• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Look, I don't have a problem with this episode being utterly ridiculous. That's fine. I like ridiculous. Samurai Champloo's pilot might be my favorite first episode of pretty much anything, and it's absurd the whole way through. This was great when it was absurd. The ending caught me off-guard, but the whole sequence of fleeing the aliens, up until that point, was totally awesome.

The first half of the episode is just bad, though. There's no tension, all the humor is flat, and even the fanservice lacks any sort of wit. It makes me worried about what'll happen in future episodes. I also feel like dub Dandy doesn't quite have enough charisma to convince me to ride the flow with him.

We'll see.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Did you even listen to the Narrarator? He explained the entirety of the plot, the main cast's motives, and the generic shonen "YOU ARE THE KEY" trope all in one episode. It gave a hell of a lot of lore regarding the universe.

Don't even. Show has plenty of story.

Even the smaller details like Dandy's equipment being shitty give us info. It's all there, it just rapid fired quite a bit. I think the first half being so boobified might have caused too heavy a crunch for infodump, hence why the narrator blows through Campbell's condensed chicken soup versions of the plot.

I dunno dude, I'm just not seeing the negativity you are.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So basically this thread is gonna turn into Kill la Kill vs Space Dandy shitfest? Think I'll avoid this thread.

Silky

Banned
I don't like the narrator.

Yep. Show's not for you.

So basically this thread is gonna turn into Kill la Kill vs Space Dandy shitfest? Think, I'll avoid this thread.

I really hope not, as both shows are great in their own rights. But that's the first episode for everything. In a few episodes the reception will be better, just like how KLK was.

If it weren't for JoJo being released though Space Dandy would be anime of 2014, easily.

Look, I don't have a problem with this episode being utterly ridiculous. That's fine. I like ridiculous. Samurai Champloo's pilot might be my favorite first episode of pretty much anything, and it's absurd the whole way through. This was great when it was absurd. The ending caught me off-guard, but the whole sequence of fleeing the aliens, up until that point, was totally awesome.

The first half of the episode is just bad, though. There's no tension, all the humor is flat, and even the fanservice lacks any sort of wit. It makes me worried about what'll happen in future episodes. I also feel like dub Dandy doesn't quite have enough charisma to convince me to ride the flow with him.

We'll see.

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly where I'm at with the series right now. I sincerely hope sequences like the first half of this episode aren't going to be a trend for what we'll see later on.

Haven't had a chance to watch it (waiting to see if it pops up in Hulu) but it sounds like a "setting the tone" type of episode. Looking forward to it. :)

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly where I'm at with the series right now. I sincerely hope sequences like the first half of this episode aren't going to be a trend for what we'll see later on.

Same here. I can take it if the rest is like the latter half, but if moments like the first half appear all too often instead, then I'll be more negative on this.

I do feel like both parts fanservice and nonsense action are basically what Space Dandy is going to be about.

Jintor

frankly, if you want to see mind numbingly bad, you should be watching this fucking episode of bleach right now. jesus christ.

breastraunt was not the strongest part of the show but it wasn't horrific

Silky

Banned
frankly, if you want to see mind numbingly bad, you should be watching this fucking episode of bleach right now. jesus christ.

breastraunt was not the strongest part of the show but it wasn't horrific

"Zero Gs with Double Ds" had me rolling

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Why?

Oh. Are you tolerating Dandy and QT then?

Because Mako talks too much with an annoying voice and has a personality that is built to not shut up and get in your face and spew crap that doesn't resonate with me all in that obnoxious attitude.

Dandy and QT are.... eh... Dandy is dumb. Not obnoxious. QT is just an autotuned robot. Take that any way you like.

Yawnier

Banned
Pretty much. As Mik said a few posts up, this is a fairly standard practice. Did you find the rest entertaining?

I preferred the second half of the episode to the first half (along with a few other people it seems), if that is what you're asking. The animation and soundtrack really shines in the second half IMO.

Drago

If you're expecting "plot" from this show, you're going to be disappointed.
I dunno, there was plenty of plot here if you know what I'm saying ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Anyways, I really enjoyed watching this. Very upbeat and a lot of fun to watch. Animation was top notch as well. Will continue to watch for sure!

Branduil

Space Dandy 1

ibfcVSh2tAP3T7.jpg
iuZ74ZHCMq7qH.jpg

The first half, set in the breastaurant, is not at all great, although there are a few good jokes, but the second half hits all the right notes and is exactly as advertised, living up to the hype of "Mushroom Samba every week." There are a couple problems with the dub(that autotune), but otherwise I think the voice acting and script is mostly good. Also, possibly the best ending of a first episode ever. LOL.

As this is a comedy show, it's almost certain to be very divisive.

The boob stuff is a bit excessive but I kind of love the sense of humor in this. The casual "got it" after the explanation of why they shouldn't grab the chain killed me. Great voice work too. The second half of the episode is fantastic.

Gazoinks

Space Dandy 1

This was exactly what I expected it to be, and I mean that in a good way: A goofy, light-hearted sci-fi comedy series with a cool pulpy tone. I'll echo what others were saying about the first half vs the second. The first half wasn't awful, but it was weaker; laid on the perverted humor and 4th-wall-breaking a bit too much. The second half hit all the right notes. It was fairly funny, fun, and looked good. Hopefully the series will continue more in that vibe.

Dub is solid, don't even mind the autotune. I'll watch sub and see which I prefer for the rest of the show.

Ironically, I think the negative impressions lowered my expectations enough that I ended up enjoying this more! xD Although I was only moderately hyped to begin with.

Ninjimbo

I thought the dub was fine. QT was so good. The auto-tune voice thing they did with her multiplied her charm by ten.

I'm going to watch a few more episodes before I say anything else though. You can't gauge much from this first episode.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So I just had a quick skim through the thread.

As a Canadian only way I can see this is on the Funimation site potentially?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Space Dandy Episode 1:

Yea, the first ten minutes sucked both in English and Japanese but after that the show just went full bore Gurren Lagan insanity and it was wonderful. The dub was the usual solid Funimation fare and if you think that was bad, you should have listened to yet another episode of Bleach dubbed by a cast that long ago stopped giving a shit.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I'm guessing that the warp malfunction and the cosmic string tugging led to some kind of quantum split with Dandy and crew, so we get to see multiple Dandy lives or some such thing.

aka that version of Dandy and crew totally died, and we're going to see another version next week?

like that one episode of TNG with Worf and the different quantum realities

I also laughed at the Terminator reference at the end

jax

Banned
Lol if the boobs in Space Dandy are too much for you do not watch Kill La Kill. Space Dandy was great, the Breastaurant thing was funny. The assman spiel was funny. It's definitely a change of pace from a lot of anime, but I see that as a good thing. They set the characters up well in the first half, and the second half was plain top notch animation. I can't wait for more!

Space Dandy Ep1, English ver

1st half with the breastaurant was absolutely ridiculous, but not necessarily bad. Just really awkward with family in the same room, lol.

2nd half was awesome.

The Dub is pretty great. The writing really picked up when Meow showed up. The chemistry between the three is pretty good, but honestly Meow on his own is bretty gud.

A little early to call, but so far:

1.Meow
1.5 Dandy
2. Narrator
3.QT
4. etc.

So I'm guessing that the warp malfunction and the cosmic string tugging led to some kind of quantum split with Dandy and crew, so we get to see multiple Dandy lives or some such thing.

aka that version of Dandy and crew totally died, and we're going to see another version next week?

like that one episode of TNG with Worf and the different quantum realities

I also laughed at the Terminator reference at the end

i dunno. they could also pull a Dexter's Laboratory and just pretend nothing bad actually happened last episode (which i think would be funnier), but what you said kinda sounds like the direction they'll head.

Giolon

Well, that was...something alright. Hard not to say I was disappointed, but with the pedigree behind the show I expected more. The animation was pretty fun and energetic, but the whole "Boobies" gag dragged on forever. I'm really not sure what the episode accomplished. I do kind of get the folks calling it "filler". Many of the jokes just fell flat to me. Maybe it's b/c it's in English. The VA was just ok.

I'm still going to give the show a chance, but I feel like you could entirely excise this first episode and start with the next one, whatever it is, and be absolutely fine.

Danj

Well, that was...something alright. Hard not to say I was disappointed, but with the pedigree behind the show I expected more. The animation was pretty fun and energetic, but the whole "Boobies" gag dragged on forever. I'm really not sure what the episode accomplished. I do kind of get the folks calling it "filler". Many of the jokes just fell flat to me. Maybe it's b/c it's in English. The VA was just ok.

I'm still going to give the show a chance, but I feel like you could entirely excise this first episode and start with the next one, whatever it is, and be absolutely fine.

This pretty much sums up my opinion too. I really expected more. Still I'll carry on watching.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I liked the first 10 men subbed episode more than the first 10 minutes dubbed. I'm going to watch the whole subbed episode online and see if the translation might be the problem. The humor was just funnier in the sneak peek sub than the whole episode dubbed.

Giolon

it's also hilarious considering what kind of show Cowboy Bebop is

While it's true that Cowboy Bebop really only has a handful of truly overarching story relevant episodes, most of the other episodes were more than just strings of random nonsense, hey wouldn't this look cool, and breast, butt, and voyeur gags all thrown together like monkeys flinging shit at a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom