• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Stick of Truth previews (minor story spoilers)

So very excite

i00Yukg80ZCaH.gif

Has anything been said about how "open" this RPG is, I can't see this being anything but a very linear game, going from point A to B, etc. which is not how I like my RPG's.

The way they talked about mapping out the town early on makes me think it will be more open. I can't imagine them going through the whole process of figuring out how the town is physically mapped out without you traveling back and forth somehow.

This game needs a release date. The art is crazy how it looks like it's taken straight from the show.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
One more preview article over at GI.

Tim Turi said:
The Obsidian developer at the controls guides New Kid through the halls of the school, which are crawling with children wearing makeshift armor and carrying swords and hammers. The two-sided conflict is between the elves, led by Stan and Kyle, and the humans, led by Grand Wizard Eric Cartman. Bumping into one of these wandering make-believers is inevitable, and launches players into a separate battle screen.

Combat looks similar to your standard turn-based RPG action, but with a South Park flair. Timed button presses augment standard attacks and initiate dodges, similar to the Paper Mario series. Whacking an enemy with a hammer bloodies them and produces a sickeningly convincing sound. The Stick of Truth adds creativity with its “magic spells,” which involve combining household items to deadly results. New Kid casts a fireball with hairspray and a lighter, and electrocutes a hapless child with a bucket of water and a car battery. These visceral special abilities help preserve the show’s cringe-inducing violence while opening up fantastical battle options.

Creativity helps in combat, but it’s also necessary for navigating the school’s dangerous hallways. Butters and New Kid encounter an enemy kid standing on a huge rubbish blockade. Normally, New Kid could use his powerful fart ability to knock him from the hill, but a strategically placed fan makes this difficult. Players have a few options in this dilemma. They can either trigger a sprinkler above the fan to short it out, or use an anal probe satellite to teleport into the vents above. Once within, Butters and New Kid harness the power of the Underpants Gnomes to shrink themselves and navigate the narrow ventilation shaft. These multi-path situations look like entertaining breaks from the otherwise straightforward combat.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...-in-south-park_3a00_-the-stick-of-truth-.aspx

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I really think it'll be this year. The game was nearly finished when Ubisoft bought it. My prediction is that a release date will come at E3, along with game play.

I'm sticking with my September 3 release date prediction - before GTA on September 17 and the new South Park season on September 25.

the game was not anywhere near finished. the 'extra time' must have been a godsend to Obsidian

The combat screens that were shown always scared me because I thought it was some side-scrolling action RPG. If this is turn based and is compared to Paper Mario as in gameplay, then that's a HUGE reassurance to me. I'm definitely picking this up because of that and I love South Park.

Hopefully a release date is revealed soon.

SoulUnison

Banned
Fart powers? Eh...

Hopefully there's some kind of skill tree system so I don't have to put any points into farting.

Top Bottom