• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Mr Swine

Banned
How do the special stages work? I was doing one and had rings and the. Suddenly it ended. I thought the rings needed to be depleted to lose?

Jazzem

Is it better than Sonic CD? I'm not really into Sonic, but CD is my favourite Sonic game.

I'd rather it had modern graphics.

Not to single you out, but what would you want in modern graphics?

For what it's worth, this game has amazing pixel art with some beautifully smooth animation, it's not as much a Mega Drive era title as it may seem at first. It looks far more polished and cohesive than most modern releases for my money

And if you're keen on CD, this game'll definitely remind you of it at points :)

Downloaded on Switch, I just had to pull myself away after running through to the end of flying battery zone in one sitting.
That was so intense I have to go take a daytime nap to recover.

These special stages are actually fun, Dreams Come True it's a miracle!

Robin64

In terms of graphics, I would say this is running on a Saturn. Just so many little things above what the Mega Drive did.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I feel the hype and I want in on it, so this is probably a damn strange question but how do one play a Sonic game the right way?

I've played all from the Sonic 2D games on Gameboy to Sonic Adventure and very quickly dabbled in Sonic Generations but I've never really got it.

Is it about getting through the stage as quick as possible? Kind of like time trial. Is it about collecting the most rings? Is it a mix of both? Is it about getting the greatest scores? Shall one explore and platform ones way through the stages?

I've never really understood the gameplay of Sonic and it frustrates me, especially now with a great new game out.

I always primarily found sticking to the 'highest route' to be the most rewarding and often challenging 'goal' to achieve in levels of the classic games. Doing so often demanded the most practice, speed, and provided the most satisfaction and rewards. Lower routes lead to the same endpoint, but it was always clear that staying near the top of the stage was the skillful approach for a player to yearn to achieve.

The best endings are locked behind chaos emeralds, so the ultimate goal is also to hunt down those secret stages and get all 7 before the final boss. But that is a sort of side objective.

Duffk1ng

Do the spiky undersides of the
magnetic platforms in Flying Battery Zone
kill in one hit? I had 134 rings going, touched one and died instantly.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Do the spiky undersides of the
magnetic platforms in Flying Battery Zone
kill in one hit? I had 134 rings going, touched one and died instantly.
Yes it counts as squash damage
So elemental shields
Super
Star shield
Insta kill

jman2050

I let out a loud audible YES when
Lava Reef
showed up. They had one job and they did it.

Also Special stage 4 is killing me.

What in the world are the last few gonna be like??

alf717

This game is so cool. That CRT filter looks very nice. I still prefer it off but I never seen one like that before. Its the first filter I ever seen that actually looks like a real CRT. Is that filter common when using those crazy multi emulators like retro arch?

Falk

that puzzling face
Anything that squashes you will likely kill you, even when you have invincibility/invincibility frames.

Since Sonic has a standing height of >1 tile but a ball height of <1 tile, this also means you can jump, land on a surface with an opposing ceiling 1 tile away and then die because Sonic uncurls into his standing state, realize there's not enough space and then proceed to get squished. Most noticable with the rotating 4-block stairs in CPZ, even with the original Sonic 2.

Duffk1ng

Yes it counts as squash damage
So elemental shields
Super
Star shield
Insta kill

That's weird. I'd understand it if it was on the way back down but it was still clamped to the ceiling and I accidentally jumped into the bottom of it :/ It was a pretty narrow corridor though.

groansey

Not to single you out, but what would you want in modern graphics?

For what it's worth, this game has amazing pixel art with some beautifully smooth animation, it's not as much a Mega Drive era title as it may seem at first. It looks far more polished and cohesive than most modern releases for my money.

I think for a sequel they could stick with pixel art but maybe double the resolution eg. The Sonic sprite has twice as many pixels. Would be the best of both worlds.still pixellated but much smoother and more detailed.

phanphare

Banned
How do you guys feel about so much of this game being a "remix" and not 100% new content like the previous (real) Sonic games?

only two stages in but I'm absolutely loving the way they set it up

going from act 1 to act 2 in chemical plant zone was amazing

THE CHEMICAL PLANT BOSS IS THE MOST AMAZING THING EVER THANK YOU EVERYONE INVOLVED WHO MADE THIS POSSIBLE

legit started laughing out loud when I got there

How do you guys feel about so much of this game being a "remix" and not 100% new content like the previous (real) Sonic games?

I will say that straight up having the actual act layouts of old games at points is a bit bleh.
But I'm also not eagle eyed enough to figure out if some of these first acts of classic zones are cramming in acts 1 and 2 of their classic equivalents.

13ruce

Banned

I don't care about it, the first stage is nearly the same as original but with new things added in, second stage is completely new and the graphics/backgrounds look way better then the originals too.

It felt like a whole new game tbh.
And the completely new zones are god tier good so are the bosses in this game.

Been playing for many many hours straight (on Switch!), it's so amazing! Everything I had hoped it would be, perfectly embraces the classic Megadrive Sonic spirit. They did an AWESOME job.

Charm coming out the wazoo, this game has it in spades. There is one new level where I was just left gobsmacked at how beautiful it is! :O

And the music, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I love it so much!

The only thing I can't get the hang of is the new special stages, I'm so terrible at them, I've only managed to beat one so far in all the hours I've been playing lol.

Please release this game physically one day Sega. :( I really want it!

Armaly

Just a heads up. If you have tmobile as your carrier you can download the tmobile tuesdays app and get a sonic cd steam key for free.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
who is everyone starting the game as?

i think i might go solo sonic so i dont have to hear tails jump all the time

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I gotta say I'm really not liking the new special stages. Definitely feel worse than 1, 2, 3 and CD.

I did always wish that bonus stages instead transitioned to special 2D obstacle laden courses that tested the players actual skill at maneuvering through the game. Like mini-sonic stages with a single route to overcome. Add a timer to ensure the player must not take it slow, and reach the goal to get the emerald.

I never enjoyed the minigame focus transitions in any of the Sonic games. Felt so jarring that the ultimate collectible was not a fixture of the core game design.

That said I actually don't mind the new UFO stages much. They control so smoothly and ruin well that it's not been a hindrance. The Sonic 3 blue sphere ones I am still not a fan of.

MetalSlug

Finally found one of the special stages in the game(Chaos emerald). Though it has frame-rate problems? Feels very sluggish.

Damn, boss difficulty starts to ramp up, huh. End of
Stardust Speedway
took me a few tries and now the one finishing off
Hydrocity
is too. Feels like more cheap deaths on this one too, while the last was more execution based.

Picked this up on the Russian eshop and boy it's been a long time since I've played Sonic 3. This has been a nostalgia trip for me and I am going to be enjoying this game for weeks.

Top Bottom