• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q2: PS4 shipment 4 million, cumulative sell in at 29.3 million

Mahonay

Banned
Those are some big numbers.

Curious to see how it'll do this holiday with the $350 price point. Have a feeling it'll be big period for both Sony and Microsoft.

Vinc

cool.

now make a silent PS4, or at least one that doesn't drown game music and voice acting in jet engine noise. i'll buy one immediately after selling the old one.

I feel like I got extremely lucky with my launch unit, mine is silent. The only time I can hear it is when I install a disc based game. It's pretty loud for the initial install (the 30 seconds bit before you can launch the game), then gets a bit quieter as it installs the rest of the game in the background. After a few hours of playing a game for the first time and for each subsequent time, it's as quiet as any slim console of the past gen. I can only hear a slight hum if I mute everything. Xbox One is even more impressive though, I literally can't hear it with my ear an inch from it in a quiet room.

Are we actually placing this in the ranks of the PS2 and the WiiU? Damn, that rocks! Sony, you knocked this gen out of the park. I am inclined to agree that it works because it's first and foremost a gaming system without focusing on the gimmicks. Great to see the console industry is doing well.

sense

i never said those games didn't? all i said i want more games. (disgust)

let's not get super sensitive (y)

with the amount of people that troll with the comment "great sales but where are the games" i am not sure why you are surprised that someone reacted negatively. maybe acknowledge that there are a lot of games announced and you want more in the first place rather than leaving it open ended to interpretation?

sörine

Banned
This. So sick and tired of hearing about the fad monster, sure it was the fastest selling console of alltime for 3-4 years, but didnt even outsell the playstation 1 and the brand is dead just after one gen, mean while playstation just keep on rolling and just doesnt have a 1 fad generation, it sells great for the past 4 generations even with the disappointing ps3 sales, it probably has another 3-4 gens of domination, now thats what you call a sales monster.
To be fair Wii also never had the full industry backing or high failure rate the PS1 did either. I went through 3 PlayStations but only ever needed one Wii for the gen. My PS1 also saw pretty much every big 3rd party game release on it while my Wii only got a handful of them.

The PlayStation brand isn't impenetrable either. It's been a raging success in one area (game consoles) but we haven't seen Sony able to capitalize on that sustained success with PS in other markets yet (handheld, mobile, set top, streaming, other electronics, etc). It's sort of stuck in a box, a box that's doing quite well mind you, but it shows the brand itself has somewhat a narrow reach past that. Microsoft seems to be having a similar difficulty moving Xbox beyond the game console sphere too.

Javin98

Banned
If they have PS4 LE bundles for SFV and UC4 I can see them reaching 40 million by the end of March.

Crazy prediction #2 of the year.
You clarified that this is your sold through predictions, right? I don't think it's crazy at all, actually. With this shipments figure, I'm more confident than ever that the PS4 will reach 35 million sold through by the end of 2015. If the marketing and hype for SFV and UC4 is huge and as you said, bundles with great value announced (I'm expecting standard bundles too besides LE's), Q1 2016 will be massive for the PS4 sales-wise.

Edit: Actually, after giving it some more thought, I still wouldn't say your predictions are crazy, but they are optimistic. I think sold through figures will be closer to 39 million, but shipments should hit 40 million easily.

witness

cool.

now make a silent PS4, or at least one that doesn't drown game music and voice acting in jet engine noise. i'll buy one immediately after selling the old one.

I bought the white Destiny bundle last year and after just a few months the jet engine noise started. It's worse in some games than others, TPP is my worst offender. I was playing Syndicate last night and my wife was watching the debate and asked what that noise was, and we sit pretty far away from the TV. In comparison my XB1 is silent. I would love to get rid of this loud ass thing and get a redesigned one.

Dragon

Banned
sörine;183380687 said:
To be fair Wii also never had the full industry backing or high failure rate the PS1 did either. I went through 3 PlayStations but only ever needed one Wii for the gen.

This type of anecdotal evidence in a thread about sales seems a bit out of place.

sörine;183380687 said:
The PlayStation brand isn't impenetrable either. It's been a raging success in one area (game consoles) but we haven't seen Sony able to capitalize on that sustained success with PS in other markets yet (handheld, mobile, set top, streaming, other electronics, etc). It's sort of stuck in a box, a box that's doing quite well mind you, but it shows the brand itself has somewhat a narrow reach. Microsoft seems to having a similar difficulty moving Xbox beyond the game console sphere too.

The PSP sold 82 million units. This is more than any other handheld by Nintendo besides the DS and Gameboy. The Vita is obviously a failure but the continued hate on the PSP is really puzzling.

with the amount of people that troll with the comment "great sales but where are the games" i am not sure why you are surprised that someone reacted negatively. maybe acknowledge that there are a lot of games announced and you want more in the first place rather than leaving it open ended to interpretation?

no, sounds like you tried to make it sound like it's a troll comment. but that's not my business. (y)

GeoramA

30 million before they even dropped the price, jesus. That's what happens when you have a worldwide brand that's loved and trusted.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
30 million before they even dropped the price, jesus. That's what happens when you have a worldwide brand that's loved and trusted.

ehhhhhh... May 2013 had a LOT to do with it.. I love my PS4 as much as the next guy, but MS essentially shot their entire foot off all the way up to their shin. A really nice sized chunk of PS4's success comes directly from users telling MS to fuck off in May 2013. What you are saying is definitely a good reason why it was always likely that the PS4 was going to outperform the PS3. But where we are at now has more to do with MS' unveiling/disaster than it does the love for Sony (or maybe that that love for Sony came from the disaster... or some such)

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
cool.

Congratulations Sony keep on kicking arse 😊 im glad my launch PS4 is silent

Mahonay

Banned
how do you define very loud?
i mean ps4 is silent than ps3 and xbox360
If my Xbox 360 sounds like a jet engine, I'd say in comparison my PS4 sounds like a hairdryer. Not the entire time though, maybe about half? It has gotten worse with time. I have a very small living room so the loud fan noise it produces is very obvious.

Verendus

Banned
sörine;183380687 said:
To be fair Wii also never had the full industry backing or high failure rate the PS1 did either. I went through 3 PlayStations but only ever needed one Wii for the gen. My PS1 also saw pretty much every big 3rd party game release on it while my Wii only got a handful of them.

The PlayStation brand isn't impenetrable either. It's been a raging success in one area (game consoles) but we haven't seen Sony able to capitalize on that sustained success with PS in other markets yet (handheld, mobile, set top, streaming, other electronics, etc).It's sort of stuck in a box, a box that's doing quite well mind you, but it shows the brand itself has somewhat a narrow reach past that. Microsoft seems to be having a similar difficulty moving Xbox beyond the game console sphere too.
Let's not forget aerospace, biotechnology, robotics, and oil.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
J-J-JAMESON-LAUGH.gif

Perfect.

DieH@rd

Banned
Amazing numbers, PS4 sold really lot before first pricedrop was introduced.

ps4saleskazcopyzts4y.jpg

This holiday season will be bloodbath [only close sales will be in US and UK], and Q1 2015 is filled with so many awesome games on PS4. Plus, there is PSVR.

IconGrist

how do you define very loud?
i mean ps4 is silent than ps3 and xbox360

Loud as in I had to wear a gaming headset just to be able to hear a game. I did get a new one though and it was dead silent the first few months. I can hear it a little bit now though.

How many brand names are successful outside of its core field?

Apple didn't use its Mac brand name for its smart devices or not sure how successful a Coca Cola Car would be.

eerik9000

looks like Sony only gets to enjoy 2 more quarters of claiming best selling Playstation console in history.

Nah. Price drop kicks in, huge holiday season, more big exclusives start coming out early 2016. PS4 still has a good chance of out-pacing PS2.

cool.

I don't hear my PS4 at all, except when its installing. Must be something wrong with yours. Is it well ventilated?

StevieP

Banned
Verendus, when does sony's mass-market chasing software start so that they can continue this sales pace and it doesn't slow down?

This. So sick and tired of hearing about the fad monster, sure it was the fastest selling console of alltime for 3-4 years, but didnt even outsell the playstation 1 and the brand is dead just after one gen, mean while playstation just keep on rolling and just doesnt have a 1 fad generation, it sells great for the past 4 generations even with the disappointing ps3 sales, it probably has another 3-4 gens of domination, now thats what you call a sales monster.

Show me on this doll where uncle nintendo touched you

DavidDesu

I never understood the consoles are dead meme. It seems like a joke now but were people serious. I mean, why? Did people really think PC gaming, far more convoluted to get into vs a console, would supercede consoles? Did people think the mobile market, with it's rush to monetise everything and turn even the best games into addiction money grabbing nonsense, did they think THAT would kill off consoles? I just don't get it :S

TI82

Banned
I never understood the consoles are dead meme. It seems like a joke now but were people serious. I mean, why? Did people really think PC gaming, far more convoluted to get into vs a console, would supercede consoles? Did people think the mobile market, with it's rush to monetise everything and turn even the best games into addiction money grabbing nonsense, did they think THAT would kill off consoles? I just don't get it :S

Well, the other consoles are dead. Microsoft can barely compete and Nintendo can try but I mean the sales speak for themselves. Sony is the only console that is doing well.

sörine;183380687 said:

The PlayStation brand isn't impenetrable either. It's been a raging success in one area (game consoles) but we haven't seen Sony able to capitalize on that sustained success with PS in other markets yet (handheld, mobile, set top, streaming, other electronics, etc). It's sort of stuck in a box, a box that's doing quite well mind you, but it shows the brand itself has somewhat a narrow reach past that. Microsoft seems to be having a similar difficulty moving Xbox beyond the game console sphere too.

Dont care about any of those, all i care is about console sales, playstation brand is impenetrable in my mind. Microsoft was its main competition last gen did everything right, had a year head start, third party support as good as sony's, better hardware for third partys, most game run better on 360, much better controller, a huge boost by kinect, and was 100-200$ cheaper, and still sony made a come back, and beat it. the ps4, will bring the brand back to ps2 levels, sony will not make the ps3 mistakes again.

Skilletor

Well, the other consoles are dead. Microsoft can barely compete and Nintendo can try but I mean the sales speak for themselves. Sony is the only console that is doing well.

Isn't the XB1 tracking ahead of the 360?

I mean, it might not be doing as well as the PS4, but the only console that has done better so far is the Wii.

Taurus

This type of anecdotal evidence in a thread about sales seems a bit out of place.

The PSP sold 82 million units. This is more than any other handheld by Nintendo besides the DS and Gameboy. The Vita is obviously a failure but the continued hate on the PSP is really puzzling.
PSP was the fad monster of handheld consoles.

ethomaz

Banned
Isn't the XB1 tracking ahead of the 360?

I mean, it might not be doing as well as the PS4, but the only console that has done better so far is the Wii.
To be fair Xbone is tracking ahead 360 most due the great launch... 360 is catching since.

Not really, we are just going back to the norm, the samething happened in the playstation 1 and 2 era. Both microsoft and nintendo couldn't compete.

Vanmunt

Banned

WiiU was DOA though if you have to be honest and the XBOX1 has pretty impressive figures compared to 360 so yes and no.

I would love Nintendo to knock it out the park with the NX as I have missed out on the Wii and Wiiu but I won't hold my breath.

TI82

Banned
The Xbone is dead in all countries not USA/UK.
Yep, I know a few people with XB1 but I know thats not the norm world wide at all.

Not really, we are just going back to the norm, the samething happened in the playstation 1 and 2 era. Both microsoft and nintendo couldn't compete.

Maybe that's true. Sony has dominated 3/4 of the gens they were in. Even in the end I would say they came out ahead with the PS3.

I would love Nintendo to knock it out the park with the NX as I have missed out on the Wii and Wiiu but I won't hold my breath.

I also want Nintendo to go back to being good. There are a handful of good games on the Wii U but its just not the same. Hopefully with the NX though

Taurus

Dont care about any of those, all i care is about console sales, playstation brand is impenetrable in my mind. Microsoft was its main competition last gen did everything right, had a year head start, third party support as good as sony's, better hardware for third partys, most game run better on 360, much better controller, a huge boost by kinect, and was 100-200$ cheaper, and still sony made a come back, and beat it. the ps4, will bring the brand back to ps2 levels, sony will not make the ps3 mistakes again.
PS3 was a huge financial disaster for Sony and they lost billions of dollars while MS made some profit with the X360. X360 is seen as a huge success for MS while PS3 is a failure for Sony. "Beating it" while taking a huge loss doesn't seem much of a win to me.

These corporations don't care about console sales like dumb fanboys do, it's all about the financial outcome.

StevieP

Banned

Ps2 levels? Dude you'd better relax on predictions like that. It might not even hit ps1 levels without the support of that casual market you seem to disdain and dismiss so readily.

It's casual users that propel platforms to those sales heights, not hardcore gamers. Which makes your dismissal of other successes all that more funny.

I don't see a heck of a lot of software by the major publishers targeting anyone but young males. It's there in tiny pieces but nothing like the breadth delivered on the ps1, ps2 and Wii. That's what should concern folks that care about sales.

sense

no, sounds like you tried to make it sound like it's a troll comment. but that's not my business. (y)

i didn't...... but you seem to have an attitude with the way you reply so I am just going to drop further discussion. hope more games are announced for ps4!

Top Bottom