• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Sky Saw

Banned
Eh...

Ok.

You're no fun.

YOU'RE_WINNER_trophy.jpg

YES

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
lol, the gif became top post on reddit.

Yeah, I also had to disable Twitter notifications on my devices, because the tweet I made with the gif got retweeted so often.

I don't even think that it's particularly funny apart from House's goofy face at the end. lol

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Yeah, I also had to disable Twitter notifications on my devices, because the tweet I made with the gif got retweeted so often.

I don't even think that it's particularly funny apart from House's goofy face at the end. lol

House's face at the end is what makes it even more hilarious with the Fuck Konami caption.

DFox

cQsHQzw.png

tumblr_mw09odTfay1sui313o1_500.gif

Well this was last announcement for 2015. Sony won 2015.

The only way for Phil Spencer directly counter this would be to buy the rights for Metal Gear Solid. If they want to go a step further they should acquired Konami's gaming division and reboot Castlevania (From Software), Contra (Gearbox Software), Metal Gear Solid (Avalanche Studios) and Silent Hills (Frictional Games).

Falchion

So excited to see what they turn out. Also I didn't realize the studio was named Kojima Productions. Pretty cool since stripping his name off much of the MGS V promotional materials was such a big issue.

Nevadatan

theres something that have been bugging me since today's morning... does Kojima have the rights to Policenauts or Snatcher?
i would love to see a new work related to these two.

bummer, i would love a new work on the lines of these two tho

Well, there really isn't anything stopping him from doing it if he wants to. Snatcher and Policenauts are standalone experiences. Although Policenauts does have some references to Snatcher. So he could make a new adventure/visual novel game if he wanted to. But it's certainly a possibility now. He can't work on Metal Gear anymore, so he has to do something new. Which is something he's been saying he wanted to do since completing MGS2.

NotMyPsn

Banned
Come to think about it, it kinda makes sense now that Konami removed all mentions of kojima and kojipro from MGS V. Maybe that was part of the deal so that Hideo could keep the studio name.

Jaeger

Nothing keeps Kojima from referencing the hell out of any previous game he made and it serving as an unofficial prequel/sequel or anything like that. People do it all the time in other media.

injurai

Banned
Nothing keeps Kojima from referencing the hell out of any previous game he made and it serving as an unofficial prequel/sequel or anything like that. People do it all the time in other media.

He's been wanting to make a new IP for a long time. MGS was his ticket though to increase his production scale and move up in the ranks so he bent MGS to be what he wanted to work on. But I really think he will be pulling something from leftfield for this new project.

It will be a long time before we see anything from this. He doesn't really have any staff and he doesn't even have a engine to work with. I bet this slips to the PS5.

Jaeger

He's been wanting to make a new IP for a long time. MGS was his ticket though to increase his production scale and move up in the ranks so he bent MGS to be what he wanted to work on. But I really think he will be pulling something from leftfield for this new project.

Absolutely. I hope he does. Just commenting on how licensing doesn't keep him from making spiritual successors.

So you can't see Sony helping him out?

I'm sure they will but if we assume he develops something of the scope of MGS 5, you have to assume we are 3 to 4 years away even if production started today. Sony and Microsoft have indicated they want a short gen. It is entirely plausible this slips to the PS5.

I look forward to Zone of the Metal Gear in 2020.

injurai

Banned
Absolutely. I hope he does. Just commenting on how licensing doesn't keep him from making spiritual successors.

Certainly. Between him and Shinkawa, they'll retain a certain aesthetic and tonal element. Which is what I'm really excited to see.

I'm sure they will but if we assume he develops something of the scope of MGS 5, you have to assume we are 3 to 4 years away even if production started today. Sony and Microsoft have indicated they want a short gen. It is entirely plausible this slips to the PS5.

I look forward to Zone of the Metal Gear in 2020.
I would imagine he has a clear idea of what he wants since he's been wanting to make new IPs for a long time. Sony will help them with settling in and engine wise they will either get help from Sony or get UE4. Still, he always takes a long time to make games. Q4 2018 to 2019 for release is what I expect.

F4r0_Atak

Insomniac
Ready at Dawn
Quantic Dream
Ninja Theory
thatgamecompany
TheChineseRoom
Arrowhead

I somehow think Kojima Productions will remain independent.

I may not speak for the other studios, since I don't know much of their relationship with them (except for Insomniac Games).... but Quantic Dream were actually open about being acquired by SCE and put under their WWS. With SCE's Scott Rhode saying something like they are thinking about acquiring new studios and expanding their current ones... anything could happen.

I would imagine he has a clear idea of what he wants since he's been wanting to make new IPs for a long time. Sony will help them with settling in and engine wise they will either get help from Sony or get UE4. Still, he always takes a long time to make games. Q4 2018 to 2019 for release is what I expect.

Two years from now (Q4 2018) would be wildly optimistic. We are just a few weeks from being in 2016 as it stands and he doesn't even have a team in place.

Come to think about it, it kinda makes sense now that Konami removed all mentions of kojima and kojipro from MGS V. Maybe that was part of the deal so that Hideo could keep the studio name.
My thoughts exactly. It's not like they could register Kojima's last name but still. It makes sense now.

Mivey

I'd like a JRPG by Kojima, would be interesting to see what he does with a totally different genre.
Beat FF XIII's ratio of cutscene to gameplay? He is the man to do it.
No really, I hope it is something wacky, with totally ridicilous cutscenes and functional if short gameplay. Basically, I want him to make MGS3 in spirit.

injurai

Banned
I may not speak for the other studios, since I don't know much of their relationship with them (except for Insomniac Games).... but Quantic Dream were actually open about being acquired by SCE and put under their WWS. With SCE's Scott Rhode saying something like they are thinking about acquiring new studios and expanding their current ones... anything could happen.

Point is they signed on for 3 games with Sony as an independent studio. Just because they may look into being acquired doesn't mean the other companies under a similar partnership will seek the same.

Top Bottom