• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Toadette

Banned
this game defo was in development hell

hope matt & trey make a squeal to prove things can go smoothly

maybe different publisher that wont censor anything

wonder if someone on youtube will edit the game into episodes since its basically season 18

RangersFan

fuck me, just did a 2nd playthrough and ended up with 119 friends, 1 short of 120 for the achievement FUCK. Apparently you have to press back button right away after Clyde adds you to accept. 3 achievements short, collect all weapons, collect all costumes, and friend everyone. Doubt i'll go through a 3rd time :(

Eusis

It's probably the best licensed game since the Batman ones, no?
Without a doubt. Not that there was much opportunity for anything else to rise up in that time frame.

... And I was always cautiously optimistic at worst. They clearly wanted to be more serious with it, Obsidian may have had a rough history but that was mainly becuase they usually made good-at-worst games saddled with bugs, and Matt Stone and Trey Parker were clearly more invested this time. And it paid off, though the bugs were there but not AS bad as some of the other games and its worst issue was perhaps being a bit too short, and even then like I said before only 10 more hours at most would've worked, even 5 might be better.

ampere

Just bought this tonight and played for about an hour. Bought PC version on Steam.

Loving it. The jokes are great and pretty relentless. The 4th wall joke with Cartman's mom was hilarious. And the comment about white fighter... rofl. I rolled Jew.

I'll probably beat it in about a week. I can see myself getting hooked, but tonight I do need to sleep.

Replicant

fuck me, just did a 2nd playthrough and ended up with 119 friends, 1 short of 120 for the achievement FUCK. Apparently you have to press back button right away after Clyde adds you to accept. 3 achievements short, collect all weapons, collect all costumes, and friend everyone. Doubt i'll go through a 3rd time :(

I read that Clyde is not part of the 120 numbers (he's 121) and he'll de-friend you anyway after the first few minutes. I had him on my friends list then he disappeared after that event.

RangersFan

I read that Clyde is not part of the 120 numbers (he's 121) and he'll de-friend you anyway after the first few minutes. I had him on my friends list then he disappeared after that event.

OMG, I just went through the list, fucking polly prissy pants, I forgot gonna go get it now yes!

I just beat this. It's definitely one of the best games I've played in a long time. The total package. It knew that you were there for a South Park experience and delivered on that 100%. The places that game dares to go in the last couple of hours are... pretty fucking crazy. They seem pretty normal for South Park (although even then there are a couple of extremes the show, to my knowledge, hasn't even gone to), but for a video game they were pretty nutso.

I'd gladly pay for any kind of story DLC, it was just that good.

Also Velocirapstar is the best Chinpokomon.

kai3345

Banned
Just beat it, I still need to go clear up some big side-quests like
Al-Gore and The Sewers

The game was awesome, but the final boss was a bit underwhelming. I found the previous boss much more interesting.

Is there any post-game content/secret bosses aside from the ones I mentioned?

Beardz

Just one question, is there a way to unfriend Al Gore? at the end of the game the bastard was sending messages all time!

RangersFan

Just 100% it, only the 4th game I've done it for. Was easy getting the last 2 (complete all costumes, collect all weapons and costumes), once I realized that you can sell them for the cash needed to buy all missing items. You only need to possess them once for them to count.

Morzak

Finished the game yesterday. I really enjoyed it, the story and humor are great. The game pulls some really nasty stuff that is right up there with the show.
The gameplay was just a bit to easy, especially going into late game as a Jew it was basically, a cakewalk after leveling up the last skill in combination with some of the talents of buddies. This is probably keeping me away from a 2nd play-through even though I think it could very well be my GOTY.

MattVT

Just saw that South Park: The Stick of Truth is Amazon's Gold Box Deal of the Day today (March 25) in the U.S. store. It's on sale for $42.99 for PS3, Xbox 360, and PC if anyone is interested.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on it.

NotLiquid

After finally digging into my import copy yesterday I'm convinced that this is going to be one of my favorite games once this year is over. Even if it's allegedly short (I haven't gotten too far yet I feel), it seems replayable as hell. This is easily one of the best ways of experiencing South Park, they captured it perfectly.

Question about what seems to be an important plot point:
How important is the decision of choosing to fight for Kyle or Cartman after recruiting the Goths?

DedValve

Banned
After finally digging into my import copy yesterday I'm convinced that this is going to be one of my favorite games once this year is over. Even if it's allegedly short (I haven't gotten too far yet I feel), it seems replayable as hell. This is easily one of the best ways of experiencing South Park, they captured it perfectly.

How important is the decision of choosing to fight for Kyle or Cartman after recruiting the Goths?

Very important. Ask yourself this, do you want your friend cartman to take over the world or do you want a filthy jew to take over the world? Or better yet, do you want jesus christ to take over the world or do you support jew hitler?

The answer is simple
not jew hitler

FHIZ

Just one question, is there a way to unfriend Al Gore? at the end of the game the bastard was sending messages all time!

You go back to his storage unit and fight him. Then you get another Manbearpig related quest after that

For your question, it's not very important, just basically which achievement/trophy you want, and to get both, just save before you choose then reload, and do the other one.

Finally finished it last night. It is easily the best recreation of an existing IP in a videogame ever. I loved every minute of it.

For a sequel, I would love for the completed costume sets to actually have different abilities ala Costume Quest. This way the combat will have more variation to it instead of being locked into a specific class. The new kid power could be a chameleon which allows him to be whatever he wears.

I am glad I got the grand wizard edition and hope we get a sequel.

Chitown B

Finally finished it last night. It is easily the best recreation of an existing IP in a videogame ever. I loved every minute of it.

For a sequel, I would love for the completed costume sets to actually have different abilities ala Costume Quest. This way the combat will have more variation to it instead of being locked into a specific class. The new kid power could be a chameleon which allows him to be whatever he wears.

I am glad I got the grand wizard edition and hope we get a sequel.

what do you mean locked to a class? I can wear any of the costumes.

what do you mean locked to a class? I can wear any of the costumes.
I'm saying instead of being locked into one class for the whole game, have the class be locked to the costume you are wearing like in Costume Quest. If you are wearing a ninja outfit, you are a thief type class. If you are wearing a bathrobe, you are a wizard. This way as you gain new outfits, you unlock new classes and vary the gameplay.

Chitown B

I'm saying instead of being locked into one class for the whole game, have the class be locked to the costume you are wearing like in Costume Quest. If you are wearing a ninja outfit, you are a thief type class. If you are wearing a bathrobe, you are a wizard. This way as you gain new outfits, you unlock new classes and vary the gameplay.

yeah I guess. But I understand why they did it that way. Otherwise you'd run out of leveling points pretty fast, spread over all those classes.

yeah I guess. But I understand why they did it that way. Otherwise you'd run out of leveling points pretty fast, spread over all those classes.
Of course. I'm suggesting you rip out all the rpg systems as they are unnecessary in a rpg-lite type game. Leveling was a non-event. There was no skill tree or attribute points to allocate. By the midway point of the game, I was max-leveled and there was no sense of accomplishment or "aw wish I could level more". It was all very ho-hum. Just tie the level and ability system to the costumes so that it allows for more variety in gameplay. For the most part, it was rare for you to have access to weapons or equipment that was above your level in the game anyway.

Funny how this thread pops up. I am doing a second playthrough on Expert as a Fighter. Not having much trouble because I plugged a controller into the PC. I suggest an Xbox controller for this game because the keyboard controls make it much harder than necessary. The fart tutorials are 100% easier on a controller because analog is so much better than toggling between keys. Hoping to quickly get past the 2nd night so I can get most of the side quests.

Just beat it. Loved all the fan service and references. It was nice how it tied directly in to the events of the last season too. I wonder what we would have gotten if THQ had finished it.

Chitown B

taking it slow, finding all the things in one go. Don't really think it would hold up on a second playthrough, so doing it all now.

Finaj

How do you do the abortion part with a mouse and keyboard? I keep screwing up even though I'm only doing what the indicators say.

Binabik15

So, PS3 version or pc version? I want to buy it now that the German version is finally (coming out?).

There are some great performances from the German voice actors, in the regular show at least. I want to play it in both English and German.

Eusis

So, PS3 version or pc version? I want to buy it now that the German version is finally (coming out?).

There are some great performances from the German voice actors, in the regular show at least. I want to play it in both English and German.
If you have a decent PC go with that. Even though the game's locked at 30 FPS to retain the feel of the show the PC version runs more consistently and at higher potential resolutions, nevermind modding opportunities.

The Randy Fart tutorial now complete, but it will detract from my overall opinion of the game. 20 minutes of repeated fail attempts, even after watching two youtube videos on how to get past it. Sure it's simple, once you know how to do it, but its distractingly dumb, and completely brought my enjoyment to a stop. I'm going to stop and try to pick it up again tomorrow.

I'd like to take a moment to say how happy it makes me that there's a Jakovasaur loading icon in this game.

Best forgotten episode of anything ever.

The Randy Fart tutorial now complete, but it will detract from my overall opinion of the game. 20 minutes of repeated fail attempts, even after watching two youtube videos on how to get past it. Sure it's simple, once you know how to do it, but its distractingly dumb, and completely brought my enjoyment to a stop. I'm going to stop and try to pick it up again tomorrow.

it also doesn't help that the process for doing the farts in the tutorials is different than how you do them in battle or in the field

Stitch

Gold Member

there's no dub, it's english with subs... PC version is also less censored and there seems to be an uncensor patch on the steam forum.

CassSept

I agree, Randy Fart tutorial was the low point of the game for me. It's completely unintuitive and it's presented in a way that has completely nothing to do with what they expect of you to do. Other tutorials were passable, but the sneaky whatever was terribad. I was stuck at this point, I looked up on youtube how to do it and I still couldn't figure out what the intended way to complete it is.

Chitown B

seriously? I mean, I failed the first few tries but it was not that hard.

it also doesn't help that the process for doing the farts in the tutorials is different than how you do them in battle or in the field

Agreed here. I thought I'd have to attune them, but no.

Alrus

Finished the game today as a mage. Started with normal difficulty then moved on to hard because it was too easy. Even hard is rather easy.

Overall I enjoyed it with all the fan service and great South Park humor, but the gameplay part gets a bit boring by the end, don't really feel like going on a second playthrough.

Also I got 120 friends (which is all of them I think) but the achievement didn't show up, guess I did something wrong at some point?

I also never had an issue with the farting tutorial somehow, although the prompts could have been a bit clearer but they're nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be after reading comments on the internet.

Top Bottom