• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 introduces Pearl and Marina, Icecream vs. Icrecream Splatfest

There's nothing more satisfying than splatting inkjetters with the vertical roller.

Yeah personally that's why I stuck to the dualies. Inkjet you can probably land more kills, but you are so vulnerable to snipers and rollers who can one shot you. You also have to be close to your targets for the inkjet so you'll get show down pretty easy against good players.

It's the high noon of splatoon. You might catch some people off guard but I use it as a way to zone. I only solo queued, but I imagine if you are playing with a team that's communicating, it would be useful in pushing the enemy back to retake turf or help distract enemies while your team goes in on them.

Pretty much. Most of the supers in this game are better used as support than actually killing folks.

Izayoi

Banned
Is there any way to make it so you can aim up and down with the stick AND use the motion aiming?
No, much to my chagrin.

It would be very usable if it worked like that, I imagine. I would love to hear an explanation from the developers as to why this is not an option.

yananana

Do any of you guys going to grab one of the Splatoon 2 amiibos at the game release? Some of the outfits they give looks pretty nice, though I don't know how unlocking them works. (if you have to do something else other than setting it on the NFC Reader)

Yukinari

Tenta Missles, Stingray and Inkjet seem like they wanted to tone down the power or crutch that specials give you.

I have yet to see someone contribute to the match with the stingray. Its not for area denial so what is it for exactly?

Busaiku

Do any of you guys going to grab one of the Splatoon 2 amiibos at the game release? Some of the outfits they give looks pretty nice, though I don't know how does unlocking them works.
In the first game, you got bonus missions which you had to beat.
It was just the old levels with different weapons.
Since that's already in, dunno how it'll be different now.

yananana

In the first game, you got bonus missions which you had to beat.
It was just the old levels with different weapons.
Since that's already in, dunno how it'll be different now.

Oh that's interesting, and yeah I don't think they mentioned how it'll works in the Nintendo Direct, so I guess we'll have to wait until Friday. I also have the Squid Sisters amiibos from the first game, and as they're also compatible with Splatoon 2, hoping some sort of rewards would also be here.

What's the day/time for the review embargo?

July 18th, no idea for the time though.

Izayoi

Banned
Sorry to reiterate, but I was curious if it was confirmed that you can queue with less than 4 players in Team for non-Splatfest playlists.

Geg

Sorry to reiterate, but I was curious if it was confirmed that you can queue with less than 4 players in Team for non-Splatfest playlists.

If it's anything like the first game, there won't be a "team" option for regular turf wars and it'll just be joining a room with your friends and getting put into the regular turf system of being put on random teams. I haven't seen anything about a team option for turf wars.

For ranked modes there's battle league, which has an option for 2 players and 4 players.

iKhameleon

Neo Member
Tenta Missiles are great when used correctly. Don't just pull them out immediately just because your gauge fills up. I tend to wait till I get a good vantage point of the play field, higher ground if I can. Pay attention to how many of the other team is currently alive. You won't get any/many targets otherwise. You might not splat someone every time, but you'll get some nice ink coverage, sometimes in harder to reach areas on the enemy's side. You'll also get the enemy fleeing the missile impact areas, often making it easier for your team mates to splat them.

Kudo

Tenta Missiles are great when used correctly. Don't just pull them out immediately just because your gauge fills up. I tend to wait till I get a good vantage point of the play field, higher ground if I can. Pay attention to how many of the other team is currently alive. You won't get any/many targets otherwise. You might not splat someone every time, but you'll get some nice ink coverage, sometimes in harder to reach areas on the enemy's side. You'll also get the enemy fleeing the missile impact areas, often making it easier for your team mates to splat them.

In Moray Towers if you can get your Special quickly it was pretty easy to just go back up your tower and shoot it from there, could get whole enemy team targeted.

atr0cious

Ah I loathed it when people did that. You're one of them!

Killing one was the moment the controls clicked for me.

instazwjbi.gif

Felt really good.

Izayoi

Banned
If it's anything like the first game, there won't be a "team" option for regular turf wars and it'll just be joining a room with your friends and getting put into the regular turf system of being put on random teams. I haven't seen anything about a team option for turf wars.
not like this

;_;

For ranked modes there's battle league, which has an option for 2 players and 4 players.

not like this

;_;

In the original game later on they added two options. You could have a team of two and be grouped with other teams of two for a 4v4 or you can do a special team of 3 and put yourself against rando 4 team groups. I would expect those options to come back.

Izayoi

Banned
In the original game later on they added two options. You could have a team of two and be grouped with other teams of two for a 4v4 or you can do a special team of 3 and put yourself against rando 4 team groups. I would expect those options to come back.
This is great news, thank you for the heads-up! I never played the original long enough to see those options so this is new to me.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Reposting this because I'm still looking for an answer. If anyone knows how this works and can explain it, that'd be really helpful. Thanks! :)

I tried to play with a friend, so I set up a room. However, after we were both in the room and had confirmed joining the team, nothing seemed to happen. Did we need to have a full room of 4 to play together and actually play against others?

If the above is true, will this still be the case once the app launches? (I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this yet.)

Sendou

Reposting this because I'm still looking for an answer. If anyone knows how this works and can explain it, that'd be really helpful. Thanks! :)

Splatfest only supports squads of 4. Either you can queue up by yourself or with 3 of your friends.

Final version supports both 2 and 4 player squads.

atr0cious

For splatfest probably, since it seems that's gonna be the deciding algorithm this time. Ranked allows for duos, or teams of 3-4, with separate queues for each.

RagnarokX

this weapon is shitty honestly, it's way too easy to avoid! Never killed anyone with it and always avoied it without hassle

There's more to fighting than killing. Even if they don't kill they have to be dodged, which can flush the enemy out of cover or give them too much to deal with while fighting one of your teammates. Also, the point is to spread ink, so if you get a quad lock that's a LOT of ink being spread.

Sendou

this weapon is shitty honestly, it's way too easy to avoid! Never killed anyone with it and always avoied it without hassle

Missiles are without question a top tier special. Just needs your team to take advantage of them.

Ink Jet & Missiles - Will definitely be considered higher tier of specials.

Splashdown - Not especially bad or good. We'll see.

Stingray - Only a matter of time when it gets buffed. It was really bad...

At all? Interesting. I guess it doesn't matter that much, just a little harder to fill a spot.

At least not for ranked modes. Although I'm kind of expecting a squad function for Turf War as well unless they're trying to make it a "special" thing for Splatfests.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
You had to have 4 people to group up and play. I've been told this is only the case for Splatfests.

Splatfest only supports squads of 4. Either you can queue up by yourself or with 3 of your friends.

Final version supports both 2 and 4 player squads.

For splatfest probably, since it seems that's gonna be the deciding algorithm this time. Ranked allows for duos, or teams of 3-4, with separate queues for each.

Thank you! So it sounds like:

Splatfests: solo or 4-person teams
Ranked: solo, 2-person, or 4-person teams
Turf Wars (me guessing): solo, 2-person, or 4-person teams

Hopefully that's right. Thanks for your help!

Sendou

Thank you! So it sounds like:

Splatfests: solo or 4-person teams
Ranked: solo, 2-person, or 4-person teams
Turf Wars (me guessing): solo, 2-person, or 4-person teams

Hopefully that's right. Thanks for your help!

Yes that is correct but the Turf War part is only speculation. In Splatoon 1 you could join a Turf War game yourself and then your friend could join you. The catch here was that you could either be placed in the same team or play against each other.

Lucent

I give no shits about the idols, I'll pick based on the choice.

This is how it should be. Otherwise everyone will always be on Marina's side and the people who happen to choose what Pearl picks (not because they prefer Pearl but actually prefer what she's representing) will have to do more to win because they'll have to win both team and solo because Marina is always guaranteed the popularity vote. Feel like the one way to prevent this is to have a single character just say "it's this versus this" instead of Pearl and Marina being opposites on everything.

But hey. That's just an opinion. A GAMING opinion. Thanks for watching!

Wonder what the odds are of Pearl experiencing a Poplio-esque resurgence.

As it stands, her role in the story might as well be shouting at Callie: "You defected and became a villain because you were marginally less popular than your costar, huh? I feel soooooooo bad for you."

Schlep

Played a bit yesterday. Just cancelled my Amazon preorder.

To buy the digital one. I need instant gratification with this game.

ACE 1991

Ok, so my Amazon pre-order says "Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."

Should I assume that I'm not going to get release date delivery? Wondering if I should cancel and just go digital.

Hyoukokun

Played a bit yesterday. Just cancelled my Amazon preorder.

To buy the digital one. I need instant gratification with this game.
Ha! I did the same thing. Wasn't going to be around for delivery on Friday, plus this feels like a game I want immediately accessible rather than dealing with swapping carts.

Strider

Yea I don't agree with people that say missiles are garbage.

The value from tentamissiles doesn't come too often from direct kills... Its value comes from forcing opponents into bad situations or away from power positions on the map (since they are forced to move). You and your team just gotta take advantage of this when it happens.

Top Bottom