• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teasing The Order sneak peak at 1pm PT today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the subtitle year implication is certainly that upcoming iterations could be handled like Assassin's Creed, they share a basic link, and a game design, but the location and time period could vary wildly, and obviously some of these people could be in those games, or they could have totally new casts. It's a good idea.

Yep, the whole game is going to based in that one small scene. This is now getting beyond childish. Did you know that the new Halo is a game about a guy looking out at a landscape. Damn boring.
I'm talking about the entire design philosophy on show here: scripted out the ass. There's nothing interesting about this encounter, you appear incredibly restricted in what you can do and where you can go.

Despite the crappy stream quality, framerate and terrible tearing (I really hope it's just the stream, this would be unplayable), I'm awed with graphics. Lighting in the second scene when flames flicker and are reflected on everything in the room is simply amazing. I dig cinematic games and can't wait for some proper footage. That Twitch PR stunt wasn't a good idea. It does game a disservice.

We can see that the substance they use for healing (is it called Black Water?) works only for the knights and ordinary people can't be healed that way or maybe they aren't doing it for some reason (side effects?) Thermite gun is also a great idea. Thermite is actually used in military but not against humans, a really terrible and inhumane way to be injured or killed. In reality, it would burn through everything it touches and we see some surfaces don't react to it.

It's also nice to see that enemies react differently to being shot in a leg, for example. One of the guys on the balcony grabs the place he is shot at, then is shot again and falls. But it's still a game so they do dumb things like stand in the middle without cover and shoot. With more realism in graphics, situations like that will stand out more and more to players. I hope RAD still have time to improve AI. Bad AI is a widespread issue in today's games.

Now, quality footage please, Sony. Graphics whores, myself included, are waiting.

I truly believe this could be PS4's Uncharted. The first game that truly harnesses the system's raw power and truly showcases what this console is capable of. Though some might say that Infamous:SS and hell, even Killzone:Shadowfall already did that.

Graphically it looks incredible and a fantastic setting too!

Gameplay looks like generic corridor cover shooter 101, uninspiring to say the least.

I'm really not feeling this first round of Sony exclusives, they seem all style and no substance.

I'm sure there will be some exploration in more open area, some detective stuff, puzzle.
Not sure about stealth or item management or skill tree and melee.
Don't know how long they are going to hide the mythical stuff.

I'm hoping E3 reveal. Hopefully there are different types, but if its just one they should make sure they are a big deal to fight.

I think TLoU nailed the pacing of narrow,combat heavy sections which eventually led to a wide open area like a town where you had a lot of area to explore.

Thank you for posting that. The artwork is new to me. If those are some of the environments in the game then i can't wait to see the E3 reveal. Im expecting a blowout and direct-feed capture.

Definitely.

Raist

Banned
Coca-Cola first appeared in 1886, a beautiful black liquid...

123azqxe.jpg

It's not just that it looks boring, it's that it doesn't look well designed. You have to remain stuck in that small enclosure, shooting guys until you're told to shoot a particular spot that blows up the building, at which point your teammate scripts a bullet in his ass and you transition to a dull-looking on-rails section.

That's not good game design by any stretch of the imagination.

Honestly, do you really think that is what the whole game will be like?

I'm looking forward to this - massively, in fact - but I also think it would've been better if they'd shown something a bit more dynamic than this. I'm sure it will be quite, quite linear and that's fine by me, as long as those linear segments are exciting in themselves. I def enjoyed the new TR and that one is extremely linear as well, but with enough variety and variation to keep it interesting for me. Perhaps it helps that I haven't played any of those other classic TPS games listed in this thread, so I guess the whole thing is not as stale for me.

Menome

What?

Do you think my post was actually said in a serious manner? And do you think I didn't notice it was posted before mine considered I actually quoted it?

Well, if that was your intention to sigh at yourself, that's fine and I apologise. It did very much read in the assorted posts like you were sighing at them though.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm talking about the entire design philosophy on show here: scripted out the ass. There's nothing interesting about this encounter, you appear incredibly restricted in what you can do and where you can go.

There were similar moment in TLOU and Uncharted. In fact there are similar moments in hundreds of games. It's just finding something to complain about and you know it.

RulkezX

On the plus side if you substitute The Order for TLOU , this thread is an awful lot like the ones we had when it was first shown.

A million GOAT awards later.....

I guess it helps my hype that I actually own a PS4.

I'm really liking the look of this. Am I worried about gameplay? No. The location/design looks interesting and I am very excited about this. So far for me it's a day one purchase.

There seems to be a lot of hate towards this game that I don't really understand. The last time footage was shown all everyone was saying was "omg quick time events, quick time, all there is gonna be is cut scene followed by quick time"

Now they show some different mechanics of the game now everyone is saying "omg tps, gameplay looks shit/bland/boring"

I don't quite know what the guys developing it have to show to please people. Some of the story? Then we would probably get "omg they have ruined it with too many trailers!"

It's a way away yet, looks graphically awesome, we know it's story based with no mp so maybe we should all just enjoy what we have seen and be patient rather than just hating on something we have only seen a couple of glimpses of

breakfuss

Ok. FINALLY watched it. To my surprise it actually looks really good (graphically). Like, stunning. Better than anything out. I'm a sucker for games with this kind of Victorian setting, though. Reminded me of Dishonored. Steampunk maybe? Not sure if it is.

Only thing that I wasn't too keen on was the aiming. Looked a little TLoU/Uncharted-ish (and I hated gunplay in those). It's hard to say whether it'll be completely derivative with that short of a preview, lol. Calm down GAF! Hopefully what they show at E3 quells concerns.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
lol

It's amazing how people get the wrong idea.

You sigh at my post and I ask you why. You tell me it's because you already posted that in your post ... and I'm supposed to understand that's meant to be funny?

I don't think it's a matter people getting the wrong end of the stick, I think it's a matter of you being so obscure we have no option.

leadbelly

Banned
You sigh at my post and I ask you why. You tell me it's because you already posted that in your post ... and I'm supposed to understand that's meant to be funny?

I don't think it's a matter people getting the wrong end of the stick, I think it's a matter of you being so obscure we have no option.

No, I said because YOU had already posted it. I was sighing at the fact that someone had already posted what I was going to say.

I can't believe this is an issue. lol

The problem with including Joan of Arc is the fact that she was burned at the stake. Kind of hard to include a character that is dead.

OK yes, so was the Marquis de Lafayette at this time, but the difference is, Lafayette died a rather mundane death from illness, whereas Joan died a very dramatic death that is a part of her legacy.

Joan of Arc and her death at the stake are rather inextricable intertwined. It would be hard to imagine a universe where she was still around.

Aren't the characters in The Order not immortal? They could easily write a scenario where Jeanne is still alive. She came back to life with some kind of elixir(similar to Black Water) or is saved by the knights while she's being trialed/put on the stake. The major antagonist being Pierre Cauchon (who arranged the execution of Jeanne) being an agent of the demons in disguise. Would make for some interesting fiction, but unlikely.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Indeed it was, but the GAF reception... It was not a pretty read.

And zombies ZZZzzzZZZ

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. 'I'm sick of zombie games'. It's so frigin' transparent what is at the heart of a lot of these silly complaints.

This game is going to throw a curve ball at some point and I can't wait to see the reaction.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. 'I'm sick of zombie games'. It's so frigin' transparent what is at the heart of a lot of these silly complaints.

This game is going to throw a curve ball at some point and I can't wait to see the reaction.

But I will say, that being tired of zombies games is entirely understandable. If anything the fact TLoU had to rely on it annoyed me. The game would have been equally as effective as an 'I am Alive' style post apocalypse.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
But I will say, that being tired of zombies games is entirely understandable. If anything the fact TLoU had to rely on it annoyed me. The game would have been equally as effective as an 'I am Alive' style post apocalypse.

It's not a zombie game. I get tired of explaining why it isn't in the same way ND did.

StuBurns

Banned
No, he's right. It was just a corridor shooter and an Uncharted re-skin.

Lots and lots of looks too linear and scripted complaints, plus a few looks like Uncharted but slower one's too.

Indeed it was, but the GAF reception... It was not a pretty read.
Okay, I think people are misremembering this a little.

I've just read the first few pages from that thread, and it's almost completely positive.

Oddly, I guessed the release date in that thread. Hell yeah.

nib95

Banned

I've just read the first few pages from that thread, and it's almost completely positive.

I looked through it earlier. Lots of linear and scripted complaints. Perhaps not on the first page though. I think these things take time to catch on with certain folk lol.

lmbotiva

All the sudden GAF is full of senior level designers and senior programers, so much complain in here from a 3 minute trailer with terrible quality, gotta say I love you GAF but sometimes I'm not in love with you, looking forward to the game

Aren't the characters in The Order not immortal? They could easily write a scenario where Jeanne is still alive. She came back to life with some kind of elixir(similar to Black Water) or is saved by the knights while she's being trialed/put on the stake. The major antagonist being Pierre Cauchon (who arranged the execution of Jeanne) being an agent of the demons in disguise. Would make for some interesting fiction, but unlikely.

The problem with this scenario is just what I said in my original reply: the very nature of her death.

She was burned at the stake. There wouldn't have been very much of her left to restore.

I severely doubt the elixir could recreate a person from blackened ash, no matter how salubrious it was! :)

If they were going to include her, they would have to alter the circumstances of her death or (more likely) pretend it never happened. Now this is plausible in a world like this, since it is an alternate history. Just seems a little more difficult given how famous and legendary the death of Joan of Arc is.

Also, I don't think the characters in The Order are truly immortal per se. They clearly still age, just at a incredibly diminished rate. I don't know how effective the elixir is to keep a person like Joan of Arc alive into 1886. That would be like 450+ years after her death.

Kichigo92

Banned
I don't mind what they're going for, I personally can't see how a third person shooter can be revolutionary, Gears certainly wasn't and this certainly isn't. Like Amirox mentioned, it's all about refinement. They're going for that filmic linear experience, it looks fantastic and the atmosphere and setting are intriguing, I'm really up for a third person shooter at them moment and The Order could scratch that itch. I doubt it's going to be just shooting considering the nature of the premise, confident they'll incorporate different gameplay elements, I have faith that RAD and Sony wouldn't want to just make a cover based shooter with no added refinements and gameplay experiences that set it apart in addition to its story.

Now the nature in which they're revealing it is self detrimental because it's never a good representation of the game when you choose to reveal it on a shitty Twitch stream, you're basically asking for, sometimes misguided, technical analysis. Some people just don't feel the gameplay however, and I think that's fine. In the same way I can say it looks great within that 3 minute reveal, others have just as much of a right to say it doesn't.

Ryuuga

Banned
What an awful preview. It actually makes me laugh that someone somewhere thought this was the best snippet of footage to show in order to drive hype for the game. I honestly felt like they've cocked up the marketing for this game since it's reveal.

How can you tell when the video is that compressed?

Better yet, how does he know exactly what tailor made weapons are supposed to sound like? These are not regular time period pistols, from whats been said, their guns a free more custom made for the Order and their missions.

Adry9

How can you tell when the video is that compressed?
So, I can't judge the sound of the game and obviously not the graphics either, then why do they even bother uploading it? Damn, can't wait to see what the game looks like, guess the only way I'll be able to tell is by buying it *sigh*

Better yet, how does he know exactly what tailor made weapons are supposed to sound like? These are not regular time period pistols, from whats been said, their guns a free more custom made for the Order and their missions.

They sound however Ready at Dawn wants them to sound, it's not like someone's gonna say "Hey they are not supposed to sound like that, I got one here look!"

They should have never taken the cocaine out.

Really?

I thought the TLoU reveal was the best of any game I can think of.

Not even close go back and look.

It's positive for the first couple pages then it really starts to devolve.

keit4

Banned
The game looks great, but the gameplay is nothing special. Another TPS with pretty graphics. It doesn't look like the game the PS4 needs this fall.

And lol at the astroturf.

IvorB

So, I can't judge the sound of the game and obviously not the graphics either, then why do they even bother uploading it?

That's actually a very good question, mate. There is nothing to be gleaned about graphics or sound from a YouTube video. But at least we can see some gameplay.

Yeah I remember the TLoU thread....scripted events, uncharted with zombies, another zombie game etc... and then it became GAF's GOTY ahead of GTA by a long shot. E3 demoes really help out a game though.

IvorB

The game looks great, but the gameplay is nothing special. Another TPS with pretty graphics. It doesn't look like the game the PS4 needs this fall.

And lol at the astroturf.

I was also underwhelmed. It looks like a reskinned Uncharted in the clip and I HATE those sections where games pin you down somehow and make you shoot at enemies. It's so tired and over-used. I really don't know why this video was even released. Couldn't they have done some big showpiece at E3 to blow everyone away? Not like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom