressing random buttons and making sonic noises it's almost like playing the real thing.

Dremorak

Banned
Nintendo US maybe. I had sonic mania downloaded at 1205 am this morning in Australia ✌️😎👈

I know right? I only grabbed it a couple of hours ago here in nz cause I assumed they were doing that stupid thing where we have to wait an extra day for no reason. Then I just randomly looked and saw it up and grabbed it straight away.

Also its cheaper on the NZ store vs the US store. Its unheard of.

Dream come true. I played up till the zone 10, it's been magical. The level design is truly something else and the boss battles, omg so amazing. There are so many Easter eggs and fan service, I have a dumb smile on my face the entire time. I can't wait to go back and explore these levels, there are so many interesting ways to mess with the levels to access new areas, what they have done with the elemental shields is pure genius.

The level designs take inspiration from the game they are from, so a Sonic 2 level will be faster and leaner than a Sonic 3 and knuckles level which tend to be slower paced but larger. There is a Sonic cd level that still feels like a drunk guy fell asleep on the level editor buttons and a random level that makes no sense appeared, so it's totally faithful to Sonic cd.

The new levels offer styles mixed of all of the above and introduce some kinks of their own. The level design is superb, probably the best its ever been. Gone are the mean spikes at the end of a speed boost, in fact there aren't many gotcha traps at all, it's a far easier game in that regard and smarter. If I have to be critical it's just that the game is a bit easy, without all the evil traps the levels are far easier to just cruise along. I just replayed Sonic games and they were soooo much harder than this and I have played those a million times. Also I am a fan of Sonic 2 style levels, so the first three zones of mania was heaven to me. It was Sonic 2 style with the creativity of Sonic 3 levels, a perfect mix. But then it went into Sonic 3 levels and things slowed down a bit again. Still it's a game that has something for everyone.

This is a Sonic fans dream game. The fan service, it's everywhere!!!

Dream come true. I played up till the zone 10, it's been magical. The level design is truly something else and the boss battles, omg so amazing. There are so many Easter eggs and fan service, I have a dumb smile on my face the entire time. I can't wait to go back and explore these levels, there are so many interesting ways to mess with the levels to access new areas, what they have done with the elemental shields is pure genius.

The level designs take inspiration from the game they are from, so a Sonic 2 level will be faster and leaner than a Sonic 3 and knuckles level which tend to be slower paced but larger. There is a Sonic cd level that still feels like a drunk guy fell asleep on the level editor buttons and a random level that makes no sense appeared, so it's totally faithful to Sonic cd.

The new levels offer styles mixed of all of the above and introduce some kinks of their own. The level design is superb, probably the best its ever been. Gone are the mean spikes at the end of a speed boost, in fact there aren't many gotcha traps at all, it's a far easier game in that regard and smarter. If I have to be critical it's just that the game is a bit easy, without all the evil traps the levels are far easier to just cruise along. I just replayed Sonic games and they were soooo much harder than this and I have played those a million times. Also I am a fan of Sonic 2 style levels, so the first three zones of mania was heaven to me. It was Sonic 2 style with the creativity of Sonic 3 levels, a perfect mix. But then it went into Sonic 3 levels and things slowed down a bit again. Still it's a game that has something for everyone.

This is a Sonic fans dream game. The fan service, it's everywhere!!!
:lol

On point.

Top Bottom