• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Chobel

I didn't listen to it all as I had errands to run.

* Ryan says he was thinking in Baseball terms when he made that tweet with the Sony being the Yankees and Mocrosoft as the Red Sox

* He looked physically ill when they mentioned how Sony's coddling up Tim Schafer, Yu Suzuki and Hideo Kojima. He said he will personally ask Phil about it

* IGN contemplates that the game's 5 years away and may be a PS5 launch title.

* There was some talk about how risky it is to give Kojima this much money on a new IP and that may have been a factor why MS didn't want it

I'll listen to the rest when I get back home.

735.gif

vpance

TBH, I listened directly there and it does sound more like he's just wanting MS's reaction to these content wins rather than wondering why they're happening. He notes it must suck for Xbox owners, but he's not personally himself saying 'oh i wish MS would get these deals'. More like 'I wonder what they're MS is thinking about these developments'. And that's all fair enough, I think someone should inquire with them about it.

Sure, he should definitely ask Phil. And we all know what he'd say :)

I think in time these biased journos will adjust. It's just that we came out of a gen where 360 dominated in the west for 7 years, and was probably also when they started, so they have no real clue on how the industry works.. at all.

If MS signed with Kojima, obviously they would've sung praises about how MS is a daring publisher, and is the only publisher who has the big enough warchest to invest into a Kojima new IP.

But since they didn't, now it's "risky" for MS. /s

Ryan ever watched the interview IGN exclusive had ? Kojima perfectly explains why he went with Sony. FFS. Not everything is just money.

I don't like making assumptions too much, but if I didn't know him and saw that tweet, I would definitely had taken Ryan's tweet to basically imply that "MS would've been able to offer the best deal no one else can, so the fact that it wasn't MS must mean there were other reasons other than being able to give the best offer."

Again, perception thing.

I think fundamentally the reason he's so reactive is because he sees Sony's success and effective smart biz moves, and wants MS to do the same, even when sometimes businesses don't work that way.

In Ryan's defense when he talks about his twitter exchange with Shu, he seems genuinely starstruck in tone about the prospect of interviewing him for the podcast. While he and his team definitely does side and champions all things Microsoft, it almost sounds like expanding the focus to make Sony on par is this exciting new territory for him. It could just be him talking graciously about the situation, but it isn't hard to conceive that a video game podcast host would love to have the heads of two consoles in their direct communication channels.

It's a market that is a headless entity with no one organising "exclusivity" against Sony. The audience playing on PC is only partially similar to that of consoles as represented by the variation in successful games, genres, development, features, monetisation etc. Independent games flourish there and are the initial starting point of development for the majority of them due to PC being a primary developer platform with easy mechanisms to self publish and maintain a higher portion of revenue than any other platform. Importantly, developers want to be there due to the success they get, increased revenue per unit and player base. With costs of development as they are and improved tools, it makes sense to be on PC as well as everywhere else when possible, which makes agreeing and paying for full exclusivity difficult. Platform holders can not justify the cost to attain fully exclusive third party titles of large scope and scale and third parties are not so willing either compared to years ago due to what they'll miss out on.

MS are determined to get control of PC gaming, have it become a part of their revenue stream and become a competitor there. They are less willing to pick up titles and publish them on something big like Steam, betting more on having its own fully exclusive titles on its own services, at least at first, as they try to unify their ecosystems (likely with many 3rd parties not interested in publishing to a MS store front alone on PC). For Sony this isn't much of a problem, and they are having great success letting 3rd parties publish their games on PC as originally intended but grab the exclusivity with some extra money / marketing in a win-win situation. They even engage in picking up Steam Early Access titles prior to their launch.

It is entirely possible that Sony see all this and will take advantage with non-critical titles they have ownership of, and titles where the developers need extra funding, choosing to become a publisher for such games on PC thus getting a return for sales there as well for greater profit. Then again this is all guess work on my part. For all we know there might be a lot more going on behind the scenes.

The problem is that that is practically impossible. The number of excellent titles coming out on PC, where they start development, is massive. It simply isn't possible to make so many of them exclusive to console, enough that PC users would stop gaming there and move to a console. Many gamers are doing both since PCs have other uses, different features and gaming paradigms going on. Consoles and PC are not competing in the same way you think they are. If anything, they actually need each other. The two markets end up producing very different games with success varying between the platforms and their audiences

Excellent, thoughful post. I agree that Sony are releasing some of their 3Rd party exclusives on PC out of a mixture of necessity and pragmatism. Also agree that they will only release their non critical, first party and third party releases only.
In today's gaming landscape where there is competition for the casual crowd from mobile / tablets and the more core centric gamers from pc, they are well aware that they cannot take away what differentiates ps4 software library. Iconic first party properties like uncharted, gran tourism and ratchet and clank will need to remain playstation only games for as long as Sony wants to remain in and expand their console business. Therefore you see Sony investing in new first and third party party ip like Horizon, bloodborne and Detroit while simultaneously releasing some of their less strongly brand associated / smaller titles such as Helldivers and Egtr on pc. It's an approach that they need to take in order to secure more exclusive deals while not diluting the attractiveness of the platform in terms of games unique to it.

In Ryan's defense when he talks about his twitter exchange with Shu, he seems genuinely starstruck in tone about the prospect of interviewing him for the podcast. While he and his team definitely does side and champions all things Microsoft, it almost sounds like expanding the focus to make Sony on par is this exciting new territory for him. It could just be him gracious about the situation, but it isn't hard to conceive that a podcast host would love to have the heads of two consoles in their communication channels.

Nothing wrong with that, but honestly the first dibs should be Marty Sliva, not Ryan.

So far, Greg Miller's pretty much gotten all the hawt scoops when it comes to being buddy-buddy with Playstation execs.

But Marty's gotten nothing substantial yet. =(

Raylan

Banned

* Ryan says he was thinking in Baseball terms when he made that tweet with the Sony being the Yankees and Mocrosoft as the Red Sox

* He looked physically ill when they mentioned how Sony's coddling up Tim Schafer, Yu Suzuki and Hideo Kojima. He said he will personally ask Phil about it

* There was some talk about how risky it is to give Kojima this much money on a new IP and that may have been a factor why MS didn't want it

xy4m3Pn.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ryan does lean more towards the Xbox lineup of stuff, (thus Sony's 2016 pro-Japanese stuff doesn't interest him comparatively ), so it's a natural train of thought for Ryan.

I think the Unlocked team is somewhat bewildered a little bit by how Sony is able to tap so strongly into the hardcore and sell so much, whereas Xbox releases exclusive games (they like), but still is struggling.

Ryan and co. much like many US-based journalist lacks the global perspective of things, and also doesn't seem to understand that Sony achieves PR wins by making strategic moves on all ends of the spectrum via positioning themselves with the biggest games in the market (CoD, Destiny, etc), not just the Tim, Kojima and Suzukis.

Its a shame. But its not uncommon in the US for this kind of mindset, Xbox sells the most here, and this type of consumer is essentially what XBox 1 only consumers mindsets are, largely reflected in Ryan Mccaffery's viewpoints here.

Pro US, anti Japanese game, confused at why people don't take to shooters and the typical western stuff MS locks down over more experimental kinds of things.

Just based on my experience its not uncommon a sentiment, so its not really fair to dogpile on him by himself.

Fuckin' loool, I like my FUD salty :D

Will check out later for the delicious tears.

Honestly, posts like this are an embarrassment to our hobby.

You're not focusing on the games, or the possibilities for the acquisition. You're concentrating purely on gloating and sticking it to the console you don't personally back.

Seriously, what is wrong with you?

AmuroChan

Nothing wrong with that, but honestly the first dibs should be Marty Sliva, not Ryan.

So far, Greg Miller's pretty much gotten all the hawt scoops when it comes to being buddy-buddy with Playstation execs.

That's how it should work and it makes perfect sense, but that's not how IGN works. The fact that they had Max and Brian take over Podcast Beyond is a complete joke. Nothing against them personally. They're very good in other things, but I don't think any informed Playstation fan would consider them to be Playstation experts.

Its a shame. But its not uncommon in the US for this kind of mindset, Xbox sells the most here, and this type of consumer is essentially what XBox 1 only consumers mindsets are, largely reflected in Ryan Mccaffery's viewpoints here.

Pro US, anti Japanese game, confused at why people don't take to shooters and the typical western stuff MS locks down over more experimental kinds of things.

Just based on my experience its not uncommon a sentiment, so its not really fair to dogpile on him by himself.

I can imagine it is quite a common mindset, it's quite similar in the UK. Having said that, it's no less stupid and ignorant. This Ryan guy should know better.

HORRORSHØW

Honestly, posts like this are an embarrassment to our hobby.

You're not focusing on the games, or the possibilities for the acquisition. You're concentrating purely on gloating and sticking it to the console you don't personally back.

Seriously, what is wrong with you?
you need to get off your high horse and stop acting so god damned indignant.

Yeah, I totally agree with that. The podcast and personality that have an established and natural respect and love for the games coming from a publisher/studio should get dibs. From a purely business standpoint, you know those hosts will have more meaningful questions and a natural interview flow.

Grimløck;189653465 said:
you need to get off your high horse and stop acting so god damned indignant.

I don't consider calling out bad behavior as being indignant.

I just wonder sometimes about the priorities of some people.

bombshell

I see that I made a wise decision to not take anything Ryan says seriously after he wrote that Forza 5 has better graphics than Driveclub.

AmuroChan

That's not really his mindset though. He's pro-Xbox, but he's not anti-Japanese or anti-Indie games. In fact, he still routinely brings up on Unlocked the fact that 360 had so many awesome exclusive JRPGs that the PS3 never got. And on the Indie-front, he loves to highlight the Indie games that are exclusive or timed exclusive to X1, such as Inside, Cuphead, Tacoma, Oxenfree, etc.

I cannot read this without hearing "the winner takes it all" in my head.

HORRORSHØW

I don't consider calling out bad behavior as being indignant.
oh no? isn't this so-called gloating a by-product of some perceived slight against microsoft aka "sticking it to the console you don't personally back"?

hey, if you want to fundamentally change the dialogue between fanboys, more power to you. seriously. but this back-and-forth is entrenched in console-war fanboyism. it always has been, and it always will be. it's nothing but a humorous asterisk denoting the victors/losers that isn't worth glossing over.

do you think ryan's stance is "an embarrassment to our hobby?"

Grimløck;189656045 said:
oh no? isn't this so-called gloating a by-product of some perceived slight against microsoft aka "sticking it to the console you don't personally back"?

hey, if you want to fundamentally change the dialogue between fanboys, more power to you. seriously. but this back-and-forth is entrenched in console-war fanboyism. it always has been, and it always will be. it's nothing but a humorous asterisk denoting the victors/losers that isn't worth glossing over.

So that makes it okay?

StoopKid

Could someone explain to me why PC isn't a competition to PS4? In every one of these Console Exclusive threads you'll see one or two posters going "Fuck this, what's the point in my PS4 when I can play this on PC? I'm selling mah shit!" Isn't that competition right there?

Im guessing vocal minority.

That argument has been made since launch and yet ps4 keeps selling.

Wonderfull stuff. He is paid fanboy like Gies

Has anyone linked the gif of them discussing that PS4 having games in 1080p/30fps doesn't matter because the human eye can't detect it?

Fools the lot of them

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So Are Sony financing the development and publishing the game?
The exact terms are not known but usually that's how a publisher arranges things with an independent developer.

Kojima is a big enough name that his contracts probably resemble more those of Respawn and Bungie than those of Platinum or High Voltage Games.

The exact terms are not known but usually that's how a publisher arranges things with an independent developer.

Kojima is a big enough name that his contracts probably resemble more those of Respawn and Bungie than those of Platinum or High Voltage Games.

Also with a brand new studio with its business license still presumably in the mail, I don't see how they could publish it independently without financial investors behind him or Kojima investing whatever money he has into the business (which he probably would to a lesser degree). Could be the case, but chances are Sony is footing the bill.

I listen to the podcast but i can 't take someone like ryan seriously .
It hard to listen to someone who seem to understand the industry even less than people on gaf .
And this is our hobby and we are not being paid for it .
But this seem to be a problem of thinking US = World and MS = got nuff money which mean so does the gaming part .

Top Bottom