• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Glad to hear he is no longer with Konami. And finally a new ip, so im excited. Loved their work with MGSV on the PC so will get whatever he is making for PC as well.

Mahonay

Banned
having to build a new studio from scratch, it feels like the next kojima game is so far away that it's questionable whether it'll even be a ps4 game. not like konami is just going to hand over the fox engine too. platinum games for example took till 2009 to release bayonetta after founding seeds in 2006 and kojima makes games much less efficiently than them traditionally. especially now he likes open world stuff, that's a big time commitment.

on the flipside it's nice that he's finally freed from a nearly thirty year old mythos and design expectations.
They could very well just use UE4 as the engine. With that pipeline you'd likely see a Kojima game in a far shorter time than in the past, although it could probably still be a while considering his perchant to put every single little idea he has into a game.

icespide

Banned
Not surprised that Sony-GAF is cheering that The One is missing out on this game.

I've noticed an interesting trend with Kojima's games and gaf. Take a look at the following list of all games made by him:

Metal Gear Solid - Playstation exclusive - loved by gaf
Metal Gear Solid 2 - Available on Xbox and PC aside from Playstation - Hated by gaf
Metal Gear Solid 3 - Playstation exclusive - loved by gaf
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Playstation exclusive - won GOTY twice
Metal Gear Solid V - Available on Xbox and PC aside from Playstation - Hated by gaf
New Kojima game - Playstation exclusive - eagerly anticipated by gaf.

I wonder how many so called "fans" really care about this game for its own sake..

damn I almost fell for this

Diffense

This seems like a good fit given the history of his recent games on Sony platforms. The whole Konami fiasco is still very bizarre though.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
SFV X-play w/Ps4&PC
Paragon X-play w/PS4&PC
FF14 X-play w/PS4&PC
Shenmue PS4/PC
Dragon Quest Heroes PS4/PC
Helldivers PS4/PC

Anyone notice a trend here? Lol as Y2Kev eloquently put, this is a nice strategy from Sony. Along with the stronger Indy support and rekindling the flame in Japan, (Unreal Engine putting in work) Ps4 is turning into a fantastic platform. Dragon Quest coming back to AAA console development, SE getting back on track with a huge outlook for 2016. With this news today, really seems like Ps4 has its best years ahead of it.

Non of those games are 1st party though. You'll never see Sony release a 1st party game on PC. All those are 3rd party games.

Yeah trophies and gamer tag will keep you locked in, but there's no harm in jumping in now, and just playing all the PS games you missed. Just get ps4 for the exclusives and keep gaming on your platform of choice. Its just a momentum shift, usually happens every Gen in some form or another.

That's what I did last gen. I got a PS3 around 2009-2010, and it was fucking glorious just plowing through those exclusives I missed. Doing the same thing this gen. Got my Xbox already, and it looks like Sony might force my hand earlier this time.

Wabba

Really happy for Kojima. Playstation + Kojima is just the perfect match. Didn't like MGSV, just because i prefer the more narrow style that he had in terms of storytelling, but you have to resepect this guy. The game was amazing in terms of story
Even if the ending was missing
, and i dont think i have played a better TPS in terms of movement.

Just hope he goes bat shit insane with this game, i want tension like P.T, story like MGS3 and memorable boss fights and characters that he is so famous for.

Lightning

Banned
Non of those games are 1st party though. You'll never see Sony release a 1st party game on PC. All those are 3rd party games.
Sony could have blocked most of them from appearing on pc if they wanted to push that envelope though. It's just they are not going to develop for pc themselves, not that they have an issue with pc versions of games being included in deals with 3rd parties.

For me I don't really care. As long as there's a ps4 version for most games so I can play them I don't care what other platforms any game appears on.

Shenmue

Banned
What's been common are pub fund or partially funded timed/console exclusives. Helldivers was unprecedented as an actual SCE game on PC. It seems like this will be the same thing.

The question is, why is Sony doing this? PlayStation is as big and as profitable as ever, so it doesn't seem necessary. Interesting move.

Super smart actually.

1) the PC multiplat is far more palatable to 3rd parties and Sony won't mind the money it brings in.

2) obviously their market research tells them the pc and ps4 market don't compete that much so no significant lost sales for ps4. It's not like Sony is desperate for "true" exclusives in order for their console to sell anyway.

3) PC fans will love instead of hate Sony for not leaving them out.

4) xbox fans might be pissed off but many of them probably disliked ps4 and Sony anyway so no love lost. And these would only be the xbox fans that don't own a pc or ps4 as well, because if they did own either there's no reason to be mad.

Mahonay

Banned
Sony 3rd party relations team's members sure have lots of buddy in industry. Adam Boyes is roommate with the head of Disney Interactive too right?
Yep. John Vignochhi. They've both been friends well before they both had their sudden rise to the top. There's videos from 2008-2009 on Giant Bomb of those guys being absurd human train wrecks.

injurai

Banned
Man imagine what Kojima can do with a new IP. His gameplay is as strong as ever, but now he can craft an entirely new world, story, and characters.

1) the PC multiplat is far more palatable to 3rd parties and Sony won't mind the money it brings in.

2) obviously their market research tells them the pc and ps4 market don't compete that much so no significant lost sales for ps4. It's not like Sony is desperate for "true" exclusives in order for their console to sell anyway.

Yeah, I wonder if they would ever comment on that. SFV, all those PS4 "exclusive" titles, etc. show they do not view the PC as some sort of competition really.

Given Kojima had a logo, a hiring plan, and Sony partnership ready to go the second his split with Konami was officially I'd imagine whatever this project is the pre-production is done or mostly done.

Teaser - E3 2016
Official Reveal - TGS or PSX 2016
Release Window - Holiday 2017 to Q2 2018

Any work he did before December 15th while he was under contract with Konami would belong to them. They are really starting from zero.

salromano

owBhIr5.jpg

Super smart actually.

4) xbox fans might be pissed off but many of them probably disliked ps4 and Sony anyway so no love lost.
I think Sony will limit this trend to second/third party deals for now. I doubt we'll see anything from Naughty Dog or Santa Monica anytime soon.

Servbot24

Banned
this is amazing news now Kojima will have all the time in the world to work on his games and the first game should be ready just in time for the launch of the ps6! i kid..... the ps5!
Sony isn't going to enjoy throwing money into the wind any more than Konami did.

I think Sony will limit this trend to second/third party deals for now. I doubt we'll see anything from Naughty Dog or Santa Monica anytime soon.

This is what I'm thinking aswell. We will see more third party games that are funded/owned/published by Sony releasing on PC while remaining console exclusive on Playstation.

Games from Sony's own WWS studios will remain fully exclusive. I can totally see this happening.

Two Words

Missing the point.

I think that's speculation. They must have known the conditions of his contract beforehand.

Fair point. It's not the announcement itself that I criticise, but more like the way how they announced that.

Also missing the point.

You really need to chill, man. It's just my opinion yo.

lol. Criticizing them making a big deal about this.

Zyrox

I completely missed this yesterday due to all the Smash Bros. craze.
First off, wow that was fast haha. House probably readied the paperwork as soon as the news about Kojima and Konami broke.
Second, I like that he's keeping the KojiPro name. Also, that's an amazing logo.
And lastly, that beard. He's truly Punished Kojima now.

Top Bottom