• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony refused cross platform play in Minecraft

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This is wrong and I criticize Sony for doing it...but.

When I first heard this I just BUSTED out into laughter. I just imagined this is how it went.

*Phil Spencer walks up to Shuhei.*

Phil: H-Hey Shu-Shuhei...uhm...

Shuhei: Look me in the eyes when you speak to me.

Phil: S-Sorry Yoshida-san. Will...uhm, would Sony like to-

Shuhei: Look me in the eyes Mr. Spencer. LOOK..............

*awkward silence as well as a death stare showdown, but obviously it's one sided*

No.

*Shuhei slaps Phil across the face and Phil runs off crying, in the process of him running away and crying we hear:*

Phil: I'm SORRRRRRY!
You guys have some weird sexual fantasies.

Hatty

This is wrong and I criticize Sony for doing it...but.

When I first heard this I just BUSTED out into laughter. I just imagined this is how it went.

*Phil Spencer walks up to Shuhei.*

Phil: H-Hey Shu-Shuhei...uhm...

Shuhei: Look me in the eyes when you speak to me.

Phil: S-Sorry Yoshida-san. Will...uhm, would Sony like to-

Shuhei: Look me in the eyes Mr. Spencer. LOOK..............

*awkward silence as well as a death stare showdown, but obviously it's one sided*

No.

*Shuhei slaps Phil across the face and Phil runs off crying, in the process of him running away and crying we hear:*

Phil: I'm SORRRRRRY!

Please source your /v/ quotes

I think Sony knows their audience better than we do.
I am part of their audience. And if they knew me,
they would have allowed crossplay.
Some people are happy of sony protecting their platform from bad business practives like EA Access. Other are happy with them not investing in BC because they don't seem to care about it. Now some people doesn't need this feature. I think Sony is doing great job satisfying their audience. Thankfully MS and Nintendo are doing the same with the oppsosite decisions.
some are happy sure some like me, again, are not. to me sony didn't allow EA access because it would have been competing with psnow, not because they say it's not a good service for their consumers.

prohibiting crossplay is not a good move on behalf of their consumers

News like this don't make me sad because I expect big companies to start acting like complete assholes as soon as they gain the upper hand. What truly saddens me is the legion of platform warriors who will rush to defend any decision not matter how shitty or anti-consumer it is.

cyba89

I think Sony knows their audience better than we do. Some people are happy of sony protecting their platform from bad business practives like EA Access. Other are happy with them not investing in BC because they don't seem to care about it. Now some people doesn't need this feature. I think Sony is doing great job satisfying their audience. Thankfully MS and Nintendo are doing the same with the oppsosite decisions.

Never doubt the church of Sony™!

And now everyone: #ThisIs4ThePlayers!

Again, I think they should enable cross-platform play, but I lose absolutely nothing by them not doing it.
You don't, but I do. One of my best friends from college plays Minecraft on Xbox; hell, I first played and discovered the game by playing it with him on 360 way back in the day. And here came the opportunity to finally play online with him, and the opportunity is not even there.

LOL. I knew this was coming. I really don't know why this popped into my head but OBVIOUSLY it's cause I'm a fanboy. Love it.

not because
everyone on this forum is a fanboy of one or more companies and to some degree

we just want to know which side you belong
but maybe you're a switcher

Kssio_Aug

That's my point they don't give a damn about this because it will not change sales in any significant way, that's not arrogance that just business.

I understand that's business for them, but if they could accept their consumer demands (and people want cross play) that could end up well for them in the long run. They market their console as #4thegamers, they started this gen saying they're doing things for the gamers when MS did not, and now they're the ones limiting their gamers.

They're the market leader now, but in the market we never know when things can turn upside down.

Edit: By the way, just to be clear, I am not saying Sony is the only one not listening to demands they should. This E3 MS has shown a very similar attitude by not bringing new IPs, but that's discussion for another thread.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I mean, yeah? What you want powerful hardware, pay up.

They haven't shown anything that makes use of that power yet. As soon as I think they do, I'll gladly pay up.

I got a Pro at launch and partly regret it. (Especially as the game I got it for was FFXV.) Not making the same mistake with the X.

ElRenoRaven

I think Sony knows their audience better than we do. Some people are happy of sony protecting their platform from bad business practives like EA Access. Other are happy with them not investing in BC because they don't seem to care about it. Now some people doesn't need this feature. I think Sony is doing great job satisfying their audience. Thankfully MS and Nintendo are doing the same with the oppsosite decisions.

Yes damn EA for allowing you to subscribe to a service for 30 dollars a year and get access to games without having to buy them all separately. So damn evil and anti consumer. Sony done good. Screw giving consumers a choice.

Then that whole backward compatibility thing who needs it? Why should anyone have the ability to play old games on a newer console. What is this a PC or an Xbox One or even a PS3 or even a PS2. Rolls eyes in disgust at those companies who allowed BC on their consoles.

Afrikan

Your posts are terrible and you both should feel terrible.

Here's a post of mine from 2013 tearing Microsoft a new asshole for being anti-consumer and arrogant.

I should feel terrible..when you are comparing this

Having to drag some Kinect with you and point it at you and calibrate it, just to play a freaking game (imagine this at LAN parties, EVO, PAX, etc.), is not simple.

Having to enter a serial code for every game is not simple.

Having to be online just to play games is not simple.

Some weird-ass trade-in system that involves people revoking permissions to play and generating/selling new 'offline pass' stuff is not simple.

To denying cross console play?

When I think of anti-consumer, I think of your orginal post..MUCH MORE so than cross console play, especially when it's still allowed with PC Gamers.

Edit- don't get me wrong folks.. not saying some shouldn't be frustrated or have complaints..with this issue or other ones.

But when I hear anti-consumer....man I've seen much worse. Or the attempt of it.

I swear shit like this makes me ashamed to own a Pro and a PSVR. The fanboyism makes me wish to not be identified with Playstation owners lest people think me a sycophant.

Sony isn't protecting me from shit by preventing me from subbing to EA Access.

I am not fucking happy that Sony won't let me play games on the PS4 that I've already bought from them two or three times on other platforms.

I am their fucking audience. I spend thousands on each platform they release.

I am part of their audience. And if they knew me,
they would have allowed crossplay.some are happy sure some like me, again, are not. to me sony didn't allow EA access because it would have been competing with psnow, not because they say it's not a good service for their consumers.

prohibiting crossplay is not a good move on behalf of their consumers
I think I shouldn't generalize but it's bafling to see how some people in other threads are eager to defend this kind of practices we consider positive for all consumers.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
News like this don't make me sad because I expect big companies to start acting like complete assholes as soon as they gain the upper hand. What truly saddens me is the legion of platform warriors who will rush to defend any decision not matter how shitty or anti-consumer it is.
m1u7jR6.jpg

I should feel terrible..when you are comparing this

To denying cross console play?

When I think of anti-consumer, I think of your orginal post..MUCH MORE so than cross console play, especially when it's still allowed with PC Gamers.

You're reaching really hard with trying to defend this. It's anti-consumer, plain and simple.

Love this thread. If a company is outselling the competition then any shitty anticonsumer practices are automatically okay lol

Remember the reactions to Microsoft refusing crossplay in the past? Well it's okay when Sony does it because... reasons? I'm genuinely confused by this. Your million dollar companies and CEOs don't deserve your undying praise and worship, plain and simple.

Gold_Loot

People have literally been claiming that Sony is protecting us by not allowing EA Access since the beginning.
Yeah, the EA access thing is stretching it for sure. As far as minecraft goes , this is more of an issue with connecting with XBL rather than Sony being arrogant .MS has the same problem with Final Fantasy 14 , where it's no problem with PS4 connecting with PC players ( as well as other games ) ..

Kill3r7

Bad strategy when you and your friends can play on your tablet/pc/phone. Given which platforms the majority of people play Minecraft on, chances are one of these options will be the better route.

I am sure if Minecraft sales plummet on PS4 they might change their stance. Until then Sony will stay the course. Personally I thought denying EA Access was crazy but it has not affected their relationship with EA or consumers.

Nanashrew

Banned
There's more incentive than just crossplay as well. The update makes it closer to the PC version in a lot of ways.

PS4 version of Minecraft will become the inferior version of Minecraft.

I do. But none of my friends own XBO's, so. To each their own, I guess. =
So it truly doesn't matter to you. Perfectly fair. There's tons of people playing Minecraft who crossplay is relevant to, fwiw. Families, young classmates. Disparate online communities that can bridge for the first time. And so on.

However, you will miss out on dedicated server support as a PS4 player. That has to sting.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
It is understandable, if the player from other console is reported for harassment by a psn player, Sony will be the one responsible, but Sony will have to rely on another company for the ban.

I don't think MS will let Sony ban Xbox live player and vise versa.

GulAtiCa

I do. But none of my friends own XBO's, so. To each their own, I guess. =\

What about PC? This update also means PS4 likely won't be getting servers / realms. So you and your friends wouldn't be able to set up a server to play on through PS4. So Sony is indeed giving us PS4 players a lesser version by blocking this. Not a good thing.

Gaenor

Banned
So it truly doesn't apply to you. Fair. There's tons of people playing Minecraft who crossplay is relevant to, fwiw. Families, young classmates. Disparate online communities that can bridge for the first time. And so on.

Some people have the tendency to just think after themselves and what benefits them directly, nothing new.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
If anything, this thread has been useful in exposing the selfish fanboy morons I need to add to my ignore list in order to make my GAF browsing experience that much smoother.

Afrikan

You're reaching really hard with trying to defend this. It's anti-consumer, plain and simple.

What's the pros and cons from Sony's stand point to deny access?

Lose more potential customers because Xbox gamers wouldn't need to buy a PS4 because they can play with PS4 gamers?

Don't think they care/worried about that. They have huge lead.

Look bad as they do right now in gamer's eyes?

Imo, seems like it has to do with something behind close doors... stipulations, security, or something else.

Even if they are the lead console right now, how do they benefit from blocking cross console play? Especially if they allow it with PC Gamers.

Bravo to MS for making it happen. Here's hoping we get more pressing answer from Sony regarding this, and perhaps someone can make both Phil and Yosp sit down together so they can talk it out why it's not happening as it should.

I'm Pro-CPP and this situation is doing no good to the community. I know I've said in the past that Minecraft CPP is an anomaly and a one-off situation, so here's hoping MS and Nintendo continue this partnership to make Sony look like jackasses.

I understand that's business for them, but if they could accept their consumer demands (and people want cross play) that could end up well for them in the long run. They market their console as #4thegamers, they started this gen saying they're doing things for the gamers when MS did not, and now they're the ones limiting their gamers.

They're the market leader now, but in the market we never know when things can turn upside down.

Edit: By the way, just to be clear, I am not saying Sony is the only one not listening to demands they should. This E3 MS has shown a very similar attitude by not bringing new IPs, but that's discussion for another thread.

But where is the demand though? How many people will really be asking for this? Where are the petitions? Where is this a big deal other than GAF? They don't care unless it hurts their bottom line.

ReaperXL7

People have literally been claiming that Sony is protecting us by not allowing EA Access since the beginning.

Not arguing that people are defending a shitty move but I think at least "some" of this issue has to do with the way people feel generally about EA. EA has done a lot over the years to gain heavy amounts of mistrust and disdain, but I would agree that people should have the option of giving their money to whoever they want.

Out of curiosity do all versions of PC Minecraft work together or are Steam and Windows store users separate also?

Midas

Are there more sources on this? I'm eager to learn more about this. Sony refused? But why? Just because they're "arrogant" or something else? No, I'm not trying to defend this, I'm just curious on exactly _why_.

But where is the demand though? How many people will really be asking for this? Where are the petitions? Where is this a big deal other than GAF? They don't care unless it hurts their bottom line.
This decision has no upsides for Sony and just makes Minecraft on PS4 the poorest option for playing the game moving forward. It's not the world's biggest issue for Sony, but it shouldn't be like pulling teeth to get some of you to acknowledge that it's still a shitty move to make - for the existing PS4 Minecraft players and for the future viability of the world's biggest game on the leading console platform as well.

Top Bottom