• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

RPGamer92

Banned
He should hire Akira Yamaoka to compose music. Even if his game isn't SH/a horror game, his OSTs are always great and would most likely fit the mood of whatever Kojima makes.

The Lamp

I don't understand how Microsoft messed this up. This was the kind of opportunity they needed. Oh well. Suit themselves. Good for Sony for capitalizing on this talent, as they usually do.

Ironic since the announcement was mellow and professional.

Well, this can be quite subjective obviously as my view is a bit different. And I expressed my opinion about it. No offence.
While of course they are not straight out shitting on their competition, it is questionable if the announcement was necessary only half a day after he left Konami.

I mean I obviously struck a nerve for some here, but I just want to express that I am really happy for Kojima (who is my bae) and for PlayStation as a whole to make this deal. Because I would sure as hell not have played that new game on any other platform than PlayStation.

So please you crazy PlayStation maniacs, love me again.

bojie1986

I don`t know if this has been posted already, but it is just amazing! :D

5JLblMV.gif

the handshake and the smiles at the end had me like
dead.png

i doubt phil spencer could've gotten kojima even if they tried as hard as sony did and had twice the money as sony to spend. kojima isn't an idiot; his fanbase is on sony consoles and his games don't sell that great on xbox consoles, even when they have mass appeal.

Seriously doubt Phil even tried. Probably didn't find it a worthy investment. I do hope Kojima does something good for PS fans. MGS V just didn't do it for me.

I don't understand how Microsoft messed this up. This was the kind of opportunity they needed. Oh well. Suit themselves. Good for Sony for capitalizing on this talent, as they usually do.

This stuff is so much about relationships more than anything and Sony has a long established track record with Kojima. I mean he goes out of his way to promote the Playstation version of his games even when they are multi-platform. I would imagine MS went after Kojima as much as they could but that Sony won out with familiarity and because they are the console leader.

Zia

Kojima being tied to the PlayStation brand is a little disappointing, but good for him and I'm excited to see what he cooks up.

Also, lookin' good with that beard.

Seriously doubt Phil even tried. Probably didn't find it a worthy investment. I do hope Kojima does something good for PS fans. MGS V just didn't do it for me.

It's much more likely phil never had the opportunity. Kojima has history with Sony and if he wanted to pick a platform holder to partner with, MS never even had the chance.

So he's basically taking the Respawn route- go indie and get funding from a major publisher. Probably a better route for him than crowdfunding, I suppose.

Not sure anyone could expect someone as talented as him to sit at the bus stop for long.

Realistically, the details had probably been hashed out over the course of the past few months or more, they just legally had to wait until he was officially no longer employed at Konami to actually sign the contract and announce it.

King_Moc

Banned

It being an opportunity for MS doesn't mean it was an opportunity for Kojima. Sony would give him more freedom and actually have consoles sold in Japan.

pastrami

Well, this can be quite subjective obviously as my view is a bit different. And I expressed my opinion about it. No offence.
While of course they are not straight out shitting on their competition, it is questionable if the announcement was necessary only half a day after he left Konami.

I mean I obviously struck a nerve for some here, but I just want to express that I am really happy for Kojima (who is my bae) and for PlayStation as a whole to make this deal. Because I would sure as hell not have played that new game on any other platform than PlayStation.

How long should they have waited? And why should they have waited? Maybe they should have let speculation run rampant instead of announcing their deal as soon as it was done? Not sure to what end though.

It's a good thing that they announced this deal as soon as it was done, and even cleared up the "console exclusive" nonsense.

purg3

slept with Malkin
This announcement was a given. But DAT LOGO. So badass. Really looking forward to something different from Kojima

It's much more likely phil never had the opportunity. Kojima has history with Sony and if he wanted to pick a platform holder to partner with, MS never even had the chance.

Yeah, the majority of people who will be more interested in buying a game from Kojima's name alone are going to be on Playstation. A deal with MS doesn't make nearly as much sense for either party as one with Sony.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

The whirlwind of emotions. Absolute BEDLAM!

Sagroth

I'm very pleased with this. Kojima has a new home to create, Sony gets an exclusive in a few years(and some good PR in the short term), and us gamers get what should be a great game. And Konami...well,, FucKonami.

The Lamp

What makes you think they passed this up?

If Microsoft was smart they would have thrown any amount of money at Kojima to secure a game from him. The fact they didn't secure him like Sony did means they wasted an opportunity and gave their competition an incredibly important exclusive.

It being an opportunity for MS doesn't mean it was an opportunity for Kojima. Sony would give him more freedom and actually have consoles sold in Japan.

Yes, but if MS was smart, they would have worked to overcome that and paid Kojima enough to make up for the losses.

Now it's their loss.

t0rment

what a waste of money, why even pay for something that's not gonna be exclusive? you're just paying so they don't put the game on xbox consoles. hardly anyone will gonna be buying a ps4 2 years from now just to play a kojima game anyway, might as well let he get the funding somewhere else to develop the game for all platforms.

Trago

I'm honestly glad that he's not working on a new Metal Gear title. Been wanting to see something new from him for years. Super excited.

"Console exclusive"(stupid stupid term) is expected. Considering that this is a new game with a newly formed studio, the guy's gonna need funding. Good on Sony for partnering with him to make this all happen. At this point, as much as this bullshit annoys me, these pseudo exclusive deals aren't going away. It's business I guess and it's proven to be working out for Sony at least. I can't imagine what would happen if Microsoft or Nintendo snatched him up, and how they'd work out such a deal. I guess it would be different.

More excited for Quiet Mountains.

I've played so much MGSV I'm pretty tired of Quiet's mountains at this point

what a waste of money, why even pay for something that's not gonna be exclusive? you're just paying so they don't put the game on xbox consoles. hardly anyone will gonna be buying a ps4 2 years from now just to play a kojima game anyway, might as well let he get the funding somewhere else to develop the game for all platforms.

It's clear you have no idea how this agreement worked out but ok

kurahador

If Microsoft was smart they would have thrown any amount of money at Kojima to secure a game from him. The fact they didn't secure him like Sony did means they wasted an opportunity and gave their competition an incredibly important exclusive.

MS already got Inafune, they don't need Kojima.

I'm honestly glad that he's not working on a new Metal Gear title. Been wanting to see something new from him for years. Super excited.

"Console exclusive"(stupid stupid term) is expected. Considering that this is a new game with a newly formed studio, the guy's gonna need funding. Good on Sony for partnering with him to make this all happen. At this point, as much as this bullshit annoys me, these pseudo exclusive deals aren't going away. It's business I guess and it's proven to be working out for Sony at least. I can't imagine what would happen if Microsoft or Nintendo snatched him up, and how they'd work out such a deal. I guess it would be different.
what exactly is stupid about the term? The game is coming to one console, and PC? What else does the phrase imply?

GlamFM

Banned

I seriously doubt he would have gotten the cash he needed from anybody but Sony or Microsoft.

Good move for Sony.

xewind

What a wonderful and exciting news to wake up to. Happy to see Kojima no longer tied to Konami. Looking forward to this new IP.

And that KP logo... So awesome.

artsi

This stuff is so much about relationships more than anything and Sony has a long established track record with Kojima. I mean he goes out of his way to promote the Playstation version of his games even when they are multi-platform. I would imagine MS went after Kojima as much as they could but that Sony won out with familiarity and because they are the console leader.

Yeah, and for Japanese Sony is much more, their brand is strong there and appears in so many entertainment products.
Microsoft is mostly something that pops up on the work computer screen when you boot it up, it's not fun and games.

Kojima of course is more aware than the average consumer, but it might still have an impact in his decision.

Top Bottom