• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunkitz

A choice system between Peter's life and Spider-Man's life would be really good, and would even make perfect sense since that's a constant struggle for the character. I just don't think it should be referred to as a "morality system," since that makes it sound like one is good and the other is bad.

It would be a great way to properly execute an idea Beenox had for The Amazing Spider-Man too. They had this little social network thing there where we can see what the people of the city think of Spider-Man and what's happening in the story, but it was 100% scripted. Something more dynamic that really reacts to your actions and choices would be really cool, as opposed to just following the story along.

JohngPR

Speaking of web shooters, it would be super cool if he had some kind of animation while web slinging where he'd replace his web cartridges in mid air for time to time. You can have that one for free Insomniac. :p :D

While the morality and relationship ideas at that level is interesting, its a lot of work and at best, we'd see something light because of how much work that requires to be authentic. I'd also prefer if they keep the symbiote out for the sequel. This is in fact a series now, so it would be best to just build a proper Spider-Man game to build off of, and then have those extra ideas be sprinkled onto the sequels.

Speaking of web shooters, it would be super cool if he had some kind of animation while web slinging where he'd replace his web cartridges in mid air for time to time. You can have that one for free Insomniac. :p :D

We've seen in this in Beenox games. As for different kinds of web fluids, it would be neat, definitely, but I think it would be best to relegate them for different types of villains. This is Insomniac after all, fancy and odd weapons are their kind of thing.

Best wishes.

otapnam

My problem with trying to incorporate Peter Parker into the gameplay is that most ideas I see sound very boring and would completely break the fast pace of the Spider-man gameplay. I feel it's enough for Peter's life to play a big part in the story, but we do not need to actively play him going on a date with Mary or whatever. Though having some side missions where you have to take cool photos of yourself for the Daily Bugle would be neat.

Could be undercover missions or gathering clues? Mixing it up could be nice

SpaceWolf

Banned
You know, I don't want the black and white choices that games like inFAMOUS provide players.

Give us a more greyed out sense of morality. Like, a choice between going to visit Mary Jane's stage play whilst knowing that there MIGHT be an attack on a bank as you've been following a few criminals, etc.

Basically, make us choose between being Spidey and Peter. Make us make those difficult decisions he makes about choosing heroism over his personal life or vice versa.

Am I the only one who is intrigued by this?

This would be bloody amazing.

I'd absolutely love a Spiderman game that had some kind of system like that in place. It's just so quintessentially Spiderman.

Neoxon

I actually suggested this earlier in the thread. I guess great minds think alike.

I wonder if we'll get any bonus info, today.
It'd be a nice birthday gift.

bunkitz

Reminded me of this:
P3Pag1B.jpg

Would be really cool if we could have something for that.

The God

I initially thought I'd be up for a morality system but I think I'd take a strong, well-defined story arc over the illusion of choice.

Also, I know I'm a few posts behind but I'm also not in favor of special web fluid. I feel like there's enough in the "purity" of Spider-Man to fill a game's worth of mechanics. Special web fluids feel like the gimmick you put into the 3rd or 4th game when you're out of ideas to keep the base mechanics fresh. I saw somewhere in the E3 coverage a mention of Spidey's improvisational combat style and I'd much rather have to use the environment to lure say, Electro to a hydrant or water tower than use some special web fluid against him.

Making the Peter Parker side just as fun and interesting as Spider-Man definitely sounds like a challenge gameplay-wise.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Making the Peter Parker side just as fun and interesting as Spider-Man definitely sounds like a challenge gameplay-wise.
Doenst matter anyway. Its wishfull thinking that his Gameplay parts will have the sams size.

I cant remember talking them about Peter Parker gameplay, more about Peter Parker aspects, and that means his personal life will play into the story

Neoxon

Imagine if this was a trilogy leading up to an adaptation of Gangland from Spectacular Spider-Man (if the MCU Spidey trilogy doesn't do it) with a four-way gang war between Kingpin, Tombstone, Doc Ock, & Silvermane.

The God

Doenst matter anyway. Its wishfull thinking that his Gameplay parts will have the sams size.

I cant remember talking them about Peter Parker gameplay, more about Peter Parker aspects, and that means his personal life will play into the story

Oh yeah, true. But if there are Peter Parker segments then I hope they're more than just filler.

Kouichi

If he was in high school they could have gone the persona route :lol

See, Persona combines simulation gameplay with turn based rpg, and it works because both genres typically have a large focus on story, dialogue, and character interaction within the gameplay so they can blend well together. But Spider-man is a superhero sandbox. You can't just toss in half of Persona's gameplay and not expect to interrupt and break the freedom and fast pace of an open world superhero game. It sounds nice on paper considering the core elements of Spider-man's character, but it's not as simple to execute well in gameplay.

Now I'm saying it could never work, I'm sure there can be a clever way to do it. It just not going to be as simple as taking two different games and blending them together. You can't just combine Batman Arkham City with Phoenix Wright to make a Daredevil game.

Could be undercover missions or gathering clues? Mixing it up could be nice
Perhaps. But I'd imagine they'd be small segments like the few times Batman investigates a crime in the Arkham games. Though I'd rather it just be a story cutscene.

Johndoey

Banned
If you could actually ditch the costume whenever you want and just walk around that would be fantastic. Maybe duck into an alley to change. Won't happen but it'd be interesting.

Hopefully it has a decent number of interior spaces.

Imagine if this was a trilogy leading up to an adaptation of Gangland from Spectacular Spider-Man (if the MCU Spidey trilogy doesn't do it) with a four-way gang war between Kingpin, Tombstone, Doc Ock, & Silvermane.

Oh God, please no. My heart can only take so much Spiderman goodness.

Gotta say, Marvel really made a great choice handing Insomniac the reigns with Sony publishing. Actually makes me excited for whichever Marvel games they've got coming next.

And if Sony remains the publisher for those games too, Sony and Marvel stand to make an insane amount of money.

Neoxon

Oh God, please no. My heart can only take so much Spiderman goodness.

Gotta say, Marvel really made a great choice handing Insomniac the reigns with Sony publishing. Actually makes me excited for whichever Marvel games they've got coming next.

And if Sony remains the publisher for those games too, Sony and Marvel stand to make an insane amount of money.
I mean, Insomniac is known for spoiling us rotten (in the best way possible), so I wouldn't put it past them. Hell, get Greg Weisman to pen the game.

Man I wish Insomniac would have just did a small walkthrough video if the game looks already this damn good. Hoping the game won't release later than 2017, I'd love it if they would release it a bit before the Spider-Man Homecoming movie.

Spinluck

All it would've taken was one more season man.

You just had to remind us.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I have not played a spiderman game since Spiderman 2 Enter Electro on PS1

Loved that game. Hopefully this one is actually good with insomniac on it

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
A Spider-Man game needs to implement a version of the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor.

I'd love to have rivalries with normal thugs that you foil while playing, and if they get the drop in you, they rise in ranks, maybe get the support of crime lords like The Kingpin and Tombstone, and the next time you face them (maybe they're once again trying to rob a bank), they're more of a threat. Fail to stop them again, and they rank up again, and become more and more deadly.

There could be a random element to how they evolve. You defeat a bad guy by tossing him into a vat of chemicals, maybe he comes back with superpowers. You defeat him with constant melee attacks? Maybe he/she reappears in much more powerful armor. It could add a bit more spontenaety to the world. Where any criminal mook you defeat or lose to can nurse a grudge and become a thorn in your side with each victory or defeat.

In shadow of Mordor, I frigging loved/hated when I'd be in the middle of a mission, and one of my nemesis would appear, but the. ANOTHER nemesis would appear, and another. I had a mission where I was being harassed by five of my nemesis, and had to think quick to defeat them all and still complete my mission. It's that kind of emergent gameplay that could be awesome in a Spidey game. Where classic Spidey villains can show up at any time causing trouble, but a randomized system of generic goons that rise in the ranks and gain skills and abilities as the game progresses could be a great system for a superhero game, not just Spidey.

DrBo42

A Spider-Man game needs to implement a version of the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor.

I'd love to have rivalries with normal thugs that you foil while playing, and if they get the drop in you, they rise in ranks, maybe get the support of crime lords like The Kingpin and Tombstone, and the next time you face them (maybe they're once again trying to rob a bank), they're more of a threat. Fail to stop them again, and they rank up again, and become more and more deadly.

There could be a random element to how they evolve. You defeat a bad guy by tossing him into a vat of chemicals, maybe he comes back with superpowers. You defeat him with constant melee attacks? Maybe he/she reappears in much more powerful armor. It could add a bit more spontenaety to the world. Where any criminal mook you defeat or lose to can nurse a grudge and become a thorn in your side with each victory or defeat.

In shadow of Mordor, I frigging loved/hated when I'd be in the middle of a mission, and one of my nemesis would appear, but the. ANOTHER nemesis would appear, and another. I had a mission where I was being harassed by five of my nemesis, and had to think quick to defeat them all and still complete my mission. It's that kind of emergent gameplay that could be awesome in a Spidey game. Where classic Spidey villains can show up at any time causing trouble, but a randomized system of generic goons that rise in the ranks and gain skills and abilities as the game progresses could be a great system for a superhero game, not just Spidey.

Don't think that works for super-villains. Over-saturation devalues their appearance and the characters themselves. Look at The Joker in the Arkham games.

so will Marvel help out on the marketing of this game or is only Sony responsible for hat.

Just image Sony & Marvel Marketing combined

Sony talking about it at Game-Conferences - while Marvel advertising it at the comic con, cinemas, movies

The God

so will Marvel help out on the marketing of this game or is only Sony responsible for hat.

Sony talking about it at Game-Conferences - while Marvel advertising it at the comic con, cinemas, movies

Spider-Man theme'd PS4 bundle with the game + Homecoming blu-ray incoming.

bunkitz

I have not played a Spider-Man game since Spider-Man 2 Enter Electro on PS1

Loved that game. Hopefully this one is actually good with insomniac on it

Mmm, about time I saw some Enter Electro love here.

(it was my first Spider-Man game and is still one of my favourites to this day)

The nemesis system is a brilliant system and all, but I just can't see it working in a superhero game, because... how on earth are the regular thugs and henchmen expected to ever beat you? They're just, fodder. It just wouldn't feel natural to me, story-wise, if there would be some random thug who actually beats Spider-Man like that.

Although, I love the idea of forming some familiarity with some random thugs we see, kind of like Turk from Netflix's Daredevil, or Spider-Gwen's Bodega Bandit. Heh, Bodega Bandit.

I initially thought I'd be up for a morality system but I think I'd take a strong, well-defined story arc over the illusion of choice.

Also, I know I'm a few posts behind but I'm also not in favor of special web fluid. I feel like there's enough in the "purity" of Spider-Man to fill a game's worth of mechanics. Special web fluids feel like the gimmick you put into the 3rd or 4th game when you're out of ideas to keep the base mechanics fresh. I saw somewhere in the E3 coverage a mention of Spidey's improvisational combat style and I'd much rather have to use the environment to lure say, Electro to a hydrant or water tower than use some special web fluid against him.

I agree about the Web fluids. Keep it simple.

You know, I don't want the black and white choices that games like inFAMOUS provide players.

Give us a more greyed out sense of morality. Like, a choice between going to visit Mary Jane's stage play whilst knowing that there MIGHT be an attack on a bank as you've been following a few criminals, etc.

Basically, make us choose between being Spidey and Peter. Make us make those difficult decisions he makes about choosing heroism over his personal life or vice versa.

Am I the only one who is intrigued by this?

thats bretty good

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Don't think that works for super-villains. Over-saturation devalues their appearance and the characters themselves. Look at The Joker in the Arkham games.

It wouldn't be over saturation because characters like Rhino, Doc Ock, Electro, Shocker, etc, would be random occurrences. Regular minions would level up and become more powerful, but they'd never quite reach the threat of a Green Goblin or Punisher. Certain districts would be more prone to crime sprees, but having to constantly stop Shocker or The Wrecking Crew, or The Enforcers while free roaming through the city wouldn't devalue their appearances, especially if appearances can stack. Ie; you're swinging around the city, and your Spider-Sense lets you know that trouble is nearby. You swing to the threat, and it's the Rhino, causing shenanigans. Normally, this type of event would be a boss fight, but because the location is randomly chosen, you're forced to improvise a way to stop Rhino.

But just as you're getting the hang of it, The Vulture appears out of nowhere. Again, a random trigger, spurred by the fact that earlier in the game you stopped him, and now he holds a grudge. So you're now wrestling with two threats, and it compounds when the local gang mooks get wind of your ground and air battle, and send in reinforcements for Vulture and Rhino. That could easily be an emergent gameplay scenario that would be spurred by something like the nemesis system.

Devaluing a super villain would be if he showed up in every Spider-Man game after this one, and is always the focal point. Like Magneto in the X-Men movies, and The Joker in every Batman game.

There are villains in the Spideran universe that will always keep coming back and posing a threat. The Enforcers, Shocker, Mysterio, Kraven, Electro, Hammerhead, etc, etc, are all kind of low level threats that Spider-Man is always dealing with. You'd want to save the big dogs like Wilson Fisk and Green Goblin and Venom, Hongoblin, and Carnage could be single game main antagonists, while this other guys can be mini-bosses or side quest villains, or random encounters from the nemesis system.

EDIT: regarding the nemesis system in a superhero game, it would obviously be tweaked and not an exact copy/paste of the Mordor one. It's not like players don't die while playing these types of games, but it would be more along the lines of defeating enemies or a particular gang enough times raises the hostility level of the gang. After reaching maximum irritation, perhaps they send out a super tough hired gun to take out Spider-Man, maybe they even hire a named villain like Electro to kill you. Defeating their top level lieutenant wilL lower your heat with that gang until you raise it again, and the cycle begins anew. The top guy you defeated will hold yet grudge and become your nemesis, and maintaining constant heat with the gang he's affiliated with will see him becoming outfitted with more and more gear and weapons to make him/her even more deadly to you.

Something along those lines. Again a 1:1 copy of the nemesis system wouldn't work in a game like this, but the core idea of building up rivalries with minions would.

edotlee

This is a good time to be a Spider-man fan. The current comics are great (both Peter Parker and Miles Morales), the upcoming Spider-man movie looks hype with Marvel's backing, and now this, Insomniac's game. It's incredibly satisfying to see my favorite superhero being utilized so properly. It seems I've been waiting a millennium, but I'm glad everything seems to be coming to fruition.

Neoxon

Mmm. God. That was so good. I haven't listened to this beauty in ages, so thanks for posting that.

We can play music in the background while playing a game on the PS4, right...? Or is that an upcoming feature? Because I recall reading something about that.
You have to load the song onto a USB flash drive, but you can play music in the background.

Marvel seems really involved with the game so I'd be pretty surprised if they don't help with the marketing, at the very least they'll use their social media channels to promote it. And no doubt the channels Disney owns will be be playing the TV ad the game will inevitably have.

Jiraiza

This Spider-Man isn't going to get killed off randomly like the Spider-Man from the MvC universe, right?

Jokes aside, I'm glad Marvel's pushing Spider-Man, my personal GOAT in the entire Marvel universe.

Guys, I'm too hyped for this. My favorite superhero developed by freaking Insomniac. And I thought they couldnt make me happier this year after the wonderful Ratchet and Clank.

I can't wait until 2018. I just can't.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I've got a good feeling it'll hit 2017
Insomniac certainly likes to keep busy, so 2017 seems like a good bet. They rarely miss a year with a major release, so unless they have something else planned for 2017 that they haven't announced (maybe SO2?), I'd wager 2017 as well.

I feel like their Oculus initiatives, the success of R&C reimagining, and this deal apparently being a long term multi-game deal kinda implies any plans for SO2 is gonna be on the back burner for a long long time.

Alternating between Ratchet & Spidey should take up a bulk of the studio's manpower unless they expand to be able to have a 3rd large scale project running .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom