• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita) Demo impressions

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So thrilled to hear good impressions for this. I feel like this and Tearaway are the new IPs with the most chance of being system sellers. This is the only one I'm worried might not stay exclusive though.

I don't see how it would not be an exclusive. It's published my SCE, and jointly developed between Marvelous and SCEJ. I'd be surprised if Sony themselves didn't own the IP.

So, did anyone find these secret(???) spots in some areas where you hold X and it transforms your character and boosts there X resistance and defense? I've done it in the first level with ice and the second level with a tree, and it's awesome. I got 2 shots of the second one that I'll upload in a sec.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
i'd like to try this but the whole PSN account lock thing seems like a massive pain.

when i go to restore system it warns me about deactivating the Vita and says if i don't deactivate it now I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DEACTIVATE IT. is that actually true? this seems way too complicated just to sign in with a different psn account. I have a spare memory card but as far as i can tell i need to restore the system to default to be able to use it?

It's simple but takes a few minutes.

1. Remove memory card.
2. Restore system (deactivate, format, restart).
3. Turn off system after reboot.
4. Insert separate memory card (not the original).
5. Go through the setup process again (enter PSN account info, etc.)

This is all you have to do. It takes like 5 minutes, but I've switched back between US and JP accounts many times since getting the Vita.

Sucks that we have to do it at all, but better than nothing, I suppose.

It's simple but takes a few minutes.

1. Remove memory card.
2. Restore system (deactivate, format, restart).
3. Turn off system after reboot.
4. Insert separate memory card (not the original).
5. Go through the setup process again (enter PSN account info, etc.)

This is all you have to do. It takes like 5 minutes, but I've switched back between US and JP accounts many times since getting the Vita.

Sucks that we have to do it at all, but better than nothing, I suppose.

There is no need to backup to the pc or ps3 the content of your regular region memory card?.

So, did anyone find these secret(???) spots in some areas where you hold X and it transforms your character and boosts there X resistance and defense? I've done it in the first level with ice and the second level with a tree, and it's awesome. I got 2 shots of the second one that I'll upload in a sec.
Okay, well, I got the 2 shots but I found a spot where it changed my bone fist or whatever that one default spell is! This game has so much hidden shit.

iM5tttv4xtURh.jpg
ik3hZCj0pMcr8.jpg

ibaaXIR1daGvEA.jpg
iAPxJsoNJstMw.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There is no need to backup to the pc or ps3 the content of your regular region memory card?.

Nope. Just make sure you've removed the memory card before starting the system restore process.

Carl

No, the content on your memory card will still be there when you go back to it. You're using a separate memory card to go on JPN PSN so it doesn't effect your other card.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Okay, well, I got the 2 shots but I found a spot where it changed my bone fist or whatever that one default spell is! This game has so much hidden shit.

There are some that will transform you, and others that will straight up give you extra XP. It's pretty nice.

So is this game solely mission based or will there be a full world to explore?

Solely mission based, I believe.

softie

Damn, Kyle (twentytwo22) does such an awesome job of providing cool videos for this demo. Many many thumbs should be held up for that. :)

Edit: I have one little question about sacrificing monsters. Do they disappear for other players when doing so, so that you have to share them among other players?

And did I noticed it right, that other monsters can eat up fallen monsters so that you can't sacrifice them anymore? So you could do stuff like laying out corpses as bait? :-D

panda21

cool, thanks, that wasn't too hard actually

when i stick my old memory card back in do i need to go through the restore thing again?

any other demos i should check out while i'm here?

DBT85

Sony should just scrap Vita and release this game on iOS. We all know that's where the big money is.

iOS is the future. All games will be on iOS. There's no point to have dedicated gaming hardware anymore.

Every post you make like this makes me imagine you are sitting there cutting yourself while writing them. I hope you aren't, blood is a bugger for keyboards.

thetrin

Damn, Kyle (twentytwo22) does such an awesome job of providing cool videos for this demo. Many many thumbs should be held up for that. :)

Edit: I have one little question about sacrificing monsters. Do they disappear for other players when doing so, so that you have to share them among other players?

And did I noticed it right, that other monsters can eat up fallen monsters so that you can't sacrifice them anymore? So you could do stuff like laying out corpses as bait? :-D

Yep. So far, the only one I noticed that does that is the Orc, but I'm sure there are others that do that too.

|ync

Sony should just scrap Vita and release this game on iOS. We all know that's where the big money is.

Jesus, there was no one else in here shitting up the thread to you decided to go and do it yourself? I swear some of the vita's biggest "supporters" here on gaf are some of the worst offenders of the vita's doomed lolol crap..

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah, it seems that nodes (be it monsters or chests) can be used only once, even in multiplayer.

I've played around some more, cleared the whole prologue and 1 Avalon mission in single player and one (jack o lantern) in multiplayer. Had a blast, but I really wish I knew where can I get more Ice Shields and/or those beginner Ice Blasts, need them for fusion, but I seem to be getting other magic all the time.
Since I've played the game at TGS, the thing that surprised me the most was the story in the prologue, so good. Also, dat music.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Jesus, there was no one else in here shitting up the thread to you decided to go and do it yourself? I swear some of the vita's biggest "supporters" here on gaf are some of the worst offenders of the vita's doomed lolol crap..

There is a reason I ignore Takao.

ryushe

Finished downloading it and just remembered about my crippling OCD about things being unorganized.

So, has anyone tried putting back in their main Memory Card yet? Does all the game bubbles rearrange, as well as the wallpapers on your main screen disappear? I remember it doing this before when I downloaded the Tales of... game off the JPN network. If so, I might just be out, heh.

A.R.K

Is this anything like Demon's Souls? I will buy a Vita the day we have a Demon's souls game on it. I hope Sony creates a Demon's Soul version for Vita

thetrin

I know the game is made with co op in mind, but I hope soloing is also fun...

I'd say it is. You can do the Avalon (multiplayer) content with two AI partners at your side, which is nice.

I'm just more of a multiplayer person, to be honest, so I do gravitate towards online when it's available, but I do like the way they set up the partner system.

Is this anything like Demon's Souls? I will buy a Vita the day we have a Demon's souls game on it. I hope Sony creates a Demon's Soul version for Vita

It's a bit Demon's Soulsish in aesthetic and monster design, but it's much more Monster Hunter than it is Demon's Souls.

softie

He's just toughening all the Vita supporters for the upcoming hate. He's fighting for the good side! Embrace him and his aspiration for Vita glory!

;-P

Yeah, it seems that nodes (be it monsters or chests) can be used only once, even in multiplayer.

I've played around some more, cleared the whole prologue and 1 Avalon mission in single player and one (jack o lantern) in multiplayer. Had a blast, but I really wish I knew where can I get more Ice Shields and/or those beginner Ice Blasts, need them for fusion, but I seem to be getting other magic all the time.
Since I've played the game at TGS, the thing that surprised me the most was the story in the prologue, so good. Also, dat music.

Really helpful infos, thanks alot!
Music is fantastic in this game, I'm definitely hoping for a soundtrack in the west or perhaps on PSN. :)

Yep. So far, the only one I noticed that does that is the Orc, but I'm sure there are others that do that too.

Ha! I hope there'll be other monster with which you can do those kind of neat stuff. I really like those little details that you can use for your own advantage. :-D

JJD

I'd say it is. You can do the Avalon (multiplayer) content with two AI partners at your side, which is nice.

I'm just more of a multiplayer person, to be honest, so I do gravitate towards online when it's available, but I do like the way they set up the partner system.

That's great! I didn't knew about that!

Thanks for the info man!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
For anyone who wants to do some serious progress in the demo - here is the best Japanese wiki that I was able to find. I know they tell you which attacks you get before each chapter, but checking each one is a pain.
The wiki isn't perfect - for example there is no info on where to get specific spells on the spell page, so you have to use search/browse chapter subpages, but it's much faster than checking all this in the game anyway.

thetrin

For anyone who wants to do some serious progress in the demo - here is the best Japanese wiki that I was able to find. I know they tell you which attacks you get before each chapter, but checking each one is a pain.
The wiki isn't perfect - for example there is no info on where to get specific spells on the spell page, so you have to use search/browse chapter subpages, but it's much faster than checking all this in the game anyway.

I'm looking to do the multiplayer harpy tonight. Might grind a few levels before doing so, though. I'm still 6/7.

Thanks for the vids, looking good. The hands are too big for my liking though but probably less intrusive when actually playing.

The only way I see this not remaining exclusive is if Vita dies completely, or something of the like.
A PS3 port is always a possibility.

That market will be taken up by Nintendo soon.

thetrin

Cerberus owned our 4 person party and the other people were 10/X...

Yeah, I'm not surprised. I have to level up some spells anyway, so I need to farm for those as well.

panda21

this seems cool, its like a mix of various parts of Demon's souls, Monster Hunter and Bayonetta. the graphics aren't great and it definitely doesn't feel like 60fps to me, but the art style makes up for it.

the spells system seems cool, i liked the way the ice i was firing stuck onto the dudes legs for a while (maybe that has some kind of status effect?), but i don't really know that much about the game - if its just the spells in the demo its a bit lame but if there are a lot (like at least 20) then it would be awesome.

the first monster you fight thats like a snake with a human head on top of its mouth is amazing and reminds me a lot of bayonetta, the onion dude who turns into a regular knight when you defeat him was cool and felt very demon's soulsy, and the cat bus monster was pretty horrific

PrimeRib_

iOS is the future. All games will be on iOS. There's no point to have dedicated gaming hardware anymore.

No. the widespread permeation of iOS uncovered a hidden market of gamers, many of which that were not handheld gamers anyway. Sony aimed for the underserved, hardcore market. Whether it exists enough to sustain profits, remains to be seen, but it's ludicrous to think iOS can satisfy the entire realm of portable gaming.

Blanket statements like these are nothing more than amateur attempts to incite argument. If you're not going to bother backing it up with something substantial, it's not worth sharing, especially on a Vita thread.

thetrin

this seems cool, its like a mix of various parts of Demon's souls, Monster Hunter and Bayonetta. the graphics aren't great and it definitely doesn't feel like 60fps to me, but the art style makes up for it.

the spells system seems cool, i liked the way the ice i was firing stuck onto the dudes legs for a while (maybe that has some kind of status effect?), but i don't really know that much about the game - if its just the spells in the demo its a bit lame but if there are a lot (like at least 20) then it would be awesome.

the first monster you fight thats like a snake with a human head on top of its mouth is amazing and reminds me a lot of bayonetta, the onion dude who turns into a regular knight when you defeat him was cool and felt very demon's soulsy, and the cat bus monster was pretty horrific

There are TONS of spells in the game, I'm sure (and the game locks you out of your passive bonus tattoos until later in the demo). The demo itself has a bunch of different spells that you unlock, some unique to the post prologue content.

The ice sticking to the leg is a sign that you are slowing them down. Sometimes, if you get enough ice in in rapid succession you can freeze them in a block of ice and wail on them for a bit.

DiscoJer

No. the widespread permeation of iOS uncovered a hidden market of gamers, many of which that were not handheld gamers anyway. Sony aimed for the underserved, hardcore market. Whether it exists enough to sustain profits, remains to be seen, but it's ludicrous to think iOS can satisfy the entire realm of portable gaming.

Blanket statements like these are nothing more than amateur attempts to incite argument. If you're not going to bother backing it up with something substantial, it's not worth sharing, especially on a Vita thread.

He's being sarcastic. Mostly. There's a slight bit of despair since he's a dedicated portable fan.

Top Bottom