• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunkitz

I feel like SDCC will give us some more details on the story & the status quo of this Spider-Man's world.

Would be some pretty appropriate basic information on the game, so yeah. Seems very likely.
I've mentioned this earlier in the thread, but do guys think we'll get different kinds of web fluid in this game? What I mean is the idea of Peter having unique kinds of webbing (like stickier webbing or colder webbing) with limited amounts of cartridges for each. Obviously we'll have a shit-ton of the normal web fluid, but I'm curious to see if Insomniac will get creative with other kinds of web fluid.

I'd love that, not only for the strategic value and accuracy to the comics, but for the nostalgia that is Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro. Ahh, man. Now that was a Spider-Man game. If I recall correctly, the cheat code to unlock everything was "auntmay."

Peter's got a whole bunch of specialized webbing now with all that cash in his bank account. Would be pretty cool to see some of those in the game.

dmshaposv

Was insomnic ever a first party sony dev?

I feel like they were back in ps2/ratchet and clank days.

Im surprised Sony never picked them up considering the long history of successful (and exclusive) games they made for them.

Johndoey

Banned
3261671-spidercide.jpg

Come on the greatness writes itself.
Pulling for Doppelganger as always.

DKHF

Im surprised Sony never picked them up considering the long history of successful (and exclusive) games they made for them.
Sony has never owned them no. I think they like being independent, so it's definitely possible Sony offered and they declined.

Ploid 3.0

I believe they tried to get them, but Insomniac like being independant. It's for the best.

Tonky

What's weird is that this is exactly what I expected a Sucker Punch Spider-Man game to look like. When the rumors came out that it was Insomniac developing it, I thought it would be much more cartoony. Very pleased.

Nope.

Independent and better off for it, IMO. Not that Sony would be a bad fit but the flexibility they have is amazing when led by the right pub.

Philippo

One thing that i'm happy is that they talk about letting the player play as Peter as much as Spidey.

I'd love if we get sequences like Telltale Games with dialogues, choices and consequences. Hell, i even dream of some kind of Persona-esque mechanic were you have to keep frequenting university or the Daily Bugle for work.

What's weird is that this is exactly what I expected a Sucker Punch Spider-Man game to look like. When the rumors came out that it was Insomniac developing it, I thought it would be much more cartoony. Very pleased.

Yeah me too.
I even expected it to be much lower budget, like TMNT/Transformers level.

So happy to eat crow.

Neoxon

Peter's got a whole bunch of specialized webbing now with all that cash in his bank account. Would be pretty cool to see some of those in the game.
Exactly. Insomniac could easily expand the types of webbing compared to the PS1 Spider-Man game (as peanutbutterlatte pointed out). Hell, the variety of different web cartridges could be up there with Ratchet & Clank if they really want to get creative with it.

Ploid 3.0

Exactly. Insomniac could easily expand the types of webbing compared to the PS1 Spider-Man game (as peanutbutterlatte pointed out). Hell, the variety of different web cartridges could be up there with Ratchet & Clank if they really want to get creative with it.

Wow you're right. I remember web balls or something in a Spiderman game as well. If Insomniac go all out with this, upgrading web and such, web wheel (Web Web sounded weird so wheel), and such, oh man!

Neoxon

Wow you're right. I remember web balls or something in a Spiderman game as well. If Insomniac go all out with this, upgrading web and such, web wheel (Web Web sounded weird so wheel), and such, oh man!
Peter can already do web balls with his regular web fluid. That said, he can get stronger web fluid that may not reach as far, but can make for better web ball projectiles (good for villains like Venom before the symbiote bonded with Flash Thompson). The main idea is to have webbing like inductive webbing for Electro, cold webbing for Molten Man, electrically-charged webbing for symbiotes, & other kinds of web fluid. And again, there would obviously be a limited number of cartridges for these.

Peter can already do web balls with his regular web fluid. That said, he can get stronger web fluid that may not reach as far, but can make for better web ball projectiles (good for villains like Venom before the symbiote bonded with Flash Thompson). The main idea is to have webbing like inductive webbing for Electro, cold webbing for Molten Man, electrically-charged webbing for symbiotes, & other kinds of web fluid. And again, there would obviously be a limited number of cartridges for these.
God that would be awful.

I want Spidey's moveset and traversal both fleshed out and INTERTWINED. Combat and traversal should go hand in hand. It should be a ballet.

Weaponizing web fluid for "use cold webbing for MASSIVE DAMAGE" on enemies susceptible is a copout, IMO. I want to get creative playing Spider-Man, not swap "weapon" types to win fights because then it is only a process of regurgitation to beat enemies and not skills and reflexes.

There's a time and place for these types of mechanics and Spider-Man is not one of them, IMO. It would do our wall crawler a disservice.

Neoxon

God that would be awful.

I want Spidey's moveset and traversal both fleshed out and INTERTWINED. Combat and traversal should go hand in hand. It should be a ballet.

Weaponizing web fluid for "use cold webbing for MASSIVE DAMAGE" on enemies susceptible is a copout, IMO. I want to get creative playing Spider-Man, not swap "weapon" types to win fights because then it is only a process of regurgitation to beat enemies and not skills and reflexes.

There's a time and place for these types of mechanics and Spider-Man is not one of them, IMO. It would do our wall crawler a disservice.
You probably can still use the standard web fluid to get around as well as fight thugs & non-powered/tech-based villains. If the web shooters are anything like Spectacular Spider-Man's, then it should be like a rotating mechanism switching between web cartridges. It's just that during special fights, you can hot swap your combat webbing to cold webbing to fight the likes of Molten Man.

You probably can still use the standard web fluid to get around as well as fight thugs & non-powered/tech-based villains. If the web shooters are anything like Spectacular Spider-Man's, then it should be like a rotating mechanism switching between web cartridges. It's just that during special fights, you can hot swap your combat webbing to cold webbing to fight the likes of Molten Man.
Spider-Man isn't about web fluid.

He's about speed, agility, using his acrobatic abilities to fight.

He's not Batman nor should he be turned into Batman.

Being Spidey is about being Spidey. It's about being able to do outlandish aerial and acrobatic maneuvers. It's about reflexes, timing, speed. Not gadgets.

Using multiple types of web would greatly diminish who he is at his core. It would become a game of choosing the right webbing for the job and not using all of those wonderful acrobatics and wit you have at your disposal.

I want legit Spidey combat - I would loathe seeing it reduced to "shit I need electro webbing!" - a huge disservice to the character and would legitimately dumb the game down and what it's like to BE Spider-Man.

Neoxon

Spider-Man isn't about web fluid.

He's about speed, agility, using his acrobatic abilities to fight.

He's not Batman nor should he be turned into Batman.

Being Spidey is about being Spidey. It's about being able to do outlandish aerial and acrobatic maneuvers. It's about reflexes, timing, speed. Not gadgets.

Using multiple types of web would greatly diminish who he is at his core. It would become a game of choosing the right webbing for the job and not using all of those wonderful acrobatics and wit you have at your disposal.

I want legit Spidey combat - I would loathe seeing it reduced to "shit I need electro webbing!" - a huge disservice to the character and would legitimately dumb the game down and what it's like to BE Spider-Man.
But Peter is also a genius, someone who is able to adapt to situations that would otherwise be unfavorable for him. Yes, his agility & speed are main things as well, but don't forget the genius that made the webbing in the first place.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The problem with the webshooter thing is, that it really doesnt work that great with the free-roaming mechanic. Would be super annoying when you run out if fluid all the time.
And no, it would not be fun to buy chemicals as Peter Parker all the time.

But Peter is also a genius, someone who is able to adapt to situations that would otherwise be unfavorable for him. Yes, his agility & speed are main things as well, but don't forget the genius that made the webbing in the first place.
OK?

So is he Batman now?

I think you are completely missing the point: he doesn't need any of that with who he is.

PLAYING Spider-Man should be PLAYING Spider-Man.

It shouldn't be a game of weapons + ammo.

At all.

It should be about being able to do amazing, spectacular things with the human body and his powers that augment it, not about PEW PEW LASER WEBZ

Ick. Just no. No pew pew. Thwip thwip, swing, punch, dodge, trap, throw, grapple, kick, slide, run, jump, etc.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
OK?

So is he Batman now?

I think you are completely missing the point: he doesn't need any of that with who he is.

PLAYING Spider-Man should be PLAYING Spider-Man.

It shouldn't be a game of weapons + ammo.

At all.

It should be about being able to do amazing, spectacular things with the human body and his powers that augment it, not about PEW PEW LASER WEBZ

Ick. Just no. No pew pew. Thwip thwip, swing, punch, dodge, trap, throw, grapple, kick, slide, run, jump, etc.
Have you ever read a Spide-Man comic? Peter thinkers with his gear all the time.
There are thinks like tracers, signals, tons of suits that adapt to specific foes and situations and web fluids

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I actually liked the Clone Saga

/flameshield

The clone saga was my actual start into mainstream Spider-Man (and with that, all kinds of comics) after years of just buying the occasional off-issue or random collected issues. So yea, I liked it too :)

Have you ever read a Spide-Man comic? Peter thinkers with his gear all the time.
There are thinks like tracers, signals, tons of suits that adapt to specific foes and situations and web fluids
Of course but -

I keep mentioning PLAYING as Spidey.

What other character has those abilities that we can play as? Swing around the city, use those amazing skills in aerial combat, advanced melee combat?

Now tell me howany games can I PEW PEW PEW PEW I NEED LAZER AMMO PEW PEW PEW in?

I want Spidey, not inFamous.

Angry Fork

That white spider is awful looking but there will presumably be alternate costumes so it's not that big a deal. Hopefully swinging around feels fun/rewarding and there will be some fun side things to do in the sandbox. That swinging gif in OP looks nice.

Phreak47

I'm not any kind of comic book fanboy by any stretch but this looks very promising for all the right reasons, the fuck-yeah-gameplay kind of reasons.

I'm sure some of those sequences contained mission-based scripted moments (to capture some dramatic camera angles), so it will be interesting to see just how much you can do in true open world moments.

A lot of reason for optimism with Insomniac at the wheel though.

KiraXD

I actually liked the Clone Saga

/flameshield

Im not ashamed... i have and love these books!

(i actually have Alpha signed by the artist Ron Lim)
spider-man-maximum-clonage-alpha-1_cover-art.jpg

tumblr_inline_nltzraoDY91s16be1_1280.jpg

Which resulted in one of the few costume changes i really liked...
I Also got this awesome lenticular cover. Ben Riley... lol.
Sensational_Spider-Man_0.jpg

416883f0d86711366e18b10cd0690f53_xl.jpg

SkylineRKR

Insomniac be like "We aint hungry no mo."

This is a major score for them I got to say. After so many so so games, they get this handed to them. Props to them. Hopefully this lets them stay alive as a studio as I felt they were on their way out.

I wonder if Sony chose them to partner? Im sure this Spidy game deal was part of their character crossover on film with Marvel.

Yeah I like Insomniac a lot. FUSE was being molested (by EA?), but Sunset and last Ratchet are great games. Resistance 3 was awesome as well.

KiraXD

Ben Reilly's costume would work so much better than the current game costume.
its practically sensational costume already actually... lol.
aY8sLb6.png

8yLhexs.png

I really hope they do unlockable/changeable costumes though... i have a few favorites

these are my top 10 favorite costumes ever... (even manga spiderman and spidergwen!)
QGPD4W9.png

My favorite spidey costume ever though is the second Superior Costume w/legs... i just love the black/red and the spider design its just so awesome...

gJ0db6X.jpg

aH5fEX1.jpg

Spider-Man is exclusive to Sony in perpetuity? What a kick in the nuts for Xbox and PC fans.

To be fair, it's not like Spider-Man games were really selling on any platform. So it's not like this high quality popular franchise suddenly became completely exclusive to one platform.

Just make the web slinging really fun and easy to start, but with a rewarding learning curve. And give me a big open space to web sling around and I'll be happy.

EDIT - Also, who is voicing Spider-Man in this?

Game looks good...really hoping you can change costumes. I mean, I can deal with the in trailer costume, but I would prefer just about any other Spider-Man costume haha.

Steroyd

Of course but -

I keep mentioning PLAYING as Spidey.

What other character has those abilities that we can play as? Swing around the city, use those amazing skills in aerial combat, advanced melee combat?

Now tell me howany games can I PEW PEW PEW PEW I NEED LAZER AMMO PEW PEW PEW in?

I want Spidey, not inFamous.

Nothing wrong with having elemental Web shooters to bring variety of enemy types into the mix, as long as it just makes enemies harder to fight with standard web fluid versus being a requirement to defeat them like how Ratchet and Clank does it.

So yay or nay on a morality system? And if so, how would y'all like it to be handled?

I'd only accept a morality if the symbiote would slowly take over Spiderman with each Evil decision, otherwise something akin to the hero gauge in Amazing Spiderman 2, but being optional and seperate from your ability to do main missions. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom