• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

That still doesn't make it any less multiplatform, sir. Just because you and whatever anecdotal amount of people you imagine "never even attempt to do my gaming whatsoever on their PCs" think it does, it just doesn't. PC is a legitimate and strong platform with a vibrant and ever-expanding userbase.
No one is arguing it's not multiplat, which is why it's called "console exclusive". Some people don't give two shits about PC gaming and this game will be PS4 exclusive for them. Not that hard to understand.

Markoman

what a waste of money, why even pay for something that's not gonna be exclusive? you're just paying so they don't put the game on xbox consoles. hardly anyone will gonna be buying a ps4 2 years from now just to play a kojima game anyway, might as well let he get the funding somewhere else to develop the game for all platforms.

Not sure if serious? Tell that to all the TR fans and idiots who signed the timed exclusivity deal. Of all deals in recent years, this one makes absolutely sense for EVERYONE involved:
1. Sony on top of the game drafting the MVP game designer
2. Kojima going with the winner
3. Playstation owners being the core target audience for Kojima's games anyway

Let's say the game is ready in 2017-2018 - we will be looking at minimum 60 mio Playstation users vs 30 mio Xbox users at best. Why should a Japanese game designer choose MS???

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Maybe this is not rational thinking but I'm starting to regret the thousands of dollars and hours I've invested in 360 and XB1 over the last 8 years. If I went PS3 last gen I would've gotten PS4 on day one.

I'm excited for Quantum Break and Scalebound but it feels like there are a million games announced every month which are console exclusive to PS4.

I honestly am thinking of immediately halting buying any multiplat gamed on XB1 moving forward. Will keep the XB1 for exclusives but slowly switch to PS4. I should get myself the Uncharted bundle. Gone Home is finally coming to consoles next month - I'm thinking I'll get that on PS4 when normally that would be ab automatic day one XB1 purchase for me.
It's not so irrational to keep your XB and just get the bevy of amazing console exclusives and Japanese games the PS4 is securing. 2016 will be a seminal year for PS4 as well.

The superior multiplatform games are just icing.

Vinland

Banned
The production cycle wait is real! I wonder if they are going to liscense an engine or make another from scratch. I'd personally be down with them using unity or ue4 to make a nice Indy esque game to get some money in the bank.

LaneDS

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/677047694406250496

CWVbSAmUYAEb1_d.jpg:large

Searched the thread for Shinkawa, found this. Thanks! Great news.

Finaj

First Shenmue, now this. I don`t own a PS4, but I guess I have to buy one soon. Why can`t Microsoft secure deals like these?

Because Xbox just isn't big with the Japanese. Even when MS went big with a bunch of JRPG's in the 360 era, it didn't do much to help. The console has basically been locked out of Japan since its inception.

Trago

Elitist would be the ones poking their noise in ever DF thread ;-) I see many posters who genuinely have issues when PC is not mentioned or think "console exclusive" is stupid when it's a very clear term.

PC is literally the backbone of the industry, where everything gets developed. Why does it have to be mentioned when these companies are talking largely to their target audience who game exclusively on consoles?

Oh I don't know, because there's an audience on the platform as well? Again, I understand why they use the very stupid term. Business is business after all.

No one is arguing it's not multiplat, which is why it's called "console exclusive". That's literally what the term means, it's not fully exclusive but if you don't play on PC then PS4 is the only place you'll be able to get this game.

Sheesh... it's like I'm talking to brick walls? And you wonder why jokes about PC's players having complexes keep coming up?

Remeard

I love it, House must have been waiting outside his office with the contract printed and signed. In less than 24 hours of leaving Konami, Kojima has his own independent studio with a contract with the world's largest console manufacturer. I'm glad Kojima is finally unrestricted as an artist.

Nouzka

Well..... of course they could if they wanted - what´s your point exactly?

So only money matters in these things? Not the fact the studio is Japanese, so Kojima would likely partner with them, and also PS4 being the clear market leader and his previous history making games exclusively to Sony's hardware.

Maybe this is not rational thinking but I'm starting to regret the thousands of dollars and hours I've invested in 360 and XB1 over the last 8 years. If I went PS3 last gen I would've gotten PS4 on day one instead of being stuck in my current predicament, with a lengthy gold subscription, a shit-ton of achievements and a big Xbox backlog. Ugh.

I'm excited for Quantum Break and Scalebound but it feels like there are a million games announced every month which are console exclusive to PS4.

I honestly am thinking of immediately halting buying any multiplat games on XB1 moving forward. Will keep the XB1 for exclusives but slowly switch to PS4. I should get myself the Uncharted bundle. Gone Home is finally coming to consoles next month - I'm thinking I'll get that on PS4 when normally that would be ab automatic day one XB1 purchase for me.
Skip Uncharted 1 if you do that and take a 2 week break after you finish 2 before jumping into 3.

Oh I don't know, because there's an audience on the platform as well? Again, I understand why they use the very stupid term. Business is business after all.
Well that sounds like a personal issue mate. As a black guy, I'd say, you should get used to not always being addressed specifically in the media '-)

Cheers!

Maybe this is not rational thinking but I'm starting to regret the thousands of dollars and hours I've invested in 360 and XB1 over the last 8 years. If I went PS3 last gen I would've gotten PS4 on day one instead of being stuck in my current predicament, with a lengthy gold subscription, a shit-ton of achievements and a big Xbox backlog. Makes it a little more difficult to just outright switch sides.

I honestly am thinking of immediately halting buying any multiplat games on XB1 moving forward. Will keep the XB1 for exclusives but slowly switch to PS4. I should get myself the Uncharted bundle. Gone Home is finally coming to consoles next month - I'm thinking I'll get that on PS4 when normally that would be an automatic day one XB1 purchase for me.

Why? You have played some great games with the Xbox platform. Having an X1 + PS4 is a pretty fantastic combo. No regrets needed bro.

Momentary

Banned
Did they state that it would be coming to PC as well? I can't seem to find a quote and there is too much bickering for me to wade through posts.

Of course they'll use the term because it sounds better for their player base. Multiplatform doesn't sound as good. I think the term is stupid because we started seeing it last generation with the tons of 360/PC games that were being released. So much so that Microsoft would label the boxes as "Only on Xbox", which is factually incorrect. It's very stupid.
So which tells you more, console exclusive or multiplatform? One tells you fuck all about where you won't be able to buy the game and the other is perfectly clear.

It has less to do with not caring about PC and more about clearly representing a game's release platforms, albeit in a manner that works best for the corporation. Imagine if instead they said something like "for consoles, exclusively for PS4."

DeviantBoi

Because Xbox just isn't big with the Japanese. Even when MS went big with a bunch of JRPG's in the 360 era, it didn't do much to help. The console has basically been locked out of Japan since its inception.

That's what happens when you choose "Project Midway" as the code name for the original XBox.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Microsoft doesnt have clout with Japanese game developers, that's why. When a Japanese visionary like Kojima or Suzuki wants to create their dream project or be given absolute freedom, they're not going to sign some exclusive arrangement with Xbox.

It's partially that - one can't ignore the apparent ease with which Sony is signing Japanese deals - but I think Sony's market share position has a lot to do with it too. 2:1, basically, in the marketplace greases the wheels on deals like this, certainly makes them cheaper and easier for Sony to execute, and commensurately harder for MS to seal. Sony is in a much better position to sign deals this gen than either MS or Sony was last gen. I guess people should bear that in mind when questioning if MS is sleeping on stuff like this - they probably aren't, but the market is making their job more difficult.

A longer term 50:50 marketplace stalemate was assumed, and with it, the assumption of the death of the 'third party exclusive'. It was difficult to foresee any other outcome coming out of the end of last gen, but I guess that was a premature proclamation. This isn't quite PS2 levels of content dominance, but a collection of notable names is accumulating.

Anyway, it is pleasing to see people are still on the ball at SCE, still hungry. In like Flynn on this one. I don't think Andrew House wants a repeat of the days where the SCE head was 'unavailable' to take calls from publishers on content deals (ala pre-PS3 days, apparently).

le.phat

what a waste of money, why even pay for something that's not gonna be exclusive? you're just paying so they don't put the game on xbox consoles. hardly anyone will gonna be buying a ps4 2 years from now just to play a kojima game anyway, might as well let he get the funding somewhere else to develop the game for all platforms.

It's a new studio so they can use all the funding they can get. So what if Sony is picking up the tab ? They always had an intimate relationship, would you rather have EA as the publisher for this game ?

If Microsoft was smart they would have thrown any amount of money at Kojima to secure a game from him. The fact they didn't secure him like Sony did means they wasted an opportunity and gave their competition an incredibly important exclusive.

Yes, but if MS was smart, they would have worked to overcome that and paid Kojima enough to make up for the losses.

Now it's their loss.

Sometimes relationships > bags of money.

LifEndz

Maybe this is not rational thinking but I'm starting to regret the thousands of dollars and hours I've invested in 360 and XB1 over the last 8 years. If I went PS3 last gen I would've gotten PS4 on day one instead of being stuck in my current predicament, with a lengthy gold subscription, a shit-ton of achievements and a big Xbox backlog. Makes it a little more difficult to just outright switch sides.

I honestly am thinking of immediately halting buying any multiplat games on XB1 moving forward. Will keep the XB1 for exclusives but slowly switch to PS4. I should get myself the Uncharted bundle. Gone Home is finally coming to consoles next month - I'm thinking I'll get that on PS4 when normally that would be an automatic day one XB1 purchase for me.

You're regretting money and time spent on games you enjoyed because of announcements about games that aren't out yet? Sounds like you're getting a PS4 soon anyway. Consider yourself fortunate enough to own both. No need to regret the fun you had with Xbox.

t0rment

Not sure if serious? Tell that to all the TR fans and idiots who signed the timed exclusivity deal. Of all deals in recent years, this one makes absolutely sense for EVERYONE involved:
1. Sony on top of the game drafting the MVP game designer
2. Kojima going with the winner
3. Playstation owners being the core target audience for Kojima's games anyway

Let's say the game is ready in 2017-2018 - we will be looking at minimum 60 mio Playstation users vs 30 mio Xbox users at best. Why should a Japanese game designer choose MS???

i didn't say he had to choose MS, but if it was a competition between sony and ms i guess it's fine. i dont think he'd have a problem getting a funding from somewhere else, he could have a kick starter and people would be throwing money at him.

GlamFM

Banned
So only money matters in these things? Not the fact the studio is Japanese, so Kojima would likely partner with them, and also PS4 being the clear market leader and his previous history making games exclusively to Sony's hardware.

Yes, everybody has a price. If he would have gotten the same conditions somewhere else, but twice the money, we would be looking at a sad Andrew on Youtube right now.

I read the first 5 pages and it was just hype lines. skipped to 10, then 15 and been reading since 20. Not sure what I missed.

People were insecure by the PC posts by tagging them as 'port begging'.
People won't believe 'console exclusive' means coming to PC as well (at the same time or later) unless it's announced.

Just enjoy both platforms? You've still had great experiences on your Xbox and will continue to have more in the future I'm sure. Likewise, start to invest in the PlayStation ecosystem and you'll have great fun there, too.

No need for regrets -- it's just video games. Have fun! :)

Roshin

Maybe this is not rational thinking but I'm starting to regret the thousands of dollars and hours I've invested in 360 and XB1 over the last 8 years.

I assume you've had a good time during those years, so it's not like it's wasted. Get a PS4 if you want it. A lot of people here own more than one console.

i didn't say he had to choose MS, but if it was a competition between sony and ms i guess it's fine. i dont think he'd have a problem getting a funding from somewhere else, he could have a kick starter and people would be throwing money at him.

If Kojima can't get a major publisher like Konami to keep paying for his projects that are constantly delayed and over-budget, he would not get anywhere with a Kickstarter peoject.

Looks like we have many years of Kojima games ahead of us! I'm so excited for something new from Kojima. He must have all these ideas he's been brainstorming for years.

People were insecure by the PC posts by tagging them as 'port begging'.
People won't believe 'console exclusive' means coming to PC as well (at the same time or later) unless it's announced.
Oh...gotcha, so I guess the complex goes both ways -__-

What a weird space GAF is sometimes lol.

Back on topic, this is a great morning, just made my day! Kojima back in the saddle. Lovely way to close out the year.

FF7R
FF7R Gameplay
TLG
Shenmue 3

year of Dreams continue indeed!

Yeah, those kickstarters really are known for providing AAA-level budgets. :/

Kojima looked for funding for his game. He found it.

Top Bottom