• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s Time for Sony to Bring Back Killzone and Resistance - IGN

Killjoy-NL

Horizon is the same, the amount of lore is absolutely staggering and you have to go into yt channels to check it unless you like to read all the text files around the world (similar to reading books in skyrim i guess)

I think the helghast are still the baddies overall because of their methods and being ruthless, but it's way more grey than what dumbass rico think...
Yeah, edited my previous post with some of the lore (I'm bored lol).

Story is really something GG needs to work on a lot more.
It's not the ideas, but the implementation that is holding their games back.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I completed all Resistance games. 2 wasn't great but I enjoyed 1 and 3 a lot and 2 was ....fine?

Killzone 3 was sick!

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Sony has so many good IP’s that they’ve just let die. It’s time to go back to the well.

Resistance
Killzone
Syphon Filter
Legend of Dragoon
Dark Cloud
Warhawk
Socom
Motorstorm
Sly Cooper
Ape Escape
Jet Moto
Everybody’s Golf (Hot Shots Golf)
Twisted Metal
Parappa the Rapper
Medievil
Jak/Daxter

But sadly they won’t, unless they can somehow add a “sad dad” angle to them.

Last edited:

Hypereides

Gold Member
Abso-fucking-lutely. For once I agree with IGN on something. Bring back the Resistance series. Continue it from where it left off with Resistance 4. I remember the good ol' days playing the R:FoM MP with the GAF clan.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

The amount of times I have mentioned here about bringing these bangers back, even a new gritty FPS would be great.

This is more of an issue of fans of the series wanting it back rather than Sony needing them to return.

That and while not a FPS, HD2 and Returnal are two incredible shooters has right now.

bender

What time is it?
8sw2xo.jpg

Absofuckinglutely. Same with SOCOM.

Killzone and Resistance were fucking awesome. I actually just replayed Killzone 2/3, and Resistance Fall of Man in the past few weeks. Currently going back through Resistance 2 now.

Don't worry though guys, after playing them all as well as Gears 1-3 I'm sure we will get ports of all 3 franchises soon as this always happens to me.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
The fact that we didn't get any remasters of these games during the PS4 generation is kinda crazy.

Surely Sony knows many players went from PS2 to 360 and skipped the PS3.

Wouldn't mind some multiplayer from either of these. Resistance 2 had 64 player PVP & 8 player coop and Killzone had that cool Warzone concept which the objective changing during a round instead of staying the same. I'd even take a collection without multiplayer though to be fair. I've tried Killzone 2 emulated at 4K, only really needs a texture upgrade, post processing quality boost, and 60fps to muscle in with todays shooters

There was a Resistance 3?

Got Resistance 2 for free after the big PSN hack back in 2011, but couldnt get into it.

R1 multiplayer was my go-to game at launch though.

Aye there was. Set after the war so is less bombastic and a little more atmospheric. Single player was pretty good but mp was naff in comparison to 2. It's on PS+ Premium if streaming works for you.

Fbh

Wouldn't mind Killzone coming back.
Specially if they make it in the style of 2 (as opposed to Shadowfall)

Sorry, it's impossible. The aliens in Resistance game aren't non-binary

Also the Helghast wear helmets so it will be hard to show how diverse their army is

NickFire

They should make a first person SOCOM. Make the campaign US missions against military forces within theocracies, China, Russia, Cuba and North Korea. Make multiplayer the same factions.

Robb

Gold Member
I wouldn’t mind more Killzone. Not sure if I need more of Resistance, but I’d be open to it.. And I would much rather see them do a new Resistance then get stuck only doing Marvel games.

Last edited:

chilichote

I'm all for it, Killzone, and the PSP/Vita games too, are absolutely great!

I've only played part 3 of Resistance and the Vita game, which is also great.

But I'm waiting much longer for a new G-Police and Colony Wars. Also happy to have a remake^^

Codes 208

Gold Member
Killzone for sure, like i mentioned before, with halo constantly shitting the bed we need another AAA fps to fill in the gap.

It and helldivers could be the one two punch to bring xbox players to ps

I'm conflicted. Killzone 2 and 3 were incredible games, start to finish. Killzone ShadowFall was immense until after level 3 when it looked like they tried giving a horror a go (and did very well) but then ran out of ideas and just put you in a bullet storm.

Resistance I re-played recently aaaaaaaaanddddddddd it's just not a great game to be honest. I died so much because I couldn't jump over railings or certain fucking obstacles. Despite being able to clear the railings with a jump on some stairs, I still couldn't move past the invisible box and proceeded to get Auger'd from below and above. In the PS3 generation, I was very much about these games. Resistance 1 was a fun title, nothing ground breaking. Resistance 2 had a great multi-player and a sweet and sour story mode. Probably because of the pressure of being the 'Halo killer' that every PlayStation shooter (such as Haze) was. Resistance 3 confused me a bit at first because I thought Capelli looks nothing like this but the story turned out to be quite good. The multi-player this time round, was awful.

So if they bring Killzone back, it needs due care and attention. If they bring Resistance back, it needs to be impressive.

Honestly, I'd rather they get a really experienced team and give MAG another go.

Kydd BlaZe

Oh mannnnnn. I'd LOVE at least a Killzone and Resistence Remaster Collection.

I'd lose my shit if we got a new Killzone more in the style of the war-torn, grittiness of Killzone 1 & 2. Also, just imagining a new Resistence with the visual fidelity of Rift Apart would be absolutely insane.

Kssio_Aug

Both were great, but let these IPs rest in peace. Better not to bring them back just to fuck them up. As a matter of fact, Killzone Shadow Fall wasn't already as good as Killzone 2 and 3 were on PS3.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Kill zone yes. Resistance no.
I really enjoyed the first Resistance. The sequels were trying too hard to be like Halo and Call of Duty, at the same time. All while being poorly made. The resolution/Image Quality of R2 might be the worst I ever saw that generation.

LordOfChaos

Both were great, but let these IPs rest in peace. Better not to bring them back just to fuck them up. As a matter of fact, Killzone Shadow Fall wasn't already as good as Killzone 2 and 3 were on PS3.

Shadowfall seemed like it was little but a tech demo for the PS4, impressive at first but quite thin.

I think there's a lot they can still do with the franchise, whether a reboot, prequel, other stories etc. I don't think anyone would mind terribly badly if Shadowfall was retconned.

Last edited:

JCreasy

I’ve been asking for a new Killzone for years now. A legit sequel, maybe ever several generations after Shadow Fall. New politics. New characters.

LFG!!! 🔥🔥🔥

4 Reasons NOW is the Best Time to Bring Back Killzone (also, my development wishlist)

1. Decima -- The most recent showing of the Decima engine in the last Death Stranding 2 trailer was absolutely stunning. I still remember seeing that flooded river rush toward the screen and destroy a bridge in the process. It's been obvious to everyone that Guerrilla's technical prowess is world class and what they're able to produce for open-world games is absolutely incredible. Imagine what that engine could do in a more limited scope, scaling back to the single-player environments of the Killzone games.

2. Kojima Production -- Given the special relationship Guerrilla has with Kojima Productions, they would be in a position to call in a favor and potentially ask to borrow Yoji Shinikawa for the character designs. His eye for detail would be a great fit for the Killzone aesthetic. It would freshen and elevate the IP. PlayStation Studios could market the collaboration, giving old fans a new reason to return to the franchise.

3. Bungie -- Another key relationship Guerrilla could leverage is Bungie. One of the biggest criticisms of the original Killzone games back in the day was the feel of shooting. It was often compared to Xbox's Halo as Bungie was considered the experts in the space. Fast forward to today and Bungie is now part of the Sony family. In the same way Naughty Dog consulted with Bungie about their now-cancelled Factions project, Guerrilla could leverage Bungie's expertise to help tune a new Killzone project. Bungie's institutional knowledge could optimize the shooting experience in a new Killzone which would position the new project to compete directly with the best shooters on the market.

4. 3Lateral -- Guerrilla has long been clients of 3Lateral and now would be the best time to take advantage of their latest tech. Their new 4D ml rigs produce the highest fidelity character faces in both skin textures and animation. This is evident in Hellblade 2 and the GDC demo debuting 1943: Rise of Hydra. Guerrilla put 3Lateral's 3D rigs to great use in Horizon Forbidden West. Utilizing the highest fidelity 4D rig tech would help burnish a new Killzone's AAA bonafides and immediately generate high interest -- an instant PR boon.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

Would love new Killzone. Couldn't give less of a fuck about Resistance, I found them to be barely passing as 'decent.' I'd replay Shadow Fall 10 times before I bothered replaying any of the Resistance games.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Plenty of shooters already I'd much rather them bring back Legend of Dragoon. Even a remake, but preferably a sequel or prequel.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

meh on killzone but id sure love a new resistance! I don't see insomniac doing anything other than spider-man for a long time though

Top Bottom