• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

I didn't listen to it all as I had errands to run.

* Ryan says he was thinking in Baseball terms when he made that tweet with the Sony being the Yankees and Mocrosoft as the Red Sox

* He looked physically ill when they mentioned how Sony's coddling up Tim Schafer, Yu Suzuki and Hideo Kojima. He said he will personally ask Phil about it

* IGN contemplates that the game's 5 years away and may be a PS5 launch title.

* There was some talk about how risky it is to give Kojima this much money on a new IP and that may have been a factor why MS didn't want it

I'll listen to the rest when I get back home.

I lost it at 'physically ill', lol. Jesus Christ, why is he so upset?

Melchiah

That's not really his mindset though. He's pro-Xbox, but he's not anti-Japanese or anti-Indie games. In fact, he still routinely brings up on Unlocked the fact that 360 had so many awesome exclusive JRPGs that the PS3 never got. And on the Indie-front, he loves to highlight the Indie games that are exclusive or timed exclusive to X1, such as Inside, Cuphead, Tacoma, Oxenfree, etc.

The question is, would he highlight those indies and bring up the JRPGs, if they weren't Xbox (timed) exclusives, or is it just about the platform they're on?

23qwerty

I find resolution is much easier to notice on a smaller screen because you're typically much closer to it. far easier to tell on my 23" monitor than my 50" TV simply because you're so much closer

* He looked physically ill when they mentioned how Sony's coddling up Tim Schafer, Yu Suzuki and Hideo Kojima. He said he will personally ask Phil about it

To be fair MS got Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Their focus is clearly on AAA exclusivity while Sony is clearly aiming for hearts and minds.

This?

zgySyRI.gif

That's the one. Thank you man.

I remember also listening to Gies go mental at the PS4's launch because it didn't have an good exclusives and it "doesn't deserve to sell that much compared to Xbox one"

Fuck off Gies and Ryan.

I thought the whole idea of journalism was to have no bias.

He's technically the one that inherited Beyond, which is supposed to be the Playstation voice of IGN. He also loves Bloodborne so he's okay in my book lol.
PlayStation IGN became irrelevant once Colin and Greg left. I have no idea why they weren't replaced by gamers who game primarily on PS shortly afterwards, but that`s for another topic. At least Goldfarb is back though.

If that summary of the unlocked podcast is correct, that is hilarious and embarrassing statements from them.

He's no Greg or Colin, but I like Marty. He at least knows more about Playstation than Max or Brian. Personally I would've liked Goldfarb to take over Beyond.

I haven't listened to one episode since Colin and Gred set up Kinda Funny. They were the only reason I listened to it. Ryan Clements was great too

John Wick

I remember also listening to Gies go mental at the PS4's launch because it didn't have an good exclusives and it "doesn't deserve to sell that much compared to Xbox one"

Fuck off Gies and Ryan.

It's hilarious and cringe worthy when game journalists behave like this, clearly showing bias and fanboism!
I'm glad Sony is leading the Salt is real!

Man.... I havent touched Kinda funny but IGN's old playstation crew was pretty great.

If the Podcast Unlocked people where on the PlayStation camp back then they would be trying to convince people Lair was a good game.

I listen to the podcast but i can 't take someone like ryan seriously .
It hard to listen to someone who seem to understand the industry even less than people on gaf .
And this is our hobby and we are not being paid for it .
But this seem to be a problem of thinking US = World and MS = got nuff money which mean so does the gaming part .

In this particular case, I think it's also insulting that they think Kojima would take the biggest paycheck over anything else.

Sharpeye

Never got why people think Xbox has unlimited spending money. MS itself has plenty of cash but the Xbox division itself no doubt has a budget and no way is MS going to allow Xbox to leech off it's other profits.

MDSLKTR

I saw him holding a ps4 controller in a video once, maybe he got syphilis from it?

Never got why people think Xbox has unlimited spending money. MS itself has plenty of cash but the Xbox division itself no doubt has a budget and no way is MS going to allow Xbox to leech off it's other profits.

For a recent case example, look at what ended up happening with the marketing for Rise of the Tomb Raider. If Xbox has a direct line into MS warchest, they could have easily plastered the exclusive game all over tv and ads in the lead up to BF. They appear to have made a strategic business decision to go heavier on the promotion for Fallout 4.

Don't get me wrong, they clearly have an edge having the backing of a major global corporation, but in some circumstances where they could have flexed that muscle, it hasn't exactly materialized.

But then again... they dropped 2 billion on Minecraft. So, who knows.

I think that was always the difference between Colin and Greg and people like Ryan. As much as Colin and Greg are fans of PlayStation, they were never fanboys. They praise where appropriate and criticise when appropriate and they never get annoyed at what other platforms have, in terms of games, only features that they wish could be implimented on the systems.

It's cringeworthy to see grown men act like 12 year olds.

AmuroChan

For a recent case example, look at what ended up happening with the marketing for Rise of the Tomb Raider. If Xbox has a direct line into MS warchest, they could have easily plastered the exclusive game all over tv and ads in the lead up to BF. They appear to have made a strategic decision to go heavier promotion for Fallout 4.

Don't get me wrong, they clearly have an edge having the backing of a major global corporation, but in some circumstances where they could have flexed that muscle, it hasn't exactly materialized.

Also, budgets for corporate companies are complicated and set well in advance. In my company for example, we have separate budgets for operations vs capital vs staffing vs travel, etc. If we use up our budget for operations, we can't just take from the capital pool even if there's a surplus there.

For a recent case example, look at what ended up happening with the marketing for Rise of the Tomb Raider. If Xbox has a direct line into MS warchest, they could have easily plastered the exclusive game all over tv and ads in the lead up to BF. They appear to have made a strategic business decision to go heavier on the promotion for Fallout 4.

It seems like MS's warchest has dwindled a little bit this gen compared to last gen while Sony's has raised by 50% if not twice as much.

PlayStation IGN became irrelevant once Colin and Greg left. I have no idea why they weren't replaced by gamers who game primarily on PS shortly afterwards, but that`s for another topic. At least Goldfarb is back though.

If that summary of the unlocked podcast is correct, that is hilarious and embarrassing statements from them.

I wish they would make Goldfarb a regular. The fact that his favorite PS console is the Vita should earn him a permanent seat.

Wakka212

Can't shake my head enough. Journalists should inform, not to obfuscate the public.

Very much agreed.

Except in this case, we are not talking about journalists. I don't think we should ever look at IGN / Gamespot employees as gaming journalists - I'm not even sure they proclaim to be journalists themselves!

They produce gaming media. That is all. That said, I do think these websites have a material influence and it would be great if they had a more responsible and unbiased outlook when it came to these kinds of topics.

Anyhow, will give a listen to see if this is as bad as everyone is saying.

Also, budgets for corporate companies are complicated and set well in advance. In my company for example, we have separate budgets for operations vs capital vs staffing vs travel, etc. If we use up our budget for operations, we can't just take from the capital pool even if there's a surplus there.

Definitely, and again, if you spent so much money for exclusivity, why drop the ball on marketing unless you hit the budget cap.

It seems like MS's warchest has dwindled a little bit this gen compared to last gen while Sony's has raised by 50% if not twice as much.

For sure. And there is zero direct evidence for anything, but it does feel a lot like the Xbox division is in a transitional phase to a greater or lesser degree. (switching to MAUs as a success metric, focus on Windows 10 cross play, and more). It's truly anyone's guess what that transition is towards.

But I am derailing this thread.

On topic: I am hoping Kojima can convice Del Toro to come back to the table for some project and that's my only wish. Those two could make something truly awesome together.

Melchiah

Very much agreed.

Except in this case, we are not talking about journalists. I don't think we should ever look at IGN / Gamespot employees as gaming journalists - I'm not even sure they proclaim to be journalists themselves!

They produce gaming media. That is all. That said, I do think these websites have a material influence and it would be great if they had a more responsible and unbiased outlook when it came to these kinds of topics.

Anyhow, will give a listen to see if this is as bad as everyone is saying.

Yeah, but I still think even gaming media should hold to some standards, that are set higher than the kind of bickering you might see on gaming forums.

I can't shake the feeling, that they'd sing a different tune if the platforms' roles were reversed. I wouldn't be surprised either, if they made a big deal about the visual differences in multiplatform titles last gen.

I think that was always the difference between Colin and Greg and people like Ryan. As much as Colin and Greg are fans of PlayStation, they were never fanboys. They praise where appropriate and criticise when appropriate and they never get annoyed at what other platforms have, in terms of games, only features that they wish could be implimented on the systems.

It's cringeworthy to see grown men act like 12 year olds.
Nailed it.

You can have a preference without it deluding you.

I prefer PS as well but I wouldn't touch a podcast with guys deluded by everything PS and talking down on everything else. Greg and Colin are all I need for PS podcasts.

Finalow

come on now, that IGN stuff is like 25 years old. it shouldn't be even surprising at this point, lol.

back on topic, will KojiPro finally hire some competent writers for this new game? Stay tuned.

the new logo is really nice.

Fuck off Gies and Ryan.

If you look at the whole history of journalism, the idea that bias should be avoided is a brief blip. The whole idea of journalism is to make money. Early papers were highly biased. Every political party basically had it's own publications. Once printing technology matured, it became economically attractive to get the biggest audience possible. This lead papers to drop their bias to get as many readers as possible.

Now that the internet makes it easy for people to get the information that they want from more specialized outlets again.

AmuroChan

Nailed it.

I prefer PS as well but I wouldn't touch a podcast with guys deluded by everything PS and talking down on everything else. Greg and Colin are all I need for PS podcasts.

I've said this before, but to me Unlocked feels like a podcast that promotes everything Xbox, whereas Beyond (Greg & Colin's) felt like a podcast that discusses all things Playstation.

I've said this before, but to me Unlocked feels like a podcast that promotes everything Xbox, whereas Beyond (Greg & Colin's) felt like a podcast that discusses all things Playstation.

i wouldn't go that far. but greg and colin are way more critical of sony than mccaffrey is of microsoft. dude sugar coats basically everything MS does

Nailed it.

I'm definitely a PS fan but would never bother with the official PS podcast for the simple fact that those guys cannot say anything negative. That's my only issue for PS Access. Those guys are fucking amazing and have wonderful charisma, esp Rob
or the real MVP that joins him every time, you know who it is
. But they are never going to fully be honest like Greg and Colin, which is the only thing that currently holds them back.

* Ryan says he was thinking in Baseball terms when he made that tweet with the Sony being the Yankees and Mocrosoft as the Red Sox

* There was some talk about how risky it is to give Kojima this much money on a new IP and that may have been a factor why MS didn't want it

Holy salty fanboys, Batman!

AmuroChan

Doesn't IGN read their own articles? Now the Podcast Beyond crew is speculating that Kojima's game will come out for X1 after a year of exclusivity, comparing it to Tomb Raider. Watch/Listen from the 8-min mark.

http://goo.gl/MJEp3Z

ukas

Doesn't IGN read their own articles? Now the Podcast Beyond crew is speculating that Kojima's game will come out for X1 after a year of exclusivity, comparing it to Tomb Raider. Watch/Listen from the 8-min mark.

http://goo.gl/MJEp3Z

Not to mention that one of the brainiacs says that it isn't even going to come out on the PS4, but will be on the PS5.

Percy

Banned
Honestly, posts like this are an embarrassment to our hobby.

You're not focusing on the games, or the possibilities for the acquisition. You're concentrating purely on gloating and sticking it to the console you don't personally back.

Seriously, what is wrong with you?

What's wrong with you? Ryan McCaffery isn't a console last I checked and mocking him for being upset over something like this seems perfectly fair to me.

Check where your head's at already, Pathfinder. Your overreaction has been much more embarrassing than anything I've written here.

This reads like "You know what, I'm glad MS didn't get Kojima!".

Top Bottom