• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

First up; job interview; second; Sonic Mania all day!!

Thx brokenbeans!

Good luck on your interview!

so good

UT1c.jpg

Man I really need that art book

This game has made me realize just how much I loved playing the genesis sonics as a kid

Oreiller

I'm almost at the end of the game and I have to say, it's probably the best Sonic game released in the last 23 years. I'm going to replay through this game so many times, the level design is stellar.

Love it. And I love the fact I went in to it overconfident. I'm a boss at blue spheres in Sonic 3&K I'll own these stages FUUUUUUUUUCKKKKK

These get hard.

They didn't even attempt to fix blue sphere which irks me and made perfects mandatory to unlock content. Nothing says fun like wandering in circles looking some tiny clumb of 4 spheres in some corner of the stage.

B00TE

This game is an absolute joy to play so far. Levels seem huge, soundtrack is dope.
THAT BOSS FIGHT FOR CHEMICAL PLANT ZONE THO HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

I suck at the sphere stages lol. I used to be so good at them too.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
So my PC CE from Amazon has no prediction on shipping date. Apparently, I presume the problem is with Sega. Just great. Just fucking great.
lpzlBfR.jpg

Link_enfant

Seems like I've just
unlocked the Super Sprint, apparently it's from Sonic CD
How do you do it? Does it work for any character in any mode?

Blue sphere has always been good.

Hey, I'm not saying it wasn't good, it was just never my thing. I always sucked at it.

But now it's finally 60fps. It was only 30 on Genesis if I remember correctly. That may be why it's finally clicking for you.

Yeah, this is probably the reason. It feels easier to play.

If you want to live a nightmare, play Blue Sphere via Sonic 3 on XBLA.

Stalk

Finished my first playthrough of the game, time to go back for the emeralds now.

Highlight boss was definitely CPZ2.
I showed his mean beans

I know the developers will be busy patching bugs but I hope they do another Sonic project next. I'd hate to see the Sonic revival be born and end with Mania. It's just too good.

Duffk1ng

Is there a list of special stage rings anywhere yet? Struggling to find them now I'm past zone 2.

Also fuck the blue spheres stages, many of them are just bullshit.

I got really bored of them after a while. Just ended up starting to skip them. Doesn't help that a large number of the boards are untouched, or just slightly tweaked. (I don't recall rings just sitting out so much, but I could be forgetting.)

Some of them just kill me right off the bat, the ones with this pattern

XXXXX
XOOO
XOOXX
XOXXX
X XXX

I don't quite understand how to approach at all (o being blue spheres and x being red)

I know the developers will be busy patching bugs but I hope they do another Sonic project next. I'd hate to see the Sonic revival be born and end with Mania. It's just too good.

I really want Taxman to port over his Sonic remasters/remakes to modern platforms first, then create a new game.

Ozone

Seems like I've just
unlocked the Super Sprint, apparently it's from Sonic CD
How do you do it? Does it work for any character in any mode?
It can be used in a No Save game. Go over to the No Save slot on the save select screen and on Switch press X (I'm guessing triangle on PS4 and Y on Xbox) to access the secret menu.

ngower

Is the home/screenshot bug on Switch widespread, or was that an isolated incident? I'm gonna pick this up but not sure if I should wait or pick it up tonight?

Vibed

XXXXX
XOOO
XOOXX
XOXXX
X XXX

I don't quite understand how to approach at all (o being blue spheres and x being red)
I think you have to zig zag, then turn around, jump for the one in the corner, and then immediately turn and jump to get out. Craziness. I suppose you could jump for the corner first, but if you fuck up there isnt any way to get the other spheres.

EDIT: Huh, didn't think of just doing the edge.

These Blue Sphere stages are fucking me up. Getting Golds is too hard.

muteki

Fuck blue sphere

That is all
I actually quite like having blue sphere levels so often if you want. And so far most of the ones I have seen are classic levels. I'm guessing from what you get by completing them that they want me to perfect them though.

Seems like it which is lame if you ask me as I wanted to get rid of the drop dash as I hate it and wanted to use the other secret.

Yeah, I mean with suspend it is less of an issue but I'd really like to switch them out freely based on preference.

Is the home/screenshot bug on Switch widespread, or was that an isolated incident? I'm gonna pick this up but not sure if I should wait or pick it up tonight?

It's definitely widespread. Hopefully it's patched soon.

Don't wait to purchase the game though. It's a minor inconvenience at most.

Finalizer

XXXXX
XOOO
XOOXX
XOXXX
X XXX

It looks like you should just go around the edge, and the pattern will naturally complete a 3x3 square and turn into rings. Something like this (- are the spheres you want to hit)

XXXXX
X---
X-OXX
X-XXX
X XXX

Loz246789

XXXXX
XOOO
XOOXX
XOXXX
X XXX

ignore the blue sphere in the middle,
you can make a square of rings with the outer line of blue spheres.

EDIT: ^That

LordKasual

Banned
Man...just got it on Switch. Can't say i'm having as much fun as I wanted to be having.

I can understand bringing back the Blue Sphere stage, but do I really have to play through the exact same ones again? At least use some of the ones from the S&K Lockon stages????? FFS i'm not even conscious while running through these anymore, I could perfect them when I was 8.

I'm only on the second stage and i'm already about to just skip 100% of the special stages because they're boring as fuck, they should have at least brought back the Sonic 2 one

Man...just got it on Switch. Can't say i'm having as much fun as I wanted to be having.

I can understand bringing back the Blue Sphere stage, but do I really have to play through the exact same ones again? At least use some of the ones from the S&K Lockon stages????? FFS i'm not even conscious while running through these anymore, I could perfect them when I was 8.

I'm only on the second stage and i'm already about to just skip 100% of the special stages

There's new Blue Sphere stages as well.

I really want Taxman to port over his Sonic remasters/remakes to modern platforms first, then create a new game.
I agree. I'd love his Sonic CD remaster. It's my favorite Sonic game and I've read it's the best version. Plus it'd be great to have that and Mania side-by-side on my PS4.

I agree. I'd love his Sonic CD remaster. It's my favorite Sonic game and I've read it's the best version. Plus it'd be great to have that and Mania side-by-side on my PS4.

Wait, Sonic CD is your favorite, but you haven't played Taxman's version??

Now I really hope it comes to modern systems. You gotta' play it.

It's a crime that his Sonic 2 is stuck on mobile.

It really is! It deserves to be played by a lot more people.

Ozone

I'm only on the second stage and i'm already about to just skip 100% of the special stages because they're boring as fuck, they should have at least brought back the Sonic 2 one
There's a lot of new ones.

You can also unlock a new mode with new types of spheres.

Pachimari

Yes.

To clarify, yeah, do all those things. Just enjoy it, play how you want. Seek out secrets, they are there if you want them. Or don't, just blitz to the end. You won't get the best ending if you do, but you'll have fun.

There is a dedicated Time Trial mode for when you want to absolutely break the game and pelt along. (Still not sure how people are doing GHZ A1 in under 30 secs..)

In standard terms you just want to beat the level. Rings are like a bunch of second chances but also contribute to your score which carries the tension of risk the more you get. The levels are multifaceted, with the high road usually being considered the harder/faster route, and exploring what the levels have to offer yields things like power ups, secret paths and bonus stages where you can collect Chaos Emeralds which are like this game's version of the super secret collectible. It's not really about getting to the end of the stage as quickly as possible, but because of the mechanics of the game, it heavily encourages you to go fast and employing the mechanics of speed in order to access additional areas, which is part of the reason why the best Sonic games are built to be just as good for platforming as they are for speedrunning, even if many games sometimes end up prioritizing one over the other. The Genesis games, and Mania, strike the best balance and are more crafty when it comes to this.

2D Sonic games are heavily contingent on rolling. This is going to be your main move throughout the game. When you're faced with slopes and inclines you want to roll in order to build up proper momentum and go even faster than you would if you were running. Rolling also protects you against enemies that may be in your way or destructible obstacles. If you can learn to pull that off well, you'll be able to go fast while also going safe.

The caveat of course with rolling is that you sacrifice control and that you also have to perform it on proper areas, as well as already having inherited momentum, to maintain your speed, or else you'll grind to a halt, so while there is some risk with it, there's more reward when done right and you can trust that rolling is your "safer" state so to speak most of the time.

Mania also helps finally give Sonic a unique incentive of playing by giving him the Drop Dash which is a fantastic ability that can maintain momentum whenever you feel like you need to regain momentum after a jump.

Basically, learn to use the level design as a tool and applying Sonic's pinball-esque physics for going fast.
Very interesting. I will check out this game, and see if I can finally get into Sonic.

every version is the same (might be a bug or two which always happens with multiple versions)

So no incentive to wait for the PC version like 4K support or something?
If no, I'll play it on the PS4 Pro.
PS Store Preorder is still up so I could still snag the digital preorder bonuses.

EDIT:

Or not, looks like I'm too late, so I can take my time now...

Xater

If Sega doesn't greenlight another one of these right about now they are doing it wrong. This game is so good. I did not expect to ever say that about a Sonic game again.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I really, REALLY want a physical version of this game, but there's only digital. :(

Wow this is blasphemy. FUCK Sonic 2's special stages. Blue spheres all fucking day.

Finalizer

So my PC CE from Amazon has no prediction on shipping date. Apparently, I presume the problem is with Sega. Just great. Just fucking great.
lpzlBfR.jpg

PC version was delayed to the 29th, so you won't be getting anything PC version related until then at the earliest.

Top Bottom