• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 introduces Pearl and Marina, Icecream vs. Icrecream Splatfest

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just managed to preorder the green/pink Joy-Cons from Amazon Spain. They are shipping to Argentina, so that's great! Also ordered the Splatoon Pro Controller and case. Now I need a yellow left Joy-Con to replace my faulty blue (it has the signal loss problem), and I'm all set.

Does anyone know at what time do games become available for purchase on the US eShop?

I'm actually pretty curious about nintendo's plan for splatoon 2 esports. The exhibition they held at E3 was super fun and that was actually the first time I've watched a match of splatoon. Was what made me interested.

I turned that on with the intent of watching like one match and ending up watching the whole thing. Really fun! I'll keep an eye on the competitive scene going forward as a result.

Jintor

I'm actually pretty curious about nintendo's plan for splatoon 2 esports. The exhibition they held at E3 was super fun and that was actually the first time I've watched a match of splatoon. Was what made me interested.

that was an incredible leap above splat 1. i watched a lot of koshien and splatournaments and besides the language barrier splat 1 is just impossible to follow without a map cam. There's no good overall sense of the ebb and flow of battle if you can't zoom out or switch between players on the fly.

The commentary team of course helped

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There's no good overall sense of the ebb and flow of battle.

fry.PNG

Waji

Yeah that's it if you want to perform the best.
Why is it better than joy-cons especially ?

Just managed to preorder the green/pink Joy-Cons from Amazon Spain. They are shipping to Argentina, so that's great! Also ordered the Splatoon Pro Controller and case. Now I need a yellow left Joy-Con to replace my faulty blue (it has the signal loss problem), and I'm all set.
The left one becomes flawless after adding the foam near the antenna.

Really? Is this an easy thing to do? I'll look into it once I get my new Joy-Cons, just in case I mess something up.

You should be able to contact Nintendo and send them in for a free repair.

Edit: Oh wait, you're in Argentina? Hmm, not sure about customer service in that case.

Waji

Really? Is this an easy thing to do? I'll look into it once I get my new Joy-Cons, just in case I mess something up.
I did it pretty easily and I'm not especially a tech guy. You just need to know how to screw/unscrew stuff (not really a skill...).
And in case you need to exactly see what to open/move and how, there are plenty of videos.
It takes 10 minutes if you very slow and careful (basically 4 triwing screws outside, then 3 inside with a + type, you might need to push the battery up to unscrew one.
You put the foam then the screws back. Finished.

The only thing is that you need a tiny screwdriver (with at least 2 different heads I guess) and some antistatic black foam. I got some from my brother who buys computer components.
But I'm sure I saw this type of foam in other pachages before.

It doesn't look easy at first but if for some reason sending to Nintendo is unapealing or impossible, it's really easy to do, trust me.
And since I did it, my left joy con never even have the slightest problem.

Only the right one doesn't seem to get to the same level. But mostly when I play Zelda for some reason.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You should be able to contact Nintendo and send them in for a free repair.

Edit: Oh wait, you're in Argentina? Hmm, not sure about customer service in that case.
Yup, imported my Switch from UK, so sadly that will be impossible.

I did it pretty easily and I'm not especially a tech guy. You just need to know how to screw/unscrew stuff (not really a skill...).
And in case you need to exactly see what to open/move and how, there are plenty of videos.
It takes 10 minutes if you very slow and careful (basically 4 triwing screws outside, then 3 inside with a + type, you might need to push the battery up to unscrew one.
You put the foam then the screws back. Finished.

The only thing is that you need a tiny screwdriver (with at least 2 different heads I guess) and some antistatic black foam. I got some from my brother who buys computer components.
But I'm sure I saw this type of foam in other pachages before.

It doesn't look easy at first but if for some reason sending to Nintendo is unapealing or impossible, it's really easy to do, trust me.
And since I did it, my left joy con never even have the slightest problem.

Only the right one doesn't seem to get to the same level. But mostly when I play Zelda for some reason.
Thanks a lot! I'll try this eventually.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm rewatching Off the Hook and it really makes you appreicate how far their animation modelling has come.

Squid Sisters Debut
Holy crap this looks so garbage. They don't even have shadows. The animations themselves are okay but the camerawork and general look is amateur source filmmaker levels of weird.

First Splatfest Performances
Better, more lively at least

First Holoconcert
Now we're talking

Off the Hook
A whole new freaking level of bounciness and movement. Pearl in particular has incredibly stylish and energetic animation, but don't sleep on Marina's little twirls and sashays. I think OtH also benefits from not just mirroring the performance of the other, too.

God they better have OtH holoconcerts.

Yeah, the holoconcerts will be amazing given the different roles of singer/keyboard and rap. I love that technology, Miku concerts have gotten fucking insane in terms of quality and animation.

Look how the Squid Sisters animation already improved a TON on just their second holo thing: https://youtu.be/jOtjUG5PXlE?t=479, timecoded for a new song

edit oh god now i'm hooked on amazing Miku concerts again. Just fucking imagine being here live lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpbbP8oh1p4

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Probably missed this, but in the full game you can play with less than 4 friends right? Like 2 or 3? The beta forced you to have all 4 to play with friends.

mas8705

I was about to ask about the title of "ice cream vs ice cream" since I could swear that was half of my experience with the splatfest last weekend. It wasn't until 4 or 5 games did I start to get paired up with cake opponents.

Has any big Switch game gone up for preorder or preload yet? Also when do games launch? I know the 3DS was really inconsistent about that.

Probably missed this, but in the full game you can play with less than 4 friends right? Like 2 or 3? The beta forced you to have all 4 to play with friends.

You can go into parties of 2 or 4.

ChrisD

Has any big Switch game gone up for preorder or preload yet? Also when do games launch? I know the 3DS was really inconsistent about that.

You can go into parties of 2 or 4.

Is there any reason 3 people + a filled in random can't be a thing, btw? I can't think of any logical ideas.

Strider

Is there any reason 3 people + a filled in random can't be a thing, btw? I can't think of any logical ideas.

For Turf War... Not that I can think of. But they don't let you queue with parties there at all unfortunately :/ You just join your friends lobbies and randomly play with and against them.

But for League Battle they don't allow anyone to solo queue that playlist so it has to be parties of 2 or 4 as there'd be no solo queuing random to potentially match with.

Wouldn't work for either mode. In fests Team battles are separate from Solo battles for the purposes of scoring. Wanting to keep the scores "pure" is probably also why you have no duo option for fests.

As for League Battles, there are no solos in League. It's a completely separate mode from Ranked. It's also meant to be a "serious" mode so they probably don't want to deal with balancing 3v3s for it so that would be out too.
Is that just for the "Tournament Mode"? That would cover the ranked modes, but I haven't heard anything about playing with friends in turf war.
You just join your friends' room and play on random teams and with randoms and shit like in 1.

Is Splatoon 2 still worth buying for the single player mode?

Keep in mind that I have never played a previous version of the game.

I really liked the single player in the first game, but aInfoubd I played that when taking a break from online more than anything so it's hard to give a solid recommendation

epmode

Is Splatoon 2 still worth buying for the single player mode?

Keep in mind that I have never played a previous version of the game.

The first game had a great single player mode. It's too short for $60 but the clever level design reminded me of Mario Galaxy. The few impressions I've read of Splatoon 2 make it sound like the campaign is a bit more polished but it's still not the main draw.

I was about to ask about the title of "ice cream vs ice cream" since I could swear that was half of my experience with the splatfest last weekend. It wasn't until 4 or 5 games did I start to get paired up with cake opponents.

I may just have to pick Pearl's side to balance shit out in the future. I hope this isn't going to be a legitimate problem though.

Geg

Yeah it's at 11 eastern I think.

Also it looks like the street date is starting to be broken in scattered places; I've seen tweets from people in France and Japan who have the game already

13ruce

Banned
Yeah it's at 11 eastern I think.

Also it looks like the street date is starting to be broken in scattered places; I've seen tweets from people in France and Japan who have the game already

Time for a gamefaqs and reddit and youtube blackout then for me. Don't wanna have the final boss spoiled from the campaign.

Does anyone know if Nintendo normally has games up for pre-load? I have a flight early on Friday morning and would really like to be able to play at least the single player on the plane.

Does anyone know if Nintendo normally has games up for pre-load? I have a flight early on Friday morning and would really like to be able to play at least the single player on the plane.

I don't think the Switch has preload yet, but the games usually go live digitally at Midnight so you could always wake up (or stay up) and start it and go back to bed!

molnizzle

They don't.

Their first party Switch games have all released at midnight eastern time though.

Has the game gone up for digital preorder yet?

Nintendo has yet to take digital pre-orders on Switch.

ACE 1991

Amazon is such bullshit. Cancelled my physical copy so I could pre-order digital, and I can't use my Amazon credit card points towards the digital version. Ugh.

Top Bottom