• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Javin98

Banned
I have a feeling that E3 2017 will be crazy for Sony First party.

I think we could get:

- The Last of Us Part II gameplay reveal
- Spider-man gameplay reveal
- New God of War gameplay
- Days Gone gamplay
- Sucker Punch announcement
- Blooodborne 2 announcement

That would probably be Sony's best showing ever.
Not so sure about best showing yet, but it will be undoubtedly amazing. In addition, I can see Spider-Man, Days Gone, Detroit and God Of War getting confirmed release dates. The best Sony showing so far IMO is E3 2015 with PSX 2016 as a very close second and E3 2016 following a very close third.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=201276378
A reddit guy who posted some stuff back in 2015
Damn, looking at this, the guy got pretty much everything right. Was the "unannounced space game" supposed to be SSM's cancelled game? Or maybe Sucker Punch's game? :0

Damn, looking at this, the guy got pretty much everything right. Was the "unannounced space game" supposed to be SSM's cancelled game? Or maybe Sucker Punch's game? :0
Nah darkside was already cancelled way before e3 2015, but yeah this guy is on point so far(though he didn't list what year they'll appear though). As always take it with a grain of salt

FelipeMGM

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=201276378
A reddit guy who posted some stuff back in 2015

Yeah, from what I remember making that post, the comments hinted about the ''space game'' beeing by ND as well. Not sure though since the post and some of the comments were deleted. And yes take with a grain of salt, specially since things can change.

And also to his credit, he also said TLoU II would feature an older Ellie. He has not posted anything leak related since that Im aware of

I think we could get:

- Days Gone gamplay

I don't see them showing anything TLOU Part ll related until atleast next PSX since development is so early. Bloodborne 2 is also pretty hopeful considering it will only have been 2 years since Bloodborne and FROM also just released DS3 this year. Not to mention the DLC for DS3 hasn't even wrapped yet.

I do expect a blowout of information for #SpidermanPS4 and Days Gone though. Also expect to see a Days Gone like reveal for Sucker Punches new game with a cinematic trailer and a gameplay trailer to close the show.

Also you're missing Knack 2 on that list.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Was there a rumor another marvel game was being made by 1st/2nd party?

Could suckerpunch still do a marvel title?

zsynqx

I don't see them showing anything TLOU Part ll related until atleast next PSX since development is so early.

From Neil:

We’re going to let the trailer speak for itself, but expect more information about The Last of Us Part II in the coming months.
http://www.naughtydog.com/blog/the_last_of_us_part_ii

Bloodborne 2 is also pretty hopeful considering it will only have been 2 years since Bloodborne and FROM also just released DS3 this year. Not to mention the DLC for DS3 hasn't even wrapped yet.

Dark Souls 3 was announced 3 months after Bloodborne shipped, they're a 2 team studio. I see no reason why From won't be ready by next E3

Also you're missing Knack 2 on that list.

lol you'll never see Knack on one of my hype lists.

I think Sucker Punch (new IP), Guerrilla Cambridge (new Killzone) and Sony Japan (new IP) will be the new first party stuff.

Otherwise, we'll be getting gameplay reveals and release dates for previously announced stuff. I'd be down with that.

From Neil:

http://www.naughtydog.com/blog/the_last_of_us_part_ii

Dark Souls 3 was announced 3 months after Bloodborne shipped, they're a 2 team studio. I see no reason why From won't be ready by next E3

Wow, I did not know he said that about TLOU Part ll. That gives me hope then. Though I hope it's not a situation of drip feeding us information about the game over the next three years though.

lol you'll never see Knack on one of my hype lists.

It should be :p I'm unironically excited about Knack 2 for some reason.

Wow, I did not know he said that about TLOU Part ll. That gives me hope then. Though I hope it's not a situation of drip feeding us information about the game over the next three years though.

It should be :p I'm unironically excited about Knack 2 for some reason.
Its essentially a second chance to make it great. Im excited for it

Icolin

Banned
God of War, Days Gone, Detroit, TLOU2, Spider-Man, Death Stranding, Sucker Punch's game, NNK2, GT Sport, Dreams, Bloodborne 2/next PS4 exclusive FromSoft game will/could be the exclusive stuff at E3, but then consider all of the third party games that have been almost radio silent, or not properly revealed yet:

FFVIIRemake and KH3 BLOWOUT, RDR2, Battlefront 2, Destiny 2, RE2Remake, MVC:I, next COD and maybe whatever WB's studios are working on (Damian Wayne game, Suicide Squad, Shadow of Mordor 2?) could all, plausibly, be at E3 2017.

And Mass Effect Andromeda, because it will be delayed to August. Balee dat.

I also firmly believe that Sony will have a conference at either Gamescom or PGW, where they'll give a push for the games by European studios (Detroit, WiLD, Matterfall, Dreams) or for a European audience, like GT sport, and just generally fall 2017 games, first and third party.

sense

Because it would overshadow the other games? Makes sense
Yep, knack is in a league of its own. Watch publishers panic and move their game release dates out of knack 2 release date when it is announced! Apparently God of war, death stranding, days gone, Spider-Man etc... are not given release dates because they are waiting on knack 2 to confirm its date. ;)

Zukkoyaki

Sony seems to be giving Sucker Punch all the time in the world, and I mean that in a good way, to develop a meaningful new IP like what they're doing with Guerrilla and Horizon. With their already loaded slate for the next couple of years you kinda have to think that Sony and Sucker Punch want to make sure they have a sure-fire winner on their hands.

I think we could get:

- Days Gone gamplay

That would probably be Sony's best showing ever.

Who's Ruin4r and what did he leak?

Other than assuming it would get a sequel based off of it's success, has this actually been hinted at?

Zukkoyaki

Other than assuming it would get a sequel based off of it's success, has this actually been hinted at?
A decently reputable insider a couple years ago said that Sony signed a three game deal with From Software. Also we know that From has three games in the works: Armored Core, a "weird" new IP and an action RPG the likes of which we would expect. The RPG is unlikely to be Dark Souls since Miyazaki said that series is done.

Also Bloodborne was extremely successful and beat Sony's expectations by a strong margin. A sequel isn't set in stone but one seems likely.

A decently reputable insider a couple years ago said that Sony signed a three game deal with From Software. Also we know that From has three games in the works: Armored Core, a "weird" new IP and an action RPG the likes of which we would expect. The RPG is unlikely to be Dark Souls since Miyazaki said that series is done.

Also Bloodborne was extremely successful and beat Sony's expectations by a strong margin. A sequel isn't set in stone but one seems likely.

Yes, this is what I heard as well, but I recall hearing they said it was a fantasy RPG, which Bloodborne is generally not described as... I could be wrong though.

Dabi

I think we could get:

- Days Gone gamplay

I think we'll see Spiderman and/or Days Gone release in 2017.

Tagg9

No chance.

I think Days Gone is a lock for Q4 2017. Spider-Man would ideally release around July 2017 (to coincide with Homecoming) but I don't think they are even close to finishing development. My bet would be the first half of 2018.

Dabi

I think Sucker Punch (new IP), Guerrilla Cambridge (new Killzone) and Sony Japan (new IP) will be the new first party stuff.

Otherwise, we'll be getting gameplay reveals and release dates for previously announced stuff. I'd be down with that.

An FPS is just what they need to round out the lineup. I was personally hoping for a new Resistance but I'm still game for a new Killzone.

I think Days Gone is a lock for Q4 2017. Spider-Man would ideally release around July 2017 (to coincide with Homecoming) but I don't think they are even close to finishing development. My bet would be the first half of 2018.
Days Gone is the most likely game to release in 2017 I think, but february 2018 seems like the perfect spot for it
I'm thinking Days Gone or Detroit for fall 2017, one or the other but not both. The other will hit that February spot that Sony seems to like so much.
I bet one is october 2017, other is feb 2018. Detroit seems more likely for 2017 to me, but admittedly it's just because it was revealed first

Edit: that said I think Detroit would be a great August title if they can get it ready by then. Until Dawn found a lot of success in that spot

Zukkoyaki

I'm thinking Days Gone or Detroit for fall 2017, one or the other but not both. The other will hit that February spot that Sony seems to like so much.

MvC is multiplat so its not first or second party.

Straley will still be on sabbatical or just finishing by E3.

I think we will see sucker punch as the "one last thing" at E3.

Im just going to assume RDR2 will get delayed.

Since others were doing it on previous pages I'll throw in my predictions for Sony's releases. Not including GR2 or Horizon since they have release dates

August 2017: Uncharted The Lost Legacy
September 2017: GTSport
September 2017: Knack 2
October 2017: Detroit
December 2017: Dreams
February 2018: Days Gone
March 2018: God of War
August 2018: Wild
September 2018: new FromSoft exclusive
October 2018: Spider-Man
February 2019: Sucker Punch new ip
March 2019: Sony Japan new ip
April 2019: new Ratchet and Clank
June 2019: The Last of Us Part II
October 2019: Death Stranding

Obviously the FromSoft 3 game deal is just a rumor and nothing to currently indicate there's a new R&C in the works (but I think there is) but aside from that I think this about covers Sony for the rest of the generation. If the PS5 doesn't come until 2020 then I think we see Horizon 2, new game from Toyama, and maybe even a new IP from Ueda that year. Bruce's new ip is a PS5 game either way. Future looks damn good for Sony

FelipeMGM

There are chances Japan Studio has multiple games in production instead of only one. We dont know what Gavin Moore has been up to since Pupeteer (or even if he still has a team) and maybe Toyama and his team could ship a game faster this time, Im sure he is already thinking about whats next.

Also, I would love some digital stuff coming from Japan Studio collabs again like the end of the PS3 with Tokyo Jungle and Rain.

Pachimari

I would bet there's a new Killzone coming from Cambridge too.

And I'm so super sad we probably won't get an Until Dawn sequel. Even with a new cast.

There are chances Japan Studio has multiple games in production instead of only one. We dont know what Gavin Moore has been up to since Pupeteer (or even if he still has a team) and maybe Toyama and his team could ship a game faster this time, Im sure he is already thinking about whats next.

Also, I would love some digital stuff coming from Japan Studio collabs again like the end of the PS3 with Tokyo Jungle and Rain.

Knack 2 coming so soon surprised me but I'd be shocked if we see anything else from Japan Studio any time soon. They only just released The Last Guardian, have Gravity Rush 2 on the way soon (plus its DLC) and are developing Knack 2, seems like a pretty full slate until they can get their next projects up and running.

Knack: Mady by a boss

The Order 1886: Made by not a boss

Sony employee vs thrid party

Cerny isn't a Sony employee, he's a contractor.

Realistically, it's probably more like this:
Knack: Cheap and made by a studio they're stuck with (due to Japanese employment laws)
The Order: Expensive and made by a studio they can break away from

An FPS is just what they need to round out the lineup. I was personally hoping for a new Resistance but I'm still game for a new Killzone.
Yeah, I would be interested in seeing how they handle the FPS genre. They are going to have to mix it up at this point.

Knack 2 coming so soon surprised me but I'd be shocked if we see anything else from Japan Studio any time soon. They only just released The Last Guardian, have Gravity Rush 2 on the way soon (plus its DLC) and are developing Knack 2, seems like a pretty full slate until they can get their next projects up and running.
TLG is out, GR2 already went gold and it comes out in January, DLC isn't going to take much time or manpower and Knack 2 is a small scope game that probably reuses a lot from the first game.

I think they have plenty of room for their next big game.

looking at the decline of Halo and Gears of War and given the competition at that market, im not sure if Sony really needs an FPS Game/Franchise.
There are more than enough alternatives, and if you are not ready to pump a shitton of money into the marketing, i don't think you can expect something big coming out of it.

looking at the decline of Halo and Gears of War and given the competition at that market, im not sure if Sony really needs an FPS Game/Franchise.
There are more than enough alternatives, and if you are not ready to pump a shitton of money into the marketing, i don't think you can expect something big coming out of it.
I don't think they need it either but I think that is the go to idea for Guerrilla Cambridge. It is what I find most likely for them to be working on.

I don't think it will be a huge success but it can be a decent sized success if Sony plans it right.

TLG is out, GR2 already went gold and it comes out in January, DLC isn't going to take much time or manpower and Knack 2 is a small scope game that probably reuses a lot from the first game.

I think they have plenty of room for their next big game.

Yeah but because they were working on TLG and GR2 up until recently, we're not going to see their next major project for another like 2-3 years. That was my point. Some people seem to be expecting a new Japan Studio game to be announced at E3, which seems crazy to me.

Yeah, I mostly agree. Unless they can do something really different to stand out from the crowd (like maybe a really story heavy FPS?), it seems kinda pointless to wade into those shark infested waters.

I wouldn't be against a Guerrilla Cambridge developed Killzone though (but similar to the Japan Studio discussion above, I doubt we'll see much from them too soon, as they only just released RIGS).

Yeah but because they were working on TLG and GR2 up until recently, we're not going to see their next major project for another like 2-3 years. That was my point. Some people seem to be expecting a new Japan Studio game to be announced at E3, which seems crazy to me.
Sure, but it would be another teaser like trailer. I'm not expecting anything like gameplay or what not. I think they've had a new IP in the oven for at least a little while now.

Top Bottom