• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has generated approximately $700 million from PC port sales for the last fiscal year

STARSBarry

Gold Member
200.gif
RKwP9vF.gif

nemiroff

Gold Member
“The Great Console War Council”

Setting: A dimly lit room with posters of gaming consoles adorning the walls. Two fanboys, Alex (an Xbox enthusiast) and Sam (a PlayStation devotee), sit across from each other at a round table.

Alex: (leaning forward) “Sam, my friend, we need to address a grave matter. These multiplatform titles are infiltrating our sacred gaming space!”

Sam: (crossing arms) “Alex, you’re overreacting. Multiplatform games bring people together. It’s like a gaming United Nations!”

Alex: (slamming fist on the table) “United Nations? Bah! We’re at war, Sam! Our consoles are like medieval kingdoms, and these multiplatform games are traitors, playing both sides.”

Sam: (rolls eyes) “Alex, calm down. Look, I enjoy my PlayStation exclusives, but I don’t want to ban multiplatform titles. They’re like ambassadors—spreading joy across all realms.”

Alex: (leaning in, whispering) "Sam, have you forgotten the prophecy? ‘When Y’all Compete, We Win.’ Even self-proclaimed PlayStation fanboys are begging Xbox not to go cross-platform!"

Sam: (smirking) “Oh, please. That’s just Phil Spencer’s tweet. Besides, we can’t ignore the Nintendo fanboys—they’re like hermits in their own bubble.”

Alex: (leaning back) "True, but PC players are the worst. They’re like wizards, casting spells with their mods and ultra-high frame rates. They’re the most vocal in this war!"

Sam: (nodding) “Agreed. But let’s not forget, Alex, we’re all gamers. Our love for games transcends platforms. We should unite against real enemies—like lag and microtransactions.”

Alex: (raising an eyebrow) “Fine, Sam. But mark my words: If they dare port ‘The Legend of Zelda’ to Xbox, I’ll—”

Sam: (interrupting) “You’ll what? Write an angry tweet? Alex, let’s focus on what matters: enjoying great games, no matter where they come from.”

And so, the Great Console War Council continued, debating the fate of multiplatform titles. But deep down, both Alex and Sam knew that gaming was about more than exclusivity—it was about shared experiences, epic quests, and the thrill of victory. 🎮✨

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
As long as Sony still sells a console, day 1 will not happen. 6-12 months might be the new norm though.

4 years ago the line was "As long as Sony still sells a console, PC ports will not happen." People here laughed at the very idea. Now we've got an overlay with cross-platform achievements.

I'm not evangelical about it or anything, but I do think we're inching closer towards day one PC, even if it only starts with the PS6 or whatever. The market is only getting bigger harder to ignore, and the sales rates of the PS4 and PS5 is basically identical when by all rights it should be faster.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That game is 9 years old.

Eh, TLoU Part 1 didn't launch on PC day 1 and that was nearly 10 years old when it came out.

They haven't announced the price yet but I would not be surprised of UD is also a $70 remake.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
4 years ago the line was "As long as Sony still sells a console, PC ports will not happen." People here laughed at the very idea. Now we've got an overlay with cross-platform achievements.

I'm not evangelical about it or anything, but I do think we're inching closer towards day one PC, even if it only starts with the PS6 or whatever. The market is only getting bigger harder to ignore, and the sales rates of the PS4 and PS5 is basically identical when by all rights it should be faster.
You're not wrong. I don't think day and date happens with the PS5. That's probably more accurate.

Pelta88

700 Ms from ip that has already run it's "bulk of sales" cycle? That's a lot of money to leave on the table...

Topher

Gold Member

I still have a hard time seeing day one on PC even though I'd love it. Sony has a lot riding on their console ecosystem. Would interesting to see them try though and compare sales day one vs 2+ years later.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Eh, TLoU Part 1 didn't launch on PC day 1 and that was nearly 10 years old when it came out.
I think they knew the PC version needed a lot more time for that one and they couldn't delay it any further because the show was about to end.

I still have a hard time seeing day one on PC even though I'd love it. Sony has a lot riding on their console ecosystem. Would interesting to see them try though and compare sales day one vs 2+ years later.
I'd be surprised if Concord isn't being considered for day 1 this year.

There is zero proof that is or has happened lol don't be like Lieher and spread disinformation.
I literally started with the word "If" . . . I'm not naive enough to assume all profit from one aspect is allocated to one other aspect.
But sounds like this could be what helps with the costs.

willothedog

As long as Sony still sells a console, day 1 will not happen. 6-12 months might be the new norm though.

Imagine how many more units they will sell on PC if they actually had a marketing campaign. It would make sense to launch them both either day 1 or within a few weeks.

drotahorror

Sackboy was a weird choice for a port.

Returnal is great and deserved better.

I feel like Returnal was perfect for PC audience, roguelite, shooter, good graphics etc. I always thought the name was horrible though. But still my favorite PS5 game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
For comparison RE4 on the GCN made 405 million.
And more recently God of War 2018 made 500+million
But those are singular titles on one platform.
But it's extra pocket money I guess.

Last edited:
If you're confident in your prediction then are you willing to make a ban bet with me? Spiderman or God of War on PC on day one?

The loser leaves town bet, and Gaf for good.

I think the next Spiderman is having some sort of GAAS type of element to it so you might not want to take that bet. I think they canceled the Spiderman MP game they had going to add it to Spiderman 3.

JCK75

They are about to bring in a lot more.. GOT was the one I've been waiting for (I was hoping for a sale to get it on PS5 that never came.. but for some reason paid full price on PC..)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yes,I don't get this obsession with simultaneously release for games not meant to be released together. If staggered releases are sufficient in sells then why does Sony need D&D?

One element is that physical games are still outselling digital for most first party titles. eBay and your local second hand stores like CEX in the UK are always chock-full of them, and that's a copy of a game that Sony makes zero money on. They would absolutely love it 100% of their sales were digital.

Ain't no physical releases on PC. If I could buy digital PC day one and never buy another console (which they don't make much money on), I would, for full price - but I'm never buying digitally on Playstation with the way they've handled that stuff in the past. Nobody here has any clue if PS4 games will work on PS6 for example, but a PC is a PC. There's no generational stopgap where they can arbitrarily say that old games won't work any more.

yazenov

I think the next Spiderman is having some sort of GAAS type of element to it so you might not want to take that bet. I think they canceled the Spiderman MP game they had going to add it to Spiderman 3.

Nah I'm confident and willing to bet that the next Spiderman or God of War will not be on PC day one. Sony is not dumb enough to follow MS's tactics and devalue their console to chase after short-term profits.

If their console sales are tanking then I could see a shift in strategy. But not anytime soon.

zapper

considering that helldivers 2 contributed largely to this result, these figures don't seem sensational

tommib

I feel like Returnal was perfect for PC audience, roguelite, shooter, good graphics etc. I always thought the name was horrible though. But still my favorite PS5 game.
Returnal’s difficulty killed it. That’s what I think about it. It’s just too hard.

Top Bottom