• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I actually liked the Clone Saga

/flameshield

I'm not sure if that flame shield will save you from Slayven.

I liked it too, that whole period was great. Some of the best villains

8432cdd1918919b8b83f8341032a8b42.jpg

1110bd889d8ffc0a82660f89e5cb3039.jpg

Game looks good...really hoping you can change costumes. I mean, I can deal with the in trailer costume, but I would prefer just about any other Spider-Man costume haha.

I think the costume is designed the way it is purposely to A) stand out more with all hte action on screen, the white spider gives you a focal point and B) differentiate more clearly between their spiderman and the movie/comic/cartoon spidermans. It's sort of grown on me though.

Ploid 3.0

This is literally the first bad Spider-Man costume and it will go down in history.

I like it, thankfully. Wasn't Scarlet Spider received poorly? Was it just the character, or did the costume design play into it? I only know there was some hints of controversy because of Marvel Heroes.

Nah there have been some questionable outfits un the past. Like Reilly's weird cut off hoodie.

This is the one I thought about as well.

jgSgIxU.jpg

aly

This is literally the first bad Spider-Man costume and it will go down in history.

Honestly, the outfit has really grown on me the more I watch the trailer. Like Ninja Scooter said, the big white spider also gives you a good focal point with all the other stuff on the screen.

Neoxon

Just make the web slinging really fun and easy to start, but with a rewarding learning curve. And give me a big open space to web sling around and I'll be happy.

EDIT - Also, who is voicing Spider-Man in this?
Spider-Man is voiced by Yuri Lowenthal in this game, who you might know as...
  • Makoto Yuki (Persona 3)
  • Yosuke Hanamura (Persona 4)
  • Ben 10
  • Simon (Gurren Lagann)
  • Sauske (Naruto)

Auctopus

I know they just said it there in that tweet but i don't believe them.

The way Spiderman runs up to that ledge is unlike anything we've ever seen in a video game. The little shortened steps before reaching the ledge. If they had gameplay like that ready for a trailer then they should've done a gameplay walkthrough.

chaosaeon

I'm also going to echo how glad I am this is not cell shaded or overly cartoony.

And if they're going for physics based swinging (which would be great) I hope there's still opportunities to interact acrobatically with the environment like vaulting off of street lights etc. If Insomniac could take the concept of the 'web rush' from Amazing Spiderman and improve upon the playability and interactivity of it, could have fantastic possibilities if the animations are anything like the trailer. And if there IS a morality system, I would hope it does not mingle with the aesthetic side of the character to force appearance changes on the player. I'd love to have some costume customization options alongside some complete suit selections.

The way Spiderman runs up to that ledge is unlike anything we've ever seen in a video game. The little shortened steps before reaching the ledge. If they had gameplay like that ready for a trailer then they should've done a gameplay walkthrough.
Insomniac has been through this before.

With people not believing them. Rember R2 on PS3 with the skyline, all the Chimeran ships, etc? Them Ted Price had to make a video showing it was real and playable?

Insomniac don't mess, man. Like, have you seen the new Ratchet? Or, anything they have done? Them folks are TOPS.

Ploid 3.0

Insomniac has been through this before.

With people not believing them. Rember R2 on PS3 with the skyline, all the Chimeran ships, etc? Them Ted Price had to make a video showing it was real and playable?

Insomniac don't mess, man. Like, have you seen the new Ratchet? Or, anything they have done? Them folks are TOPS.

Yeah, it's like this for every Insomniac game just about. I remember Resistance 1 even having some impressive things, especially the huge PVP. They have awesome engineers.

I really hope Insomniac can bring a fresh spin on all of Spider-Man's abilities in a way we haven't seen before. There have been so many Spider-Man games.

Vire

Just having a short trailer as a way to announce the game really dampened the impact I think. Still, incredibly excited since I love Insomniac.

Horizon though I felt really blew people's socks off because the first time we saw it was a live demo.

Slaythe

Just having a short trailer as a way to announce the game really dampened the impact I think. Still, incredibly excited since I love Insomniac.

Horizon though I felt really blew people's socks off because the first time we saw it was a live demo.

Horizon had everything to prove being a new IP.

Spiderman is already established. You know exactly what you're gonna get. This trailer only confirmed the quality.

The Uncharted series has had great little touches to their animation. especially impressive in UC4

Is this really real-time? It just looks better than anything Insomniac has ever done..

giphy.gif

They have said it's gameplay. I assume that means most of it is in-engine cutscenes, which typically looks noticeably better than gameplay, kind of like how racing game's replay modes always look better than the actually gameplay. Either way there are parts of the trailer that clearly look like normal gameplay which are also super impressive.

Civil War Spider-man NEEDS to be an alternate costume, please Insomniac. I do love the one in this trailer, and would love for it to be the default, but i also need dat civil war version.

Loudninja

They have said it's gameplay. I assume that means most of it is in-engine cutscenes, which typically looks noticeably better than gameplay, kind of like how racing game's replay modes always look better than the actually gameplay. Either way there are parts of the trailer that clearly look like normal gameplay which are also super impressive.

@theMichaelPaxy @Hermann22 it's gameplay!
https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/742583510666379264

ShutterMunster

I'm really pumped for this game but I don't understand the skepticism towards the footage. Of course that was real time. It didn't look THAT good. There are definitely some rough spots in it and It's not like the animation was beyond something you'd see in Uncharted 4 or even For Honor, which has a super dope animation system. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with it just being a really great looking Spider-Man game, something we haven't had in a while. I hope Insomniac knocks it out of the park.

Oh, and the suit is SUPER MEH. Maybe if the giant spider was black instead of white it would work more? I don't know. I'm not feeling it at all.

I can understand the confusion, but I think you are misunderstanding what they mean, that is almost certainly a canned animation, same with him jumping through the coffee shop, but that doesn't mean it's not running in real time inside their game engine.

Pachinko

I'm not sure why it's so far fetched to believe this game actually does look this good. It's Insomniacs third fully next game game , they've got a huge team working on it and I recall for the last few years they are keeping things at 30 fps instead of targeting anything higher.

This is the same console that runs the rock solid 30 fps " 1866 The Order " and for a more open flair the forthcoming "Horizon : Zero Dawn". Who knows for sure if it will even be a fully open world game either right ? I'm in a minority here but the first couple of PS1 spiderman games and the original movie game were all far more fun to play for me than spiderman 2 and 3 were.

My interest level in this is actually getting up there because I'd LOVE to have a really good spiderman game again.

bunkitz

Of course but -

I keep mentioning PLAYING as Spidey.

What other character has those abilities that we can play as? Swing around the city, use those amazing skills in aerial combat, advanced melee combat?

Now tell me howany games can I PEW PEW PEW PEW I NEED LAZER AMMO PEW PEW PEW in?

I want Spidey, not inFamous.

You keep mentioning "pew pew lasers," but nobody mentioned that? Why would you even think that specialized web fluid would result in lasers...?

Peter literally uses different kinds of web fluids in the comics. A unique part of Spider-Man when he's fighting crime or saving people is that he has to make sure he has enough web fluid. There have been plenty of times when he's ran out and had to improvise and think of some way to get what needs to be done done. He's had some specialized web fluids before and does use those against certain enemies or certain situations that may require stronger or more elastic webs or whatever. It's part of being Spider-Man. (or at least Peter's version of Spider-Man)
So yay or nay on a morality system? And if so, how would y'all like it to be handled?

One big fat nay. I don't think players playing as Spider-Man should have the option to choose something morally wrong. That kind of goes against the whole "With great power there must also come great responsibility."

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm still convinced it's going to be a 2017 game.

I wouldn't put much into Insomniac's comment about not talking about dates as indication that it's a 2018 game. Considering that some gamers can't control their fucking impulses and send death threats to developers when a delay happens, and find out personal information about said developers in which to better harass them and threaten their families, I'm not surprised they aren't talking about dates until they are entirely sure they can hit it.

This game has been in development for a while already, so I'm sure a 2017 release date is possible. I also think the hesitation to discuss release dates is also because they simply don't know Sony's plan for next year. A LOT of games are coming out in 2017, and not just first party exclusives. Sony has to pace game releases for maximum impact. There is more on their plate than just Detroit, Death Stranding, Horizon, Days Gone, and Spider-Man. They didn't even discuss all of their upcoming games for 2016 and 2017 at E3.

Hundreds of games get released in a calendar year. Thousands, big and small. I'm sure the suits are mulling over the best quarter to release Spider-Man that won't cannibalize their other titles, or be swallowed up by other games from third parties.

Not to mention that from a hype and marketing standpoint, they don't want to blow all of their information at E3. There's still comicon, the PlayStation experience, TGS, and some other events where they can spread out information to maximize interest. Isn't GDC early in 2017 too? I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get a real release date until then.

Spinluck

OK?

So is he Batman now?

I think you are completely missing the point: he doesn't need any of that with who he is.

PLAYING Spider-Man should be PLAYING Spider-Man.

It shouldn't be a game of weapons + ammo.

At all.

It should be about being able to do amazing, spectacular things with the human body and his powers that augment it, not about PEW PEW LASER WEBZ

Ick. Just no. No pew pew. Thwip thwip, swing, punch, dodge, trap, throw, grapple, kick, slide, run, jump, etc.

We know Spidey's physical capabilities, but I think the webbing is a huge part of his tool set.

You keep mentioning "pew pew lasers," but nobody mentioned that? Why would you even think that specialized web fluid would result in lasers...?

Peter literally uses different kinds of web fluids in the comics. A unique part of Spider-Man when he's fighting crime or saving people is that he has to make sure he has enough web fluid. There have been plenty of times when he's ran out and had to improvise and think of some way to get what needs to be done done. He's had some specialized web fluids before and does use those against certain enemies or certain situations that may require stronger or more elastic webs or whatever. It's part of being Spider-Man. (or at least Peter's version of Spider-Man)

One big fat nay. I don't think players playing as Spider-Man should have the option to choose something morally wrong. That kind of goes against the whole "With great power there must also come great responsibility."

Agreed 100%, keep the moral choice stuff out pleaseee

You can do a "choice" system that has some limits to it. I'm not sure how much that would break the illusion for people, but you could create some interesting systems with having to choose between emergencies, choosing the way to approach the situation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom