• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s Time for Sony to Bring Back Killzone and Resistance - IGN

Frwrd

That's what always bugged me.

The lore was great, but it was hidden on the official website for Killzone 1.

The Helghan company was the first to colonize planets. They colonized a planet next to Helghan (Vekta) and worked on Helghan.
But they were like a gateway for intergalactic trade and got into a political dispute with Earth as they became too powerful economically.
So the ISA were sent in to take over Helghan. The Helghast lost the first war and were treated like shit and forced to live on Helghan, where they evolved to adapt to the harsh environment. Then KZ1 started with the Helghast preparing to reclaim Vekta, which was rightfully theirs.
Basically, the ISA are the bad guys. Or at least, it was all grey instead of B/W and the ISA being the heroes.

GG should've put way more effort into the lore, but that was one of the main complaints about the franchise.
Long Live the Helghast!

Sintoid

I never understand how games that were put on ice because of lack of sales could come back and sell
I think nostalgia is a very bad thing capable to deform most of our memories

ahtlas7

Solar Eclipse GIF by NASA
It finally happened. I agree with ign?!. What is this alignment?

These two games also had really interesting and well done multiplayer modes. Especially Killzone 2 and Resistance 1/2. That's what is annoying. Sony has this roster of dead IP with great, unique MP. SOCOM, Killzone, Resistance, MAG, Warhawk. Maybe not all those games would be big hits these days, but they have a better chance at finding an audience than another hero shooter but with pronouns and a garbage can robot.
Yep... this was the last era (outside of bf4/cod/ ww2/War thunder) I really played MP games. I'd dip back in if these released (and had killer single player of course, I aint doing no Gaas killzone/resistance) .

I'd love either of these. Resurrect Infamous as well, or at least put all these games on PS5 in trilogy forms. It sucks that so many good fps are stuck on PS3. Its like they are ashamed of those, in their mind, "toxic masculinity games" or some shit. Why else would they not get the quick buck in a remaster port?

Resistance 2 was cool, specially the multiplayer. But KZ2 and 3 were more interesting to me, both story and art style.

Also, I really liked how unique KZ2 gameplay was, on 3 they made it more "CoD like" and it was also fun, but I liked 2 more.

I would love a new Killzone game and I hope that they learned that almost everything they did on Shadow Fall was terrible.
What was up with shadowfall? It didn't feel like killzone at all. Something was really odd about it. It had crisp graphics but it wasn't fun.

you know what was fun in the Killzone universe. Killzone Mercenary for the vita. That game was amazing and we will never see it on console as they killed the side studio who made it.

Would love to see a new Resistance or Killzone. Sadly it will never happen. They are to masculine for today‘s Sony who wants to make sure female characters like Alloy rule the games they make. Hulst is obsessed with Alloy and Horizon and will make sure that’s all you get for a good while longer. Sad but true.

Last edited:

Drew1440

I'd like to see a modern port to the PS5, with 4K HDR and the sixaxis crap patched out.
No remakes or sequels please, I don't trust modern Sony and the mythic modern audience.

nial

Gold Member
Sony has so many good IP’s that they’ve just let die. It’s time to go back to the well.

Resistance
Killzone
Syphon Filter
Legend of Dragoon
Dark Cloud
Warhawk
Socom
Motorstorm
Sly Cooper
Ape Escape
Jet Moto
Everybody’s Golf (Hot Shots Golf)
Twisted Metal
Parappa the Rapper
Medievil
Jak/Daxter

But sadly they won’t, unless they can somehow add a “sad dad” angle to them.
When fans of these games start acting like this, I'm kinda happy with all of them remaining dead.
I do need Ape Escape and Everybody's Golf (even though this one isn't really that dead) out of that list.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Gold Member
This is why we need Sony to have a Legacy Patch studio to at least bridge some of this stuff, imagine having KillZone Shadowfall with a PS5 patch that gets rid of the 960x1080 rendering in multiplayer, give it native 4k or even 120fps, same for games like inFAMOUS.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Yep. I’ll gladly take either.

Prefer Killzone.

Edit: fuck that. Socom please. Fuuuuuuck I want something so bad.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
A remaster of the PS3 Killzone and Resistance games would be amazing.

I really fucking miss Resistance: FOM and Killzone 2. Those were two outstanding FPS games.

SHA

I remember a journalist asking a guerrilla games dev when they revealed shadow fall "Is it a generic shooter game?", this question is straight up to let these people down, journalists should watch what they say or we may never see the light again from these people, seriously.

Would love to see a new Resistance or Killzone. Sadly it will never happen. They are to masculine for today‘s Sony who wants to make sure female characters like Alloy rule the games they make. Hulst is obsessed with Alloy and Horizon and will make sure that’s all you get for a good while longer. Sad but true.
Resistance: To MEN

starring Aloy

OIG4.f_UGMAciq35q6.__iEG1

I think they are right about Sony lacking their own FPS while having an unused Killzone IP. They had a perfect Killzone MP arena (ish) game: it was Killzone Shadow Fall MP which was pure fun with interesting gameplay (and great map design).

They never should have let that game die. I would have being thrilled by a new Killzone SF MP game on PS5 based on the PS4 game (instead of that awful Concord). Forget the trash SP Killzone game and just focus on a new MP game Guerrilla!

Kurimao

Why not both?

NV0uF90.jpeg

A new Resistance in 3rd person camera would be nice. Think LOU in full alien invasion.

Also remake Killzone 1-3, then release it on PC after a year or two.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Sony has so many good IP’s that they’ve just let die. It’s time to go back to the well...

But sadly they won’t, unless they can somehow add a “sad dad” angle to them.
hence, the interest in killzone/resistance - lots of 'sad dad' possibilities...

& forget 'remasters'. i still can't believe that the original resistance trilogy, published by sony, isn't on their own ps3 store...

EDMIX

Gold Member
...nahhhh

I love those IP and even I just want those teams to move on.

Have Bluepoint give us a Killzone 2 remake or Killzone 1 remake after their original game, thats as far as I want any of this to go lol

Resistance sucked, Killzone had potentilal but they ruined it quick. KZ 2 is underrated and a great game but then they went the COD route for KZ 3.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The current situation is about characters, women focused single player games and sadly multiple shooters (mgo, socom, uncharted mp etc.) aren’t around anymore. I think call of duty convinced people it’s the go to multiplayer.

Sony is clearly a victim of their own success.

You don't get nearly as much push back for Nintendo and Microsoft or even Valve... or any company for that matter..

Where is Legacy of Kain, Metroid Prime, Project Gotham Racing, or Castlevania?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
We gonna get Halo soon. We don't need Killzone and Resistance anymore. And lets be real, they were mid games anyway.

Killzone 2 MP is better than any Halo MP since 3. And to be fair, it is miles better than KZ3 and Shadowfall MP too. Halo post Reach is the definition of "mid", and I liked the open world side missions in Infinite more than most people. And unlike 91% of players as of last glance (March), I actually finished that murderously monotonous campaign. I played through Halo 5 twice, for some reason.

Resistance - Only ever played Bend's PSP game. How or why this didn't get a quick and dirty PS4 collection defies logic.

Killzone - A multiplayer remaster with all maps from every game, that uses KZ2's scoring, rewards, and progression system. A necessary update would be to provide actual unlocks / rewards between 10K and 100K XP. That would be sweet.

pasterpl

Killzone not so much but Resistance I really liked.❤️ Sony got some really good IPs from previous gens but seems to be stuck with 3-4 that they make sequels to/remaster them, or Make remakes/enhanced versions of these.

Last edited:
These games did get a lot of stick back then for not being Cod/Halo/Gears and we've had multiple entries of each and even a PS4 Killzone game that fell flat. Tired IPs that never really caught the imagination, I don't think they should try to inject new life into these well worn games.

IGN are on the right track for the first time in its history though, Sony should look at a new flagship FPS IP, try to make something gritty of higher quality. they have the teams and standing/sales from other games and should try to maximize a strong position.

Really they should already be doing it, perhaps they are and it's still to be announced as games take a long time now. Saying we hear you today and they release something 2030 isn't good. I hope AI can really advance so we can get bigger scope games in 2-3 years.

Last edited:

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
These games did get a lot of stick back then for not being Cod/Halo/Gears and we've had multiple entries of each and even a PS4 Killzone game that fell flat. Tired IPs that never really caught the imagination, I don't think they should try to inject new life into these well worn games.

IGN are on the right track for the first time in its history though, Sony should look at a new flagship FPS IP, try to make something gritty of higher quality. they have the teams and standing/sales from other games and should try to maximize a strong position.

Really they should already be doing it, perhaps they are and it's still to be announced as games take a long time now. Saying we hear you today and they release something 2030 isn't good. I hope AI can really advance so we can get bigger scope games in 2-3 years.
Can't speak for Resistance, but Killzone's precise problem was when the multiplayer was malformed into shit to chase the COD crowd.

KZ2 - 1.5x XP multiplier for winning. 0 XP multiplier for losing. Guess what people did in Warzone. They tried to win every time, and it was fun as hell.

KZ3 - 1.5x XP multiplier for winning. 1.375x XP multiplier for losing.. I'll give you one guess what most people stopped attempting to accomplish.

Similar story for Halo, Battlefield, and most anything else that isn't a single elimination per round objective shooter (CS, Siege, etc).

I'll give Epic credit - they invented a way for people to ignore the primary goal of killing opponents and instead reward people for dancing on giant toilets. Never saw that one coming.

An amalgamation of Killzone multiplayer games that strictly follows KZ2's structure would be great. We are obviously not getting any more Enemy Territory games, or a universe where people capture flags in domination modes in mainstream shooters, so this is the best to hope for at the moment.

Top Bottom