• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q2: PS4 shipment 4 million, cumulative sell in at 29.3 million

wapplew

I bought a PS3 late. Some time in 2011. I was a Nintendo-only player up until then, until RE4 changed my mind on what games could be. After a brief stint in PC, I settled on the console.

The reason I bought a PS3 over the 360 came down to a single factor: exclusives. PlayStation had Infamous, Uncharted, God of War, Heavy Rain, and a slew of remasters that made the purchase simple. I didn't know which games o actually wanted to play, I didn't know much about any of them. But this late in the lifecycle, multiplats plus all these exclusives seemed much more appealing than multiplats plus Halo and Gears.

I ended up loving my PS3. And by the quick turnaround between my purchase and the launch of the PS4, I already trusted the PlayStation brand. I trusted that they would deliver unique experiences I couldn't get anywhere else.

Last of Us ended up being the nail in that coffin. Last of Us gave new meaning to "only on PlayStation."

I bought a PS4 at launch. The only two games I played for the first year were Tomb Raider: DE and Last of Us Remastered. But I didn't regret my purchase, because I bought my PS4 on a promise I felt that Sony made to me. That, eventually, I would have experiences I could only get from their machine.

And I already feel that that has been delivered. Between Bloodborne and Until Dawn, I am contented by my decision. PlayStation takes care of me. PlayStation loves me. PlayStation makes me feel powerful and beautiful and like I'm the only player in the world.

And that's why I am announcing that I am going to marry my PlayStation 4. I am writing this from a small yacht, accompanied by an ordained minister/sea captain, and soon we will be Mr. and Mr. PlayStation 4.

Can't believe how much I'm crying over this. So embarrassing!! rt if you cry every time

Some kind of meme?

kyser73

A more apt comparison to Glass would be HoloLens, since both are AR devices that the tech to support adequately is still more than a decade away, if not more.

Javin98

Banned
Goddamn, that's even better than I expected. Naturally, with the price drops being effective in October, Sony would ship more units, but I was expecting 29 million or below. PS4 shipments continue to surpass expectations.

Exceptional performance. While the PS4 is a failure in New Zealand, it's doing remarkably well everywhere else.

The software lineup for 2016 is insane. I honestly think the PS4 can clear 50 million by the end of next year.

Falling off cliffs in New Zealand is like falling up because they're in the southern hemisphere. Right?

M.D

I bought a PS3 late. Some time in 2011. I was a Nintendo-only player up until then, until RE4 changed my mind on what games could be. After a brief stint in PC, I settled on the console.

The reason I bought a PS3 over the 360 came down to a single factor: exclusives. PlayStation had Infamous, Uncharted, God of War, Heavy Rain, and a slew of remasters that made the purchase simple. I didn't know which games o actually wanted to play, I didn't know much about any of them. But this late in the lifecycle, multiplats plus all these exclusives seemed much more appealing than multiplats plus Halo and Gears.

I ended up loving my PS3. And by the quick turnaround between my purchase and the launch of the PS4, I already trusted the PlayStation brand. I trusted that they would deliver unique experiences I couldn't get anywhere else.

Last of Us ended up being the nail in that coffin. Last of Us gave new meaning to "only on PlayStation."

I bought a PS4 at launch. The only two games I played for the first year were Tomb Raider: DE and Last of Us Remastered. But I didn't regret my purchase, because I bought my PS4 on a promise I felt that Sony made to me. That, eventually, I would have experiences I could only get from their machine.

And I already feel that that has been delivered. Between Bloodborne and Until Dawn, I am contented by my decision. PlayStation takes care of me. PlayStation loves me. PlayStation makes me feel powerful and beautiful and like I'm the only player in the world.

And that's why I am announcing that I am going to marry my PlayStation 4. I am writing this from a small yacht, accompanied by an ordained minister/sea captain, and soon we will be Mr. and Mr. PlayStation 4.

Can't believe how much I'm crying over this. So embarrassing!! rt if you cry every time

3212Nww.gif

Damn it. I'd been biding my time, always the admirer from afar, always hoping to eventually catch her eye. You're a better man than I, sir. I guess... if she's happy... then I can find some closure in that.

Treat her well. Or I shall hear of it.

Finale Fireworker
Don't let Nintendo finds out
Today, 10:03 AM

I made the right choice coming back home to playstation it seems( was xbox the last 11 or so years)

I dont see another golden era like the ps1 era was, But it's amazing to know that nearly 30 million ps4's have been sold already in 2 years.

With VR, And some even better exclusives next year it's the best place to play games.

Don't do it, she's mostly silicon.

Alo0oy

Banned
The only games I can see outselling the Final Fantasy 7 remake on PS4 are the Grand Theft Auto games, some CoD games and Gran Turismo. I think FF 7 will be bigger than basically everything else on the platform.

UC3 already sold ~as well as the original FFVII, are you expecting 4 to decline?

Freeman

Banned
:D

uncut edition is still amazing and maybe will remain amazing next decade

329900uncut.png

how amazing is sony turnover since 2009

What a great post. He gets nothing right: PS3 ends up selling 90m units, MGS4 is still a PS3 exclusive to this day, PS3 is know for its great exclusive games, FFXIII is FFXIII, PS4 completely dominates, Xbox sinks.

Amazing how PS3 managed to outsell the 360 worldwide. That was the biggest reversal in the industry's history.

I hope Xbone remains competitive so Sony won't get cocky ever again, we need a industry where everyone pushes themselves to the limit.

Sony can't afford to get into arrogant-mode again with the Playstation brand, I think they learned their lesson.

Sethista

For the players
God DAMN 👑

On the one hand it's a shame that they had to step away from phones and tv

On the other hand I hope VR does not backfire as a gamble on them

When VR launches the base will be 40 million units.

My guess is they are targetting low % of players will buy it, lets say 3% for arguement sake. WHen VR launches they sell close to a million units of VR. If they keep knocking strateegy out of the park like they are doing, they will offer some kind of game and software package to anyone who buys it, kinda like a wii sports package, so people can try it out of the box and show their friends.

For VR, using it yourself makes all the difference. After a while, the wheel turns automatically. Someone buys it, show it to their friends who had no idea, it becomes their most wanted thing, they buy it, ad infinitum. This should be called the "wii effect"

I dont see VR backfiring on them, I think it will be the next money printing machine they have.

Bishop89

Jack-staring-and-then-shaki.gif

Wrong on both counts.

Sony:
Sales: $5.4 billion
Operating Income: $359 million

Nintendo:
Sales: $1.7 billion
Operating Income: $74 million

It's obvious where you went wrong with Sony's numbers (billions of yen != millions of dollars) but I have no idea where your Nintendo numbers came from. Can't have been from the link you posted.

Yeah I got the yen thing wrong, the numbers for Nintendo and link come from another thread

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Do we have all the known July-Sept sell-through numbers for Japan and US?

QaaQer

I always felt the TR deal was a risk from a business perspective and right now it feels like fate has really decided to hammer SE.

It's launching directly against Fallout 4 (clearly unplanned and they got surprised by Fallout release date) and it's within week of CoD and Battlefront and all of those three are multi-platform. It's on 360/XB1 and IIRC the reboot sold less on 360/XB1 than PS3/PS4 so it's launching to the smaller install base from reboot and it's then launching later on PC/PS4 (no idea about PS3) so it's likely going to sell less due to delay and see more sales at reduced prices on those platforms as a result (punishment really). Add to that the way the market has played out PS4 is much more popular than XB1 globally and the deal looks worse and worse gamble for SE.

All in all I think the way events have turned the next installment of TR is facing a real tough market challenge to stand out and sell well.

Shame actually because while I had issues with a number of elements of TR (oddly enough the tone and excessive blood/violence was my main one not that I normally care about that in general) but I liked it well enough overall and had hopes to see a much improved second installment (ideally with toning down of the "I spit on your grave" exploitation grime and more of a tough action heroine vibe) but I feel SE might have put the franchise in a rocky place again - but you never know. Maybe it'll find it's audience amongst the bigger titles (and let's make no mistake right now CoD, Battlefront and Fallout are all bigger titles) and sell well enough.

I Spit On Your Grave...lol. I haven't thought about that movie in years. Great post as usual, btw.

I don't think SE is overly happy with the outcome, but you have to remember that when they made the decision, they were looking at releasing at the same time as Uncharted 4. And while I think TR 2013 is a better game than any UC 1-3 in terms of gameplay and systems, TR 2015 would definitely be overshadowed by UC4.

noobie

Banned
So, here is updated launch aligned graph:

yrsgo.jpg

Amazing PS4 sales means that it will keep overpacing PS2 for another quarter or two at least.

After beating Saturn lifetime sales half a year ago, the WiiU is now on track to beat Dreamcast lifetime number during the next quarter. This will be the last success of the console in the sales department, lets hope NX will be significantly more attractive proposition for gamers worldwide.

And X1 is most likely dropped below PS3 curve the quarter, but we will never know for sure. Thanks, MS. :p

I hope you are not reading too much into PS4 numbers. :)

Toxa

The reason I bought a PS3 over the 360 came down to a single factor: exclusives. PlayStation had Infamous, Uncharted, God of War, Heavy Rain, and a slew of remasters that made the purchase simple. I didn't know which games I actually wanted to play, I didn't know much about any of them. But this late in the lifecycle, multiplats plus all these exclusives seemed much more appealing than multiplats plus Halo and Gears.

And I already feel that that has been delivered. Between Bloodborne and Until Dawn, I am contented by my decision. PlayStation takes care of me.

lovely speech dude i'm glad for you and I fell also the same since 1997 :D

QaaQer

The reason I bought a PS3 over the 360 came down to a single factor: exclusives. PlayStation had Infamous, Uncharted, God of War, Heavy Rain, and a slew of remasters that made the purchase simple. I didn't know which games I actually wanted to play, I didn't know much about any of them. But this late in the lifecycle, multiplats plus all these exclusives seemed much more appealing than multiplats plus Halo and Gears.

this needs to be a voice over for sony's next commercial.

What's the difference between X amount of console shipped, and X amount sold to consumers? Why is there a distinction?

And second question; did the PS4 outpace the Wii at any stage because it looks like it's not and for some reason, I always had the impression PS4 was the fastest selling console of all time but looking at the OP, the Wii is beating it?

Freeman

Banned
I hope amir0x lives in shame to this day still.

I also hope 2016 will see PS4 up YOY and it likely will with the onslaught of incredible games being unleashed.

PS4 being up YOY is a given for 2016. Lower price, insane lineup of games(GT Sport, Uncharted 4, Horizon, Dreams, TLG, SFV, No Man's Sky, Persona 5, Yakuza 6, Dragon Quest XI, FFXV, Ni-Oh...) and PSVR releasing in the first half.

Sorc3r3r

No gimmicks needed.

I agree.

Getting old maybe but what i want from a gaming box is that it plays games.
The whole machine must be built to let me play games as fast as possible,as easy as possible.

Right now it's also essential a robust network for having access to all the collateral features of the game i play.

All this for a reasonable price.

Loris146

What's the difference between X amount of console shipped, and X amount sold to consumers? Why is there a distinction?

And second question; did the PS4 outpace the Wii at any stage because it looks like it's not and for some reason, I always had the impression PS4 was the fastest selling console of all time but looking at the OP, the Wii is beating it?

WII had big stock problems for almost a year.

King_Moc

Banned
What a great post. He gets nothing right: PS3 ends up selling 90m units, MGS4 is still a PS3 exclusive to this day, PS3 is know for its great exclusive games, FFXIII is FFXIII, PS4 completely dominates, Xbox sinks.

To be fair to him, when things didn't pan out the way he expected and Microsoft did the things they did, he had no problem going back on them. A lot of people are blinded by loyalty.

If they have PS4 LE bundles for SFV and UC4 I can see them reaching 40 million by the end of March.

Crazy prediction #2 of the year.

Freeman

Banned
To be fair to him, when things didn't pan out the way he expected and Microsoft did the things they did, he had no problem going back on them. A lot of people are blinded by loyalty.

Fair game, in 2009 I had just bought a 360 and didn't even consider getting the PS3. Two years later I had a PS3 and a PSP and was about to get rid of my 360, Sony turn around was beautiful.

Tough guy.

The poster is missing a few features from the XB1 on the PS4, alongside the controller. Is that really enough to confuse you?

edit:
Streaming to a PC, EA Access and backwards compability would all be some nice additions to the PS4, I think. Don't you agree?

Here we go again with the BC...it won't happen because the PS3 was such a bear to program. If we are truly be honest with ourselves BC is a fine little feature but as I sit and play my PS4, I always think I should get back to my PS3 and play (insert game). But I just find myself playing more and more of my PS4 games.

BC may get those leftover 360 people through the door to Xbone, but you'll start to see them play more and more Xbox One games and less 360 games. Fact.

vongruetz

Banned
Can we now put to rest the obsession that "exclusives" sell consoles? Sony did not outsell its competition 3:1 based on exclusives. Establishing an early lead as being "the place to play online" is helping PS4 more than any exclusive ever will.

Exclusives are a nice perk, but they're not the deciding factor in buying a gaming console.

And my second question is: did the PS4 outpace the Wii at any stage? Because looking at the OP Wii is beating it yet I always had the impression PS4 was the fastest selling console of all time?

Not so crazy when that is basically what Sony is predicting themselves ;-)

I mean sold through, not shipped :p

Edit: I'm predicting they increase their PS4 FY sales forecast 1 more time in December and try to ship 41.3 million consoles with 40 million sold by end of March if they do the bundles I mentioned.

Crazy prediction #2 clarified.

Top Bottom