• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

RPGamer92

Banned
Detroit in 2017 is highly unlikely sorry. It's early/mid 2018 probably. Full production had barely started when they showed the last E3 demo. First full scene they built.
It's already probably been in production for about 3 years. If it comes out next fall, it will have been 4 years since Beyond. It's definitely possible imo.

It's already probably been in production for about 3 years. If it comes out next fall, it will have been 4 years since Beyond. It's definitely possible imo.
Possible for sure, just saying don't get your hopes up. Tales from my ass say they had a few unfortunate setbacks due various reasons and had to retool a lot. Needless to say the game is highly ambitious and contains a lot of branching so it's not easy to realize.

Kasper

I know, but I am speaking in general, not specifics. Sony had lots of first party because they are in the market since the PS1, and had to expand to suppor the PSP and the Vita, now that they don't exist those teams are all on the PS4.

True, the shift towards only supporting one platform has meant a slightly higher focus on PS4 titles. However, with the Vita underperforming Sony also quickly shuttered three of those Vita focused studios (BigBig, Liverpool, Zipper), and later on this year they shuttered the PS4 focused Evolution Studios.

So out of the remaining studios that produced Vita content we have Bend, who moved from a 100% Vita focus to a 100% PS4 focus - but with their size and output taken into consideration that move is more or less counter-balanced by the closure of Evolution.

Then we have Japan Studios. They've always been a multi-team studio that's very hard to quantify in regards to just how much they work on and how many people they have devoted to various projects due to their multi-team first-party and second-party efforts. But ignoring size of the team they had one out of several focusing on making Gravity Rush and they've now shifted to PS4 development instead with Gravity Rush 2.

Other than that we also have Media Molecule returning to a one-team status (as far as we know) from the two team status developing Dreams (PS4) and Tearaway (Vita) at the same time, where Tearaway was a relatively small team. I'm honestly not really sure how much of a difference this one makes, as I think the development of Tearaway was greenlit in the first place to keep various parts of the studio busy while Dreams was getting defined.

The biggest actual gain seems to come from the somewhat smaller team at Guerilla Cambridge switching from Vita with Killzone: Mercenaries for Vita to PSVR with RIGS.

Sony has also opened a few studios since the other closures, but they've also laid off people here and there in the meantime, and the new studios aren't really large scale any of them just yet, so that more or less evens out.

In the end I guess you're right, there has been a gain in terms of PS4 support, but IMO it's not really great enough to cheer about, and some of the closures the failure of the Vita brought about were pretty severe.

Kasper

I really hope Spider-Man is 2017 but it's been months with no update. Hope we get a GI cover or something soon

With how little we've seen so far I can't imagine that being the case. I do wonder what Sony will fill their Q3-4 slate with other than probably GT Sport and maybe Knack 2, though.

With how little we've seen so far I can't imagine that being the case. I do wonder what Sony will fill their Q3-4 slate with other than probably GT Sport and maybe Knack 2, though.
I think it'll only be stuff that absolutely needs to launch like GT Sport, for example. Otherwise, they'll let it slide because they have big third party deals. It could lead to another nice Q1/Q2 for 2018 though.

I still say everything shown at e3 is 2018 basically lol maybe one makes it next year(Detroit)

For first party this year
Covering jan-march
Gravity rush 2(Sony Japan)
Horizon(GG)
Mlb the show(sie San Diego)

Left they have
Crash(do I include this?)
Wipeout omega collection(summer)
Knack2(probably summer)
Hot shots golf(summer)
Gt sport(full year delay calling it see it next holiday)

Third part exclusives(only listing what can be considered big)
Nioh
Persona 5
Kingdom hearts 1.5+2.5&2.8
Ni no kuni 2
Ave combat 7

Do they really need anything from e3 next year? Might as well let em cook

It also depends on the product, I believe.

If GOW is ready by fall 17, I feel that is a game Sony will confidently put there against other holiday giants.

But if it's Days Gone? That will get pushed to 2018 because that is a game that needs a window else it will get murdered.

I still say everything shown at e3 is 2018 basically lol maybe one makes it next year(Detroit)

Covering jan-march
Horizon(GG)

Left they have
Knack2(probably summer)
Hot shots golf(summer)

Nioh
Persona 5
Ni no kuni 2
Ave combat 7

That's a good looking year. I do hope Days Gone comes out next year though, it would be unfortunate if it came out the same year as TLOU Part ll. People would be constantly comparing the two. Also don't want to play two post apocalyptic games in one year. September would be a good time for it.

Kasper

That's a good looking year. I do hope Days Gone comes out next year though, it would be unfortunate if it came out the same year as TLOU Part ll. People would be constantly comparing the two. Also don't want to play two post apocalyptic games in one year. September would be a good time for it.

I don't think we'll see Days Gone until 2018 and The Last of Us Part II until 2019, sadly. Hoping I'm wrong!

dcelw540

Any idea if team ico will keep making games now that the last guardian is done? Curious since it took however many years.

That's the one thing that gets me about ND. They're so high quality, but so efficient too? They fucking pump out game after game. Those guys must always stay busy.

Kasper

Any idea if team ico will keep making games now that the last guardian is done? Curious since it took however many years.

There isn't a team ico. If you mean Ueda, who knows what publisher will back his next game now that he is indie.

Like Shikamaru Ninja says, Team ICO is no more - and hasn't been for a long, long time. The team has scattered all over the place, some creating new studios that have showcased upcoming games in the meantime. Most importantly, Ueda's new studio is genDESIGN and yeah, who knows who he'll be working with next, but I imagine there's a decent chance it'll be another game with Sony.

Can't echo enough how much I wanna see more of dreams tho. Not any hype for it(rightfully so the showings are bad) bit it's little big planet on steroids I need it

dracula_x

Nah just that horizon reached beta a few weeks ago and that rad's next game will be more gameplay focused instead of cinematics. Ignore the report by gamingbolt

Barring any last minute mishaps, horizon is on track for the February 28th release date.

RAD's new game? Am I missed something or you're talking about Deformers?

Zukkoyaki

Can't echo enough how much I wanna see more of dreams tho. Not any hype for it(rightfully so the showings are bad) bit it's little big planet on steroids I need it
I love LBP and Media Molecule so ready to see Dreams as well. I have a feeling that it when finally releases it's going to be a rapid process. Like one day the beta is dated out of nowhere on the PlayStation Blog and a full release will follow not long afterwards. Hopefully we see it in 2017.

That's the one thing that gets me about ND. They're so high quality, but so efficient too? They fucking pump out game after game. Those guys must always stay busy.

I'm not surprised after reading that Amy Hennig interview about how bad they crunch over at Naughty Dog. It's probably also a pride thing since ND seems like the leader of Sony's studios.

Is this going to be another Sony partnership? Does Shinobi ever leak stuff that's not Playstation focused?

I think this goes a long way in explaining why ND are efficient

Naughty Dog has long cultivated an unusually free-flowing development process that empowers anyone at any stage to share their ideas -- and defend them. Its dogmatic emphasis on uniting story designers and technology makers is the sort of multidisciplinary collaboration that's all the buzz at business schools and entrepreneurship seminars.

Some may dismiss the system as unreplicable in a company with thousands of employees and dozens of projects, compared with the 200 workers at Naughty Dog focused on one game. But Naughty Dog Co-President Evan Wells insists it can scale, offering the “Uncharted 4” journey as a potential playbook.

“If you get a single person having too much authority, you get surrounded by yes-men or not enough people challenging you,” Wells said. “You’re going to get better results when you have more challenges to an idea.”

Step by step, the informal chatter and emails evolved into specific jobs on Tasker, an internally developed duty-management app.

Druckmann shrugs his shoulders at new hires who try to author comprehensive memos detailing far-off plot points and issues.

“Oh, they’ll learn,” he says. “Documentation can become stale very quickly.”

That belief means Naughty Dog doesn’t lean on producers for organization. Many game companies have a producer for every 10 developers, Wells said. They call meetings and centralize planning, acting as guardians of developers' precious time.

“Producers become a crutch, where it’s someone else’s job to make that communication,” he said. “We want people to get out of their chair and get the help they need immediately."

Though producers might prevent the frustration caused when some people are left out of conversations, Naughty Dog has found that the speed gained from not having those middle managers more than makes up for it.

“Even if you’re off course by 45 degrees, you’re still moving faster forward than if you’re constantly bogging everybody down and affecting their workflow,” Wells said.

Perhaps the closest thing to a master document beyond the index cards is a 90-minute video of a Powerpoint presentation Straley and Druckmann gave to the company when pitching the project. New employees are instructed to watch the video to get up to speed.

Many game companies leave the writing until after the gameplay is built, but writers and developers get started at the same time at Naughty Dog. Rhianna Pratchett, lead writer for “Tomb Raider” games, said calling in writers too late turns them into “narrative paramedics.”

http://www.latimes.com/business/tec...ty-dog-uncharted-20160523-snap-htmlstory.html

"There are no producers, there's no management, it's really just us working as a team. I can walk up to anybody and say, 'Hey man, I've got a really cool idea, what do you think of this?' and then we talk about it and then we like it and we sit down and try it. Two days later we have it in the game and realise, 'Oh, that was a terrible idea, what a waste of time!' But at other studios that sort of experimental process is not allowed and they try to really run it like a contained business... I see that a lot of studios that have producers in-house from the publisher, their creativity is very, very stifled.

"Having that middle management it definitely tones down the level of excitement, as a developer, as an artist, when I'm working on something, it's not mine anymore. But it also really slows down the iteration process, and that's one of the biggest strengths of Naughty Dog, we are just fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants. We move really, really, really fast so we can quickly look at something and say, 'You know what, this sucks, let's cut it' or 'Oh, this is kind of awesome, how about if we do this as well?'

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/11...ucers-no-management-just-us-working-as-a-team

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
After having finished The Last Guardian I hope Ueda takes a very very well deserved vacation, relaxs and enjoys the success of his long awaited masterpiece and then Sony comes a knocking and offers to let him do whatever he wants for his fourth game. Ueda has stated he wants to continue making games as its the only medium that really works to fufill his vision. I don't even care if it takes another 9 years. Whatever that man and his team makes I'll be there.

After having finished The Last Guardian I hope Ueda takes a very very well deserved vacation, relaxs and enjoys the success of his long awaited masterpiece and then Sony comes a knocking and offers to let him do whatever he wants for his fourth game. Ueda has stated he wants to continue making games as its the only medium that really works to fufill his vision. I don't even care if it takes another 9 years. Whatever that man and his team makes I'll be there.
Hahaha imagine tlg but with a robot this time

I think this goes a long way in explaining why ND are efficient

It's not some sort of perfect solution, mind. It'd require practically everyone in the team to be highly empowered while knowing their boundaries, and even then there are mistakes along the way. Neil/Bruce stated that there were stuff where they worked independently of each other and when they came together to discuss it, they both ended up in slightly different spaces and had to quickly scramble to fix up those differences.

wapplew

He's been on vacation mode most of the time. /s

Is this going to be another Sony partnership? Does Shinobi ever leak stuff that's not Playstation focused?

Shinobi leaks stuff from all over the place.

I'd like to see Sony give RAD another shot because their PSP games prove they're a quality developer but I doubt they will. I wouldn't be surprised if RAD work with Microsoft next, because they're in desperate need of more developers under their umbrella.

Dabi

Covering jan-march
Horizon(GG)

Left they have
Knack2(probably summer)
Hot shots golf(summer)

Nioh
Persona 5
Ni no kuni 2
Ave combat 7

They also have Uncharted: Lost Legacy in the shuffle as well. Wouldn't be surprised if we got Spiderman and / or Days Gone in 2017

Man, at this point, Sucker Punch has to work on a new IP. No way Sony wouldn't have shown something by now if it was otherwise. Second Son was early 2014, so it's been 2 1/2 years by now.

I think it's already been confirmed that Bruce will be helming a new project once he gets back, one would have to imagine a new IP for PS5.

New directors for Uncharted 4's DLC is a fascinating development. They're grooming the next generation of leaders at Naughty Dog that I expect will have a major coming out party next generation like Neil and Bruce had with TLOU.
The Last of Us, which was a new IP at the time, released during the 7th year (2013) of the PS3s life cycle. I don't see the next project necessarily being a PS5 project, especially when what they have released so far is a Remaster (TLoU PS4), a sequel (UC4), DLC for the sequel, and another sequel (TLoU2) - all running on the same, though upgraded and retooled, engine.

They could surprise us with a late gen entry, yet.

Javin98

Banned
The Last of Us, which was a new IP at the time, released during the 7th year (2013) of the PS3s life cycle. I don't see the next project necessarily being a PS5 project, especially when what they have released so far is a Remaster (TLoU PS4), a sequel (UC4), DLC for the sequel, and another sequel (TLoU2) - all running on the same, though upgraded and retooled, engine.

They could surprise us with a late gen entry, yet.
I'm honestly expecting a swan song title from ND that's not TLOU2. Probably will hit 2020, months before PS5 launch, which I expect to hit in holiday 2020.

FelipeMGM

So, with 2016 ending, made a list of all SIE games from this year (did not list the remasters, should they be included?)

Amplitude (Jan 5, published by Harmonix but still a SIE IP)
Hardware Rivals (Jan 5)
MLB 16: The Show (Mar 29)
Ratchet & Clank (Apr 12)
Alienation (April 26)
Uncharted 4 (May 10)
Shadow Of The Beast (May 17)
Kill Strain (July 12)
Bound (Aug 16)
The Tomorrow Children (Sep 6)
The Last Guardian (Dec 6)

PSVR
RIGS (Oct 13)
PSVR Worlds (Oct 13)
Tumble VR (Oct 13)
Unitl Dawn: Rush Of Blood (Oct 13)
Playroom VR (Oct 13)
Here They Lie (Oct 13)

Drawn To Death is still listed for 2016, but I guess that wont happen anymore? IDK

Digital releases were a hit & miss situation (with more misses I guess), while their retail stuff were all well received

Shredderi

SuckerPunch's new game will amost definitely be at E3. They've been working on it for a pretty long time without anyone knowing what it is. I can't imagine it being Infamous anymore. The added dev time is propably because it is a new IP. The only thing I've heard about it was Verendus who said that he thinks that SP might be close to greatness with it. I do hope it will be the whole package and not half-baked in parts when it releases.

zsynqx

I have a feeling that E3 2017 will be crazy for Sony First party.

I think we could get:

- The Last of Us Part II gameplay reveal
- Spider-man gameplay reveal
- New God of War gameplay
- Days Gone gamplay
- Sucker Punch announcement
- Blooodborne 2 announcement

That would probably be Sony's best showing ever.

It's been in the works since atleast 2014, going by that Ruin4r leak. Now Naughty Dog's space game on the other hand...

Who's Ruin4r and what did he leak?

Top Bottom