• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Amir0x

Banned
Finally started playing this. It is pretty amazing how much South Park fanservice they have packed into every inch of this game. I'm not like enamored with the gameplay, but as a fan of South Park actually walking around the town and seeing all the easter eggs is really pleasant.

Just hit this part. I'm about to start my third try. Obsidian is a trash developer. They make entertaining games but they don't spend a dime on QA. Its shameful.

I'm not sure you can blame the QA. Many times they find these bugs, but the developer doesn't have the time or money to fix them.

MarkusRJR

So I took a break once I reached day two and now that I started playing again I'm having a lot of trouble. I'm level 8 decked out in a ton of level 8 equipment, yet I'm having tons if trouble against
Nazi zombies.
no matter what I do I end up doing very little damage, and they do tons.

Any tips? I'm the swordsman/fighter class (forgot what they called it specifically).

Gxgear

So I took a break once I reached day two and now that I started playing again I'm having a lot of trouble. I'm level 8 decked out in a ton of level 8 equipment, yet I'm having tons if trouble against
Nazi zombies.
no matter what I do I end up doing very little damage, and they do tons.

Any tips? I'm the swordsman/fighter class (forgot what they called it specifically).

Bleeds and burn debuffs. Bow with x3 attacks + bleed and burn modifiers wrecks things, I used the mongorian bow up until the one with x4 attacks. Hopefully you've invested some points into horn of irritation, it's a great opener.

Dakota47

This must be the funniest game I have ever played. I am laughing out loud a lot. I don't particularly like the gameplay, but I think I've got the hang of it now. I am having fun, that's what counts though.

Randam

yeah, sometimes normal attacks do 1 point of damage no matter what.
need to use special attacks and such.

am at the final boss fight and do they really want me, to do that extremly long fight all over again, only because I screwed up the last part, where I had to
fart on kenny's balls
?

I wasn't able to fill up my mana and lost..

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm looking to purchase this on Steam for a friend. Any specific shops I should avoid to make sure it's the uncensored version? I'm honestly not entirely sure how regional censoring works on Steam.

Randam

Afaik, if you live in a region where the game is censored, it doesn't matter where you bought it. Pc version will be cut.

But you can make the pc version uncut now.

Played the German version without cuts.

gray_fox224

If you find the show funny, yes. If you're in it purely for the gameplay then no.

I personally loved the combat, I found it to be really satisfying timing attacks and blocking, the problem is that the game is a bit easy and fights don't last more than a couple minutes.

It's definitely not "poor" as the dude above me said, but it's not worth $60 if you aren't interested in South Park. From a pure gameplay perspective, wait for $20-30 but if you're in it for a mixture of the combat & South Park, go for it now imo.

thks

LAM09

A bit late to the party, but I just finished it. It is by far the funniest game I have ever played, but I do have to agree with the consensus that; it wasn't really challenging apart from a few battles.

spekkeh

Banned
Oh man, it took me some warming to it. But ever since you go to
the kingdom in the North
the game is just awesome, and the ending bit pure genius. It's a good thing Parker and Stone know you need to end on a high note, unlike so many other games.

Dakota47

I've come to the point of the game where I have to make a choice between
the KKK and the Elven faction
. Is this choice in any way significant?

Linius

I just had to use the sneaky fart for the first time and I encountered some
nazi zombies
:lol

Great game so far.

Dakota47

Patch 03 for PC is available. Notes:

• Allows WASD keys to work as arrow keys during the Goth Dance mini-game.
  • Fixes a potential hang in the counter attack tutorial battle.
  • Fixed an issue where accessories would not show up on the player if a new game was started while having the Hoff face equipped.
  • Fixed an issue where the outfit might now show up on the player during the costume changes in the Photo Dojo.
  • Fixed an issue where using Mr. Slave in the Giggling Donkey could cause issues in the fight.
  • Fixed an issue where the dire bear quest may not properly advance in Canada.
  • Fixed an issue where content could be skipped if grounded in the Lost Forest.
  • Fixed a few typos in messages.
  • Fixed a potential crash while playing in the Portuguese language.
  • Adjusted the difficulty of the Alien Probe mini-game.
  • Adjusted the difficulty of the pooping mini-game.
  • Adjusted the visuals of the magic tutorials while using PC controls.

Jado

Banned
I'm looking to purchase this on Steam for a friend. Any specific shops I should avoid to make sure it's the uncensored version? I'm honestly not entirely sure how regional censoring works on Steam.

I've noticed the Steam store changes (currency and such) if I'm still logged into my VPN. This might allow you to get the uncensored version from another country.

edit: Check any store's TOS before you consider this. It may not be allowed.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm a huge fan of both RPGs and South Park... I'll admit I had a lot of reservations with the game, but for the most part, it delivered, and the fan service is amazing...

I'm at max level and just about finished with the
Canada
and the game went from "good" to "amazing" in the past few hours. Kinda wish the whole game was like
Canada
! The whole scene at the
abortion clinic
in particular was amazing...

I don't know if it's because I own the PS3 version, but the game does run like crap. Lots of loading times and slowdown when you transition between screens. I also had a few freezes on me. Those issues, the fact there are a lot of missables (and apparently, no new game plus), and the strange, uneven balance/difficulty
Al Gore and the secret service were like really hard
, but most fights are over in seconds with them getting very few hits in.

Also does this game remind anyone else of Radiata Stories? Large town with lots of friends to recruit, and a human vs. elf plot
where you can pick a side

Hollycat

Rented this for Xbox 360 on Redbox.

LOVED it. It's like an awesome combination of South Park, Super Mario RPG, and Earthbound.

My biggest complaint is that I suffered a gamebreaking glitch toward the end of the game.

Spoilers:

After defeating Craig, I walked up the stairs towards the top of the tower. Instead of triggering the next event where you see Randy and Mr. Slave, the game just showed my character in that room, except it was empty. Then, the fucking credits rolled. I thought it was a joke, because it seemed like something Matt and Trey would do, so I actually started laughing. I "skipped" the credits, and then it took me to a game over screen!

When I hit continue, I was still in the room, but Mr. Slave, Randy, and all the kids were there, but they weren't saying anything. I was confused as hell, so I went to the next room and triggered the final boss fight and beat the game.

I missed the ENTIRE part of going inside Mr. Slave's ass and seeing The Sparrow Prince, Catata Fish, Mr. Hat, etc. Didn't even realize I missed it until I looked up a Let's Play to figure out exactly what happened in my game.

So yeah....pretty much got screwed there, but I still enjoyed the game immensely.

That room is actually in the game twice, once before the slave dungeon, and once after, but the two versions are separate because they lead to different areas. It sounds like the game accidentally opened both versions of the same time so it didn't spawn in Mr. Slave and the others. In otherwords, when you tried to walk to the next room it set off the game over that's there if you don't go into Mr. Slave, but it placed your checkpoint in the version that's there after the dungeon. If that makes sense.

Source: absolutely nothing, I'm guessing bro.

Dakota47

Finished the game. I've enjoyed myself immensely. For a South Park fan this game is pretty much ideal. So much fan service. I'll probably round up all the side-quests now to see what I've missed.

First impressions: This game is very very buggy. I'm in the tutorial and stuff just keeps not triggering. Like, Cartman tells me to use a power attack aaaaand pressing square does nothing.

Hollycat

First impressions: This game is very very buggy. I'm in the tutorial and stuff just keeps not triggering. Like, Cartman tells me to use a power attack aaaaand pressing square does nothing.

Maybe your timing is off. I never had any bugs in combat that weren't purely visual.

djtiesto

Fuck. So apparently I can't get all of the friends because I talked to Cartman before Clyde at the beginning of the game...

the missables are by far my biggest problem with this game. Every single game should be like the Shadow Hearts series when it comes to missables - not have any at all (provide alternate ways to get some items/fight some enemies).

I think I'm almost done
up to the raid on Clyde's house
. Might as well finish it this weekend...

Linius

Haven't encountered any bugs either. There was one frustrating bit with Randy and learning a new ability though. But that had to do with timing. Only noticable error I keep spotting is that the lip sync is off a lot.

9:07 hours on the clock and I just woke up to begin my third day in South Park. It was a fun night leading up to the third day.
I also unfriended Al Gore right away. Basterd be spamming mah timeline.

EDIT

After exactly 12:45 hours I've beaten the main story. It was a fun ride. I'll make sure to put in a few more hours for some side stuff. From the top of my head I still need one underpant, one homeless camp and two hiding kids for starters. Also a a ton of achievements to get. I only have 70 friends after beating the game, that seems like not too many lol

Linius

I have to say that it is rather annoying there are so many missable achievements in this game. Without 'cheating' you can never get everything in one run. Now it turns out I missed one freaking Chinpokemon during the story (end of day 3 even) holding me from a 75G achievement :/

And there are a couple of more achievements like that you can only get in the main story. And despite the fact it's a fun game I can't be bothered to play it twice just for a couple of achievements.

Meanwhile I'm at 99/103 for clothing/equipment. The last four are all missables :(

Calabi

I cant believe I'm stuck on this game. I cant get past the abortion scene, I'm wishing I had the cut version. It makes no sense I keep failing and I dont know why I'm failing.
Every time he sucks up his testicle and there's no way to let go

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I cant believe I'm stuck on this game. I cant get past the abortion scene, I'm wishing I had the cut version. It makes no sense I keep failing and I dont know why I'm failing.
Every time he sucks up his testicle and there's no way to let go
You're supposed to push the stick in the opposite direction. There should be a prompt.

Randam

I have to say that it is rather annoying there are so many missable achievements in this game. Without 'cheating' you can never get everything in one run. Now it turns out I missed one freaking Chinpokemon during the story (end of day 3 even) holding me from a 75G achievement :/

And there are a couple of more achievements like that you can only get in the main story. And despite the fact it's a fun game I can't be bothered to play it twice just for a couple of achievements.

Meanwhile I'm at 99/103 for clothing/equipment. The last four are all missables :(

so?
fuck achievements/trophies.

Linius

so?
fuck achievements/trophies.

I'm not even much of an achievement hunter but sometimes I feel like useless collecting shit to score some more achievements and put in some extra hours. So then it's a bummer I have to go trough the story at least twice for a lot of achievements. I'd like it better if they design a game in such a way that collecting stuff doesn't require another playtrough. You should be able to backtrack locations and find collectables.

blanco21

I can't put my range weapon away anymore...is this a glitch, or my equipment or ?? I'm playing the 360 version. LT usually puts it away but now i have to pause / go into the inventory

Hollycat

zxeucpm.jpg
o7YvIJH.jpg

Still better looking than the new Rambo game.

sn00zer

Game was buggy, gameplay was broken in favor of the player, too many useless items, out of combat item switching was cumbersome at best......most fun Ive had playing a game in a long time....perfect for SP fans.....really hope a sequel comes eventually, so much left to explore.

djtiesto

Game was buggy, gameplay was broken in favor of the player, too many useless items, out of combat item switching was cumbersome at best......most fun Ive had playing a game in a long time....perfect for SP fans.....really hope a sequel comes eventually, so much left to explore.

Totally agree with you... the game difficulty was extremely unbalanced (I hit max level sometime before entering
Canada
), ran into a few freezes, and the out of combat item/command/fart switching was really awkward. Especially since there were a ton of environmental puzzles.

Playing the ps3 version I only ran into 1 freeze. I loved htis game, I wish that I could erase my memories of it just so that I could play it again for the first time.

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
This game is awesome, I love it! Working on my second play-through the last couple of days. I managed to get all the collectible stuff done the first time around so I can kind of speed run through this second time, just need the No Child Left Behind achievement.

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
Good on you for not missing anything! :D It kinda sucked when I realized I'd permanently missed some friends my first time through.

Thanks but I certainly did not accomplish that on my own. I cheated and read a guide about miss-able items but even then I still had to reload at least a couple times due to missing one item and one friend. It is hard to fathom anyone getting 100% of the collectible items on the first try without any kind of guide. I have no doubt those people exist but I am not one of them, lol.

Top Bottom