• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Who are you talking about Sony or Microsoft wanting the deals for a change? Because Sony has Destiny, COD, Red Dead Redemption 2 and most likely Star Wars Battlefront(only because of Disney won't let EA give it to Microsoft).

Sony probably wants some actual meaningful exclusives next holiday is what I am saying.

They normally try and avoid major 1th party releases during the busy season but I can see / hope that will change next year with a competitor dropping new HW

Well, since we're going to start listing possible release dates, here's mine.

September 2017: God Of War
October 2017: Detroit: Become Human
December 2017: GT Sport
February 2018: Days Gone
September 2018: The Last Of Us Part 2
October 2018: Spider-Man PS4

I will admit some of these are my wishful thinking, haha. Although, I'm not sure why so many expect Spider-Man so soon, we haven't even seen a gameplay trailer yet.

I really think God of War is coming March 2018. Sony seems like they want to keep their big hitters away from the holidays now. And I'm also assuming because of precedent (every mainline GoW game has released in March)

December for GT? I don't know, I see it coming October or November. Probably earlier.

Days Gone will be an early 2018 game at the latest, but I think they'll try to get it out for 2017.

Sony probably wants some actual meaningful exclusives next holiday is what I am saying.

They normally try and avoid major 1th party releases during the busy season but I can see / hope that will change next year with a competitor dropping new HW
They won't and they honestly shouldn't. Neither should Microsoft

I was just thinking how The Last Guardian really kicks off a nice stretch of first party games and high-profile third party exclusives.

*=first party

December: The Last Guardian*
January: Gravity Rush 2*, Tales of Berseria
February: Horizon Zero Dawn*, Nioh
March: MLB 17*, Nier: Automata
April: Persona 5

What a monstrous start to 2017 from Sony. I wonder what's going to make the back half of the year. Detroit, GT, Dreams and Days Gone seem to be the most likely suspects.

And to chime in on Sucker Punch, I think they're about as much of a sure thing for E3 as Bend and Santa Monica were this year. I'd expect it and Bloodborne 2 to get announced there.

Add Kingdom Heart 2.8 for January and 1.5+2.5 if a re-release counts. I think there is a Yakuza game in there as well.

Zukkoyaki

Didn't Media Molecule recently open a second office? It'll be interesting to see how they utilize it here in the next couple of years. The general thought seems to be that they're assisting with Dreams but I think there's potential they could develop a project of their own. Look at Tearaway, it was made by like 17 people. I could see a set up where Media Molecule's main office handles larger projects while their second office develops charming and creative smaller games perhaps for PSN that can generate some additional revenue.

Those third party partnerships will do more for Sony.

Didn't Media Molecule recently open a second office? It'll be interesting to see how they utilize it here in the next couple of years. The general thought seems to be that they're assisting with Dreams but I think there's potential they could develop a project of their own. Look at Tearaway, it was made by like 17 people. I could see a set up where Media Molecule's main office handles larger projects while their second office develops charming and creative smaller games perhaps for PSN that can generate some additional revenue.

That second office was just opened to reduce the commute for some of their current employees. It looks tiny from the picture I saw.

I don't think the term second party exist at least not officially

No it doesn't but I think it's a useful bit of nomenclature.

If a developer is owned by the publisher they can tell them to drop whatever they are working on to develop something else. If they were just hired for a game it's a different relationship.

I think it's useful in video game discussions to distinguish between the two.

So basically it's second party

How many times do I need to say this?

Spider-Man. Is. First. Party.

Second party isn't even a real term, nor does it even have a consistent definition.

No it doesn't but I think it's a useful bit of nomenclature.

If a developer is owned by the publisher they can tell them to drop whatever they are working on to develop something else. If they were just hired for a game it's a different relationship.

I think it's useful in video game discussions to distinguish between the two.

It really isn't because different people have different definitions. If you want to distinguish between internal or external studios, just use those terms. It makes way more sense.

SamNW

How many times do I need to say this?

Spider-Man. Is. First. Party.

Second party isn't even a real term, nor does it even have a consistent definition.

It really isn't because different people have different definitions. If you want to distinguish between internal or external studios, just use those terms. It makes way more sense.
I've always thought the distinction was merely:

1st Party = developed and published internally
2nd Party = developed entirely or primarily externally, published internally
3rd Party = developed and published externally

In reality there's no such thing as second party games. They are really first party. People just use that term to help distinguish externally developed games.

I think a big publisher like Sega originally coined the term. Maybe during the launch of Dreamcast. But it's not real terminology.

truth411

In reality there's no such thing as second party games. They are really first party. People just use that term to help distinguish externally developed games.

I think a big publisher like Sega originally coined the term. Maybe during the launch of Dreamcast. But it's not real terminology.
Never heard of 2nd party games, but 2nd party developers like Insomniac was back in the days.

Icolin

Banned
Here's my layout for Sony's first party release window, post Q1 (including games that are exclusive to PS3/PS4, only have PS4 as the announced platform, and HD Remasters):

Summer 2017:
Parappa HD (maybe launched during E3?), Wipeout Collection in July, Crash Trilogy in late August/early September

Fall 2017:
GT Sport, Detroit, Dreams (big push at PGW/Gamescom/conference following E3), Knack 2, with LocoRoco, Patapon HD and Drawn To Death most likely launching during or shortly after PSX 2017, with UnJammer Lammy, LocoRoco 2, and Patapon 2+3 remasters announced for 2018/2019 at PSX.

Early 2018: Ni No Kuni 2 in January (first Ni No Kuni launched in January 2013), Bloodborne 2/next FromSoftware PS4 exclusive in March, God of War in May

Summer 2018: Infamous Collection released during E3 following the blowout reveal of Sucker Punch's game, smaller games such as Pixelopus' next game released, Days Gone in August/early September 2018

Fall 2018: Spider-Man, Sucker Punch's new IP, small downloadable Sony Japan supervised game ala Tokyo Jungle, Rain, etc to round out the year

Early 2019: A third party PS4 exclusive or externally developed game based on a first party IP (my gut tells me that a Wild Arms reboot is happening, or maybe a new Sly Cooper to coincide with whenever that new movie comes out, ala Ratchet and Clank 2016) in January/February, TLOU2 in April-ish

Between Early and Fall 2019: Wild and whatever else that hasn't been announced or even remotely hinted at (probably more PSN digital games akin to Entwined, etc).

Fall 2019: Death Stranding, maybe TLOU2 is delayed, Toyama/Gravity Rush team's next game, new Ratchet and Clank

As for unannounced HD collections, there might be a chance that Infamous Collection (Infamous 1+2 with DLC, Infamous Second Son+ First Light and Demon's Souls will be announced alongside the reveals of the new games by Sucker Punch and FromSoftware, and released 2-3 months prior to their new games; it's worth noting that Bluepoint has been radio silent for nearly a year now, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved in one of those two remasters I just mentioned.

Fairly realistic, I guess.

My (realistic) Release Date Predictions:
Summer 2017 Uncharted Lost Legeacy (End of MP Road Map is Spring)
Autumn 2017 Detroit
Fall 2017 GT Sport / Knack 2 (still can't believe)

Spring 2018 God of War / Dreams (Game is MIA, probably getting VR support)
Summer 2018 Days Gone
Fall 2018 Spider-Man

Spring 2019 The Last of Us Part 2
Summer 2019 Sucker Punch???
Fall 2019 Death Stranding

Here's my layout for Sony's first party release window, post Q1 (including games that are exclusive to PS3/PS4, only have PS4 as the announced platform, and HD Remasters):

Summer 2017:
Parappa HD (maybe launched during E3?), Wipeout Collection in July, Crash Trilogy in late August/early September

Fall 2017:
GT Sport, Detroit, Dreams, Knack 2, with LocoRoco and Patapon HD most likely launched during or shortly after PSX 2017, with UnJammer Lammy, LocoRoco 2, and Patapon 2+3 announced for 2018/2019.

Early 2018: Ni No Kuni 2 in January (first Ni No Kuni launched in January 2013), Bloodborne 2/next FromSoftware PS4 exclusive in March, God of War in May

Summer 2018: Infamous Collection released during E3 following the blowout reveal of Sucker Punch's game, smaller games such as Pixelopus' next game released, Days Gone in August/early September 2018

Fall 2018: Spider-Man, Sucker Punch's new IP, small downloadable Sony Japan supervised game ala Tokyo Jungle, Rain, etc to round out the year

Early 2019: A third party PS4 exclusive or externally developed game based on a first party IP (my gut tells me that a Wild Arms reboot is happening) in January/February, TLOU2 in April-ish

Fall 2019: Death Stranding, maybe TLOU2 is delayed, Toyama/Gravity Rush team's next game

As for unannounced HD collections, there might be a chance that Infamous Collection (Infamous 1+2 with DLC, Infamous Second Son+ First Light and Demon's Souls will be announced alongside the reveals of the new games by Sucker Punch and FromSoftware, and released 2-3 months prior to their new games; it's worth noting that Bluepoint has been radio silent for nearly a year now, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved in one of those two remasters I just mentioned.

Fairly realistic, I guess.

I can't see dreams as Fall 2017 game. It has gotten very little promotion so far. Sony doesn't generally push their games out like that.

Icolin

Banned
I can't see dreams as Fall 2017 game. It has gotten very little promotion so far. Sony doesn't generally push their games out like that. They did with LBP3 and it didn't work.

I think they'll have a conference at PGW next year, and I think that's another way to push Dreams and Detroit. I think Dreams, Drawn to Death and Wild are three games that are gonna be interesting to watch how Sony handles them, and not overexposing them like NMS, or sending them out to die like Guns Up.

My (realistic) Release Date Predictions:
Summer 2017 Uncharted Lost Legeacy
Autumn 2017 Detroit
Fall 2017 GT Sport / Knack 2 (still can't believe)

Spring 2018 God of War / Dreams
Summer 2018 Days Gone
Fall 2018 Spider-Man

Spring 2019 The Last of Us Part 2
Summer 2019 Sucker Punch???
Fall 2019 Death Stranding

Why is Sucker Punch being penciled in for 2019? Just because it hasn't been revealed yet doesn't mean it is that far away.

I think they'll have a conference at PGW next year, and I think that's another way to push Dreams and Detroit. I think Dreams, Drawn to Death and Wild are three games that are gonna be interesting to watch how Sony handles them, and not overexposing them like NMS, or sending them out to die like Guns Up.

I think releasing Dreams next year would be sending it to die under any scenario.. Detroit I can see because it has had two major showings so far. Dreams has absent for almost two years outside of some streams.

Zukkoyaki

Might as well join in...

Summer 2017: GT Sport
Late Summer/Early Fall 2017: Dreams
Holiday 2017: Detroit, Knack 2

Early 2018: God of War
Spring 2018: Days Gone
Rest of 2018: Spider-Man, Sucker Punch game, From Software collaboration

2019: TLOU2, Death Stranding

I'd expect there to be at least one other game that we don't know about that gets released in 2017-2018. Probably something more mid-tier or smaller in scale that the rest here. Perhaps something from Guerrilla Cambridge (who were hiring for a AAA shooter in an established IP) or Japan Studio.

SamNW

It's real terminology if people use it, and a lot of people use it. Now, I don't have particularly strong feelings one way or the other about using it, but it's clearly useful as shorthand for a lot of people.

Might as well join in...

Summer 2017: GT Sport
Late Summer/Early Fall 2017: Dreams
Holiday 2017: Detroit, Knack 2

Early 2018: God of War
Spring 2018: Days Gone
Rest of 2018: Spider-Man, Sucker Punch game, From Software collaboration

2019: TLOU2, Death Stranding

I'd expect there to be at least one other game that we don't know about that gets released in 2017-2018. Probably something more mid-tier or smaller in scale that the rest here. Perhaps something from Guerrilla Cambridge (who were hiring for a AAA shooter in an established IP) or Japan Studio.
People seem to think that Days Gone is pretty far off, but I'm not so sure. I think it could very well come out in the latter half of 2017, possibly as early as August or September. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if GT Sport, Knack 2, Days Gone, and Dreams all release within a four or five month period next year.

It's an unofficial term, so there is no definition but that's basically the one I understood too. It's not the only one I've seen though, some people use it to refer to exclusive third party games, studios or whatever, it's a mess.

More than anything, I just think it's a pretty pointless term. What's makes Spider-Man a second party Sony game but Titanfall 2 not a second party EA game? They're both external studios working for major publishers and neither publisher owns the IPs. So yeah, I think sticking with first/third party makes way more sense and if you want to distinguish even further, internal/external are straightforward terms to do so.

Zukkoyaki

People seem to think that Days Gone is pretty far off, but I'm not so sure. I think it could very well come out in the latter half of 2017, possibly as early as August or September. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if GT Sport, Knack 2, Days Gone, and Dreams all release within a four or five month period next year.

I would love to have it sooner than later for sure. I feel like either it or Detroit are going to make it next year but not both... just a feeling... one based on essentially nothing :p

Icolin

Banned
I think releasing Dreams next year would be sending it to die under any scenario.. Detroit I can see because it has had two major showings so far. Dreams has absent for almost two years outside of some streams.

Regardless of when it releases, it's clear that the game was revealed way too early, and the way in which it was revealed was underwhelming and confusing; it should've been one of the big reveals at PSX, especially considering that at E3 it was completely overshadowed by the trifecta of TLG, FF7R and Shenmue 3.

As a huge fan of LBP, and as a huge fan of Tearaway, it's pretty clear that this game, and to a lesser extent Drawn to Death, has a long way to go in trying to interest people. I think Sony either sends it out with a short push in 2017, or releases it in the midst, presumably, of much more anticipated exclusives in 2018, when I assume many of the games shown at E3 2016 (Days Gone, GOW, Spider-Man) will land, and it ending up in a bit of a Titanfall 2 situation.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
any idea what Sucker Punch is up to? Kind of hoping for a new IP, a little tired of Infamous right now.

any idea what Sucker Punch is up to? Kind of hoping for a new IP, a little tired of Infamous right now.

Someone mentioned earlier that shinobi has said whatever they're working on isn't a new inFamous. No other hints. So, most likely a new IP unless they're making a new Sly.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Someone mentioned earlier that shinobi has said whatever they're working on isn't a new inFamous. No other hints. So, most likely a new IP unless they're making a new Sly.

I'll take that over infamous, love the franchise but after second son, I am a little done

FelipeMGM

Its actually pretty hard to figure out release windows for the Sony games, mostly because there are a lot of stuff announced lol

Its shaping up to be 3 amazing years for exclusive software

No. Why would they change that strategy when the number of high-profile flops this holiday has proved the tactic to be shrewd?

Cyberia

New open world IP.

6OkZwSH.jpg

Former SP community manager:

Sucker Punch is rebuilding after laying off 30% of their staff back in 2014 as well as replacing their art director who left a couple months ago.

Sucker Punch is a very proud developer, which can make things actually difficult. Look at what Jaime Griesemer said about them.

But, they are doing a new IP. Probably won't see it until next year.

I was hoping to see Spider-Man either at PSX or VGA. I'm pretty convinced now that it's not coming until 2018, and the same goes for God of War and Days Gone. We will likely see Sucker Punch's new IP and Bloodborne 2 at E3 with 2018/2019 release schedules respectively as well.

2017: Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, Gran Turismo Sport, Detroit, Knack 2
2018: Spider-Man, God of War, Days Gone, Bloodborne 2, Dreams
2019: Sucker Punch's New IP, The Last of Us 2, maybe Ratchet sequel, Death Stranding

That's what I'm guessing.

Best wishes.
Yea I just put in Death Stranding and that would be my guess.

Turkoop

Banned
we've got Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, RDR2, next Need For Speed, Sledgehammer Game
who cares ?!
So pls no God of War! take your Time Balrog

NYmanutd

I expect this titles to launch in 2017
Knack2, Detroit, Dreams, Spiderman, Days Gone

God of war, The Last of Us are in my eyes 2018 titles.

I expect this titles to launch in 2017
Knack2, Detroit, Dreams, Spiderman, Days Gone

God of war, The Last of Us are in my eyes 2018 titles.
Hmm idk this is how I see it playing out
Gravity rush 2,horizon,mlb the show,knack 2,Wipeout collection,hot shots golf,detriot(idk about this one),gt sport in that order.

God of war,days gone, dreams,spiderman

Death stranding,the last of us 2

Top Bottom