• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Luke_Wal

I'm probably in the minority here, but I didn't know that Andrew House speaks Japanese! He seems to speak it really well, also - I'm surprised we've never seen him translate or anything.

This is a very interesting deal, perhaps most interesting to me because of the presence of the PC. I don't understand what Sony's doing there, but it fascinates me.

Also, how on Earth is that guy getting away with just calling it Kojima Productions again? You would think Konami would've locked that one up.

what exactly is stupid about the term? The game is coming to one console, and PC? What else does the phrase imply?

I love this idea that "console exclusive" is some intentionally misleading bullshit term when it is absolutely the easiest way to describe the nature of the release of these games lol

Hoo-doo

Banned
Seriously doubt Phil even tried. Probably didn't find it a worthy investment. I do hope Kojima does something good for PS fans. MGS V just didn't do it for me.

Kojima is one of the most popular and recognisable developers in the industry. How is it not a worthy investment for any platform?

Likely the exclusivity costs would have to have been absolutely astronomical for KojiPro to strike a deal with Microsoft, seeing as MS is really only relevant in the US, them really not holding much marketshare and a dozen other factors that work against them.

If there even has been any talk between the two, Phil wouldn't have been in any position to make demands because realistically, what do they have to offer.

Busty

Banned
what a waste of money, why even pay for something that's not gonna be exclusive? you're just paying so they don't put the game on xbox consoles. hardly anyone will gonna be buying a ps4 2 years from now just to play a kojima game anyway, might as well let he get the funding somewhere else to develop the game for all platforms.

giphy.gif

It's multiplatform, period.
-_- I'm really starting to think PC players have an inferiority complex.

PS, Xbox, Nintendo is in the CONSOLE business. Do you know how many people never even attempt to do any gaming whatsoever on their PC's.

"Console exclusive" is talking to a specific audience. There is nothing stupid about the term.

GlamFM

Banned
I'm probably in the minority here, but I didn't know that Andrew House speaks Japanese!

Same.

And I just realized how much I like the guys in charge at Sony.

House, Boyes, shuhei - all amazing guys, even shawn layden has gotten kind of cool.

stryke

If Microsoft was smart they would have thrown any amount of money at Kojima to secure a game from him. The fact they didn't secure him like Sony did means they wasted an opportunity and gave their competition an incredibly important exclusive.

Yes, but if MS was smart, they would have worked to overcome that and paid Kojima enough to make up for the losses.

Now it's their loss.

Throwing "any amount of money" at anyone is not smart.

If Microsoft was smart they would have thrown any amount of money at Kojima to secure a game from him. The fact they didn't secure him like Sony did means they wasted an opportunity and gave their competition an incredibly important exclusive.

Yes, but if MS was smart, they would have worked to overcome that and paid Kojima enough to make up for the losses.

Now it's their loss.

It's nowhere near simple as you're making it out to be. Even if they tried, there's no guarantee they would have got it over Sony. I don't know how anyone can neg Microsoft for not securing this deal. That's just not how they work.

Finaj

Well, I'm glad it's probably coming to PC as I didn't want to have to buy a PS4 to play it.

Unless it's a horror game, then I won't touch it period.

Joey Ravn

Banned

PS, Xbox, Nintendo is in the CONSOLE business. Do you know how many people never even attempt to do any gaming whatsoever on their PC's.

"Console exclusive" is talking to a specific audience. There is nothing stupid about the term.

Wait. Didn't we have a superiority complex? Weren't we elitists? You should make up your mind about how you define us.

Really cool announcement, killer logo, killer memes, hopefully killer game, killer direction for PS4 in general this year.

In summation: Fuck Yeah & Fuck Konami.

You're just figuring this out lol?

RdN

Well, this is completely expected.

Anyone who didn't foresaw Sony to full on court Kojima with support + money in exchange for exclusivity and he accepting it is a fool.

Nouzka

Does some people really think Microsoft has some kind of infinite money bag in game department, and can just buy any gaming studio etc. if they just wanted? Reminds me of start of this generation when some people thought Fallout, Fifa, Mass Effect and other games would be Xbox exclusives just because Microsoft has the money to buy them lol.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Same.

And I just realized how much I like the guys in charge at Sony.

House, Boyes, shuhei - all amazing guys, even shawn layden has gotten kind of cool.

It's beards.

Layden grew a beard and he went from looking like the floor manager at Staples to looking like an approachable and friendly uncle.

It's no J-Tret, but then again, who is.

Now it's their loss.
Why would Kojima work with MS when most of his audience is at Sony and he has a long relationship with them? That doesn't make sense. lol at thinking MS and all the biggest 3rd party publishers didn't try to sign him up. The denial force is strong with some of you.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Now it's their loss.

Or maybe Kojima went with the brand he feels closer with, even if a competitor like Microsoft had offered more money. His games will naturally sell more on PlayStation consoles, anyway, so long term, to strike up a deal with Microsoft, it might not be such a good move.

So, credits time : Adam Boyes says that Brad Douglas (Sony TPP) must be credited for this deal, and Brad Douglas says it wouldn't have been possible without MGS producer Ken-ichiro Imaizumi.

So Ken must've been the contact "man-in-the-middle" so both parties could send feelers out without crossing the legal line of tortious interference -- a necessary thing for getting the deal done so quickly when Kojima's contract drop dead date came up.

Trago

Of course they'll use the term because it sounds better for their player base. Multiplatform doesn't sound as good. I think the term is stupid because we started seeing it last generation with the tons of 360/PC games that were being released. So much so that Microsoft would label the boxes as "Only on Xbox", which is factually incorrect. It's very stupid.

GlamFM

Banned
Does some people really think Microsoft has some kind of infinite money bag in game department, and can just buy any gaming studio etc. if they just wanted? Reminds me of start of this generation when some people thought Fallout, Fifa, Mass Effect and other games would be Xbox exclusives just because Microsoft has the money to buy them lol.

Well..... of course they could if they wanted - what´s your point exactly?

hawk2025

Of course they'll use the term because it sounds better for their player base. Multiplatform doesn't sound as good. I think the term is stupid because we started seeing it last generation with the tons of 360/PC games that were being released. So much so that Microsoft would label the boxes as "Only on Xbox", which is factually incorrect. It's very stupid.

Oh my God, let it go.

Wait. Didn't we have a superiority complex? Weren't we elitists? You should make up your mind about how you define us.
Elitist would be the ones poking their noise in ever DF thread ;-) I see many posters who genuinely have issues when PC is not mentioned or think "console exclusive" is stupid when it's a very clear term.

PC is literally the backbone of the industry, where everything gets developed. Why does it have to be mentioned when these companies are talking largely to their target audience who game exclusively on consoles?

packy34

That still doesn't make it any less multiplatform, sir. Just because you and whatever anecdotal amount of people you imagine "never even attempt to do my gaming whatsoever on their PCs" think it does, it just doesn't. PC is a legitimate and strong platform with a vibrant and ever-expanding userbase.

well, let's just agree to disagree. It wasn't stupid when MS did it, it's not stupid now. PR for PS, Xbox, are generally not addressing gamers who play on their home Personal Computers.

Eidan

That still doesn't make it any less multiplatform, sir. Just because you and whatever anecdotal amount of people you imagine "never even attempt to do my gaming whatsoever on their PCs" think it does, it just doesn't. PC is a legitimate and strong platform with a vibrant and ever-expanding userbase.
This is getting sad.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Yes. That is kind of stupid. And it would be stupid if Sony marketed this game as 'Exclusively on PS4' as well.

But that doesn't make the term 'console exclusive' any less relevant or useful in practice.
Multiplatform simply means it has no restrictions in terms of platform. If the developers/publishers feel up to the task they could port it to N-Gage if they wanted.

Console exclusive is something else. It's coming out on the Playstation platform and the PC.
The PC is regarded as it's own thing and I don't think there's all much overlap in terms of markets. Hence why the term works.

Gamezone

Gold Member
First Shenmue, now this. I don`t own a PS4, but I guess I have to buy one soon. Why can`t Microsoft secure deals like these?

Nouzka

I wonder if anything can be gleaned from the logo about the next game, considering Koji pro had the Fox hound logo...

I was thinking the same thing. Kojima already commented about the logo being like a medieval knight and space suit, maybe some kind of combination of sci-fi/horror/mecha or Zone Of The Enders + Silent Hill.

Montresor

Maybe this is not rational thinking but I'm starting to regret the thousands of dollars and hours I've invested in 360 and XB1 over the last 8 years. If I went PS3 last gen I would've gotten PS4 on day one instead of being stuck in my current predicament, with a lengthy gold subscription, a shit-ton of achievements and a big Xbox backlog. Makes it a little more difficult to just outright switch sides.

I'm excited for Quantum Break and Scalebound but it feels like there are a million games announced every month which are console exclusive to PS4.

I honestly am thinking of immediately halting buying any multiplat games on XB1 moving forward. Will keep the XB1 for exclusives but slowly switch to PS4. I should get myself the Uncharted bundle. Gone Home is finally coming to consoles next month - I'm thinking I'll get that on PS4 when normally that would be an automatic day one XB1 purchase for me.

But they are only in the console business, and only talking to people who have their console. In fact, "console exclusive" is a term that likely was formed to indicate the game can also be played on PC, just not the competitor's "console".

i'm not arguing about the definition of multi-platform. I'm arguing that it makes sense to use the phrasing "Console exclusive". There is nothing confusing about it.

First Shenmue, now this. I don`t own a PS4, but I guess I have to buy one soon. Why can`t Microsoft secure deals like these?

Microsoft doesnt have clout with Japanese game developers, that's why. When a Japanese visionary like Kojima or Suzuki wants to create their dream project or be given absolute freedom, they're not going to sign some exclusive arrangement with Xbox.

matmanx1

Well, that didn't take long, did it? Announced literally the day after his employment with Konami was officially over. There must have been some super secret talks going on for quite a while behind the scenes.

I look forward to whatever he does next. I just hope it ends up being a completed project unlike MGS V.

Top Bottom