• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY needs to change the controller for the PS4

It's perfect the way it is.

Something something first post. The controller better stay the same till the day Playstation dies. Remember last time when they got stupid ideas and thought about changing the controller?
PS3_boomerang_controller+E3+2006.jpg

Tellaerin

The analog placement makes no sense, since it was basically a shoehorned in after they were ''inspired'' by the N64.

It makes perfect sense. When my hands are holding the DS in a relaxed position, both my thumbs rest over the analogs. The rest position of my left thumb isn't higher than my right.

Asymmetrical stick placement and the awful d-pad are the two biggest problems with the X360 controllers, IMO.

Should have changed at least the form factor with the PS3 tbh. The one thing I want changed for the 360 controller would be the D-pad and I would be happy. With the DS3 I would want the triggers, form factor, and at least the nubs of the sticks changed... I remember I would always have to stop running in PS2 games or put my right thumb on the left stick to keep the stick position until I repositioned my left thumb when it was slipping.

Zierath

I'll be very disappointed if they don't. It was fine in 1997, but really the basic shape and layout needs to be rethought. It's not terribly comfortable and the sticks are too close together.

Things that need to change on the Sony controller:

1) Sticks - at least put the left one on top. A d-pad is better suited to be on the bottom because you don't need to worry as much about your thumb's orientation to it.

2) Triggers - I think everyone can agree on this one. 360 and GCN shoulder buttons were much better.

3) D-Pad - Copy Sega or Nintendo's dpad somehow (apparently they're patented?). At least it's better than 360's (which isn't saying much).

I also wouldn't mind a bit more bulk.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I'll be very disappointed if they don't. It was fine in 1997, but really the basic shape and layout needs to be rethought. It's not terribly comfortable and the sticks are too close together.

It's the IOS controller design of console controllers. Works well but it damn needs a change already. Can't believe people say it's perfect... It is not. The layout needs a change

BossLackey

Gold Member
I completely agree with OP

It's an outdated design, and it served it's purpose, but it just doesn't cut the mustard on a few levels. Namely, playing a shooter just doesn't work nearly as well as the 360, the controller of which is quite a bit better in many aspects. I don't even own an XBox anymore, all Sony for me, but they could really benefit from looking at their Western competition.

Satchel

Banned
Makes more sense than the 360 placement.

Actually no. Your thumb naturally sits where the left stick is on the 360 pad. That's why that stick was put there. Your left thumb doesn't sit naturally with the dualshock.

You may be used to it, yes, but that in no way makes it right. At all. Not one bit.

I disagree. DS3 dpad is the best dpad in a home console now. Currently the overall best Dpad is in the vita. I'm sure (hope) sony uses that for the next DS
I agree, but that's not going to change the minds of people who think the DS3's dpad is too rigid. In fact, they'd probably cry.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The analog sticks are completely inexcusable at this point. They were bad by the tail end of the last gen, but the giant variable dead zone is so awful compared to the far more responsive sticks on the 360 and the Wii nunchuk. Having them on the interior of the controller and parallel to one another is also terrible; move that left stick to the D-pad location already. Redo the triggers so they aren't seemingly custom built to make your fingers slip off them without a third party add-on, too.

Honestly, I have never liked the PlayStation controller, even from day one of the PSone. I'd prefer a full overhaul of the entire design, but the controller shape is so iconic I doubt Sony is willing to change its silhouette much.

B.O.O.M. said:
DS3 dpad is the best dpad in a home console now.

Only if you don't have the spinny-Dpad 360 controller, which granted is a lot to pay for a decent Dpad. Stick the Vita Dpad on the PS4 controller and I'd be happy with that aspect of it, at least.

Zuly

Make the analogs slightly bigger and fix the triggers.

That's all I want.

I personally like the size. I have small hands. :3

PS4 pack in stock pad needs to be 2 greatly improved and totally redesigned Move controllers that break apart for independent control and attach at the center to form a standard dual analog controller. The idea that a 2013-2020+ console should ship with a bog standard slightly redesigned dual analog controller is moronic. Selling a stand alone "Classic/Pro" controller is way too easy.
Thank you. Way too many people are resistant to change for no reason.

Grim1ock

Banned
3) D-Pad - Copy Sega or Nintendo's dpad somehow (apparently they're patented?). At least it's better than 360's (which isn't saying much).

sony D pad is perfect as it is. No need to change it. Miles better than the 360 one where fighting moves/ combos is virtually impossible

Actually no. Your thumb naturally sits where the left stick is on the 360 pad. That's why that stick was put there. Your left thumb doesn't sit naturally with the dualshock.

You may be used to it, yes, but that in no way makes it right. At all. Not one bit.
then you will need to reach for the dpad.hell no outta here with that.

cgcg

isnt concave better so you can have better thumb grip?

I'll just copy & paste.

Yep, in theory it sounds good if you can keep your thumbs on the nub dead center at all times but in reality as soon as you start moving the stick you are pretty much just touching the ring edge. Pretty much renders the concave depression useless.

Foxix Von

It's perfect the way it is.

Bingo. The triggers could perhaps do with some tweaking in the shape but I actually like the way they feel. The looseness of the sticks is delightful and easy to use and the dead zone is miniscule. The controller is a damn work of art on a mechanical level. Redesigning for comfort would be alright though as long as they keep the symmetrical sticks. The d-pad is great for what it is but going into the future a vita pad would make it the greatest controller ever constructed. Also the vibration feedback is a dream, no other controller has rumble as good as a DS3.

The DS is just too small, the analog sticks are loose, and playing FPS games on it is just impossible for me. It works well for 2d games but more and more developers are staring to use dual analogs for all their games and they fell out of place. The 360 controller feels much better in every aspect, especially the one with the slide out Dpad.

Agreed with both of those reasons, and I'll add that the triggers are idiotically designed.. DS is the absolute worst current controller. But I'd say controllers are the least of Sony's worries at the moment.

Corto

Also change the shape of the top of the stick to something like this:

url]

Exactly what I would like for them to do. Better triggers (concave curvature) and sticks with an also concave surface. I like the position of the sticks the way they are. The D Pad is ace and the whole form factor of the controller is nice to hold in my hands.

Mikey Jr.

The DS is just too small, the analog sticks are loose, and playing FPS games on it is just impossible for me. It works well for 2d games but more and more developers are staring to use dual analogs for all their games and they fell out of place. The 360 controller feels much better in every aspect, especially the one with the slide out Dpad.

NAH.

Gustav

Banned
How the hell do people make their thumbs touch on the DS3? The sticks are convex for a reason. You push them, not pull.

Mr.Green

It's an atrocity as far as I'm concerned but their fans are used to it so they can't just radically change it.

As long as there are good third party alternatives available close to release I'll be happy.

Satchel

Banned
then you will need to reach for the dpad.hell no outta here with that.

What? You rarely if ever use the dpad this day and age.

If you play fighting games with it, you're already on fail street anyway. The "fighting game" argument fails horribly for dpads given anyone who is even remotely serious about them owns an arcade stick.

Wrong. Your thumb naturally rests exactly in between the d-pad and the joystick. It takes just as much effort to move it from one direction to the other.

I found the comfort level of both placements to be exactly the same. The difference we're talking here is like an inch. I'll never understand how people can find such a negligible difference such a huge deal because it simply isn't.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm with op. One of the worst, playable, controllers of all time. Obviously it can't compete with shit like the 5200 controllers, but I hate everything about the controller. The thing feels cheap and flimsy, the sunken d-pac sucks, the analog sticks feel loose, the triggers suck, and the buttons don't have enough resistance.

Carl

So why isn't the right stick there? ;)

My thumbs have always naturally gone onto the sticks.

People asking for Concave sticks for the next controller are probably going to be disappointed if the Vita is an indication of Sony's preference.

To be honest, I highly doubt they will change anything regarding the form of the controller.

Opiate

I'd remake the entire thing. It's so stagnant and boring. Scrap the entire thing and try something new. This may mean motion control, or something with a lot more buttons, or something with a lot less. All I can say is that the current controller is creating stagnant game design that doesn't really appeal to me, and I'm unlikely to get a next generation system as a consequence.

Ranger X

I really don't have any problem with the controller and would be happy with only maybe minor tweaks. It's really a great controller design, I don't see the 360 one as clearly superior.

If you play fighting games with it, you're already on fail street anyway. The "fighting game" argument fails horribly for dpads given anyone who is even remotely serious about them owns an arcade stick.
no. i prefer a pad for fighters even when serious.i cant play with sticks and it doesnt feel as satisfying. why should i need to buy a sick when its not my fault if a pad has a crappy dpad. also dont forget 2d side scrollers.

Omikaru

Current controller is fine for the kinds of games PS3 has. The only change I'd make is the triggers; they're too damn slippery!

Corto

You use it to select weapons/tools/different spells in numerous games. The D Pad on the 360 controller makes me sometimes select a different item than the one I actually wanted. It's unreliable. It doesn't happen every time but it happens enough to be inconvenient.

megamerican

I remember having my mindblown when I got upgraded to the Dual Shock in 98/99. Such a revelation. Now it's a relic. My hands are too big for it. The analog sticks have no grip. And the triggers are poop from a butt.

Sony needs to fix their SHIT big time.

Top Bottom